Two-horse race coming to an end in Spain?

+18
izzy
Lord Awesome
Bear
Sushi Master
punkfusion1992
Alsteinenburg
Gil
hrealmadrid
Raptorgunner
EarlyPrototype
la_liga1
adnyana179
RealGunner
Doc
The Franchise
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Mr Nick09
teamanarchy
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Two-horse race coming to an end in Spain? Empty Two-horse race coming to an end in Spain?

Post by teamanarchy Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:52 pm

I wanted to move the argument away from the Piatti thread...
and try encompass the entire concept into one.
We all know Spain is a two-horse race.
3 is miles away from 1 and 2.
But is this coming to an end.
Qatari investment in Racing, Getafe, and Malaga.
Also Malaga have Pellegrini, a coach who has achieved second place in the league twice, once with Villareal...
Plus Valencia seems to be making some hot young signings including Parejo, Rami, Alves and Piatti.
Getafe, so I hear, are going to make a slow-ish transition into a debtless club before they do any spending, but they did just get the Spanish Messi, Pablo Sarabia...
I'm not sure about Racing.
Malaga-Thoulalan, Van Nistelrooy, Mathijsen and Joaquin, not to mention Baptista, Demichelis, Eliseau, Rondon and Duda are already there.

Is it possible that we aren't too far away from change?
teamanarchy
teamanarchy
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

https://www.facebook.com/#!/ks16152913

Back to top Go down

Two-horse race coming to an end in Spain? Empty Re: Two-horse race coming to an end in Spain?

Post by Mr Nick09 Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:55 pm

Qataris are only invested in Malaga, and they are being serious.

Racing got screwed by that indian dude, and team dubai is doing nothing so far.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Two-horse race coming to an end in Spain? Empty Re: Two-horse race coming to an end in Spain?

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:59 pm

I hate to break it to you, but quality is'nt the problem in Spain currently , the problem is mentality, no one in spain outside Barca and Madrid have the winning mentality required to make it competitive.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:59 pm

In short, no.

No other team is going to win the league.

It may or may not be closer, but its only one of us who will win in the end.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:02 pm

It's not going to happen overnight anyway, some team is goig to need a steady amount of investment and someone with enough balls and spirit to go after RM and barca both.

I have some hopes Malaga will do just that, they need to market their club well to fit into the bigger picture.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:03 pm

La Liga is quite far from the "Golden period" where the league title was won by single digit margins and I honestly believe it wouldn't change for the foreseeable future unless both Barcelona and Real Madrid have clusterf*** of seasons respectfully.

Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:03 pm

What dani said

it wont happen in the next 4-5 years, but it might happen in the next 10-15 years

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by adnyana179 Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:11 pm

It's very difficult to envision a club really challenging the top 2 anytime soon. A change in approach from these teams when facing RM and Barca would be a start, but there's still a considerable way to go.

The more capable teams are also quite inconsistent, losing games they really should be winning if they are to pose a threat.
adnyana179
adnyana179
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by la_liga1 Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:33 pm

la liga is a one horse race

la_liga1
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:36 pm

Things change very quickly in football. It wasn't that long ago that Deportivo gave everyone fits... all it takes is a good crop of young players, a bit of money and a president with some spine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:36 pm

la_liga1 wrote:la liga is a one horse race

Two-horse race coming to an end in Spain? Shitstorm
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:53 pm

I still think it will be a two horse race but I also think the gap will be much smaller at the end of next season and hopefully will get smaller and smaller every season.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:13 pm

Two-horse race coming to an end in Spain? Race-horse-r
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by hrealmadrid Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:24 pm

No, unfortunately it is not
hrealmadrid
hrealmadrid
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:36 pm

No chance. The only team in Spain that could break the Barca/Madrid dominance is Villarreal and they don't have the depth nor the funds to compete with those two.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Alsteinenburg Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:55 pm

The problem I see with La Liga is ultimately a funding issue.

We've seen how over the past few seasons both Real Madrid and Barcelona dominate La Liga both through the sheer amount of goals scored as well as total points accumulated.
However with this said, revenue has a massive impact on both teams aforementioned. The T.V. rights are independently managed and as such both Real Madrid and Barcelona have over 50% of La Liga's £500 Million T.V. rights.

Until T.V. Rights can be spread more equally between clubs there will always be a gap unless you have private investors.
Unfortunately what people seem to fail to grasp is UEFA's Financial Fair Play rule which looks as if may come into effect in 2013/14. This will ultimately hinder new clubs hoping for foreign investors as clubs will be unable to spend beyond their means.

Thus it just goes around and around.

Also bringing in talent to any club that isn't Barcelona or Real Madrid may be difficult. For many young players nowadays it isn't just about playing for trophies, its become completely dictated by money. Players now want huge salaries on top of sponsorship rights and so forth. Big money usually only comes with top clubs.
Alsteinenburg
Alsteinenburg
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by punkfusion1992 Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:01 pm

Malaga will definitely be challenging for honors in the next few years, i can see them being better than city just because their owner is extremely level headed
Valencia keep getting great players for cheap and selling their stars for amazing prices
Villareal is Villareal.....
so who knows, an equal tv deal may make the league extremely competitive
punkfusion1992
punkfusion1992
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:04 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:I hate to break it to you, but quality is'nt the problem in Spain currently , the problem is mentality, no one in spain outside Barca and Madrid have the winning mentality required to make it competitive.
This.

Compare Valencia or Villareal in the league to games in Europe. In Europe they grow some balls, attack and do all that fancy flashy stuff you know La Liga for. Most importantly, they don't give up and go to win, and go far. Just check out Europa League semifinalists.

In the League against Barca or Madrid? Oh, hi daddy! Let me take off my panties.

If Valencia or the new Malaga tried, they could beat them. If they try.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:13 pm

Alsteinenburg wrote:The problem I see with La Liga is ultimately a funding issue.

We've seen how over the past few seasons both Real Madrid and Barcelona dominate La Liga both through the sheer amount of goals scored as well as total points accumulated.
However with this said, revenue has a massive impact on both teams aforementioned. The T.V. rights are independently managed and as such both Real Madrid and Barcelona have over 50% of La Liga's £500 Million T.V. rights.

Until T.V. Rights can be spread more equally between clubs there will always be a gap unless you have private investors.
Unfortunately what people seem to fail to grasp is UEFA's Financial Fair Play rule which looks as if may come into effect in 2013/14. This will ultimately hinder new clubs hoping for foreign investors as clubs will be unable to spend beyond their means.

Thus it just goes around and around.

Also bringing in talent to any club that isn't Barcelona or Real Madrid may be difficult. For many young players nowadays it isn't just about playing for trophies, its become completely dictated by money. Players now want huge salaries on top of sponsorship rights and so forth. Big money usually only comes with top clubs.

What a way to introduce yourself Very Happy

I really agree with your last paragraph, even if a club like Villarreal or Valencia were to follow the Arsenal model and scout younger talents, they'll untimely be snapped up by a club in another league or just one of the top two anyway. The reason Arsenal can keep theirs is because they offer big wages which the majority of other La Liga teams can't do.

Everyone from Llorente to Mata to Banega have been linked to another club at some time.

Bear
Bear
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:23 pm

Sushi Master wrote:
Immaculate_Mole wrote:I hate to break it to you, but quality is'nt the problem in Spain currently , the problem is mentality, no one in spain outside Barca and Madrid have the winning mentality required to make it competitive.
This.

Compare Valencia or Villareal in the league to games in Europe. In Europe they grow some balls, attack and do all that fancy flashy stuff you know La Liga for. Most importantly, they don't give up and go to win, and go far. Just check out Europa League semifinalists.

In the League against Barca or Madrid? Oh, hi daddy! Let me take off my panties.

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait, hold up. Suspect

So we lost to Madrid and Barca becuase we let them (bend over to them)?

NO! We lost because they were simply better.

FGS, We had Barca losing on their turf to us. We play to win. no matter who's the opponent. And I'm sure everyone does. Problem is, Barca and Madrid are just head and shoulders above us all and we all know why too.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Lord Hispano wrote:
Sushi Master wrote:
This.

FGS, We had Barca losing on their turf to us. We play to win. no matter who's the opponent. And I'm sure everyone does. Problem is, Barca and Madrid are just head and shoulders above us all and we all know why too.
Well, I'll give credit to Valencia and the other "big" sides. They at least try. My point is that it doesn't just lie on you, but on every other team. The smaller teams show up fielding bench squads FFS. You never see any upsets like in Bundesliga, Serie A or the Premier, where smaller sides can and frequently do beat the giants. It's just, "oh, Messi scored 3 and Ronaldo 4, trololol".
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:33 pm

Lord Hispano wrote:
Sushi Master wrote:
This.

No, you and the rest of La Liga lack the mentality to beat them on top of that.

You lose to average teams that if you had a winning mentality you would'nt do and another thing beating Madrid or Barca at half time and beating them at full time is two TOTALLY different things.

Fact of the matter is whether you want to hear it or not, outside of Barca and Madrid teams in spain have loser mentality's.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:37 pm

It's like pre-Euro 2008 Spain. Spain always had a great squad but where considered master flops until they actually started forming a philosophy and a winning mentality. Barcelona adapted it, Madrid made it up in talent and is catching up, but the rest sort of stayed back in the stone age.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:41 pm

They were always la "Furia Roja", no? That philosiphy's also been pretty standard here in Latin America.

I think it was past due that Spain won the WC, honestly. The Dutch are currently the last past due team to not win the WC.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by izzy Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:44 pm

Sushi Master wrote:
Well, I'll give credit to Valencia and the other "big" sides. They at least try. My point is that it doesn't just lie on you, but on every other team. The smaller teams show up fielding bench squads FFS. You never see any upsets like in Bundesliga, Serie A or the Premier, where smaller sides can and frequently do beat the giants. It's just, "oh, Messi scored 3 and Ronaldo 4, trololol".

Name 5 matches where that happened? Suspect
izzy
izzy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum