Post by Robespierre Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:39 pm

So brutal /realistic Harty and Rust here Laughing

Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

True Detective || HBO - Page 10 Empty Re: True Detective || HBO

Post by M99 Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:35 am

There will be no mindblowing twists or anything. The show creators said they are not interested in twists or anything, the show is more about the characters of Rust and Marty than it is about the case. They said from the start there will be no creepy rituals, gruesome murders or game changing twists shown on the show.

The episode was not bad, it was good but it was certainly the worst episode of the series. Disappointing for the penultimate episode. I don't crave for twists and neither do I think the show should use them, I am fine with where the story is going. But the episode was still underwhelming. Why? The execution was bad. Execution is one of the most important things for an ongoing series to get right. Look at Breaking Bad, were there any insane twists or unpredictable stuff? No, you could see where the show was going and had a broad idea on how character arcs and the show itself will be ending but the way they pulled it off on screen is what the final season so amazing. True Detective fell short here. I love this show but prematurely calling it GOAT or top 3 of all time was wrong.

The big reveal which was supposed to get us pumped for the season finale was the reveal of the lawnmower man as the man with the scars. I did not need to read discussions on the internet to figure it out. Why would they zoom in on a filler extra and show his scars for a full 5 seconds unless he had a bigger role? I guess he is the Yellow King, the spaghetti monster, the guy who wears that creepy mask.

The episode was still pretty good. Woody Harrelson who has been overshadowed by McConaughey was the man here. He was brilliant and played his role perfectly for the full season but this was his shining episode. The scenes between him and Rust were strong and the one where he saw the tape was the best scene IMO. Overall the acting in this show is really good, Maggie, the black woman and the brief scene of Mr Lawnmower were some great stuff too. Think the show suffered a bit from it just being stuck on 2012, episode were more interesting when they were jumping timelines.

Here's hoping for a satisfying finale. I see Rust dying and Marty surviving and growing to really respect Rust and make sure Rust gets a posthumous honour and later reflect on how Rust would not have cared for the glory and fame. Marty will then try to reconnect with his daughters.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:03 pm

Ending:
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:30 pm

M99 wrote:The episode was not bad, it was good but it was certainly the worst episode of the series. Disappointing for the penultimate episode. I don't crave for twists and neither do I think the show should use them, I am fine with where the story is going. But the episode was still underwhelming. Why? The execution was bad. Execution is one of the most important things for an ongoing series to get right. Look at Breaking Bad, were there any insane twists or unpredictable stuff? No, you could see where the show was going and had a broad idea on how character arcs and the show itself will be ending but the way they pulled it off on screen is what the final season so amazing. True Detective fell short here. I love this show but prematurely calling it GOAT or top 3 of all time was wrong.
Exactly. Breaking Bad had so less characters to work with yet it did not feature a single filler episode and the story moved with the same pace every episode. There was never a dull moment. That's what makes it so special.

As I said a week back, this show is probably a tier below Breaking Bad.. and this episode proved why. Shows like Breaking Bad are rare.. I've come to terms with that fact. It took me 3-4 episodes to get actively interested in True Detective whereas when it came to Breaking Bad, the pilot itself was so satisfying that it piqued my interest.
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:41 pm

Each to their own mate. In the end people have different tastes and they like what they like. I know many people who couldn't get into Breaking Bad, or Game of thrones or The Wire and would rate other shows like House of Cards or True Detective or Prison Break as the best ever.

I got into TD after 5 minutes of it. Because it's my kind of show. But others won't. And that's how it works.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:12 am

@Nish

Is it the spoiler Firenze was talking about?
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:14 am

DO NOT open that McAgger. It ruined it for me Sad
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:15 am

RealGunner wrote:Each to their own mate. In the end people have different tastes and they like what they like. I know many people who couldn't get into Breaking Bad, or Game of thrones or The Wire and would rate other shows like House of Cards or True Detective or Prison Break as the best ever.

I got into TD after 5 minutes of it. Because it's my kind of show. But others won't. And that's how it works.

Are you going to watch Breaking Bad in the summer?
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:47 am

This still is from when Hart meets Errol (the lawnmower man) on episode 3.

https://i.imgur.com/IGNFN9n.png

Notice 'King'- The Yellow King.

Five Horsemen= Errol, Reggie Ledoux, Dewall Ledoux (Reggie's partner who got killed with him), Billy Lee Tuttle, Eddie Tuttle
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:57 pm

ExtremistEnigma wrote:
M99 wrote:The episode was not bad, it was good but it was certainly the worst episode of the series. Disappointing for the penultimate episode. I don't crave for twists and neither do I think the show should use them, I am fine with where the story is going. But the episode was still underwhelming. Why? The execution was bad. Execution is one of the most important things for an ongoing series to get right. Look at Breaking Bad, were there any insane twists or unpredictable stuff? No, you could see where the show was going and had a broad idea on how character arcs and the show itself will be ending but the way they pulled it off on screen is what the final season so amazing. True Detective fell short here. I love this show but prematurely calling it GOAT or top 3 of all time was wrong.
Exactly. Breaking Bad had so less characters to work with yet it did not feature a single filler episode and the story moved with the same pace every episode. There was never a dull moment. That's what makes it so special.

As I said a week back, this show is probably a tier below Breaking Bad.. and this episode proved why. Shows like Breaking Bad are rare.. I've come to terms with that fact. It took me 3-4 episodes to get actively interested in True Detective whereas when it came to Breaking Bad, the pilot itself was so satisfying that it piqued my interest.
Remember the episode "Fly" from BB?
Yeah.

Some people on here overrate BB. They go on as if BB is the pinnacle of tv shows.
I also liked BB, it is a great show. But it was nothing like out of this world, or absolutely phenomenal.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:51 pm

Breaking bad was boring until season 4 imo hmm
Stop mentioning that show in this thread please, it's different shows, and different tastes. I for one, prefer this one infinitely more than BB.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:53 pm

El Gunner wrote:
ExtremistEnigma wrote:

Remember the episode "Fly" from BB?
Yeah.

Some people on here overrate BB. They go on as if BB is the pinnacle of tv shows.
I also liked BB, it is a great show. But it was nothing like out of this world, or absolutely phenomenal.

One filler from 56 episodes hmm And the episode was really significant and a huge foreshadowing for 'Ozymandias' 2 seasons later.

:notbad:
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Mamad Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:13 pm

Breaking Bad was great for what it was but TD is better imo. TD is probably the best TV show I've ever seen ( waiting for the finale.... ). i love it's theme.
Mamad
Mamad
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:04 am

yes for me also TD is the best TV show I've ever seen amplified by partnership Woody Harrelson ( underrated actor) - Matthew McConaughey , simply God in this series.
The quotes of Rust Cohle deserve to be remembered all :bow:
http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0390328/quotes
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:07 am

Robes, I must insist you watch Game Of Thrones. You will love that as well hmm

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:41 am

McAgger wrote:@Nish

Is it the spoiler Firenze was talking about?

yh
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:29 am

Btw does HBO shows always have amazing opening theme songs?
GoT's is already legendary, and I just love TD's.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:03 am

Love TD's opening music.

''Mountain cats will come ,to drag away your bones''

''and rise with me for ever.....''

great song.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:06 am

TD is clearly GOAT level when it comes to acting and cinematography yet i dont think it is extra ordinary on script level nor it is long enough to call it a series really. It is like a 2 part Movie shot as a series.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:37 am

From the dusty mesa

Her looming shadow grows

Hidden in the branches

On the poison creosote

My most favourite opening of any show ever.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:05 pm

so the great day is arrived . a long wait but also a bit sad to think it .

Now I need to get away from this topic for a few days just long enough to get the usual streaming with Italian subtitles so as to avoid spoilers

p.s. I agree, the TD's opening music is great

RealGunner wrote:Robes, I must insist you watch Game Of Thrones. You will love that as well hmm

it's already 4th series and so I should begin even from 1st  hmm
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:39 pm

Only 10 episodes per season. So you can catch up fast. Season 4 starts in 1 month.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:39 pm

Yea I won't get time to watch it till Tuesday or Wednesday either. Will not see this thread or much of internet cause of spoilers
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:46 pm

Agree, TD's opening theme song and intro is probably the best I've seen so far. Perfectly fits with the theme of the show.

Adit wrote:TD is clearly GOAT level when it comes to acting and cinematography yet i dont think it is extra ordinary on script level nor it is long enough to call it a series really. It is like a 2 part Movie shot as a series.
True.. acting and cinematography is definitely top notch. Story-wise it falters a bit for me. This season is atleast above average in terms of script.. let's see whether the further seasons are able to maintain this level.
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:54 pm

Can't wait ffs
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:02 am

Decent finale. Cinematography and acting once again takes the cake. McConaughey. :bow:

So many questions left unanswered though...

What about Marty's daughter probable sexual abuse or atleast the imagery as a child that led to her being a slut eventually?
What about Tuttles?
No mention of Yellow King, spirals or the satanist cult throughout the episode.
No *bleep* given to Gilbough and Papania.

Sloppy writing imo.
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 31 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20 ... 31  Next