RealGunner
Chumlum
Raptorgunner
Rev
Jay29
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Brighton and Hove Albion 2 - 3 Arsenal: Hard work but through in the end Empty Brighton and Hove Albion 2 - 3 Arsenal: Hard work but through in the end

Post by Jay29 Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:00 pm

First Half

The start to the game was fairly drab from both sides. I expected Brighton to start the game well, but they didn't seem too confident about taking the game to us and stood off us more than they should have. For us, I thought we started a bit sloppily, giving away the ball one too many times and didn't settle into any sort of rhythm.

Our first goal came on the counter attack. Rosicky took the ball down the right hand side, passed it across the box to Podolski who simply laid it off for Giroud to curl into the top corner from just outside the area. Easily the best goal he's scored as an Arsenal player this season.

Unfortunately, Arsenal didn't push on from there. Their build-up was often too slow and one too many players weren't involved enough or having off games; usually, the guys who hadn't played that much recently like Jenkinson, Diaby, Rosicky and Chamberlain.

One particular problem area was our left flank, manned by Andre Santos and Podolski. Santos looked completely lost no matter what he was doing. More often than not, he was disconnected from the rest of the back four and pressed and tracked the wrong man. Him and Podolski had zero understanding. Podolski also tracked the wrong man a couple of times while Santos made no effort to make overlapping runs.

Brighton quickly recognised this weakness and focused almost all their play down that side. They created a couple of decent chances by doing so and won a corner that lead to their first equaliser.

The defending for that corner was non-existent. As the ball comes in, six Arsenal players standing on the edge of the six yard box do nothing. Two Brighton players get in behind completely unchallenged. Szczesny comes and waits for the ball, rather than challenging for it. The result, inevitably, was that the Brighton player beat the keeper to the ball and they equalised.

Second Half

The second half wasn't much of an improvement from either side. Brighton weren't much of a threat and we still hadn't managed to put a decent passing move together.

We found a way a goal, though, eventually. Diaby clipped a long ball into the path of Giroud, who took it down excellently before finding the back of the net. Another high quality goal from him and his fourth this week.

But Arsenal being Arsenal let Brighton back into the game. They attacked down our left again and Andre Santos did absolutely nothing to prevent the cross. The cross ended up being a very good one and Ulloa, who Mertesacker should have been marking, scores a simple tap in.

Wenger responded by bringing on Wilshere and Walcott and our general play improved a bit. We had better control over the game in the last few minutes and managed to get the winner when Walcott's shot was deflected in.

Performance secondary to progression

Usually, I would be criticising the fact that our performance dropped from mid-week but with five key players rested it's not surprising we didn't play as well. Guys like Diaby and Rosicky are very rusty and need games, while Jenkinson and Chamberlain haven't played in a while. Santos is a bad player lacking fitness, so he was always going to be a disaster.

The defensive errors are nothing new, unfortunately, so I won't go on about them.

Ultimately, the most important thing was progressing to the next round. We managed to do so, albeit making harder work it than necessary, without the need of a replay. Nothing much to complain about, really.

Last edited by GoonerJay29 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Brighton and Hove Albion 2 - 3 Arsenal: Hard work but through in the end Empty Re: Brighton and Hove Albion 2 - 3 Arsenal: Hard work but through in the end

Post by Rev Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:03 pm

Just glad it's behind us, now to pick up some form before the Bayern match. albino
Rev
Rev
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Brighton and Hove Albion 2 - 3 Arsenal: Hard work but through in the end Empty Re: Brighton and Hove Albion 2 - 3 Arsenal: Hard work but through in the end

Post by Raptorgunner Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:05 pm

Please no hate on Santos, Very Happy Wenger believes in him and we all should trust Wenger. :bow:

Now I can see what Wenger saying, we have 2 players in every position. :bow: Brighton and Hove Albion 2 - 3 Arsenal: Hard work but through in the end Drunk-vs-stairs-QWOP

Last edited by Raptorgunner on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:10 pm

Positives are that a handful of rusty players got some game time, and Wenger was able to bring strong players off the bench to secure the win. Cazorla rested.

Santos ... I like the guy's personality, and statistics indicate he did a respectable job for us last season - you could say in 2011-2012 he was overpriced, or not good enough, but he wasn't an abject failure. But by now the guy is a real liability, I think Wenger sees it (cue Gibbs taking his place).
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:12 pm

Was a typical cup game. brighton were looking up for it but we managed it in the end.

Losing the lead twice wasn't pretty. But Getting the winning goal for once was good so not complaining too much

Giroud is finally there. Took him a long time to settle but finally he is ready. Walcott is a completely different player. So mature in his decisions and when he has the ball, u know he will do something instead of wasting it.

Santos. lol

Gibbs <3

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:14 pm

giroud is ready to what? do well against a championship team?
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:15 pm

is it safe to say 100% Arteta won't start the wednesday game ?

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:15 pm

Mert is so weak, the guy needs to work out, he gets pushed around by every player.

Walcott should have passed it to Giroud for hattrick, not sure what he was thinking trying score in tight angel.

Just happy we dont have to replay the game.

Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:17 pm

Harry Redknapp wrote:is it safe to say 100% Arteta won't start the wednesday game ?

Please no, I hope he starts, Ramsey will be disaster.

Sepi enjoying the cold weather? Laughing
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:19 pm

and walcott looks the same to me. countless times on recent games he had a chance to pass the ball but kept on running with it, all the way till he fell over.

i am not pleased about that performance, if we hadnt brought gibbs and jack on i think we would be out now
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:20 pm

Raptorgunner wrote:
Harry Redknapp wrote:is it safe to say 100% Arteta won't start the wednesday game ?

Please no, I hope he starts, Ramsey will be disaster.

Sepi enjoying the cold weather? Laughing

I just drove to yorkdale, and it raped me. next week is gonna be better though banana

p.s. I hope Arteta doesn't make it, because in our new formation Suarez plays in the hole, and he clashes with opposition DMs as opposed to CBs.

much rather Suarez pressures Ramsey on the ball as opposed to Arteta

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:21 pm

50-50.

Pressing arteta will give you a better result than ramsey lol
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Diego Armando Maradona wrote:and walcott looks the same to me. countless times on recent games he had a chance to pass the ball but kept on running with it, all the way till he fell over.

i am not pleased about that performance, if we hadnt brought gibbs and jack on i think we would be out now

I agree.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:25 pm

RealGunner wrote:

50-50.

Pressing arteta will give you a better result than ramsey lol

RG and his favourites :bow:

art_morte of Arsenal section :bow:

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:27 pm

nah lol, Arteta is one of my favourite arsenal players. It's just that pressing Arteta makes us play really shit.

Although with Wilshere and Diaby it won't be that bad now.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:29 pm

RealGunner wrote:nah lol, Arteta is one of my favourite arsenal players. It's just that pressing Arteta makes us play really shit.

wouldn't it be Diaby's 3rd game in 10 days though ?

I am hoping if he starts, he'll be not sharp and JADED

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:29 pm

Tougher than it should be.. They really were the better team in the first half and our defense makes me lose whatever hope is left in me.. Bould wth are u doing ? Set piece and Zonal defending errors keep happening...
We die hard and score goals and our defense concede such easy goals.. this is what which has costed us big matches.. you wont get away with such a defense against big teams with quality players.. remember the soft goals against City and Chelsea.. We know we cant expose Metskr pace, but he has a bit of softness/laziness above it.. he is not alert or reactive often caught sleeping when mistakes happen.. he needs to be alert given our fast and error prone style of game play..
Many of the players like Rosicky, Jenko, Diaby looked out of touch initially but improved as game progressed.. Happy that Giroud is finding his confidence back.. We looked threatening when Wilshere, Walcott and Gibbs came in..

Positives..
Rest for key players.. gametime for Rosicky and Jenko..
Our first team except for the defense and gk looked good..
Santos erasing all the doubts about his capability..(if something was left)
Giroud building his confidence..

Sczeny - 5
Santos - 3
Kos - 5
Metskr - 5
Jenko - 5
Diaby - 6
Ramsey - 5
Rosicky - 6
Ox - 5
Giroud - 7
Podolski - 6
Wilshere - 7
Walcott- 6
Gibbs - 7
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:37 pm

Raptorgunner wrote:
Diego Armando Maradona wrote:and walcott looks the same to me. countless times on recent games he had a chance to pass the ball but kept on running with it, all the way till he fell over.

I agree.
he should get the stick for this.. Clubber the kid is too selfish and goes for glory at the least opportunity.. he is a good finisher but that doesnt mean he dont need to pass the ball.. i hate his attitude...
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:39 pm

Wilson37 wrote:
Raptorgunner wrote:

I agree.
he should get the stick for this.. Clubber the kid is too selfish and goes for glory at the least opportunity.. he is a good finisher but that doesnt mean he dont need to pass the ball.. i hate his attitude...

It would have been almost a tap in for Giroud had he passed it.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:43 pm

Wait, you're slating Walcott for being selfish in one instance of play? :facepalm:

Can the guy do anything without having some criticism levelled at him? He's playing with so much confidence right now. He's beating his man consistently and he's in amongst the goals. He's not selfish at all. When has he actually tried to take on one man too many or take shots from impossible angles or distances, for example?

Seriously, where has this selfish nonsense come from?

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:51 pm

I prefer a selfish Walcott over the inconsistent one 2 years ago
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:52 pm

Its not one instance at all. He thinks he is some big shot striker now. When you say beating i think you mean running into
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:53 pm

Harry Redknapp wrote:
RealGunner wrote:nah lol, Arteta is one of my favourite arsenal players. It's just that pressing Arteta makes us play really shit.

wouldn't it be Diaby's 3rd game in 10 days though ?

I am hoping if he starts, he'll be not sharp and JADED

Don't worry about the Jaded problem Laughing

it takes us 45 mins to warm up so if you score 2 in the 1st half, game is gone lol

And diaby didn't play against west ham. so 2 games in 4 days unless We play Ramsey-Wilshere-Cazorla midfield ( that could happen if Arteta is unfit)
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:55 pm

Diego Armando Maradona wrote:Its not one instance at all. He thinks he is some big shot striker now. When you say beating i think you mean running into
he always had big attitude.. some may call that confidence when it pays off..
GoonerJay29 wrote:Wait, you're slating Walcott for being selfish in one instance of play? :facepalm:

Can the guy do anything without having some criticism levelled at him? He's playing with so much confidence right now. He's beating his man consistently and he's in amongst the goals. He's not selfish at all. When has he actually tried to take on one man too many or take shots from impossible angles or distances, for example?

Seriously, where has this selfish nonsense come from?
we are not talking about him taking on players.. whenever he has a sight of goal he goes for the finish without bothering to pass to the players who are in a better position.. this has happened so frequently in many matches in the last one month.. it is like he wants to score himself more and prove that he is the goal scorer.. may be because he wants to play CF.. but he needs to be happy to lay the ball for other players especially when he is playing on the right..

Last edited by Wilson37 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:57 pm

I, for one, am glad someone has the balls to shoot for goal instead of tippy tapping it around the goal line

Walcott's "selfishness" basically won us the game today

Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum