Post by Onyx Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:11 pm

Not Worthy of a Thread Mk. II - Page 8 BlSNGEZCYAAOyrU

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Not Worthy of a Thread Mk. II - Page 8 Empty Re: Not Worthy of a Thread Mk. II

Post by RedOranje Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:55 pm

Is that specifically from open play or does it also count freekicks? Judging by the numbers, I'd guess the latter but I'm still curious.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:09 pm

Paul Carr ‏@PCarrESPN 7m
Continuing the London theme, Olivier Giroud has scored 21 of his 25 PL goals in London (17 at home).

Ives Galarcep ‏@SoccerByIves 8m
@PCarrESPN Didn’t scoring away from home get him into some trouble? Haha
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:35 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:Not Worthy of a Thread Mk. II - Page 8 BlSNGEZCYAAOyrU
Juventus... Pogba and Pirlo :bow:
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:05 pm

Andrea Pirlo talks candidly about his career: On that 'panenka' penalty; on Roy Hodgson; on Zlatan Ibrahimovic; on Mario Balotelli; on winning the World Cup and on his PlayStation obsession

He is the man who has won the World Cup, two Champions Leagues, and four Serie A titles with Milan and Juventus.

More than that, Andrea Pirlo is one cool dude. The luxuriously bearded Italian has been one of the most cultured midfielders of his generation. He was also the man with the nerve to chip Joe Hart in the Euro 2012 penalty shoot-out.

Now 34, he will face England again in their first World Cup game in Italy in Manaus on 14 June. His autobiography, I Think Therefore I Play, published in English by Back Page Press, is one of the best footballers’ memoirs of recent times. This is Pirlo, in his own words.

On himself

I don't feel pressure ... I don't give a toss about it. I spent the afternoon of Sunday, July 9, 2006 in Berlin sleeping and playing the PlayStation. In the evening, I went out and won the World Cup.

On Milanello

We met in the room used for team meals, halfway between the kitchen and the hall with the hearth where Berlusconi would pound away on the piano and tell various kinds of jokes. Equidistant between the most modest part of the complex and the richest. Between a symbol of humility and one of unabashed power. Between a place where people sweat buckets earning relatively little, and a spot where they earn a fortune sweating just the right amount.

On denying transfer rumours

You're then forced to tell the media a lot of crap; provided, of course, that they manage to ask you the right question. If they enquire whether it's right you'd practically signed for Madrid, you are duty-bound to respond hiding behind well worn clichés and half truths. You read a dull, lifeless script written by press officers with no talent or creative spark. “No, that's not the case. I'm perfectly happy in Milan.” F*** off!

On his PlayStation obsession

After the wheel, the PlayStation is the best invention of all time. And ever since it's existed, I've been Barcelona, apart from a brief spell way back at the start when I'd go Milan.

The head to heads [with room-mate Alessandro Nesta, 'Sandro'] were pure adrenaline. I'd go Barcelona and so would Sandro. Barca v Barca. The first player I'd pick was the quickest one, Samuel Eto'o, but I'd still end up losing a lot of the time. I'd get pissed off and hurl away my controller before asking Sandro for a rematch. And then I'd lose again.

It's not like I could use the excuse that his coach was better than mine: it was Pep Guardiola for him and Pep Guardiola for me. At least in terms of our manager we set out on a level footing. One day we thought about kidnapping him. The flesh and bones, real life version that is. It was August 25, 2010, and we were with Milan at the Nou Camp for the Gamper pre-season tournament. We thought better of our hostage-taking in the end. To avoid constantly falling out, we'd have needed to saw him in two when we got back to Italy, and that wouldn't have been a good idea. How the poor thing would have suffered.

On meeting Guardiola about a move to Barca

I wasn't really bothered about much else in the room besides the person who had summoned me. Guardiola was sitting in an armchair. He began to tell me about Barcelona, saying that it's a world apart, a perfect machine that pretty much invented itself. He wore a white shirt and a pair of dark trousers whose colour matched that of his tie. He was elegant in the extreme, much like his conversation.

I immediately thought of Sandro – he'd die of jealousy when I told him [that Guardiola wanted to sign Pirlo]. I was taking away the 50% of Guardiola that belonged to him.

On being given the first penalty in the 2006 World Cup final shootout

Being first on the spot, kicking off that torture in the biggest, most incredible game that a player can play or imagine ... That's not necessarily good news. It means they think you're the best, but it also means that if you miss, you're first on the list of d********.

On taking that penalty against France

Caressing the ball was something I had to do. I lifted my eyes to the heavens and asked for help because if God exists, there's no way he's French. I took a long, intense breath. That breath was mine, but it could have been the manual worker who struggles to make it to the end of the month, the rich businessmen who is a bit of a shit, the teacher, the student, the Italian expats who never left our side during the tournament, the well-to-do Milanese signora, the hooker on the street corner. In that moment, I was all of them.

You won't believe me, but it was right in that very moment I understood what a great thing it is to be Italian. It's a truly priceless privilege.

On his ‘panenka’ penalty against Hart

I made my decision right at the last second, when I saw Joe Hart, the England goalie, doing all sorts on his line. As I began my run up, I still hadn't decided what I was going to do. And then he moved and my mind was made up. It was all impromptu, not premeditated. The only way I could see pushing my chances of scoring close to 100%. There was absolutely no showboating about it - that's not my style.

On the honour of playing for Italy

Take someone like Antonio Cassano. He says he's slept with 700 women in his time, but he doesn't get picked for Italy any more. Deep down, can he really be happy? I certainly wouldn't be.

On Rino Gattuso

Rino's word was law at Milan, and anyone new to the club was aware that the first thing they had to do if they made a mistake was explain themselves to him. Just having that knowledge drastically reduced the chances of people f***ing up.

On Marcello Lippi's approach during the 2006 World Cup

It was a real team effort that made us world champions in Germany but, at one point, Lippi had this to say about the group: “You're all s***; you disgust me ... You talk to the journalists too much. You're spies who can't keep a single secret – those guys always know the team in real time. What's that all about? I can't even trust you.”

On playing for Roy Hodgson at Inter Milan

Hodgson mispronounced my name. He called me 'Pirla' (d*******), perhaps understanding my true nature more than the other managers.

On agreeing to join Chelsea (Milan refused to sell)

It was August 2009 and I had reached agreement with Chelsea, the club where Ancelotti had just come in as manager. Carlo was like a father and a teacher for me, a kind, friendly man who knew how to make things fun.

On the legendary fight at Milanello between Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Oguchi Onyewu

I saw them laying into one another like two bullyboys from the roughest estate. They looked like they were trying to kill each other: there were definitely some broken ribs, despite silence and denials from the king's buglers who said it was just a 'lively confrontation'. Those of us who'd witnessed it were put in mind of a mafia-style settling of the scores.

On losing the Champions League final to Liverpool in 2005 in Istanbul having led 3-0

When that torture of the game was finished, we sat like a bunch of half-wits in the dressing room ... we were bloodthirsty zombies faced with an unforeseen problem – the blood was ours and they'd drunk every last drop. We couldn't speak. We couldn't move. They'd mentally destroyed us. The damage was already evident even in those early moments, and it only got more stark and serious as the hours went on. Insomnia, rage, depression, a sense of nothingness. We'd invented a new disease with multiple symptoms: Istanbul syndrome.

I no longer felt like a player, and that was devastating enough. Even worse, I no longer felt like a man.

That's right: for f***'s sake. Double f***. The first words that come to my lips when I think of Istanbul.

On Sir Alex Ferguson's decision to use Park Ji Sung to man-mark him, something Pirlo hates

Even Ferguson, the purple-nosed manager who turned Manchester United into a fearsome battleship, couldn't resist the temptation. He's essentially a man without blemish, but he ruined that purity just for a moment when it came to me. A fleeting shabbiness came over the legend that night. On one of the many occasions when our paths crossed during my time at Milan, he unleashed Park Ji Sung to shadow me. The midfielder must have been the first nuclear powered South Korean in history, in the sense that he rushed about the pitch at the speed of an electron.

On the racists who abuse Mario Balotelli

They’re a truly horrendous bunch, a herd of frustrated individuals who’ve taken the worst of history and made it their own ... whenever I see Mario at an Italy training camp, I’ll give him a big smile. It’s my way of letting him know that I’m right behind and that he mustn’t give up. A gesture that means ‘thank you’.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/andrea-pirlo-talks-candidly-about-his-career-on-that-panenka-penalty-on-roy-hodgson-on-zlatan-ibrahimovic-on-mario-balotelli-on-winning-the-world-cup-and-on-his-playstation-obsession-9259845.html
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:11 pm

Pirlo :bow:

"I lifted my eyes to the heavens and asked for help because if God exists, there's no way he's French."

rofl
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:29 pm

Pirlo is upset SAF asked Park to man mark him, im confused...I guess books have to sell any way possible.

Raddy Antic is probably right about Messi...tbh I would take him back to coach us post Martino, for a short period.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:36 pm

The Franchise wrote:Pirlo is upset SAF asked Park to man mark him, im confused...I guess books have to sell any way possible.

Raddy Antic is probably right about Messi...tbh I would take him back to coach us post Martino, for a short period.

Because Park is human dynamo, and it tired him a lot being marked by him.

I remember the game, and it was probably one of the most exhausting games for Pirlo.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:47 pm

So Sir Alex has somehow "ruined his purity" because of that?
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:04 pm

Fußball wrote:
Robespierre wrote:the most impressive thing is the last imo
the best coach ever about the home matches , impressive statistics

Well, unsurprisingly that record didn't last too long in La Liga, the best league of all time. He lost 2 times at home in his first season alone. La Liga. :bow:

Credit a Sporting Gijon , probably the most relevant thing made in their history Laughing
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:30 pm

The Franchise wrote:So Sir Alex has somehow "ruined his purity" because of that?

I think it was just a fun dig. These books are stylistically bad, and are a literary mess.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:16 pm

I don't think Pirlo was being serious, the book seems to be quite light-hearted
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:38 pm

Pirlo is such a boss Proud

The book is very well written. Some hilarious parts Laughing
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:18 pm

Barcelona legend Johan Cruyff has urged the club to bring back Pep Guardiola at the end of the season.

The Blaugrana have endured a difficult last few weeks, being knocked out of the Champions League by Atletico Madrid, and also, seemingly, out of the title following a defeat to Granada.

But ahead of the Copa del Rey final this evening against Real Madrid, the Dutch great has claimed that the best thing the Camp Nou outfit can do is re-hire the Bayern Munich boss.

“The best thing for Barcelona is for Guardiola to come back,” he told Mundo Deportivo.

“If Joan Laporta became President again I'd say that the best thing to do is to sign Pep, and as an intelligent person, I'm sure he would.”

Cruyff then went on to comment on the behind-the-scenes fiasco that has derailed the team this season, with former President Sandro Rosell standing down following the Neymar affair, and the club being banded from signing players for two transfer windows after being found guilty of flouting rules on under-18s.

“Those who know what to do are not the decision makers, it's those who want to take advantage of the football business.

“When Laporta was the President, he left those who knew football like [former director of football] Txiki Begiristain and Frank Rijkaard and then Pep to make football decisions.

“Everyone can make mistakes, but they knew football motivated their decisions and Laporta was dedicated to being the president and protecting them.

“That's why it worked. There were good and bad moments, but overall it was a great step for both sides.”

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:17 pm

Not Worthy of a Thread Mk. II - Page 8 8LJEt4h
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:56 pm

Not Worthy of a Thread Mk. II - Page 8 1397830848
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:17 pm

Sherwood :facepalm: didn't even know how to use Eriksen or Holtby correctly and you trust him with a talent like Lamela.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:41 pm

Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s agent has claimed that he has ‘no respect’ for Barcelona and Pep Guardiola.

The Swedish striker spent just one season at Camp Nou following a big-money move from Inter in 2009.

However, after falling out with then Coach Guardiola, the goalscorer left for Milan, first on loan, and then in a permanent move.

“Who was supposed to defend Zlatan in Barcelona if it hadn't been me? His wife? The whole club talked him down," Mino Raiola told 11 Freunde.

“He was the king at Inter and after his move he was suddenly a nobody. Pep Guardiola let him down, without any explanation.

“Ask Guardiola what his mistake was. He won't answer, because he can't admit he made a mistake - that would insult his intelligence.

“If you pay €79m for a player and don't let him play, that's not just totally dumb but also financially damaging.

“Most of the agents wouldn't criticise this policy because they are afraid big Barcelona will never ever buy a player of theirs.

“I just don't care. I have no respect for a club if the club has no respect for my players.

“If the relationship doesn't work out, you have to end it.”

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:33 pm

Barcelona President Josep Maria Bartomeu has confirmed he has no intention of calling elections at the Catalan club.

Bartomeu assumed the position upon the resignation of Sandro Rosell amid calls for a vote on the Presidency to take place.

But in an interview with Spanish television, AS reports that Bartomeu has said he will see out the term of his predecessor.

“There won’t be elections. We have been elected,” Bartomeu said.

“We have a project until 2016 and according to the club’s constitution, if a President resigns, executives continue, so no, no elections. We will continue for two years.

“We’ll talk about the changes that need to occur for next year. We will spend many weeks working on the future but we can’t announce anything yet because we are still in competition.

“It’s not time. What I will say in advance is there will be a revolution as deep as Laporta.

“We respect the Coach and still have five League games so we have to look forward.

“We are very close to the League leader, who might fail. We’ll talk about other issues but for now let’s focus on the League.

“We will support him and give him confidence for the next games.”

The future of sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta was also raised and Bartomeu confirmed the former goalkeeper will stay in his position.

“Andoni will lead the extensive refurbishment and we hope he accomplishes it,” the President said.

“He is working so it happens. Many decisions have already been taken and we will announce them in time.

“We have worked very hard and very well.”

Lionel Messi’s future was also discussed and Bartomeu repeated that Barca want to keep the Argentine, intending to build the team around him.

Bartomeu warned however that too much has been expected of Messi this season.

“We aren’t being fair to Leo. He has led the team for several years and he has done very well,” Bartomeu continued.

“We have no doubt he will lead the future of the club and that’s what we want.

“He’s very young, he’s the best player in the world and we rely on him.

“We’re not talking about a new contract but an amendment to the current one,” Bartomeu clarified.

“His contract runs until 2018 but I want to make an improvement to adapt to the current situation of football. We only ask that the fans support us as before with this effort.”

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:47 am

For some reason I found this very funny for Easter:

Spoiler:
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:00 am

rofl
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:46 am

Laughing
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:20 pm

PEC Zwolle stun Ajax 5-1 in Dutch Cup Final... after rain of fireworks almost sees match abandoned in Rotterdam

Overwhelming underdogs PEC Zwolle upset Eredivisie leaders Ajax 5-1 in a sensational Dutch Cup final - where the drama came from both on and off the pitch in equal measure.
The match in Rotterdam was suspended after the opening minutes when Zwolle's first foray into the holder's penalty area was greeted with a storm of fireworks thrown by the Ajax supporters. Police said 19 people were arrested before the kick-off for carrying fireworks and insulting behaviour.
Nonetheless, smoke bombs, flares and fireworks damaged the pitch and set an advertising hoarding alight to twice delay the match. Players were sent back to the dressing room with even former Ajax and Manchester United keeper Edwin van der Sar publicly pleading with fans to 'Stop with this sh*t'.

Play resumed almost half an hour later when the provincial side surprised everyone by winning their first ever piece of silverware.

Not Worthy of a Thread Mk. II - Page 8 Article-2609040-1D39C90400000578-951_634x435
Not Worthy of a Thread Mk. II - Page 8 Article-2609040-1D39C92D00000578-418_634x435
Not Worthy of a Thread Mk. II - Page 8 Article-2609040-1D39C92000000578-942_634x435
Not Worthy of a Thread Mk. II - Page 8 Article-2609040-1D39762300000578-535_634x435
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:18 pm

Fabio Capello has confirmed that he will retire from the game after the 2018 World Cup.

The former Milan and Roma Coach is currently in charge of the Russian national team, and is currently preparing to take the country to the tournament in Brazil this summer.

However, the veteran tactician has revealed that he will call it a day after his contract expires in four years’ time.

“After the World Cup in 2018 I’ll be 71,” he told R-Sports. “And at that point it will be time to stop.

“This is my last contract. I’ll do what Alex Ferguson did. He went at 72, and I’ll be gone a year earlier.”

The ex-Italy international won five Serie A titles with the Rossoneri and the Giallorossi, as well as one Champions League, one European Super Cup and four domestic Supercoppas during a 17-year managerial career in italy.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:30 pm

:bow:

Roughly 500,000 people showed up to celebrate Benfica's first Portuguese Liga title since 2010.

Not Worthy of a Thread Mk. II - Page 8 Blw8tCPIIAA-wRJ

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by chad4401 Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:43 pm

congratz to benfica  Molenation 
chad4401
chad4401
First Team