RealGunner
El Gunner
CBarca
45 posters

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Movie House - Part 4 - Page 34 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 4

Post by Freeza Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:01 pm

Marvel is getting overrated way too much imo. In the same timespan DC has made 2 films better than anything Marvel's put out imho. Does anyone really consider Hulk, Thor1&2, Cap 1, IM 2&3 as anything more than enjoyable? I forgot about those movie an hour after watching them.

Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:14 pm

The Avengers, GOTG, Cap 2, IM 1 all boss

What 2 movies are you talking about for DC? Are you counting the Nolan Batmans? pls go

And Man of Steel was nothing special for me. Meh film after so much hype.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:23 pm

Don't call me James wrote:The Avengers, GOTG, Cap 2, IM 1 all boss

What 2 movies are you talking about for DC? Are you counting the Nolan Batmans? pls go

And Man of Steel was nothing special for me. Meh film after so much hype.

So I can't count the Nolan Batman films as? But people can dish on the awful Green Lantern movie? despite both not being part of a bigger universe. Seems legit.

The 4 you mentioned all very good to great. Other than those I'd think they're pretty average. People acting like Marvel shit gold, even though their movies other than those 4 aren't anything spectacular.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:31 pm

For DC I don't count any other films other than Man of Steel, and I was disappointed with that. Nolan's Batmans were always a separate project for DC and never considered to be a part of the mixed universe they were thinking about.

Forget about Green Lantern, it was garbage but it was before all the agreements for a mixed universe for the characters I believe, so meh don't count it.

Like I said DC is being very ambitious and I have a hard time seeing them beat out Marvel's work so far because they set a garbage precedent with Man of Steel.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:41 pm

the GL in the Justice League movies will almost certainly be John Stewart.  He's the GL most of the target audience are familiar with due to the Justice League cartoon from the early noughties and the Hal Jordan well may still be poisoned from that terrible abortion of a film in 2011.  With 5 years to build up to it, the GL movie in 2020 may actually have the necessary base of lore already established to feature multiple human GLs or even focus on one that is different from the Justice League member (Kyle, Guy, Hal if its Stewart as expected) or, even more boldly, actually focus on the Green Lantern CORPS rather than an individual, allowing for some of the non-human members to take center stage.

To be honest though, I completely lack any confidence in DC and WB to produce a sustainable and engaging cinematic universe.  I rather expect this entire endeavor to fail long before the GL movie goes into production and end up scrapped.  DC has a history of failing with live-action films and in particular in adapting the actual comic-atmosphere that, in my opinion, is necessary to make such a system of movies work.  Whatever criticisms of Marvel's films exist (and there are plenty of legitimate ones), one cannot deny that they have found a method for successfully translating the feeling and spirit of comics to live action films.  DC's only major successes so far have instead come from diverging from the source materials in fundamental and extreme ways.  While such an approach may work well for isolated, self-enclosed series like TDK series, I cannot see it working within the structure of a shared universe.

tl:dr - Much as I'd like to see a 2020 GL movie that explores the greater GL mythos and a sustained, shared DC cinematic universe, I think it will ultimately fail long before that point.  The weight of too much attempted "reality" grounded in the dark, edgy world of the wildly successful take on Batman will eventually cause a flimsy and superficial basis for such a universe to crumble.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:42 pm

Okay the quality of a company's movie production only count if it's connected with other movies. Legit. Man of Steel was still the best superhero movie of last year imo. Nowhere near the 4 best from Marvel, but it would be 5th on Marvel's list imo.
Should WB and DC be less ambitious though? Showing confidence is the only thing that'll help them. All the heroes in that Line-up are probably as well known as Iron Man was before 08. I'm not a fanboy of any of DC or Marvel, I just enjoy great superhero movies tbh.
Fox is also a major player in this. Their X-men movies have been great, or atleast the ones with Brian Singer and Matthew Vaughn's involvement.

All in all DC and WB's success may lie in variation in the tone of their movies, and not over dramatize everything. Batman needs to be very dark, while Shazam should be a lighter toned movie.
DC needs to hit the next movie out of the park though. If Marvel's success, despite a lot of their movies being nothing spectacular, proves that a couple great movies can make your brand huge, and that the general audience goes crazy for a recognizable and trustworthy brand.

Last edited by Freeza on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:44 pm

If anyone has the time, I highly recommend reading some of the early drafts for the 2011 Green Lantern script that are still floating around online. It's almost unrecognizable from the final project. I'm not sure entirely what happened (there are plenty of theories but few real facts) but between the early drafts and shooting and the final drafts and actual production & editing the film was gutted of key content and depth... and the terrible decision with the CGI GL outfit certainly did not help (and stood in stark contrast to what I thought was a quite well done Oa and GLC).
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Freeza wrote:Okay the quality of a company's movie production only count if it's connected with other movies. Legit. Man of Steel was still the best superhero movie of last year imo. Nowhere near the 4 best from Marvel, but it would be 5th on Marvel's list imo.
Should WB and DC be less ambitious though? Showing confidence is the only thing that'll help them. All the heroes in that Line-up are probably as well known as Iron Man was before 08. I'm not a fanboy of any of DC or Marvel, I just enjoy great superhero movies tbh.
Fox is also a major player in this. Their X-men movies have been great, or atleast the ones with Brian Singer and Matthew Vaughn's involvement.

I disagree with your assessment of MoS, to be honest. While it was a solid film I felt it honestly lacked harm and certainly diverged dramatically from the core concepts of Superman that have made the character so iconic and lasting. It felt sterile and cold. Going back to my previous point, I think it attempted to be realistic and for whatever reason this seems to mean taking a more cynical, darker tone than the source material. Such an approach works for standalone films and franchises but I personally believe that it would not work within the framework of a shared cinematic universe... the "weight" would simply prove too heavy for the base to sustain, especially given DC do not have the same early success that Marvel did with Iron Man from which to build their shared universe.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:49 pm

Don't call me James wrote:SO yeah, just watched Boyhood

and WOOOOOOOOOOW what a beautiful masterpiece. In terms of scope of art and perfection of beauty of a life of a young man to adulthood is just incredible.

Seriously, this film's demographic is certainly most of us here in GL. Recommend it to every single one of you. It should make you tear up and reminisce over your own life.

My personal favorite film of 2014 and goes straight into my top 10 of all time. AMAZING. 9.5/10.

Definite Oscar nomination for Linklater, the director, for me. He shot the film over 11 years ffs :bow: 11 goddam years and the actors just beautifully grew with the role.

Was wondering if this film was going to be fantastic and one I should go see, or one that is overrated. It's certainly the type of film I think would appeal to me, and after your recommendation, I think I may have to go see it.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:50 pm

@RO are you certain that they'd choose John Stewart as the GL in Justice League? I'd hope they go that way and introduce more of the Green Lantern Corps in the 2020 movie, as I find it very interesting, despite not having any knowledge about it.
Just thinking, if you reason for them picking John Stewart is valid, why not go for Wally West? He's also more fitting for Ezra Miller.

Ryan Reynolds really can't catch a break in comic book movies Laughing 0 for 3 as of now.. And it's not even his fault.

Also Jon Schnepp (director of a new superman doc) says the leaked script for Batman v. Superman is legit, and that would introduce the Green Lantern.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:55 pm

RedOranje wrote:
Freeza wrote:Okay the quality of a company's movie production only count if it's connected with other movies. Legit. Man of Steel was still the best superhero movie of last year imo. Nowhere near the 4 best from Marvel, but it would be 5th on Marvel's list imo.

I disagree with your assessment of MoS, to be honest. While it was a solid film I felt it honestly lacked harm and certainly diverged dramatically from the core concepts of Superman that have made the character so iconic and lasting. It felt sterile and cold. Going back to my previous point, I think it attempted to be realistic and for whatever reason this seems to mean taking a more cynical, darker tone than the source material. Such an approach works for standalone films and franchises but I personally believe that it would not work within the framework of a shared cinematic universe... the "weight" would simply prove too heavy for the base to sustain, especially given DC do not have the same early success that Marvel did with Iron Man from which to build their shared universe.

Yeah Man of Steel had huge problems imo. I really liked the first hour of the movie. And the battle against Zod I also enjoyed. Other than that it kind of didn't do it for me. It's probably more well liked in Europe, because the general knowledge of Superman isn't that great. Still have a long way to go. Thought the script was the main problem. But I hope they're going to fix that by bringing in Chris Terrio to write the scripts, since David Goyer is a George Lucas-level dialogue writer.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:02 pm

RedOranje wrote:the GL in the Justice League movies will almost certainly be John Stewart.  He's the GL most of the target audience are familiar with due to the Justice League cartoon from the early noughties and the Hal Jordan well may still be poisoned from that terrible abortion of a film in 2011.  With 5 years to build up to it, the GL movie in 2020 may actually have the necessary base of lore already established to feature multiple human GLs or even focus on one that is different from the Justice League member (Kyle, Guy, Hal if its Stewart as expected) or, even more boldly, actually focus on the Green Lantern CORPS rather than an individual, allowing for some of the non-human members to take center stage.

To be honest though, I completely lack any confidence in DC and WB to produce a sustainable and engaging cinematic universe.  I rather expect this entire endeavor to fail long before the GL movie goes into production and end up scrapped.  DC has a history of failing with live-action films and in particular in adapting the actual comic-atmosphere that, in my opinion, is necessary to make such a system of movies work.  Whatever criticisms of Marvel's films exist (and there are plenty of legitimate ones), one cannot deny that they have found a method for successfully translating the feeling and spirit of comics to live action films.  DC's only major successes so far have instead come from diverging from the source materials in fundamental and extreme ways.  While such an approach may work well for isolated, self-enclosed series like TDK series, I cannot see it working within the structure of a shared universe.

tl:dr - Much as I'd like to see a 2020 GL movie that explores the greater GL mythos and a sustained, shared DC cinematic universe, I think it will ultimately fail long before that point.  The weight of too much attempted "reality" grounded in the dark, edgy world of the wildly successful take on Batman will eventually cause a flimsy and superficial basis for such a universe to crumble.

I am excited for the movies, but I agree with your concern about DC's inability to adapt comic book films. Their best ones were amazing possibly because of Nolan and the fact it wasn't really an adaptation but their own material which translated more as a non-comic film than a comic one. I think MOS was the start of their live action series. And unlike Freeza, I didn't really like MOS much. Thought it lacked spine and and was bland at times. But even putting that aside, it didn't really feel like a solid adaptation like marvel has done it so well with their films recently.

However, I am still excited because maybe they have learnt. MOS wasn't near as bad as their previous films(apart from TDK series) and maybe looking at how Marvel has found success, they might try and emulate the same instead of going to try and make similar type of superhero films like TDK.

Also perhaps this time the hype might carry the films because this really is an era for the comic films and it will certainly do well at the box office because people like me and you will obviously go and watch it despite the reviews(well maybe not Cyborg). Hopefully the films are all good.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:04 pm

Freeza wrote:

Lol my friend who loves to find plot holes in time travel movie just ruined DOFP in terms of timeline inconsistencies. I don't know what am i going to do with my life anymore Sad

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:06 pm

RealGunner wrote:
Freeza wrote:

Lol my friend who loves to find plot holes in time travel movie just ruined DOFP in terms of timeline inconsistencies. I don't know what am i going to do with my life anymore Sad

I have never seen any time travel movie without inconsistencies. Back to the Future is amazing and one of my favourite films of all time, and still has loads of problems.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:09 pm

As far as the castings go, Marvel really have knocked it out of the park with pretty much every single character.

It's obviously too early to judge DC's-WB's castings but the initial impressions are not so great. Cavill is a perfect casting and personally like Affleck as Batman and Gadot as WW but the rest I don't know.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:13 pm

CBarca wrote:
Don't call me James wrote:SO yeah, just watched Boyhood

and WOOOOOOOOOOW what a beautiful masterpiece. In terms of scope of art and perfection of beauty of a life of a young man to adulthood is just incredible.

Seriously, this film's demographic is certainly most of us here in GL. Recommend it to every single one of you. It should make you tear up and reminisce over your own life.

My personal favorite film of 2014 and goes straight into my top 10 of all time. AMAZING. 9.5/10.

Definite Oscar nomination for Linklater, the director, for me. He shot the film over 11 years ffs :bow: 11 goddam years and the actors just beautifully grew with the role.

Was wondering if this film was going to be fantastic and one I should go see, or one that is overrated. It's certainly the type of film I think would appeal to me, and after your recommendation, I think I may have to go see it.

Having seen the sort of movies you enjoy, I think this is definitely one for you. It might appeal to you more than most, as it did for me.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:13 pm

Still hoping Scoot Mcnairy has a big role in this universe, great actor.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Freeza wrote:@RO are you certain that they'd choose John Stewart as the GL in Justice League? I'd hope they go that way and introduce more of the Green Lantern Corps in the 2020 movie, as I find it very interesting, despite not having any knowledge about it.
Just thinking, if you reason for them picking John Stewart is valid, why not go for Wally West? He's also more fitting for Ezra Miller.

Ryan Reynolds really can't catch a break in comic book movies Laughing 0 for 3 as of now.. And it's not even his fault.

Also Jon Schnepp (director of a new superman doc) says the leaked script for Batman v. Superman is legit, and that would introduce the Green Lantern.

I'm not certain, no.  I'd merely speculating based on my previous comic and movie experience using the reasons explained above (as well as a cynical expectation of the studio wishing to diversify the team) as a basis.  Many young adults that will be within the target audience for the movies now were children watching the Justice League cartoon during its run in the early 2000s and that cartoon features John Stewart as THE Green Lantern of the Justice League... so much so that there was actually notable confusion among non-comic readers when the 2011 movie featured Hal Jordan instead.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they DID opt for Wally West as Flash in the JL movies before the TV show came out.  With the show providing greater exposure for Barry Allen now, though, I think they'll opt to continue with him... unless the show flops miserably.  Also, while it may be uncomfortable to consider, race probably plays a role as well.  There's a much more recognizable difference between John Stewart and Hal Jordan than between Barry Allen and Wally West.  

As an aside, they've also recently changed Wally West in the comics so that he no longer bears any real resemblance to the red-haired person we're familiar with from the 1990s and 2000s comics and cartoons (that's him on the far right):
The Movie House - Part 4 - Page 34 1604mjs
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:45 pm

Hmm that might explain why Iris is black in the Flash TV Series since they are probably following the new comic adaptation and if in few seasons Wally is introduced, he will probably be like that as well.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:21 pm

Hmm moving from this

Just found out there is a sequel coming out for Independence Day lol. 20 years after the first one. That's gonna go down well.

Last edited by RealGunner on Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:24 pm

If it follows in the same spirit of the first movie it should do reasonably well, to be honest. Independence Day was a fun, exciting movie built around a simple concept with a focus on execution. Keep it simple, keep it light, and keep it entertaining... that's all that's really necessary.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:34 pm

Yeah I loved Independence Day just for the fact that it was simple and fun.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:45 pm

No Will Smith though. Nepotism etc.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:58 am

Warner Bros. has made overtures to Will Smith, Ryan Gosling, Tom Hardy, and Margot Robbie for Suicide Squad (Hollywood Reporter).
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:12 am

M99 wrote:Warner Bros. has made overtures to Will Smith, Ryan Gosling, Tom Hardy, and Margot Robbie for Suicide Squad (Hollywood Reporter).

Holy Shit a budget they're gonna need to pay those legends Proud

http://www.latino-review.com/news/huge-dc-movie-news-update-braniac-justice-league-suicide-squad

That's the reported list of characters.
Deadshot (leader)
Blockbuster
Multiplex
Jaculi
Mindboggler
Harkness
Vixen

No Harley Quinn according to that report. Could see Margot Robbie as Harley though got the body and look down.

Deadshot is the lead role, apparently Gosling is rumoured to be the frontrunner. Amanda Waller is another major role. The secondary leaders of the squad and bigger roles are Harkness and Vixen.

El Mayimbe from Latino Review says he's read the script and that it's really good. It's a different property, and it's really intriguing imo, really looking forward to it.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:52 pm

Just to think of it. The WB executive pulling the strings have really gone all in. The loss if he folds this hand could end up being worse than half the movies flopping. Now they need to stick to this plan. And I hope they do.

I hope Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn will happen, she's the absolute perfect look for that role.

Also the whole fanboy thing of DC and Marvel confuse me, because if anything, competition increases quality, so fans of both companies should only cheer for each other.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next