rwo power
LeBéninois
zizzle
Arsenalfaithfull
DeletedUser#1
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Football Nostalgia- Watched all 1998 WC Goals Empty Football Nostalgia- Watched all 1998 WC Goals

Post by DeletedUser#1 Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:27 pm

Last night we were having a get together with some friends with some drinks and other stuff, and we decided to put on WC 1998 all goals video (HD) quality on the TV. It was amazing how the game, fashion, and everything has changed. Somethings that stood out:

- Jerseys weren't anywhere near as tight.
- A lot of players, fans, managers used to have moustache only.

SOME OF THE PLAYERS OF THAT ERA <3

- Rivaldo Bebeto Ronaldo up front for Brazil. CESAR SAMPAIO and Tafarel !!
- Italian team so handsome. Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, TOLDO in net after Peruzzi's late injury
- Salas Zamorano duo up front for Chile. SO CLUTCH
- Laudrup brothers both playing for Denmark. Same with Schmeichel
- France ! Lauren Blanc kissing Barthez' head before every game. Thierry Henry SO YOUNG.
- Zubizaretta being awful for Spain, Nigerian players' post-goal celebrations Laughing
- Cocu brothers for Holland. Bergkamp-Kleivurt up front.
- Bierhoff and Klinsmann leading the line for Germany. team managed by BERTI VOGTES !!
- Jorge Campus in net for Mexico with his ridiculous jerseys.....HERNANDEZ (the one that looked like Forlan) was king of Mexico back then.
- Romania team all bleached their hair blonde. Beckham first world cup freekick goal vs. Colombia
- Ortega and Batistuta for Argentina. Sukur and Buban inspiring Croatia

Man.....can't believe it was 15 years ago. When it showed Zanetti's goal vs England, I'm like I think he is the only one still playing at top level here (MLS not exactly top level Razz )

great days....football was beautiful then.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Football Nostalgia- Watched all 1998 WC Goals Empty Re: Football Nostalgia- Watched all 1998 WC Goals

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:52 pm

Honestly wc 98 was what got me into Football. THAT goal by Michael Owen Neutral
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Football Nostalgia- Watched all 1998 WC Goals Empty Re: Football Nostalgia- Watched all 1998 WC Goals

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:53 pm

The rest of the world cup/ Euros have not lived upto 98/2000 imo
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:56 pm

Arsenalfaithfull wrote:Honestly wc 98 was what got me into Football. THAT goal by Michael Owen Neutral

it's amazing to know Owen was 18 at the time. that goal was sensational.

Brazil-Denmark game was the game of the tournament though IMO.

Austria scoring all their 3 goals in WC, in extra time of 90th minute in all 3 games . what are the odds :bow:

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:08 pm

98 was the first WC i watched and the first time i really fell in love with the game, brings alot of great memories ! cant believe its 15 years already !

And speaking of great vintage tournaments EURO 2000 is probably the most entertaining thing ive watched. Or maybe it's nostalgia Proud
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:12 pm

zizzle wrote:98 was the first WC i watched and the first time i really fell in love with the game, brings alot of great memories ! cant believe its 15 years already !

And speaking of great vintage tournaments EURO 2000 is probably the most entertaining thing ive watched. Or maybe it's nostalgia Proud

TO me Euro 2000 was honestly the Zidane show... that performance against Portugal :bow:
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:18 pm

Zidane, Figo and Toldo :bow:
and that Yugoslavia team !
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:33 pm

Ronaldo - Rivaldo :wub:
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:43 pm

Natalie Portman wrote:- Jorge Campus in net for Mexico with his ridiculous jerseys.....HERNANDEZ (the one that looked like Forlan) was king of Mexico back then.
Don't you dare hate on Jorge Campos! He sure was unique! Very Happy
(Today's GK kits are so boring in comparison...)
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:48 pm

Yeah, football was great back then... Embarassed
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:07 pm

Really for me nothing has ever lived up to these two tournaments.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by ARIARAIDEN Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:09 pm

The best thing about WC 98 was undoubtedly Iran winning against USA.
ARIARAIDEN
ARIARAIDEN
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:15 pm

rwo power wrote:
Natalie Portman wrote:- Jorge Campus in net for Mexico with his ridiculous jerseys.....HERNANDEZ (the one that looked like Forlan) was king of Mexico back then.
Don't you dare hate on Jorge Campos! He sure was unique! Very Happy
(Today's GK kits are so boring in comparison...)

Campos was a bosss man. He has an awesome personality too.
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:29 pm

Like most of you guys the '98 was my first WC and the event that made me fall in love with football. So many GOAT memories. I was 7 years old and everything about that tournament seemed like magic to me.

Owen Proud Batistuta Proud Ronaldo Proud Zidane Proud Raul&Morientes Proud Henry Proud The Yogoslavia team with Mijatovic, Mihajlovic, Stojkovic Proud
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:34 pm

First WC i watched from start to end.... i always remembered BBC's studio in Paris Laughing

Looked like they was in a museum lol.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:46 pm

Honestly, this was ridiculous... Euro semis too. :coffee:
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:15 am

Football is still great and beautiful now though, not sure why fans get so teary eyed. With that being said, WC 98 was unique as one of our own Caribbean neighbours, Jamaica qualified. Gave Croatia some sort of fight (lost 3-1), got beaten by a Batistuta hattrick led Argentina (5-0) and beat Japan 2-1 I think, can't fully recall the final score.

The Brasil side was solid as usual, so were France. But the team I really wanted to win it at the time: Croatia. Suker, Boban, Soldo, Prosineski, Stanic, Jarni, Simic, Billic. Watching them beat Germany with ease 3-0 was a joy I remember fondly.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:38 am

Obviously nostalgia has alot to do with it but i cant say football is as magical as it used to be, something is different about the game now, it feels more plastic and has less soul. Maybe it's money, maybe i just miss my childhood heroes, but that's how it feels Proud
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:32 am

Doc wrote:Football is still great and beautiful now though, not sure why fans get so teary eyed. With that being said, WC 98 was unique as one of our own Caribbean neighbours, Jamaica qualified. Gave Croatia some sort of fight (lost 3-1), got beaten by a Batistuta hattrick led Argentina (5-0) and beat Japan 2-1 I think, can't fully recall the final score.

The Brasil side was solid as usual, so were France. But the team I really wanted to win it at the time: Croatia. Suker, Boban, Soldo, Prosineski, Stanic, Jarni, Simic, Billic. Watching them beat Germany with ease 3-0 was a joy I remember fondly.

None of the World Cups at least lived up to 98. 2010 was trash, save for the dramatic Uruguay/Ghana, 2006 was saved by Italy/Germany and 2002 was entertaining mainly due to the shocking results, the underdogs winning but some of that had to do with the most biased officiating I have ever seen in my life. I really enjoyed Euro 12 this time. Hope 2014 is good, I have a feeling it will be a cracker.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:03 am

Ronaldo was incredible in 98. I don't know why people think that 2002 was his peak, when 4 years before that we had been way better.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:42 pm

Valkyrja wrote:Ronaldo was incredible in 98. I don't know why people think that 2002 was his peak, when 4 years before that we had been way better.

good post . Has he scored in the final and won it , things might have been different .

That year , the ballon d'or votes were :

1 - Zidane 244 points

2- Suker 68 points

3- Ronaldo 66 points

No way zidane gets 244 points without the 2 goals and the cup that year .

LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:44 pm

Ballon d'Or is stupid tbh... Zidane was clearly the best player in 1999-2000 and it wasn't even close. But he got a red card in CL and people decided that they were moral referees and didn't give the award.

These awards are becoming more and more political and less about football really.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:17 pm

Valkyrja wrote:Ronaldo was incredible in 98. I don't know why people think that 2002 was his peak, when 4 years before that we had been way better.

I'd like to know who these people are, because they can't have watched him 98 and before because he was unstoppable before those injuries.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:01 pm

France were such underdogs and yet performed so brilliantly, I remember it clearly, their striker was shite, and replied on the whole team to attack and defend at the same time to make up. All 4 defenders was rocks and fullbacks great going forward, Thuram 2 goals in the Semi, etc. The final was such a surprise and drama. Great WC for Zidane, nightmare one for Ronaldo... Netherlands back then was also awesome.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:46 pm

BarcaLearning wrote:France were such underdogs and yet performed so brilliantly, I remember it clearly, their striker was shite, and replied on the whole team to attack and defend at the same time to make up. All 4 defenders was rocks and fullbacks great going forward, Thuram 2 goals in the Semi, etc. The final was such a surprise and drama. Great WC for Zidane, nightmare one for Ronaldo... Netherlands back then was also awesome.

Zidane wasn't great until the final, but his presence was felt by the others, even though he wasn't at his best. Ronaldo was better throughout the tournament.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum