Highburied
McAgger
Collblanc
RedOranje
10 posters

Go down

Respect to Robbie Rogers Empty Respect to Robbie Rogers

Post by RedOranje Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:47 pm

The former US international revealed he is gay, earlier today. He joins the USWNT's Megan Rapinoe as openly homosexual US footy players.

Unfortunately, the 25yo has also announced his retirement after several injury hit seasons. As much as I'd like to believe the two announcements are unrelated it seems unlikely.

Still, it took massive courage to come out and he deserves massive respect for this decision..

Last edited by RedOranje on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Respect to Robbie Rogers Empty Re: Respect to Robbie Rogers

Post by Collblanc Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:49 pm

Thumbs up
Collblanc
Collblanc
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:57 pm

Great courage to come out. Thumbs up
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:58 pm

:bow:

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Mon May 06, 2013 5:16 am

Quickly losing the patience and respect that I initially felt for him following his coming out... it's beginning to look as though he's used his coming out partially as a bargaining ploy in a bid to secure a move to a club other than Chicago, and that is honestly disrespectful to the Chicago Fire, MLS, and others who have struggled with the decision to reveal their homosexuality.

In less than 3 months he's gone from stating he could never play again after his coming out to training and stating he would like to come back...

The hottest commodity flirting with Major League Soccer right now isn't Frank Lampard or Herculez Gomez. It's Robbie Rogers.

Since the former Columbus Crew man and onetime US international returned to the training pitch last week, he's been the most talked-about import in the league, with three teams publicly saying they were interested in his services.

But what does the man himself think? For the first time on Sunday, Rogers provided some insight on what his future holds. A return to MLS? Looks like it. But fans of the Chicago Fire – who hold his MLS rights – may not like his explanation.

"I don’t want to go to Chicago," Rogers told the Soccer Today podcast. "I think if it comes down to, 'You can only play in Chicago,' then I probably won’t go back. I need to do it somewhere where I’m totally 100 percent comfortable so … I would most likely do it closest to my family."

Rogers, who grew up not far from the Home Depot Center, has been training with the LA Galaxy for the past week at the invitation of the club – and with the permission of the Fire. It's been his first official work with a professional team since his February announcement that he is gay and was taking an indefinite break from soccer.

As time has gone on, and based on the positive reaction he has received from the MLS and U.S. Soccer community, speculation has grown that he could return to the game. It looks like that time could be closer, according to the 25-year-old, who told Soccer Today there is "a really good chance" he'll be back.

“I just need a bit more time to evaluate and to see how things play out," he continued, "but I’ve really enjoyed myself [with the Galaxy]. It feels normal to be back."
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/05/05/report-robbie-rogers-says-really-good-chance-hell-return-i-dont-want-go-chic

And yes, I am more than a little bitter. He's basically smacked my club in the face and used an underhanded method to attempt to force a move by manipulating a very touchy subject... And talk is that Garber may force Chicago to accept whatever deal LA offer, thereby ruining any potential bargaining power the Fire have, so effective was Rogers' ploy.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Mon May 06, 2013 6:38 am

It could have totally been that he is using that to force a trade..

but this could also be a real reason He might be incredibly sensitive about the subject, and is afraid he might face a lot of backlash from other players/fans now that hes out and being closer to home would make him more comfortable. I think it is understandable.

Because at one point he did seem like he wanted to retire and was only comfortable coming out after the fact. But maybe the story with Jason Collins, or a few other factors came into play to motivate him to come back.. Maybe it was actually someone in his family who suggested it, and he feels he wants to be closer to them for support. Who knows. I think he should get the benefit of the doubt, for now at least..
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Mon May 06, 2013 6:42 am

I would be more open to giving him the benefit of the doubt if he hadn't tweeted his disappointment at Chicago gaining his rights a couple of weeks prior to coming out and "retiring." The fact that he did so, however, is what causes me suspect that his announcement was somewhat duplicitous.

RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by I Have Mono Mon May 06, 2013 6:52 am

We will probably trade you someone garbage like Jimenez for him lol. I've never been impressed by Robbie Rodgers and didn't understand why he was even being called up to the National team but he is a definite upgrade over Jimenez.

Also He does have the Chicago Fire's permission to train with the Galaxy; Chicago could have easily told him no he can't train with the Galaxy.

And I don't think it's a coincidence that he wants to start playing again like 1 day after Jason Collins came out.

I Have Mono
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Mon May 06, 2013 7:02 am

You're right in that he has permission to train with LA, but that shouldn't clear him to say that he would like to come out of retirement only if he can get a move away from Chicago [to LA]. In fact, it's even more reason he shouldn't say something like that, as the club are attempting to accommodate him and he's repaid that consideration by slapping the club in the metaphoric face and putting them in an incredibly weak position for a potential transfer... especially if Garber gets involved.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Mon May 27, 2013 6:46 am

Robbie Rogers made his LA Galaxy debut Sunday night, coming on in the 77th minute against Seattle Sounders. With his debut he became the first openly gay male athlete to play in a U.S. professional league.

I've not agreed with how he's handled his transfer saga (if it could be called that) but that is all meaningless in the face of this. Once again, massive respect and kudos to Rogers. May his courage be a beacon of hope to all others who face the same internal and external struggles that he himself has and will continue to face. Let us all hope that this is a watershed event for acceptance and respect within sports in the US and worldwide.

#WelcomeBackRobbie
Respect to Robbie Rogers BLPw7cwCcAAeOch
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Mon May 27, 2013 6:56 am

Good on him.

Best of luck to him as well.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon May 27, 2013 11:55 am

It's all over the German footy news as well, huge respect to the MLS fans on your side of the pond, apparently he got huge ovations and cheers when he got on in the last quarter of the match. Mad respect for that, I hope that's what would happen in a Bundesliga match as well, but I'm just not too sure.

I really hope that soon the flood gates open and there'll be a mass of coming-outs, so this can finally be a normal thing. People shouldn't have to lie about who they are.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Mon May 27, 2013 2:48 pm

The Galaxy get free publicity, but at the same time get a real attacking left midfielder to open up the field and provide width and space for Keane to work his magic. Bruce Arena you sly bastard :bow:
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:18 am

MIKE F***ING MAGEE!!! Chaka

6 games for Chicago since Mike's arrived (2 Cup, 4 league).
5 wins (and 1 draw) since Mike's arrival.
6 appearances for Mike for Chicago.
6 goals scored for Mike since his transfer.
6 games scored in for Mike since donning Chicago red.

Thank you, Robbie. Proud

Thank you, Bruce. Proud

RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by schrutebucks Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:34 am

Oduro Proud

7 goals
schrutebucks
schrutebucks
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:38 am

Oduro has 7 goals on the season.

Magee has 6 in his last 6 games... and the winning goal tonight, against Columbus (10 in MLS this season).
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:48 am

RedOranje wrote:MIKE F***ING MAGEE!!!  Chaka

6 games for Chicago since Mike's arrived (2 Cup, 4 league).
5 wins (and 1 draw) since Mike's arrival.
6 appearances for Mike for Chicago.
6 goals scored for Mike since his transfer.
6 games scored in for Mike since donning Chicago red.

Thank you, Robbie. Proud

Thank you, Bruce. Proud

I knew it. Most lopsided trade in MLS History. Magee is a beast and robbie is what he is. Can't even believe the Galaxy ever even pondered this trade. Chicago to win the cup now, I can honestly see it happening.

Call up Magee Klinsmann
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:29 am

7 in 7 for Magee.
Thanks again, Robbie!

Also, in semi-related news: SCOTUS made some landmark rulings today striking down both Prop 8 and the Defense of Marriage Act. It's been a good day all-around, bar the 30 minute period in the afternoon where I nearly passed out due to heat and paint fumes.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down