Post by FalcaoPunch Sun 29 Jun 2014 - 6:14

I only support two NT and they are Colombia and USA :bow:

FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

'Muricans - Page 5 Empty Re: 'Muricans

Post by windkick Sun 29 Jun 2014 - 6:21

RedOranje wrote:Every supporter has to start somewhere. Rather than getting angry, criticising them, or making fun of them for showing support during the WC, why not try to encourage them to follow the sport at club level or inform them about clubs/other international tournaments?

And there's really no rule against supporting multiple national teams (despite what some on the forums would have you believe)... you can have multiple nationalities through lineage and residence, so it's perfectly legitimate to support the teams you have connections with.

For sure, and trust me I am quick to sit down and have conversations with them about who the players are, who they play for, who are the favorites and the rules etc. I do not get angry at them for watching the sport, if anything I try and tell them they should start to watch more of MLS since allot of the guys on the USA team play here. So it's a great opening to some of them; but the majority of them I can tell by there reaction that they don't really care. They are just rooting cause an American team is in a tournament and they are all about the USA winning something. These people are easy to spot out, but I still try to convert them.

I've actually always been a fan of how the dutch play (also my best friend from childhood was dutch so I watched the dutch team with him and his dad), so once Mexico is out I usually root for them during any World Cup I've ever watched. So I do root for more than one team, but first and foremost I root for Mexico. And again, I am not rooting against USA, I am just not rooting for them. I'm neutral, but I do enjoy seeing them win since they are CONCACAF

The only thing that's irritating is when people constantly give me crap for NOT supporting team USA just cause I live here. That's none of there business, or at least ask me why I root for who I root for instead of trying to look at me like I am disrespecting them. Especially when i know they don't really give two licks about the sport. It's really annoying when people try to tell you who you should identify with. I actually see some people in this thread making that same argument, that they think hispanics living in the USA should root for the USA, but my thing is...if you don't know the person or understand them, don't try and tell them how to feel or how to view things.
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sun 29 Jun 2014 - 9:51

I can empathise with the annoyance that comes from listening to people pretend to care about a topic (be it sport, club, field of study, whathaveyou), I truly can.

This thread has included a great deal of discussion though about the sport growing in the US and that just seems like a great opportunity to take the initiative and help it grow yourself.

I'm glad to hear you have made efforts to do so. It's what's needed to truly help footy grow in the US.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sun 29 Jun 2014 - 11:15

windkick wrote:The only thing that's irritating is when people constantly give me crap for NOT supporting team USA just cause I live here. That's none of there business, or at least ask me why I root for who I root for instead of trying to look at me like I am disrespecting them. Especially when i know they don't really give two licks about the sport. It's really annoying when people try to tell you who you should identify with. I actually see some people in this thread making that same argument, that they think hispanics living in the USA should root for the USA, but my thing is...if you don't know the person or understand them, don't try and tell them how to feel or how to view things.

I have Portuguese and Greek neighbours, and I would find it more weird if they'd support only Germany than if they'd support their home countries. On the other hand, if they get kicked out of the World Cup, they have to live with some banter, though Very Happy

I guess the problem is that your colleagues normally support sports where the US practically have no competition and thus the question of supporting some other countries doesn't come up. Maybe they have to learn that in a global sport, there are other other countries involved and that those other countries have rightful supporters, too?
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Sun 29 Jun 2014 - 17:46

I think it's more of a, I can't fathom how you wouldn't support the USA since you are living here, type of mentality. Which is really weird, cause I can always retaliate with the, your not even a soccer fan yet your giving me shit for what soccer team I am supporting? So it's really not a sport thing with them, more so them being offended that I am not putting the country I am living in first and foremost. They kinda give me this whole, this is where you live, the country that you work in and you make your money bla bla.
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BartFargo Mon 30 Jun 2014 - 4:34

windkick wrote:I think it's more of a, I can't fathom how you wouldn't support the USA since you are living here, type of mentality.

I have a few soccer t-shirts, USA, Mexico, France, Brazil, Argentina. I occasionally get dirty looks and smirks when I wear my Mexico t-shirt, which is bright green with "MEXICO" in large letters. No one has ever said anything to me yet . . . .

BartFargo
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon 30 Jun 2014 - 4:39

My boss is an American of German descent. On the day of the Germany-USA match he wore a German kit to work Laughing

(Said he was in the tournament for the long haul).
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Mon 30 Jun 2014 - 7:56

lmao nice Smile

Good for him
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Mon 30 Jun 2014 - 8:19

I went to New York last week to visit some friends and the odd thing i found was a lot more foreign jerseys on rather then USA shirts..

so many people who were for the most part raised in usa still rather support their parents nation rather then the one they have grown up in their whole life.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by httredskins47 Mon 30 Jun 2014 - 9:09

Fifa is quite popular in America, I would say that's were most of this current college generation gets their foot in the door.

httredskins47
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon 30 Jun 2014 - 9:48

Donuts wrote:so many people who were for the most part raised in usa still rather support their parents nation rather then the one they have grown up in their whole life.
Well, you are lucky that's valid for the numerous German-Americans in the US squad, too Razz
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Sun 6 Jul 2014 - 18:32

Oh the early days of MLS Laughing ... How l love you. Some of the things our league did back then.. Just. Mindbogglingly amazing.

Penalty kicks? Too unamerican... No we need something different...SHOOTOUTS!!!

VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun 6 Jul 2014 - 18:39

what is this?!?! Shocked rofl
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by BartFargo Sun 6 Jul 2014 - 18:56

VendettaRed07 wrote:Oh the early days of MLS Laughing ... How l love you. Some of the things our league did back then.. Just. Mindbogglingly amazing.

Amazingly awful! I'm surprised the powers-that-be didn't make the goal wider and taller. After all, that's what most Americans complain about soccer: the low scoring.

BartFargo
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun 6 Jul 2014 - 20:17

I've got a philosophical-orthographical question for you:

Since you're supposed to write 'American' with a capital 'A', doesn't it then follow one should capitalise 'Unamerican' too? hmm
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sun 6 Jul 2014 - 20:22

Try unAmerican :coffee:
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon 7 Jul 2014 - 0:47

LOL Vendetta....totally forgot about that...it was a farce. Very pleased MLS did away with that....shootouts only work in hockey ffs.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by BartFargo Mon 7 Jul 2014 - 1:08

From wiki:

MLS also used a countdown clock and halves ended when the clock reached 0:00. MLS realized that the rule changes had alienated some traditional soccer fans while failing to draw new American sports fans, and the shootout and countdown clock were eliminated after the 1999 season.

BartFargo
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Mon 7 Jul 2014 - 7:13

Good question hans. Think RWO is basically right, though l think there is supposed to be a dash

un-American?.. Not too sure Razz

Yeah same lol.. l mean.. Just look at how ridiculous that looks... lmagine now that the finals and playoffs are nationally televised (and the networks are paying pretty decent money for them now) lf we had a game that was decided by something as insane as that.. like.. what would some of the international players that we have brought in now react? We'd never sign any self respecting footballer.

People saying we haven't made enough progress.. We weren't even playing the same friggin' sport just 15 years ago  rofl 
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Tue 8 Jul 2014 - 6:34

VendettaRed07 wrote:Oh the early days of MLS Laughing ... How l love you. Some of the things our league did back then.. Just. Mindbogglingly amazing.

That is so weird.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

'Muricans - Page 5 Empty People in this country can really make me angry. . .

Post by BartFargo Tue 15 Jul 2014 - 3:48

Last night I watched the MLS game (on TV) with the Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers playing before a crowd of 64K and I thought that the USA is on the right track.  But then this morning I read my local morning newspaper (Tucson Daily Star) and here is one of the main editorials titled "Seeking sports kicks? Far better options than soccer"  by Andrew G. Biggs.  WTF is wrong with these people?

http://tucson.com/ap/commentary/seeking-sports-kicks-far-better-options-than-soccer/article_6aa631fb-7673-5b1e-a287-4a6d9c3125ea.html

Soccer is easy to mock. In what other sport can we compile a scorecard of the number of ersatz “injuries” or the time the supposedly injured players spent writhing on the ground.

Or in which “injured” players are regularly carried off on stretchers — when’s the last time you saw that in any American sport? — only to return to the game seconds later.

But I am not here to mock. I’ve tried to like soccer. It seemed like the open-minded thing to do.

Let me set the stage: it is the summer of 1994 and I am a graduate student living in London. Each summer, the dormitory in which I lived had an influx of Italian students who, in a gratifying example of international outreach, insisted that I watch the World Cup with them.

I did so, game in and game out, as an ambassador of sportsmanship and good will. And, to the joy of my newfound compatriots, Italy progressed all the way to the final against mighty Brazil.

And so we watched what I was told would be the pinnacle of sporting endeavor. For 90 minutes we watched. And no one scored. We watched through extra time. And still no one scored.

At last the game was settled through a shootout, in which the goalie guesses at which side of the goal the opposing player will kick the ball and dives in that general direction. Italy’s goalie guessed wrong and Brazil walked off the World Cup champions. A coin flip might have been slightly less dramatic, but the effect was pretty much the same.

This helps explain why soccer may be the world’s sport, but not yet America’s. I don’t begrudge my foreign friends’ love of soccer. And I am honest enough to admit that baseball is pretty dull.

But while soccer is a fine game, American football and basketball are a battle, based on deception, initiative and the repeated attack on the opponent’s weaknesses.

When a football or basketball coach isolates a gap in the opposing team’s strategy or a mismatch of players, he will exploit that weakness again and again. And his team will score points a result.

The level of teamwork and coordination demanded of athletes, and strategic thinking of coaches, is simply far higher in American sports. And a strategic error by coaches or a substantial playing mistake by athletes on the field will almost always cost that team on the scoreboard.

Sure, a basketball or American football game can be decided by a lucky play or a bad call, if it’s very close. But the relative ease by which teams can score in the most popular U.S. sports makes it very unlikely that the better team will lose the game. Not so in soccer, which is replete with fine plays that go unrewarded and terrible errors that go unpunished.

Or simply consider basic statistics such as time of possession, which measures which team controls the ball throughout the game.

Controlling the ball is a basic measure of a team’s dominance, and in American football the team that wins the battle for ball control wins the game around two-thirds of the time. In soccer, by contrast, time of possession appears to be unrelated to victory. American sports are famously buried in statistics, but all these stats are meaningful in understanding who won and why.

At the end of the day, sports are entertainment — not a matter of life or death, unless you’re the Colombian defender who was murdered after scoring an own-goal in that same 1994 World Cup by deflecting a U.S. shot past his own goalie. He would have been 47 this year.

If millions of people want to watch a bunch of men kick a ball around for 90-plus minutes only to end in a scoreless tie, that’s OK by me.

Andrew G. Biggs is a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, where he concentrates on Social Security and pension reform.

BartFargo
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Juveman17 Tue 15 Jul 2014 - 4:10

That article is smeared with pure ignorance all over. Utterly ridiculous.

Also the heartless asshole decided to bring up the Colombian goalie who got murdered. What a jerk.
Juveman17
Juveman17
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

https://www.youtube.com/user/juveman176

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Tue 15 Jul 2014 - 5:24

People trash what they fear.

The sport is growing in the USA, and some ignorants don't like it.
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Tue 15 Jul 2014 - 6:46

Yeah.. maybe keep concentrating on Social Security and pension reform, Mr Biggs.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue 15 Jul 2014 - 9:24

Looks like that guy got inspired by that weird lady that was quoted some posts before... Maybe he thought that way he'd get more reactions and stuff, thus selling more papers? *smh*
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by BartFargo Tue 15 Jul 2014 - 16:19

Just curious, do other countries have journalists that take swipes at soccer (football)? Or is this just us here in the US that have to suffer these mean-spirited fools?

BartFargo
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum