mr-r34
BarrileteCosmico
Peccadillo
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Group of Death - Page 2 Empty Re: The Group of Death

Post by donttreadonred Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:49 pm

Imo, Chile are better than Uruguay. We even finished ahead of them in the qual and head to head, we won in Chile while they won in Uruguay. So I honestly don't see why some people thinks that Uruguay are better than Chile. Is it because they won the last Copa America?
It's all to do with the Copa America, the last World Cup, and the individual quality of player on Uruguay's squad.

The feeling is that even though Uruguay botched up the COMEBOL qualifying campaign, they are still capable of pulling it together to present a much stronger effort at a major tournament. To be honest, I actually believe their recent history backs up this feeling. Ever since 2010, they have made a habit of stepping up for major tournaments. They're certainly not a squad that will go out and steamroll all challengers. However, they are capable of punching above their weight, and who knows what will happen if they can manage to get into the knockout stage.

With Italy and England in the group, Uruguay will have a tough task ahead of them. Then again, I think they can beat either of them on any given day, especially considering that the tournament is in South America. My expectation is that Uruguay progresses at the expense of one of Italy or England. They may very well come second, but I think they will progress.

donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:59 pm

donttreadonred wrote:
Imo, Chile are better than Uruguay. We even finished ahead of them in the qual and head to head, we won in Chile while they won in Uruguay. So I honestly don't see why some people thinks that Uruguay are better than Chile. Is it because they won the last Copa America?
It's all to do with the Copa America, the last World Cup, and the individual quality of player on Uruguay's squad.

The feeling is that even though Uruguay botched up the COMEBOL qualifying campaign, they are still capable of pulling it together to present a much stronger effort at a major tournament. To be honest, I actually believe their recent history backs up this feeling. Ever since 2010, they have made a habit of stepping up for major tournaments. They're certainly not a squad that will go out and steamroll all challengers. However, they are capable of punching above their weight, and who knows what will happen if they can manage to get into the knockout stage.

With Italy and England in the group, Uruguay will have a tough task ahead of them. Then again, I think they can beat either of them on any given day, especially considering that the tournament is in South America. My expectation is that Uruguay progresses at the expense of one of Italy or England. They may very well come second, but I think they will progress.
I don't agree because in that case Uruguay are better than Brazil and Argentina aswell, which they are not. And it's not really fair to say that Uruguay are better than Chile just because they got further in the WC and Copa America. I mean, at the WC they got pretty lucky with the team that they faced. IMO, the real first great team that they faced at the WC, was in the Semi-finals against Netherland. While at the at Copa America when we faced them in the grp stage, I thought that we played better than them, even though the game ended as a draw. And then against Argentina, they were completely outplayed and won by a penalty shoot-out.

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:43 pm

harhar11 wrote:I don't agree because in that case Uruguay are better than Brazil and Argentina aswell, which they are not. And it's not really fair to say that Uruguay are better than Chile just because they got further in the WC and Copa America. I mean, at the WC they got pretty lucky with the team that they faced. IMO, the real first great team that they faced at the WC, was in the Semi-finals against Netherland. While at the at Copa America when we faced them in the grp stage, I thought that we played better than them, even though the game ended as a draw. And then against Argentina, they were completely outplayed and won by a penalty shoot-out.
You can agree or disagree as you like. I'm merely stating the reasons behind the perception.

However, if I may point out something... In the cases you mentioned. Uruguay got a result, even without playing well, or at least better than the opposition. Is that not the hallmark of teams that succeed in tournaments?
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by BORUSSIA!! Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:49 pm

Peccadillo wrote:I don't think so..
Contrast;
Spain > Italy
Netherlands > England (or Uruguay if you want to go by ranks)
Uruguay > Chile
Costa Rica > Australia

Group B is a stronger group. I think a lot of people will be feeling like Italy and Uruguay will get through our group. Not to disrespect Uruguay as they are a strong side.. any group where Uruguay is the favourite to get through cannot be the true group of death.
Pfft yeah right.

Group B is group of death.

BORUSSIA!!
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:02 am

I don't think Australia winning 1-0 at home in Sydney via a deflected set piece grants them any authority over Costa Rica.. Australia have a mountain to climb in the world cup. I think everyone wants to see them cause some upsets though... Also Costa Rica have that acclimation advantage.

As for the Uruguay Chile discussion, I happen to agree with dontreadonred.. I also think the majority of bookies and fans would also share that view.. It is just a perception though and no one would begrudge Chile a successful tournament.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:58 pm

donttreadonred wrote:You can agree or disagree as you like. I'm merely stating the reasons behind the perception.

However, if I may point out something... In the cases you mentioned. Uruguay got a result, even without playing well, or at least better than the opposition. Is that not the hallmark of teams that succeed in tournaments?
No, I understand. I was just saying what I thought about that. And regarding your 2nd post, if that's true then, seeing as Uruguay got further than Brazil and Argentina in the WC and Copa America, then Uruguay > Argentina and Brazil as well, no?

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:55 pm

harhar11 wrote:No, I understand. I was just saying what I thought about that. And regarding your 2nd post, if that's true then, seeing as Uruguay got further than Brazil and Argentina in the WC and Copa America, then Uruguay > Argentina and Brazil as well, no?
I would argue not, as Argentina and Brazil are widely considered to be contenders for any major tournament as well as producing hugely talented, high-profile players. Uruguay have only recently rejoined that group of potential contenders. It's not all about recent results. Remember, we are talking about perception here. This is hardly a science. Uruguay's recent performances are only part of the reason Uruguay are so many people's dark horse pick. I would contend that many people expect Argentina and Brazil to go very deep into the tournament (i.e. semi-finals and beyond), whereas Uruguay are merely being tipped to get out of a tough group.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2