Wilson37
urbaNRoots
Sri
Jay29
9 posters

Go down

Arsenal Season Review 2012/13 Empty Arsenal Season Review 2012/13

Post by Jay29 Wed 22 May - 17:25:36

Due to the sheer size of this write-up, I'm going to put the sections into spoiler tags. I'll be doing this in Player Review, too.

The way I've done this is to talk about our performances in the Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup and Capital One Cup, how we've done overall, how are tactics were this season and what we should do in the summer to improve and progress.

-----------------------------------

Premier League

Spoiler:

Champions League

Spoiler:

FA Cup

Spoiler:

Capital One Cup

Spoiler:

Conclusion

Spoiler:

Tactical Review

Spoiler:

The Summer

Spoiler:

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Arsenal Season Review 2012/13 Empty Re: Arsenal Season Review 2012/13

Post by Sri Wed 22 May - 19:47:10

Brilliant post Jay. Hard to disagree with any of your assessment there. Special mention to the objectivity to your analysis :bow:

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu 23 May - 2:04:12

Great post Jay Thumbs up

Such a frustrating and inconsistent season... I hope we can build on from this and start being more competitive than what we've been in the last 2 seasons. A start would be not changing anything defensively, approach games the same way we've done in the last 10 games and with better options upfront we should be more comfortable creating chances.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Thu 23 May - 14:19:55

excellent work Jay.. Arsenal Season Review 2012/13 3176931354
good idea to split them into parts.. just went through the PL one..
we got results in the last 2 months because of our defence.. we are defending well more as a team but this has affected our ability to go forward and create chances.. many a time we managed to hold on to win a game protecting a scrappy goal.. this is a very good quality needed to beat small teams but for defeating bigger teams we certainly need our attack..
and now i believe more in the "attack wins u fans, but defence wins u titles" thing.. but i badly miss the dominating chance creating Arsenal game.. we certainly lack creativity and need a quality CAM.. Rosicky is doing the job, but his chance creation rate is not high and his injury problems and age are a concern.. Cazorla has not worked out well, cant understand what he lacks, but something is missing, he cant penetrate good defences.. Wilshere is the only potential option, but he needs to make a significant step up to do this.. so if we get a quality CAM like Cesc we can still manage to create enogh chances playing this defending as a team strategy with double pivot of Ramsey and Arteta..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu 23 May - 14:53:31

Amazing work Jay.

It never easy being Arsenal fan all the sadness and joy this team brings us. Proud Razz
I just hope we our problems behinds us, we have a great team and with 2-3 quality players added to this squad we will be a force in EPL and Europe again.

The best time for us to attack the EPL and become champions again is next year, so many new managers and pressure for the other teams.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Thu 23 May - 15:18:58

Nice job Jay! A clear and even-handed grasp on the season's overall level of achievement and what is needed in the summer. Hard to disagree with much, or add to it. Thumbs up
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Fri 24 May - 9:35:35

"We had the usual “Wenger is a genius” period, followed by the usual “Wenger should leave” period, followed by the usual “actually, Wenger really is a genius” period."
Razz Thumbs up
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon 27 May - 23:27:55

Finally got across to read all of it. Was a wonderful review Jay. Excellent effort.

For me, the season was not any different to last year in general sense. It's pretty sad that at no point we were at the top of the table, or even 2nd. It was merely a repeat of last year where we had to battle our way through and get to the top 4. However this time the competition was harder. And without a doubt it will get even more difficult next year.

We ended up with no trophies. FA Cup and COC was a disaster. CL was really poor too. The home defeat against Schalke was one of the low point in the CL. Probably our worst performance in the CL in a long time. People will remember the Bayern win at the Allianz, but i will remember this year's CL campaign for our defeat to Schalke and that we only managed a shot on target all match.

The positives for me was our last 3 months form. The improvement of several players and that our financial situation has improved significantly well. Good enough to challenge for the trophies if not win it.

Speaking in terms of tactics. I would say that the first 6 months was basically wasted. We tried and tested a lot of formations, pressing system, attacking variation and defensive structure over and over again to no success and when we did find the right system, it was too late for anything. The reason why i think we failed at the start was because of many reasons. First, our team which was built around van persie had to be broken up. The new players found it difficult to adjust and Arsene himfself found it difficult to find the right system to function.

he tried the 4-2-3-1 at the start. It was good defensively, but very poor in terms of going forward. We kept 3 clean sheets in a row, however at no point Arsene seemed satisfied. because our attacking prowess was suffering. We looked dysfunctional. He changed it to 4-3-3 and we suffered defensively despite keeping most of the ball. Our attack didn't improve much either. Giroud found it difficult to work with Podolski and Gervinho upfront. Arsene then tried Gervinho in the middle and it clicked a bit since Gervinho was better bringing the other wide forwards into the attack. But Gervinho is a form player and very inconsistent. It didn't work.

This continued till the Tottenham away game. We did lose that match, but Arsene finally saw the light as cliche as that sounds. I am quite sure that had Koscielny-Mertesacker played and Gibbs at LB, we would have won that match. The system was perfect, but individual errors prevailed.

Arsene benched the captain and benched Szczesny as well who was under immense pressure. Things took a turn for the better. We started using a 4-1-3-2 formation and each player had their individual role which suited them and they all relished in that role. Ramsey was the key in our defensive stability in terms of giving Arteta a bit more freedom at the DM. Cazorla played a role which he was well familiar with and this time he had Rosicky with him to share the creative burden.

We went unbeaten in the last 2-3 months and did the job. It did come at a price where we played really poor at times. but 3 points made up for that.

Overall, a 5/10 season.

In terms of next season. I think our system is right and we just need quality additions to this team. Let's see how this summer goes

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Wed 29 May - 17:46:52

RealGunner wrote:Finally got across to read all of it. Was a wonderful review Jay. Excellent effort.

For me, the season was not any different to last year in general sense. It's pretty sad that at no point we were at the top of the table, or even 2nd. It was merely a repeat of last year where we had to battle our way through and get to the top 4. However this time the competition was harder. And without a doubt it will get even more difficult next year.

We ended up with no trophies. FA Cup and COC was a disaster. CL was really poor too. The home defeat against Schalke was one of the low point in the CL. Probably our worst performance in the CL in a long time. People will remember the Bayern win at the Allianz, but i will remember this year's CL campaign for our defeat to Schalke and that we only managed a shot on target all match.

The positives for me was our last 3 months form. The improvement of several players and that our financial situation has improved significantly well. Good enough to challenge for the trophies if not win it.

Speaking in terms of tactics. I would say that the first 6 months was basically wasted. We tried and tested a lot of formations, pressing system, attacking variation and defensive structure over and over again to no success and when we did find the right system, it was too late for anything. The reason why i think we failed at the start was because of many reasons. First, our team which was built around van persie had to be broken up. The new players found it difficult to adjust and Arsene himfself found it difficult to find the right system to function.

he tried the 4-2-3-1 at the start. It was good defensively, but very poor in terms of going forward. We kept 3 clean sheets in a row, however at no point Arsene seemed satisfied. because our attacking prowess was suffering. We looked dysfunctional. He changed it to 4-3-3 and we suffered defensively despite keeping most of the ball. Our attack didn't improve much either. Giroud found it difficult to work with Podolski and Gervinho upfront. Arsene then tried Gervinho in the middle and it clicked a bit since Gervinho was better bringing the other wide forwards into the attack. But Gervinho is a form player and very inconsistent. It didn't work.

This continued till the Tottenham away game. We did lose that match, but Arsene finally saw the light as cliche as that sounds. I am quite sure that had Koscielny-Mertesacker played and Gibbs at LB, we would have won that match. The system was perfect, but individual errors prevailed.

Arsene benched the captain and benched Szczesny as well who was under immense pressure. Things took a turn for the better. We started using a 4-1-3-2 formation and each player had their individual role which suited them and they all relished in that role. Ramsey was the key in our defensive stability in terms of giving Arteta a bit more freedom at the DM. Cazorla played a role which he was well familiar with and this time he had Rosicky with him to share the creative burden.

We went unbeaten in the last 2-3 months and did the job. It did come at a price where we played really poor at times. but 3 points made up for that.

Overall, a 5/10 season.

In terms of next season. I think our system is right and we just need quality additions to this team. Let's see how this summer goes

Thumbs up
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon 3 Jun - 2:46:59

Arsenal Season Review 2012/13 BLy8lYKCAAEH_U6
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rev Mon 3 Jun - 16:06:38

Most of our goals which were down to individual errors came in the first half of the season so it's even more frustrating to watch that graph/statistic. Laughing

Finally found the time to read the whole thing. Awesome work Jay, you and all the others pretty much summed up my thoughts.

There's some reserved optimism about the club. Mainly because of our strong finish and I hope we build on that momentum and start strong next season. cheers
Rev
Rev
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum