RealGunner
SamuelJayC
Twoism
Eman
Jay29
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Arsenal 2 - 0 Cardiff City: The return of the Greatest Striker to ever Live Empty Arsenal 2 - 0 Cardiff City: The return of the Greatest Striker to ever Live

Post by Jay29 Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:28 pm

To begin, let's all take a few deep breaths to calm down those heart rates. In, out. In, out...

Right then, it goes without saying that we made that game harder for ourselves. We've seen many times, where a team comes to the Emirates looking to get a point and not showing any attacking intent at all and we hate it because we don't play well against that sort of strategy. Typically, we tend to lack tempo and cutting edge in these situations, and the first half is as good a case study as any.

Wenger decided to go with Podolski to lead the line instead of Bendtner, which was surprising since Wenger has been going on about physical presence up front for ages now. People know how good a finisher Podolski is, but there are justified reservations about him as a striker in our system. Throughout the first half, he struggled to make an impact on the game. While a lack of service may be partly to blame, his own lack of movement didn't help. More often than not, we struggled to play into his feet, which has been an essential element to our play with Giroud and, occasionally, Bendtner, who are both adept at making themselves available for passes.

With no threat down the middle, we needed quality from the flanks and we did create some half chances via that method. Wilshere played a lovely pass over the top for Walcott at the back post, but he volleyed wide; a difficult chance, but still one you sort of expect Walcott to do a bit better with. Monreal later put a great ball across Cardiff's six yard box, but nobody was gambling. Cazorla made someone look silly down the left, cut the ball back to Walcott for him to put his shot into the side netting. Marshall went through the half without having to make a save, and a lot of other Arsenal attacks broke down due to a lack of cutting edge.

The second half saw more chances for us as we played with increasingly more urgency. Success down the middle was still sparse, but we were getting some joy from crosses and set-pieces. Wilshere and Cazorla combined a few times to get in down their right and win a few corners, but nothing came off them. Down our right, Walcott put in some great balls and his delivery from corners was consistently threatening. Two great chances fell to Mertesacker, but he put the first wide and the second against the post. Bendtner, then, failed to get his head on another accurate Walcott cross, and that feeling of "we're not going to score, are we?" started to creep in.

But, thankfully, the goal did come. Walcott, playing more centrally after the introduction of Bendtner, got in behind and played the ball out to Monreal. Monreal's cross is spot on, and Sagna, coming in at the back post, does well to get in front of the defender and get his header on target. Marshall saves, but it comes out to Bendtner who rockets the ball into the roof of the net in the way that only the Greatest Striker to Ever Live can. It's a shame he injured himself doing so, as we immediately looked a better side when he came on.

Walcott's goal, after a nice Wilshere pass, rounded things off nicely.

Credit to Cardiff who made a tremendous effort to keep us out for so long. It looked like that things were going to their way as we missed one too many good chances. But we kept going; kept our nerve and, vitally, kept the door shut at the other end and, overall, we deserved to score and win the game. On another day, a couple of those earlier chances go in and the win is a lot more comfortable.

While the first half was a disappointment, I thought the second half was excellent. Wilshere had a fantastic game, probably his best this season, while Cazorla and Walcott were always threatening. Walcott produced yet again in an important moment in an important game and he ran Wilshere close for man of the match.

So back on top, with City and Chelsea still right behind us. We've got the FA Cup this weekend which we can afford to field a strong side for since it's nine days before our next league game at Villa. That Villa game will be the second game in a row where we'll be playing after City, which is annoying, but all we can do is keep going and keep winning.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Arsenal 2 - 0 Cardiff City: The return of the Greatest Striker to ever Live Empty Re: Arsenal 2 - 0 Cardiff City: The return of the Greatest Striker to ever Live

Post by Eman Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:32 pm

The substitutions changed the game. We were all over them in the second half. Having the ability to sub one footballing deity (Podolski) off for another is fantastic Proud

Rosicky's attacking impetus made a big difference as well. Wilshere was MOTM for me.
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Arsenal 2 - 0 Cardiff City: The return of the Greatest Striker to ever Live Empty Re: Arsenal 2 - 0 Cardiff City: The return of the Greatest Striker to ever Live

Post by Twoism Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:36 pm

If we win this year, it's because of Bendtner. I was so damn nervous we didn't score but the moment I saw Bendtner warming up, I know everything would be alright.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:39 pm

Hahaha, Jay, we are all safe and sound. Though, my risk of a heart attack has probably increased.

As always, during the festive season, performances don't matter much. It's all about results. And we've not draw with Chelsea, then beat West Ham, Newcastle and Cardiff since losing at City. A fantastic response.

Bendtner and, in particular, Rosicky were fantastic when they came on, changed it completely. Wilshere was our best starter today.

Wenger just said Bendtner could be out for a few weeks with the injury he suffered when he scored, but Ozil and Giroud could be back v Spurs.

Next 2 #PremierLeague games:

Arsenal:
Villa (a)
Fulham (h)

Man City:
Newcastle (a)
Cardiff (h)

Chelsea:
Hull (a)
Man Utd (h)
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:50 pm

Lol we all were at the edge of our seats around 80th minute Laughing

It sucks to leave it so late but the moment when you score a late winner. It's an incredible feeling.

It was a weakened team but a team that should have beaten Cardiff comfortably and we did that in the end.

Bendtner :bow:
Theo :bow:

Wilshere was the MOTM by a mile. Such a brilliant performance.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:01 pm

Hi guys. Happy to be alive. Literally almost died last night.

Anyways, luckily got to watch the second half of the match on my phone while I was convulsing and vomiting this morning, and was on the edge of me seat.

I knew bendtner would score. I would be happy with him starting every game. I hope he is ok, he just knows how to finish. No matter what the scenario he plays with confidence.

So glad to get the win, a draw and falling behind man city would have been a terrible way to start the new year
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:09 pm

I know it was close but I knew we would score. Thank god Bendtner with a powerful strike to send us back top of the EPL. Bendtner no mater what anyone says knows our system better and is better finisher thank Giroud.  

Not sure how Mert missed both great chances he had. rofl 

This is a big win, last year of the year before we would drop points even lose the game but our guys are matured and never gave up.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:09 pm

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bc6VJDWIMAA0Gy3.jpg
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:14 pm

VendettaRed07 wrote:Hi guys. Happy to be alive. Literally almost died last night.

Anyways, luckily got to watch the second half of the match on my phone while I was convulsing and vomiting this morning, and was on the edge of me seat.

I knew bendtner would score. I would be happy with him starting every game. I hope he is ok, he just knows how to finish. No matter what the scenario he plays with confidence.

So glad to get the win, a draw and falling behind man city would have been a terrible way to start the new year

what happened?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:16 pm

I love you Per.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:17 pm

Lmao RG. Per :wub:
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:28 pm

That was some of the worst finishing I have seen from us for sometime.9 point out of 9 during the busy festive period, you can't argue with that. 
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:32 pm

Wenger
on Bendtner…
He is a player who has gone through some difficult periods so I just want to give him great credit. I told him already today that he is back to the level I want him to be at, and if he continues to develop like that he will come back into the team. Unfortunately he got injured today and it looks like it is not a question of days, but weeks, with a sprained anke. I am very sad for us, but for him as well.

on what that does to transfer plans…
I don’t know, it doesn’t mean we go straight from Nicklas’ ankle straight to the transfer market. It means that we have Giroud and Bendtner out.

rofl rofl Laughing 
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:40 pm

RealGunner wrote:
VendettaRed07 wrote:Hi guys. Happy to be alive. Literally almost died last night.

what happened?

I got insanely drunk, friends got into a car accident while driving me back, got dropped off at home fell on the ground on my back, and was choking on my vomit for a few minutes. Luckily my mom heard me when she was in bed, and came upstairs and flipped me over because I was gone

lol and love that per picture RG
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:45 pm

Arsenal 2 - 0 Cardiff City: The return of the Greatest Striker to ever Live Bc6iLLcCcAAWdKQ
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:51 pm

So sad he is out Sad
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:09 pm

Walcott form since Nov 30:
8 apps (5 starts) 5 goals, 3 assists
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:23 pm

Wow vendetta glad to hear you're okay..

Anyway on to the match. Boy was that nerve-wrecking. I was sitting and thinking this is it. This is where the shit starts. First game of the new year. This is where our slump starts. But it is truly satisfying to see us win matches like that. It is so important to just grind out the results in this tightly packed fixture list in the festive period.

I just hope we don't get used to this shit where we do absolutely nothing in the first half and try to come alive in the last 10-15 minutes. Won't always work.

Wilshere was great today. Whenever he was on the ball it looked like something was bound to happen. Lovely to see him doing well. Hopefully this will be just the start of a very good year for him and The Arsenal.

On to the next one.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:41 pm

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bc6tNp6CAAAr_XC.jpg
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:41 pm

VendettaRed07 wrote:
RealGunner wrote:

what happened?

I got insanely drunk, friends got into a car accident while driving me back, got dropped off at home fell on the ground on my back, and was choking on my vomit for a few minutes. Luckily my mom heard me when she was in bed, and came upstairs and flipped me over because I was gone

lol and love that per picture RG

Damn man. Glad you are fine.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:04 pm

fantastic match.. i feel so happy.. the most exciting match in the near past.. took me right back to the old Arsenal who keep knocking playing around the box, which i fell in love with..

we started with an eleven which missed our top 3 attackng players this season Ramsey, Giroud and Ozil.. it was still a good 11.. now questions will be on starting Poldi.. naturally he was preferred over Bendtner because he is the option for long term.. but Bendtner being in form he may be the better man for now.. and dont expect more from Poldi other than to score chances he gets on his left foot..

first half was pretty boring.. the weather conditions was affecting our smooth passing.. Cardiff tactics was to press us with a high line despite knowing that our only outlet was Theo.. our plan was long pass to Theo to exploit their highline.. we made some decent attempts with some good runs from Walcott but passes lacked the accuracy.. Arteta was simply amazing pulling the strings of our attack from the deep in first half, long passing towards both flanks.. while Wilshere tried to penetrate the defence with some brilliant dribbling and was unlucky not to win a penalty.. Cazorla was decent but lacked the accuracy and quality in final third most of the time.. Poldis touches were heavy at times but he did a decent job.. Flamini although gave away some balls cheaply, he did a decent job joining the attack..

really loved the 2nd half.. we came with a bang pressed them hard and Cardiff had no chance except to defend deep.. we kept on creating chances and knocking in the door.. Sagna, Metskr and Koscielny was awesome in regaining the ball and passing it back straight to attack.. Monreal was good too..
i cant understand Theo at all.. he tries to play centrally and make runs through the centre which never pays off just like last game.. but in the end he switches to the flanks where he puts some good crosses and finally scores from the flanks.. why cant he do this from the beginning..? Bendtner too looked good winning aerial balls and finally broke the stalemate.. Rosicky added pace to our attacks with his brisk one touch passing and was awesome..

Sczeny - 6.5
Sagna - 7
Metskr - 6.5
Kos - 7
Monreal - 6
Arteta - 7.5
Flamini - 6
Wilshere - 7.5 MOTM
Cazorla - 6
Walcot - 6.5
Poldi - 5.5
Bendtner - 7
Rosicky - 7

this was one hell of a game.. lost count of the nearchances we had.. would have been the most disappointing game so far if couldnt win it.. and as the busy festive season comes to an end, smaller teams with smaller squads have dropped down while the bigger teams with squad depth have consolidated their positions..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:10 pm

stunning  :bow: 

DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:56 am

good summary jay

obviously Podolski isnt cf and yet again we saw that
plus some players starting too many games in short space of time was dangerous

we stood off them and allowed them to pass it in their own half
as Arsene said was key to push higher up and regain possession quicker

all hail Jack/Bac
hope we wont have first halves like this anymore though

so strange to get that many chances from set play against such team without scoring
Arsenal 2 - 0 Cardiff City: The return of the Greatest Striker to ever Live Screen14
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:15 am

Walcott's crossing has improved by leaps and bounds. Almost every cross he put in today was pinpoint accurate and could (and should) easily gotten two assists via BFG's head
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:49 am

and what was this with Theo/Poldi/Arteta/Cazrola all on the pitch https://i.servimg.com/u/f43/16/93/79/64/37329810.gif
http://i.minus.com/ipcmh4D90cfTZ.gif
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next