+5
Forza
Red Alert
VanDeezNuts
Lex
samcooke1991
9 posters

Go down

Should Giggs' shirt number be retired? Empty Should Giggs' shirt number be retired?

Post by samcooke1991 Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:48 am

Mainly one for the United fans, as I for one until recently had no idea just how much he'd done for the clubs, in terms of records set etc etc - his testimonial was 12 years ago for crying out loud and hes still out there keeping the likes of Ronaldo quiet for most of the game.

http://blog.oddslife.com/2013/03/should-giggs-shirt-number-be-retired/ Both sides of the argument are included here but what are everyone else's thoughts?

Had a pretty opinionated argument with friends on the topic the other day - be interesting to see on which side the majority lands.
samcooke1991
samcooke1991
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : PSG

http://www.oddslife.com

Back to top Go down

Should Giggs' shirt number be retired? Empty Re: Should Giggs' shirt number be retired?

Post by Lex Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:50 am

He'll just order a court injunction blocking United from retiring it
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Should Giggs' shirt number be retired? Empty Re: Should Giggs' shirt number be retired?

Post by samcooke1991 Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:52 am

Lex wrote:He'll just order a court injunction blocking United from retiring it

Was wondering how many posts before a dig on that whole story came up , thought it'd take more than one hah
samcooke1991
samcooke1991
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : PSG

http://www.oddslife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:53 am

Meh maybe they should retire it but he has to retire first. And it doesn't look likely that SAf will let him anytime soon
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:37 am

if anyone deserves to have a number retired its giggs. he just had his 1000th appearance, ya?

how many players have reached that for 1 club.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:40 am

They'll probably retire it for a little while but it won't be permanently. Not many sides retire numbers for footballing reasons anymore.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:55 am

ynwa wrote:They'll probably retire it for a little while but it won't be permanently. Not many sides retire numbers for footballing reasons anymore.
Maldini had his number permanently retired in 09. It can only be taken by either of his 2 sons.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:36 am

vanDEEZ wrote:if anyone deserves to have a number retired its giggs. he just had his 1000th appearance, ya?

pretty sure his 1000 games count for club and country, he is at like 930 for united.

Correct me if I am wrong though.

I think if it was a less common number, say 17, then it would. Since it is 11, I doubt it.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:21 pm

Kick wrote:
vanDEEZ wrote:if anyone deserves to have a number retired its giggs. he just had his 1000th appearance, ya?

pretty sure his 1000 games count for club and country, he is at like 930 for united.

Correct me if I am wrong though.

I think if it was a less common number, say 17, then it would. Since it is 11, I doubt it.

ahh. makes sense. i just heard the commentators mention 1000 appearances i just assumed it was for united.

still though, i wonder how many players have reached 900 appearances for one club.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by paddy Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:05 pm

No. Giggs has been an amazing servant, but he has never been to Man Utd what say Maldini was to Milan, or Maradona was to Napoli, and that's the standard I'd hold a club to as regards retired numbers

paddy
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:47 am

Are you kidding me?

Giggs is arguably the best winger to ever play for United fighting against George Best. And he's also arguably the best to ever play in the PL. lol

Forza Rossoneri wrote:
ynwa wrote:They'll probably retire it for a little while but it won't be permanently. Not many sides retire numbers for footballing reasons anymore.
Maldini had his number permanently retired in 09. It can only be taken by either of his 2 sons.

Classy club. Still can't see United doing it.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Grooverider Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:59 am

paddy wrote:No. Giggs has been an amazing servant, but he has never been to Man Utd what say Maldini was to Milan, or Maradona was to Napoli, and that's the standard I'd hold a club to as regards retired numbers

this ^^
Grooverider
Grooverider
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:23 pm

give young 18 but retire giggs......... rofl
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:20 pm

TheRedStag wrote:give young 18 but retire giggs......... rofl

Scholes was almost sold at one point, They're not considered to have the same status at the club IMO. Giggs has been a better servant.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:30 pm

Kick wrote:
TheRedStag wrote:give young 18 but retire giggs......... rofl

Scholes was almost sold at one point, They're not considered to have the same status at the club IMO. Giggs has been a better servant.

*bleep* your better servant. Scholes pwns giggs. Even utd fans will back that.

Besides the point, retiring jerseys is fools talk. This is the modern age is it not?
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:33 pm

Curious to see who United fans prefer now.

it isn't fools talk either, I doubt it will be retired but I could see John Terry's number retired when he leaves the club so number retirng is still around.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down