McLewis
Pedram
Onyx
McAgger
Firenze
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Thomas Hitzlsperger: I am gay. Empty Thomas Hitzlsperger: I am gay.

Post by Firenze Wed 08 Jan 2014, 16:12

Thomas Hitzlsperger, the former Premier League footballer, has announced he is gay.

The German international used an interview with Die Zeit magazine to become the latest footballer to reveal his sexuality.

The 31-year-old, who previously played for Aston Villa, West Ham and Everton during a successful career in England, is one of only a handful of former footballers to reveal they are gay and follows last year's announcement from ex-Leeds United and USA winger Robbie Rogers.

In the interview, Hitzlsperger said it was "a good time" for him to reveal his true sexuality.

"I'm coming out about my homosexuality because I want to move the discussion about homosexuality among professional sportspeople forwards," the midfielder said.

The midfielder, who retired in December because of injuries, said he has only realised "in the past few years" that he would "prefer to live together with another man", saying the issue is otherwise taboo inside the dressing room.

"I've never been ashamed of the way I am," he added, although he conceded it has not always been easy to live with some of the comments dished out on the subject.

"Just picture 20 men sat around a table together drinking - you've just got to let the majority be, just as long as the jokes are halfway funny and the talk about homosexuality doesn't get too insulting," he said.

"In England, Germany or Italy, homosexuality is not taken seriously as an issue, at least not in the dressing room."

Interesting hmm

He's pretty high profile so maybe it will pave the way for others, but I doubt it, he didn't seem to have the courage to come out and admit it publicly  while he was still active. I can understand why though.

inb4 thread gets ignored and swept under the rug or jibers suddenly returns to rant
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Thomas Hitzlsperger: I am gay. Empty Re: Thomas Hitzlsperger: I am gay.

Post by McAgger Wed 08 Jan 2014, 16:22

Well in lad Thumbs up Like you said Firenze he's definitely high profile so will massively help other footballers and athletes alike to get the courage to come out.

Makes me wonder if his retirement was actually due to injury now hmm
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Wed 08 Jan 2014, 16:27

Why does he need to 'come out' though? In fact why do people need to come out? 'Straight' people don't come out saying they're straight... There's nothing wrong with being gay, which is why people don't need to justify themselves.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Wed 08 Jan 2014, 16:40

Yohan Modric wrote:Why does he need to 'come out' though? In fact why do people need to come out? 'Straight' people don't come out saying they're straight... There's nothing wrong with being gay, which is why people don't need to justify themselves.

Not sure if serious.  hmm 
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed 08 Jan 2014, 16:45

The world is overwhelmingly "straight" and this is as seen as the norm so there is no need for a straight person to "come out".

Being gay is still seen as taboo, especially in the uber-macho world of sports. When a player of der Hammer's profile comes out with something like this, it's indeed a moment of importance I believe.

Much akin to when Robbie Rogers did the same thing last year.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by izzy Wed 08 Jan 2014, 17:09

Yohan Modric wrote:Why does he need to 'come out' though? In fact why do people need to come out? 'Straight' people don't come out saying they're straight... There's nothing wrong with being gay, which is why people don't need to justify themselves.

Don't be so ridiculous Mt.
This masculine world we live in is still not that accepting of Homosexuals where it would be considered the norm.
izzy
izzy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Wed 08 Jan 2014, 17:15

My man Proud

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 08 Jan 2014, 17:45

Good for him...
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Wed 08 Jan 2014, 17:46

He's probably the most high profile footballer to come out so far, I guess? hmm
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Thu 09 Jan 2014, 04:55

This will only be true when people stop insisting on focusing on the personal lives of celebrities (aka never). Most people would consider him being photographed kissing a man in public as "coming out" anyway, let alone living with a boyfriend. Assuming he wants to live a normal life, he might as well preempt the speculation and say it out loud himself.

And that's without even going into the issue of how much fear is associated with being "outed" or having rumors circulated about you... It could be detrimental it could be to him professionally, personally, on all sorts of levels. Unless he's supposed to live as a hermit, publishing an interview and having the info put out there on his own terms is the only thing he can do.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Thu 09 Jan 2014, 06:09

Straight people don't need to come out because the world likes to have a wrongful assumption that everyone is straight.. Which propagates the notion amongst the ignorant when that is not the case that it is something that is wrong and a threat to societal customs and what is supposed to be the "correct" relationship model.. Many athletes and fans will infact have a problem with a homosexual athlete on their team.. Or in any aspect of life many people still hate and are bigoted towards homosexuals. Ex the Russian government at the Olympics, ruling against allowing gay athletes to participate which is completely unacceptable. There are more gay athletes and people in general in this world than we know about because they have a fear of telling people who they are because many of them will become targets of hate and anger.. Which just goes to show how hateful the world is. Anyone who is willing to take on the spotlight and whatever adversity that comes with it should be commended... And not just written off as someone annoying others by dilvulging knowledge that should kept secret because it shouldn't have to be public...

To make the point... Falcao takes a picture surrounded by young women and everyone thinks he's awesome... Yet if this kid were to post a picture to Instagram of him holding hands with his boyfriend he would get death threats and hear biggoted and derogatory chants of words that I can't even use here.

That's why gay people have to "come out" because they are NOT allowed the same freedoms of that straight people are.. It's more than just sex is a lifestyle and how people precieve and treat you. More people need to make it open so tha the taboo and anger that arises whenever another person who defines themselves with alternive sexual lifestyles will stop suffering from hate and perscutions becaise of it...
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Thu 09 Jan 2014, 06:27

I doubt everyone here is ok with homosexuality. But as the majority have no problems with it , they might not show up. Therefore I'm asking them to think about how hard it may be to be a gay in this masculine word of sports.
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Thu 09 Jan 2014, 08:12

Gay and proud, say it loud!

They should stop hiding but also should not make a big deal of their sex orientation.

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu 09 Jan 2014, 11:25

He has a lot of balls and do this, not many would of been brave enough to do this to be honest. I mean, to come out and admit you used to play for Everton...

Honestly though, this shouldn't even be news in todays world.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu 09 Jan 2014, 12:25

Imagine you are one of few straight people in a gay world that frowns on straight people. How would you feel if you wouldn't be allowed to bring your girl-friend along (you would actually have to hide her and take care never to be seen with her in public) and possibly have to pose with another guy just to show that you fit in? Wouldn't you want to say "people, but I want to show the person I'm happy with and not act in a way that you think is acceptable"?
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by arabprince Thu 09 Jan 2014, 14:09

Kudos to him. Carlo Garganese tweeted this and the replies to his tweet were jokings that were clearly homophobic. It's a shame. But it just goes to show you the bravery of what Thomas did as sports, as a whole, is extremely homophobic.  Thumbs up 
arabprince
arabprince
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Thu 09 Jan 2014, 17:09

An even braver admission is that he used to play for West Ham -BBCSporf

Good on him, hope the beautiful game can stick true to its name by reacting positively.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri 10 Jan 2014, 00:32

Always known for "scoring outside the box"
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Fri 10 Jan 2014, 01:16

Red Alert wrote:He has a lot of balls and do this, not many would of been brave enough to do this to be honest. I mean, to come out and admit you used to play for Everton...
Proud
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri 10 Jan 2014, 01:28

rwo power wrote:
Imagine you are one of few straight people in a gay world that frowns on straight people. How would you feel if you wouldn't be allowed to bring your girl-friend along (you would actually have to hide her and take care never to be seen with her in public) and possibly have to pose with another guy just to show that you fit in? Wouldn't you want to say "people, but I want to show the person I'm happy with and not act in a way that you think is acceptable"?

Yeh true, but not everyone thinks being gay is unacceptable, wrong or not normal. I'm sure plenty of people are intelligent and open minded to accept everyone however they are. They understand that being gay is an alternative to being straight and it's not some sort of disease. Anyway I really don't understand why people would have a problem with other people being gay. No one's forcing them to be gay and no one's throwing stones at them for witnessing 2 gay people together. It doesn't concern them.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Fri 10 Jan 2014, 03:37

Good for him..Agreed with rwo. Must be hard to lead a life where such a large part of your self has to be hidden away from the public.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Fri 10 Jan 2014, 04:04

Obviously not football related... and I think it is good the trend now is for ppl to be more free to choose what they want and if they are born or just 'naturally occurring' to be gay and they want to not 'hide' it anymore then fair enough.

On the other hand, Im just worried though that it seems everywhere in the world now, things are starting to feel like just overly freewill and openly expressive and it has an effect on countries and cultures where all this is relatively very new to them, and that could be a bad effect. Look at the events in Indian as an example, too much exposure  too quickly... If all these 'famous' ppl around the world ppl look up to or after they come out just naturally affects what people may think, especially for the young people, Im not totally sure if its a good thing.

I wonder what everyone else thinks about this...
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Badger Fri 10 Jan 2014, 07:20

Maybe to cease any malicious vindictive rumours and speculation by homophobes and the media. I'm not saying that is the case here, but it was revealed on his terms rather than being pressured into doing so like so many people are.

The_Badger
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Fri 10 Jan 2014, 15:12

Hitzlsperger to be on BBC One tomorrow at 12pm. Looking forward to it.

Thomas Hitzlsperger: I am gay. Bdn5BLVCAAAmRVL
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat 11 Jan 2014, 16:49

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/08/thomas-hitzlsperger-gay-footballer-interview

nice interview.

Well done, Hitze, good for you and all the best!
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum