Great Leader Sprucenuce
Kick
Abramovich
farfan
Dnmac4
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How Good/Bad is the EPL THIS YEAR? Empty How Good/Bad is the EPL THIS YEAR?

Post by Dnmac4 Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:14 am

The EPL is always one of the top 2 leagues in Europe over the last 15 years or so and a lot of the times it's been the best league.

How good is it this year?  Can EPL fans look at there league objectively like La Liga and Serie A fans have had to do over the past decade with the numerous issues they have had?

Is there a team worth a damn other than Chelsea in the league?

Would any team outside of Chelsea be able to Finish 3rd in La Liga or 2nd in Serie A?  How about France, could any team challenge for the French league title outside of Chelsea?

These are honest questions and not flaming because of the pathetic showing in the CL this week.  If you look back I have a thread asking how big of a pounding are Chelsea going to put on the EPL this year?

With all the money spent, did any of the teams again outside of Chelsea actually get any better this year?

For pure entertainment and branding the EPL is second to none.  But how good is the league this year?
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

How Good/Bad is the EPL THIS YEAR? Empty Re: How Good/Bad is the EPL THIS YEAR?

Post by farfan Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:18 am

are you this obsessed with bashing the EPL ?

one thread about how chelsea is gonna walk the EPL this season and the rest of the league is garbage wasn''t enough ?
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:56 am

farfan wrote:are you this obsessed with bashing the EPL ?

one thread about how chelsea is gonna walk the EPL this season and the rest of the league is garbage wasn''t enough ?

How is this a bashing thread?

I am asking how good the league is, I am generally interested what EPL and other fans think?

This is a football discussion board you know and since the majority of the posters on this board watch primarily he EPL  and only watch leagues outside of the EPL when the Champions League comes on I would like there feedback.

I'm interested were you on a crusade to stop EPL fans from bashing La Liga or the Serie A?  

Because that happened on here pretty frequently over the past 5 years or so.  These leagues took hits from every angle from EPL fans like teams laying down for Madrid/Barca, the debt the teams are in, the lack of spending in La Liga and Italy, the scandals in Italy, the lack of sharing TV money, the gap between 1st and 3rd place, the problems marketing the game around the world like the EPL does etc etc.

These are all things discussed on this board with out you trying to police the website.  Who is the one with the agenda here?

And what does a discussion on how much Chelsea is going to win the EPL by have to do with how good is the EPL compared to other leagues?

There two totally different topics.

Was there anything malicious in the post?  Hurtful or condescending?

Why are your panties in a bunch?
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:14 am

yawn .

there is this  recurring theme  of " lol EPL fans "  " lol EPL sucks "  in the majority of  your posts  , it's getting tired .

seems like everytime the EPL gives us a lackluster week of football or english teams don't do well in the CL , you're quick to congratulate yourself , take a dig at EPL fans ,  and then proceed to bore everybody to death with some long obnoxious essay about the ills  of english football .

yawn , yawn ...
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:44 am

Good lad farfan exposing dnmads not so hidden agenda. Send this to the right back thread where it belongs.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:01 am

Quit the thread derailing, guys.

Some of those questions are completely fine.

Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:13 am

Why do people feel the need to directly correlate European results to league strength?

For starters the teams involved are a very small percentage of the overall league and secondly Europe is completely different to the national championship.

Not only is the format drastically different, style of play different but it just a different game entirely.

European results mean nothing and I say that for every league and always have even when PL was on top.

But if it makes you feel better......
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:58 am

Any further off topic posts will be deleted.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:03 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Why do people feel the need to directly correlate European results to league strength?

For starters the teams involved are a very small percentage of the overall league and secondly Europe is completely different to the national championship.

Not only is the format drastically different, style of play different but it just a different game entirely.

European results mean nothing and I say that for every league and always have even when PL was on top.

But if it makes you feel better......

Again, it's not just Europe.  If you could answer any of the questions that would be cool.  I actually said this really has nothing to do with Europe.

Domestically you have Southampton in second place 5 points clear of Arsenal who are not playing well in 4th and City in 3nd who seem all out of sorts and can only beat EPL teams.

Man United has been a dumpster fire, Liverpool looks a shell of themselves, Everton looks nowhere close to the form they were in last year.

Spurs have 14 points from 10 games and a negative goal differential.

The bottom 4-5 teams look absolutely awful.

So no, this really has nothing to do with Europe and again the EPL spent a lot of money in the window to get better so why does it seem everyone is out of sorts outside of Chelsea?

And then the actual question if we could get through all the hurt feelings and defensiveness is how good is this league this year?

I don't think it's a very hard question to have an opinion on?  I'm sure you must?

Or is saying anything other than the EPL is the best league in the world a subject beyond reproach on this board?  Are people that stuck up and hard headed?
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:30 am

Actually it is BSkyB who say "EPL is the best league of the world", IIRC (they want to sell their product and that claim is a good incentive). In fact it is the best marketed league of the world for sure.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:27 am

its a matter of taste; the whole "this league is better than that league" just depends on what you like watching or what you follow. its just that these days fanboys/cheerleaders use the argument to justify their best team's or best player's success or failures...."if player x played here he won't score x number of goals, if team y played here they won't make top 4 etc... the closest we have to measuring a league are uefacoefficients....1 or 2 seasons of less than stellar performances in the champs league isn't enough to judge a league imo
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:19 am

I think it's too early for a thread such as this, as for all we know, all four English sides might yet qualify and go on to make significant contributions in the Champions League. It's looking unlikely at this stage but nothing is set.

I don't think it's a particularly telling question to ask whether certain teams would finish second or third in particular leagues. We've seen squads such as City and Juventus, which are extremely well adapted to their opposition in their respective leagues struggle in Europe due to their limited flexibility. It's also worth noting, as Mole pointed out, that the very structure of such tournaments is fundamentally different and reflects different strengths. Group stages and knockout legs don't test the depth and endurance of a side like a long league race can. We've seen lots of sides in the past that were able to fire themselves up for cup ties but have been poor in the league where they were asked to turn up week after week and play the small fish.

I also think that it's difficult to judge the strength of several of the traditional 'top' sides within each league at the moment as they are going through quite legitimate transition phases. Madrid won the Champions League last season and yet were struggling to find their balance and consistency up until November. Before then they looked far from ready to challenge the very top sides after some poor showings in big matches. Similarly, sides like United and Liverpool who underwent significant squad turnover and who are also dealing with injuries need further time to truly judge. Arsenal also have injuries but frankly they're in a constant injury crisis so it's difficult to even talk about a time when everyone is fit to judge them properly. Laughing We'll not know whether they have gotten 'better' this year for a few months yet and really we'll see their mettle tested in the last months of the season as always.

Also I'll make the same comment as in the Yaya thread that CSKA are not a poor team and evaluations shouldn't be made simply on European results. CSLA were made to look extremely poor in the first game but since then they've shown far more discipline and moved the ball extremely well today on the counter attack. As poor as City were they definitely deserve credit. I do understand the greater point that you wouldn't back many English sides against Bayern - or Dortmund I'd argue - or the Liga trio at the moment but views on these hypothetical ties are constantly changing in any case.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Be/\/ceCALI Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:38 am

Dnmac4 wrote:
How good is it this year?

How Good/Bad is the EPL THIS YEAR? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfOm62JvaMDeQxcupe4BmqMaP7oiyFRsh1l6IOSPqqQDlJzzfgTg

Dnmac4 wrote:Can EPL fans look at there league objectively like La Liga and Serie A fans have had to do over the past decade with the numerous issues they have had?

How Good/Bad is the EPL THIS YEAR? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT573phK3Xe3QIjhUNTgiW9etGW4iw5SxtCRfcdSHP3fdn4qNdc

Dnmac4 wrote:Is there a team worth a damn other than Chelsea in the league?

How Good/Bad is the EPL THIS YEAR? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsiCEbeMqOckD5ZwL7IoVkyJVBCBhih6rCic3B7TEbfdS-Kou3

Dnmac4 wrote:Would any team outside of Chelsea be able to Finish 3rd in La Liga or 2nd in Serie A?

How Good/Bad is the EPL THIS YEAR? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJabYyP4M2uWwuEINz0HHAnsBQ2XHDLU8LzX0G7az8_uRz02Fr

Dnmac4 wrote:How about France, could any team challenge for the French league title outside of Chelsea?

How Good/Bad is the EPL THIS YEAR? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQP4eHPyoJy5as9rcZ84SD-gcdl9b1dEXb3fL0glNnoeqsDlrK

Dnmac4 wrote:With all the money spent, did any of the teams again outside of Chelsea actually get any better this year?

How Good/Bad is the EPL THIS YEAR? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgLtiLf4BikveY8lxKqp9DsokMsQjpX5YhxJoBopNCE5BESRISdg

Dnmac4 wrote:But how good is the league this year?

How Good/Bad is the EPL THIS YEAR? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyBX-DSCsWm6pR_WGxfZaTSMrEp4CdgrXSNNIwOPak61BG2Mmr
Be/\/ceCALI
Be/\/ceCALI
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:30 am

BEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD!!!
Laughing
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by LeVersacci Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:47 am

BeceCali lmfao
LeVersacci
LeVersacci
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Insoucious Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:48 pm

Be/\/ceCALI deserves an award for the best reply ever.

How Good/Bad is the EPL THIS YEAR? WindowsLiveWriter-PitchUniversityBestCommentAwardFebruary2_13822-?fileId=11072340
Insoucious
Insoucious
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:29 pm

Agreed with Be/\/ceCALI
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:49 pm

dostoevsky wrote:I think it's too early for a thread such as this, as for all we know, all four English sides might yet qualify and go on to make significant contributions in the Champions League. It's looking unlikely at this stage but nothing is set.

I don't think it's a particularly telling question to ask whether certain teams would finish second or third in particular leagues. We've seen squads such as City and Juventus, which are extremely well adapted to their opposition in their respective leagues struggle in Europe due to their limited flexibility. It's also worth noting, as Mole pointed out, that the very structure of such tournaments is fundamentally different and reflects different strengths. Group stages and knockout legs don't test the depth and endurance of a side like a long league race can. We've seen lots of sides in the past that were able to fire themselves up for cup ties but have been poor in the league where they were asked to turn up week after week and play the small fish.

I also think that it's difficult to judge the strength of several of the traditional 'top' sides within each league at the moment as they are going through quite legitimate transition phases. Madrid won the Champions League last season and yet were struggling to find their balance and consistency up until November. Before then they looked far from ready to challenge the very top sides after some poor showings in big matches. Similarly, sides like United and Liverpool who underwent significant squad turnover and who are also dealing with injuries need further time to truly judge. Arsenal also have injuries but frankly they're in a constant injury crisis so it's difficult to even talk about a time when everyone is fit to judge them properly. Laughing We'll not know whether they have gotten 'better' this year for a few months yet and really we'll see their mettle tested in the last months of the season as always.

Also I'll make the same comment as in the Yaya thread that CSKA are not a poor team and evaluations shouldn't be made simply on European results. CSLA were made to look extremely poor in the first game but since then they've shown far more discipline and moved the ball extremely well today on the counter attack. As poor as City were they definitely deserve credit. I do understand the greater point that you wouldn't back many English sides against Bayern - or Dortmund I'd argue - or the Liga trio at the moment but views on these hypothetical ties are constantly changing in any case.

Again, I'm not making the judgement on European results.  I don't really factor in the structure of the tournament because A. Everyone has to deal with that B. EPL teams generally do well in the Champions League and they are chalk full of players used to the format and C.  In league the traditional teams have been flat out below expectations.

I don't think you can call Madrid's 2 week hiccup the same as Liverpool, United, Spurs, City, Arsenal's issues this year.  Madrid have certainly not been below expectations this year.

I mean Madrid is absolutely flying against all comers right now, I don't think anyone would be surprised if the put a 5-0 beating on any team in the world right now.

Also, what are these massive changes you're saying all these teams are having to deal with this year in the EPL?

1)Chelsea has Mou in year 2 which is generally his "miracle year" plus they got a lot better.

2)United got a better coach and a boatload of talent in the market.  Sure there's some settling in time but they have much better players and coach's than they did last year.

3)Arsenal has basically the same team as last year and just added some defensive depth and a close to world class striker.

4)Liverpool lost one player and basically have the same team as last year with added depth.  Yes the player they lost was world class, but they played well without him last year.

5)City basically has the same team as last year.

6)Spurs team again is very similar to last years team and they have supposedly a better coach.

7)Everton have a very similar team to last year and they locked up there star striker.

I mean managers come and go in the EPL all the time.  I think at one point last year Pardew was the longest serving manager in the league.

Again, in Italy, Spain, France, Germany they have to deal with losing there best player ALL THE TIME and massive changing of head coaches.

Hell, Dortmond lose there best player pretty much every year and the same goes for most of the Spanish and Italian teams.  

It's not like the EPL is faced with some crazy situation this year, there is actually a lot of continuity this year and teams spending a lot of money to get better.

I know it's hard to say X team would finish in this spot in a different league but if you watch and listen to the EPL games on TV and there fans they say the league is the most competitive/best in the world.

I mean it's hard to get any of the fans on here to say another league is better than the EPL.

One would have to argue that it's only competitive THIS YEAR because the teams really are not elite and kind of even in there mediocrity. Even the bottom 3-4 teams look really bad where as in past EPL years these teams were actually pretty decent.

So again it's not just Europe and I really don't know what issues these EPL teams are facing that teams in other leagues don't face on a yearly basis. I mean Atletico have to sell there best striker pretty much every year, same with Dortmund etc etc These teams would kill to have the budget some of these EPL teams have to fix there issues.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:22 pm

I'm not going to quote your whole post, but I will go into a few things.

1) Southampton just legitimately has a good team. The pieces they lost from last year were replaced with players that were as good or better (Pelle >> Lambert, Tadic => Lallana, Clyne > Chambers, etc.) and on top of that you have some of their players getting older and better like Wanyama, Schneiderlin, Prowse and then on top of it all they added Alderweireld who is good and some more depth.

2) Other teams than Southampton have also gotten better. Don't just look at Newcastle's start because they legitimately have a strong team that can give any team in the EPL a hard game if managed correctly as can be seen with their recent wins over City and Liverpool. There's a bunch of talent on that team that just needs direction.

3) Liverpool is going to be taking some time to mesh. I fully believe this is transitory because if you even look so far this year they've already had at least 10 players start a game that were not part of the team at all (or not much) last season, and on top of it they lost a combined 50 goals and a bunch of assists in Suarez + Sturridge (injured). United is going through similar growing pains though I just think their defence is crap in general so they need more than just time like Liverpool.

4) Everton overperformed a bit last year (IMO), Tottenham will find their legs but they don't really have any truly stand out players anyway that aren't still quite young. They will be better maybe a year or two from now I think. City is just getting older and relied heavily on a massive performance from Toure last year that he wouldn't be able to replicate again anyway. I also think they're desperately missing David Silva.

All in all I think it's still by far the most competitive of the top leagues in Europe (minus that Chelsea is in beast mode this season, and have a stacked team). I don't think as a whole that the level has gone down much but more that some of the middling teams from last season got better, and the top teams outside of Chelsea have stumbled out of a gate a bit either due to transition, injury or age.

Plus, even looking at European competition you still are likely to see Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool (iffy) in the knockout stages. I think more than just Liverpool, Arsenal and City would be competing for 2nd/3rd in other domestic leagues, and PSG isn't even in 1st place in the French league so that point is moot.

Things will level out as the season goes on.
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:26 pm

Its just this year due to variety of factors be it transitional, be it player moves. And if you are taking that part only, then what you(d mac) are saying is true. Theres been a dip but its only ephemeral. Things wont be the same next season or surely the one after that.

Chelz certainly are a level above because they did the groundwork last year, mounjo got that last season to get the players play his way, they got strengthened in the transfer window + their players are in form.

where as Pool lost their most influential player + their other influential player is struggling with injuries + their team is in somewhat transition. they got a whole new set of players for this season and its not yet gelled for them. So they clearly dipped from last season.

Ars, well they are ars as always and will continue to be that until their old man decides to leave. Nothing much changed perhaps. Last season they had a phenomenal early part of the campaign due to players form. This time though not so. But if we compare to last season one can probably say they declined. Injuries havent been kind to them too.

City well it was always going to come down to this. They have one of the most aged squads assembled and sooner or later their important players would face decline. So yea they have dipped as well.

And where as we, we have declined clearly as well. especially our back 4. and injuries didnt help either. we too like pool are in transition. Plus a new manager.

So all that actually helped chelz and they capitalized on their foes misfortunes. If chelz cant win the title this season which they will for sure. Still if they cant, then lol no excuses whatsoever.

p.s Not counting Soton in this rig right now as I believe they havent had their biggest tests yet as far as this season goes. Once they come out of those with minimum bruises, will take them into the consideration as well.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by terrance511 Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:52 pm

how long u guys usually prepare these posts?

terrance511
terrance511
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:08 pm

lol only after hitting send most of us realize the size of the post is that big i reckon.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:20 pm

I hear what you guys are saying but how are these issues different from the ones any other league has to face?

Injuries are no excuse.  Every team goes through them and the EPL is the biggest spending most funded league in the world.  Hell Barcelona have played the whole year with out Suarez, Madrid has played a lot of the season with out Bale.

Roma hasn't had Strootman all year long etc etc etc.

So again they are not facing some crazy challenge.  Liverpool replaced Sturridge with Balotelli, that should work or at least hold them over until he gets back.

Atletico and Dortmond face what Liverpool are facing almost every single year.  Roma have sold there best defender two years in a row, Milan are a fire sale, the same goes for pretty much all the Spanish teams.

United are a better team than they were last year.  There is no argument here.  There not in a transition phase they are 100% better.  Last year was a transition phase.  David Moyes coaching a bunch of players who shouldn't wear a United shirt.  That's transition, this year is progress.

Arsenal is not facing any adversity this year, in fact they bought one of the best attacking players in the world and he is on top form.

Southampton did the same thing last year and then dropped in the table.

Everton have the same team basically.

City do too.  A couple months on from last year's title winning side now there too old?

Again, I just don't see where these teams are facing anywhere near the issues teams in Spain, Italy, France or Germany face.  These teams have massive budgets to fix any issues, there not pulling kids up from the youth team, they go and buy an international class player.

The gulf in funding and ability to fix an issue is so much different/better for English teams than these other leagues that it seems like crying over spilled milk.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:36 pm

Van Gaal's first season at United, bro. That extends the transitional phase for Man U. That might end towards the end of the season if Van Gaal finds a way. Liverpool lost 6 points to an established RM who spend even more than Liverpool. Expected IMO. City still have Pellegrini. Nuff said. Wenger is too predictable. PL is certainly the best league in terms of quality but this year just as the last most top clubs are going through transition or whose end product is not enough.

Southampton are taking advantage of the turmoil to climb up there. Same as Sociedad did.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:11 pm

I'd rather say that Southhampton have dealt with their own turmoil in a astonishingly much better way than other teams have with their turmoil.
Cannot imagine a team more in 'transition' than Southhampton this summer lol.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next