rwo power
Collblanc
Hapless_Hans
futbol
BartFargo
19 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Some newbie questions . . .  - Page 4 Empty Re: Some newbie questions . . .

Post by rwo power Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:10 pm

By the way, if I remember correctly, Brazilian goalkeeper Rogério Ceni wanted to get the Nr.10 on his jersey, but he was told he had to use the Nr.1 - and so he decided to put the 0 in front of the 1 and always wore the kit number 01 (hence his abbreviation as RC01). And if you ask why he wanted the Nr.10 - this amazing goalie managed to score 117 goals in his career. :bow:

Some newbie questions . . .  - Page 4 0110

Spoiler:

rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by BartFargo Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:19 pm

rwo power wrote:By the way, if I remember correctly, Brazilian goalkeeper Rogério Ceni wanted to get the Nr.10 on his jersey, but he was told he had to use the Nr.1 - and so he decided to put the 0 in front of the 1 and always wore the kit number 01 (hence his abbreviation as RC01). And if you ask why he wanted the Nr.10 - this amazing goalie managed to score 117 goals in his career. :bow:

That is amazing. And from penalties and free kicks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rog%C3%A9rio_Ceni

BartFargo
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:20 pm

:bow:

Neuer needs to start taking free-kicks hmm
If anyone can do it, he can, plus maybe add a scorpion kick clearance now and then
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by BartFargo Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:10 pm

An interesting statistic . . . how far the goalie runs during a game . . . amazingly it can be up to 5 km during a 90 min match.

An interesting stat about how far the average American football player runs in a game:

American Football is the most interesting of all the sports regarding the average distance run during a typical game. The stat shown in the image at the top of 1.9km (1.2miles) is for a typical wide reciever. Were you to show the average stat for an offensive or defensive line the distances covered would be negligable. Indeed a recent bbc sport infographic estimated that if you were to include all of the defensive and offensive line players in the calculation of the average distance covered, the value would be somewhere around 0.32km (0.2 miles). This is a remarkable stat for a match that lasts an hour (of real live play), often taking up to 3 hours to complete an entire match due to the number of stoppages and time outs during American Football. Interestingly, defensive and attacking line players actually run significantly more during these stoppages and time outs when running onto and off the pitch than they do during actual live play.
http://tribesports.com/blog/the-average-distance-run-in-different-sports

BartFargo
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:15 am

BartFargo wrote:An interesting statistic . . . how far the goalie runs during a game . . . amazingly it can be up to 5 km during a 90 min match.
I bet in today's match against Algeria, Manuel Neuer ran a bit more than "only" 5km XD (Pity FIFA.com doesn't seem to have any stats available yet)
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:41 am

RedOranje wrote:Michael Bradley has been averaging about 13km/match in the WC so far. He covered a greater distance than any other player during the group stages (will try to find the exact figure in a bit).

Bradley ranks No. 1 of all the players in the World Cup with 38 kilometers covered in the USMNT’s three games so far in the tournament (that’s 23.6 miles for the metric challenged among us). Chile’s Marcelo Diaz comes in at No. 2 (36.7) and Russia’s Victor Fayzulin (35.Cool is third [before the KO rounds].

http://www.mlssoccer.com/worldcup/2014/news/article/2014/06/27/world-cup-usmnt-midfielder-michael-bradley-ranks-no-1-ground-covered-through

RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by BartFargo Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:47 am

You know, it's one thing to jog 8 miles. It's quite another to do wind-sprints for 8 miles while jumping, spinning, kicking, falling, fighting, crashing into other players.  :bow: 

BartFargo
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Some newbie questions . . .  - Page 4 Empty FIFA?

Post by BartFargo Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:54 pm

FIFA? 

It was alluded to that FIFA is an organization to be despised.  Is this from just one or two major screw-ups?  Or is it an on-going continual mismanagement of things?  Arrogance? Hopefully, it isn't greed and thievery . . . .

BartFargo
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:59 pm

Yeah. All of the above.

It's a huge global sports federation. Lots of money involved, lots of officials, lots of deals. Like the IOC, being corrupt is kind of their raison d'être.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BartFargo Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:05 pm

So, I guess apologizing for mistakes in officiating is not in their "code of conduct".  Mad 

BartFargo
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:15 pm

of course not, but that part is not even such a problem.

Referee mistakes are part of the game (and that added time thing was NOT a referee mistake btw, everything regular).

Much worse is their overall villainy, greed and corruption as a global organization.

A main point for example is always the location of the tounament and the selection procedure, contracts surrounding the tournaments etc.

You might want to watch this video that was posted the other day for a taste of the matter
http://www.goallegacy.net/t35885-john-oliver-on-the-wc#1224925

Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BartFargo Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:43 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:
You might want to watch this video that was posted the other day for a taste of the matter
Wow.  That's an eye opener.  I like that John Oliver.  I searched and found he is on HBO every Sunday evening -- I will have to start watching him.

I can't believe they made those poor WC fans drink Budweiser -- that's almost the worst beer in the world. (Other American beers are worse, believe it or not.)

BartFargo
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:01 pm

Yes he used to be one of the guys on Jon Stewart's Daily Show and now got his own show.
Didn't come to watching more of it yet though.

As for the Budweiser, I actually thought they weren't even allowed to call it that anymore, as the original Budweiser brewery (great beer) from Czech Republic won a case against them?
I thought they had to call it just 'Bud' now lol
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by BartFargo Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:19 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:
A main point for example is always the location of the tounament and the selection procedure, contracts surrounding the tournaments etc.

The 2022 WC will be in Qatar where they noted that temps can reach 50 degrees C (122 degrees F)!  Shocked 

BartFargo
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:34 pm

BartFargo wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:

The 2022 WC will be in Qatar where they noted that temps can reach 50 degrees C (122 degrees F)!   Shocked 

Not to mention that FIFA officials were almost certainly bribed to make the decision to hold the WC in Qatar and to overlook problems like the heat (and the use of slave labour to construct stadiums).
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by BartFargo Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:48 pm

You've convinced me: FIFA is evil.  Twisted Evil 

BartFargo
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Some newbie questions . . .  - Page 4 Empty Kits?

Post by BartFargo Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:27 pm

Does the "home" team get to choose which jersey (kit)? they want to wear? How is "home team" decided in tournaments like the WC?

BartFargo
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:21 pm

Yes, the "home" team decides on the jersey, and in a WC it is randomly drawn. Not sure at which stage it is determind, maybe someone else can help. I'm atm too lazy to look it up - there's Germany playing. ^^ Oh, and the "home" team also gets the "home" changing room.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by BartFargo Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:39 am

Thanks for the response.

While I believe that the Netherlands deserved to win against Costa Rica, I was somewhat appalled at the behavior of the Dutch goalie Tim Krul's behavior during the PSO -- his talking the opposing team's strikers. Is this just my naivete? It just seemed rude to me. I know, rudeness exists everywhere nowadays, but . . . ???

BartFargo
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:43 am

Well, trash talk to the strikers is normal for goalies. There are some which have even wilder antics. And why rude? The strikers do their best to distract the goalies, too, by slowing down their run etc. As long as the ref doesn't complain, everything is fine.

By the way, my avatar shows my favourite Swiss goalie daring a striker to shoot a penalty at him. And guess what? The striker failed by a large margin. Mission accomplished XD
Spoiler:
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:52 am

BartFargo wrote:Thanks for the response.

While I believe that the Netherlands deserved to win against Costa Rica, I was somewhat appalled at the behavior of the Dutch goalie Tim Krul's behavior during the PSO -- his talking the opposing team's strikers. Is this just my naivete? It just seemed rude to me. I know, rudeness exists everywhere nowadays, but . . . ???
Penalties are very psychological. Gotta use every weapon at your disposal.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by BartFargo Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:02 am

rwo power wrote:Well, trash talk to the strikers is normal for goalies. There are some which have even wilder antics. And why rude? The strikers do their best to distract the goalies, too, by slowing down their run etc. As long as the ref doesn't complain, everything is fine.

OK, thanks. Your response reminds me of another question I have about strikers during a PSO (or other penalty kicks). It seems unfair for the striker to hesitate or stutter-step in the middle of his run in an attempt to draw the goalie into committing to one side or the other. Seems unfair to me.

BartFargo
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by BartFargo Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:02 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
BartFargo wrote:Thanks for the response.

Penalties are very psychological. Gotta use every weapon at your disposal.

Yes, I see. Thanks.

BartFargo
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:14 am

@BartFargo

As mentioned before - penalties are a clash of mental fortitude between strikers and goalies, and each side does their best to distract the other side. As long as the referee doesn't object, everything is fine.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by BartFargo Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:51 pm

There don't seem to be many newbies here on this forum but if there are, please join in and ask questions -- like I've been doing. If you like you can, of course, post questions in this thread too.

BartFargo
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNYC Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:27 pm

I have a question. It's not really about rules or tactics but about supporting certain teams. . .

I'm from New York and football, although its played a lot, is not exactly a sport that people usually grow up with unless their parents are immigrants or something. For example, I grew up as an American Football fan and was born in NY and my parents rooted for the New York Jets so therefore I did. The natural response would seem to be to support the New York Red Bulls but I hate that the team is named after the energy drink and besides they don't even play in NY but New Jersey.

So I wanted to know if someone could give me advice on teams or leagues to follow. My great-grandpa is from Scotland and supported the Celtics in the SPL, but I'm not too keen on the sectarian aspect of it. My buddy, who got me into the sport, supports Chelsea in the EPL. I really have no clue. Maybe this seems silly to people on here, but I want to be careful about what club I support.

TL;DR: What team or league should I follow/support?

KevinNYC
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next