ELO
VivaStPauli
Luca
TheRedStag
viepr149
Balzo1
14 posters

Go down

Buying football cleats for the very first time Empty Buying football cleats for the very first time

Post by Balzo1 Fri 09 Aug 2013, 15:48

Hi, I'm going to start playing football in a club very soon, and I'd like to buy some cleats in the near future. However I'm a bit confused, because I don't know whether I will be playing on fake turf or real grass. (I think a mix... I know they have a fake turf field). I also don't know which position I will be playing (tho not CB or GK).

So two questions:

1. Since I am just an amateur, does it really matter which cleats I buy for my position? (In that case I'll have to wait till I start and the coach tells me where I should play?)

2. I'm very confused on this fake turf - real turf thing. Do I need two seperate cleats for each type of grass? Also I've heard of football cleats that are playable on fake and real turf. Would these be good to get, or are they rubbish?

Any other advice you have for me?
Thanks!!

Balzo1
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Buying football cleats for the very first time Empty Re: Buying football cleats for the very first time

Post by viepr149 Fri 09 Aug 2013, 18:10

Buy normal soccer cleats. They work on turf and give you way more traction than "turf" shoes.

Don't spend too much on them because its your first pair. Around $100, you want a shoe that fits nice and snug. But if you go too cheap (Like I bought a pair at Wal-Mart for $20 because I sent in my F50's to Adidas cause they broke. The Wal-Mart shoes were bad, didn't give good base of support and did not fit good at all.)

Stay with either Nike or Adidas because they have generous return policies if anything happens to the shoes. Generally when you play on turf the shoe takes more of a beating because it's a harder playing surface. (If anything does happen Google their customer service return number and you send the shoes into them. They will send you a new pair)

I'm currently using Adidas NitroCharge. Amazing shoe.

Goodluck!

viepr149
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Buying football cleats for the very first time Empty Re: Buying football cleats for the very first time

Post by Balzo1 Fri 09 Aug 2013, 23:19

Hey, thanks a lot. But doesn't normal shoes tear down very easily on turf?

And does it matter what position I play or should I just pick some boots?

Balzo1
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Fri 09 Aug 2013, 23:39

Copa Mundial

/thread
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Sat 10 Aug 2013, 00:45

Look for shoes with 'FG'- Firm ground cleats. You'll be able to wear them on artificial turf and grass. Do not purchase 'SG' because they are metal studs and are usually not allowed on turf as well as them not being ideal for the surface.

As for style I would suggest Adipures or Nike Tiempos for comfort/style/price. As for position, I would leave it to the coach at first and once you'll play you'll find what you're good at and where you're best suited.

Just work on fitness and general technique until then. It will help greatly in finding a position.

Good luck

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Balzo1 Sat 10 Aug 2013, 10:57

Alright, thanks a lot Luca. I just wanna be completely sure here, because I see varying opinions on the topic: I can use FG boots on artificial turf without tearing them down? Even if I only will be playing on artificial turf? (which I don't know yet)

Thanks!

Balzo1
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Aug 2013, 13:18

I only played on Artificial turf because that is all we have in my city and I am not a fan of wearing cleats on them. For starters, the cleats will damage the turf and while I don't have experience with this, I've heard you can get caught up in the turf when wearing the wrong boot.

I found these to work great on the turf I was playing on...
Buying football cleats for the very first time St-ni410

I would also suggest that you try the Tiempos (Nike) or the Predator (Adidas) - my foot did not work well with Adidas shoes, so I decided to stick with the Tiempos.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Sat 10 Aug 2013, 18:02

Balzo1 wrote:Alright, thanks a lot Luca. I just wanna be completely sure here, because I see varying opinions on the topic: I can use FG boots on artificial turf without tearing them down? Even if I only will be playing on artificial turf? (which I don't know yet)

Thanks!
Well, let's put it this way. Turf shoes are cheaper but if you play on grass you won't have a good time.
They won't get worn down in a season of soccer regardless of surface. FG if you're going to be on both surfaces.

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sat 10 Aug 2013, 20:09

Buying football cleats for the very first time Fuballschuhe-adidas-kaiser-5-liga

Wearing these bad boys. Adidas Kaiser 5. Love 'em. Get 'em.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by ELO Sat 10 Aug 2013, 22:39

TheRedStag wrote:Copa Mundial

/thread
Yes Sir...
ELO
ELO
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Balzo1 Sat 10 Aug 2013, 22:44

Ok, thanks everyone !Smile

Balzo1
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by ioilersrock448 Sat 10 Aug 2013, 22:48

Buying football cleats for the very first time Cheap-adidas-F50-micoach-adizero-TRX-FG-cleats11

I've had them for 2 years and play on turf and grass and they are fantastic. I play everything except for CB and haven't had any problem. I strongly suggest buying a pair.
ioilersrock448
ioilersrock448
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : FC Bayern

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Sat 10 Aug 2013, 22:57

Just get a pair of Copa Mundials. I have two lol
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon 12 Aug 2013, 22:46

Copa Mundials are great as well, I wrecked mine last year, I got the Kaiser 5s on a whim and TBH I can't discern a difference in performance. Took me like 10 minutes to adjust to the Kaisers and I love them just as much. Prefer the Kaisers because of the name.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by ELO Mon 12 Aug 2013, 23:03

The Kaiser 5 is basically a slightly cheaper version (lack of kangaroo leather)... So yeah.
ELO
ELO
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyDaBeast Tue 13 Aug 2013, 19:31

cant go wrong with the Andrea Pirlo style Nike Tiempos, been wearing them for football since 15, im 24 now and there still the best
TonyDaBeast
TonyDaBeast
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Tue 13 Aug 2013, 19:59

Nike released a pair of boots this year similar to the Copa Mundials and meant to compete with them called the Nike Premiers, Nike's fit my wide foot better, always have worn Nike.

I do want to try a pair of the new Adidas Predators tho, have to get to a store and see how they fit

Buying football cleats for the very first time 62365
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Wed 14 Aug 2013, 01:06

I'm not saying to actually do this, but I have a friend who got away with it recently:

Find the nicest shoes in the store, place them into a box of a cheaper boot, and see if you can get away with just paying the cheap shoes price. If they open the box and notice, say you just grabbed the first box that was your size after trying on the ones on display. It's a dishonest thing to do, but considering my friend runs around in the top-notch edition of the Nike Mercurial Vapor IX's when I'm using the $200 cheaper version of the same boot and paid MORE for it than he did for his, it's hard not to consider it Laughing
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Wed 14 Aug 2013, 01:10

Sure, unless you have morals rather than just a fear of getting caught.

Seriously though, I have a friend like that. I had a pair of mercurials from him that he stole in a similar way, bartered them to me for my total 90s back in the day. Proud

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Wed 14 Aug 2013, 01:15

Lmfao dat tactic ffs.

Reminds me of when some old guy got caught trying to get free chewing gum

He wedged a few packets into the plastic wrapping you find around cans of Coke. Proud
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Wed 14 Aug 2013, 01:48

pls Proud

i used to work at Sportchek (sporting goods store in canada)

co workers would go to the back shoe room which has NO CAMERAS ffs Laughing stuff shoes in there waist band of pants and walk out the store at end of there shift with them Proud

the room where all the shoes are stored, had no camera Laughing what genius designed that place I wanna know
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed 14 Aug 2013, 08:04

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nUYFEzTUCoA/TWlwZDA9CfI/AAAAAAAAAI4/nuzr3p1TSB4/s400/Lotto-Logotipo.jpg
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Wed 14 Aug 2013, 09:24

It's very important to buy specific artificial grass cleats if you are playing more than 5 games a season in artificial grass.

Playing with regular cleats on artificial grass tires you a lot more and it's easier to get ankle injuries.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Thu 15 Aug 2013, 01:54

free_cat wrote:It's very important to buy specific artificial grass cleats if you are playing more than 5 games a season in artificial grass.

Playing with regular cleats on artificial grass tires you a lot more and it's easier to get ankle injuries.
Definitely agree on that point. I rolled my ankle several times last year in an indoor league wearing normal cleats. I have always had a weak ankle, but it was ridiculous. I actually chose to wear normal indoor shoes for the second half of the season and didn't have any problem at all once I changed my footwear.
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum