Is Messi statpadding against scrub goalkeepers?

+13
El Gunner
FennecFox7
M99
Hapless_Hans
adamdar
VivaStPauli
BarrileteCosmico
RealGunner
Harmonica
junkyard
MaraVilla
rwo power
Katy Perry
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is Messi statpadding against scrub goalkeepers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Messi statpadding against scrub goalkeepers?

Post by rwo power Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:34 pm

Well, it always depends on what you are looking at. If you would look at save percentage in the league, then Neuer leads with an amazing number:

Is Messi statpadding against scrub goalkeepers? - Page 2 Ttt10

Picture stolen from http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2015/01/04/7626722/which-goalkeeper-has-the-best-save-record-in-europe-this (but they had the data from Opta, so it should be okay)

rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Is Messi statpadding against scrub goalkeepers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Messi statpadding against scrub goalkeepers?

Post by adamdar Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:48 pm

Ok i need help from Harmonica scratch
But i already said neuer is best keeper. I know you like him a lot. I dont argue who is the best keeper. My point is that the reason messi doesnt score against neuer is because defence doesnt allow him to reach neuer or chech

Last game messi scored from 1m distance vs Atletico madrid. It was because defence messed up and it was empty net for messi. Neuer being there would change nothing.
first its defense.then goalkeeper

adamdar
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:53 pm

I think we don't need to argue adam, we all agree Messi is NOT merely 'statpadding against scrub goalkeepers'.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:54 pm

Well, the funny thing is that people claim Bayern's defense isn't world class and they usually think that Jérôme Boateng is a scrub. So they someow can't make up their mind whether it is that Manuel Neuer is just so good or whether it is Bayern's defense. Or maybe both are just great. Very Happy

(And by the way, I like Yann Sommer more than Manuel Neuer, but I think Manuel Neuer is just the best keeper. ^^)

Last edited by rwo power on Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:58 pm

That being said, and in line with adam, of course the reason Messi didn't score against Bayern 2013, Germany 2010 or 2014 is NOT that he only can score against weak goalkeepers, but various completely Neuer-unrelated things.

The OP is not really debate worthy at all tbh.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:04 pm

Someone should rank the top 10 keepers in the world and find how many goals/games messi has against them. Not harmonica though because he will do his black magic on the numbers.
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by adamdar Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:07 pm

Happless-Hans i know that Smile And i know that rwo power also knows that. The reason he joined was because he read neuer's name in discussion Very Happy

adamdar
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:07 pm

DuringTheWar wrote:Someone should rank the top 10 keepers in the world and find how many goals/games messi has against them. Not harmonica though because he will do his black magic on the numbers.

I don't think that would be very meaningful, due to varying numbers of games played.
Also, the top goalkeepers play for top teams, that it's harder to score against them than against weaker teams and weaker goalkeepers is not really a mindblowing thing, whether for Messi or for Lord Bendtner.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:08 pm

adamdar wrote:Happless-Hans i know that Smile And i know that rwo power also knows that. The reason he joined was because he read neuer's name in discussion Very Happy

RWO is a she, and we both just joined the thread to nitpick your Neuer stats, sorry about that Smile
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:12 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:I think we don't need to argue adam, we all agree Messi is NOT merely 'statpadding against scrub goalkeepers'.

Exactly. If anything he's statpadding against scrub defenses, and in a sense, all forwards are doing that.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:17 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:I think we don't need to argue adam, we all agree Messi is NOT merely 'statpadding against scrub goalkeepers'.

Exactly. If anything he's statpadding against scrub defenses, and in a sense, all forwards are doing that.

Exactly. That's why this statpadding line of attack is so nonsensical, most of the time.
Spoiler:
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Katy Perry Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:29 pm

Well, it's obvious that it's harder to score against stronger opposition and defenses, but how is it possible that the supposed best goalscorer ever playing for one of the best teams of all time and one of the best NTs recording a 20+ consecutive games without scoring against the best goalkeepers he faced in his career and getting intimidated by them as he misses the same chances, the same 1on1s, the same penalties that he scores against scrub goalkeepers? (I didn't count Casillas as I don't rate him in the same bracket as the best four goalkeepers Messi has faced, but even if you do, that's still 4 against one. Don't feel I need to explain the lack of a mention for 50 years old at his last game Van der Sar's blunder)
Katy Perry
Katy Perry
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:59 am

Messi was absolutely magical against manchester united. Stop bsing
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:23 am

I cannot tell if Katy Perry is either really dumb or just a bad troll hmm
im gonna believe troll.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by adamdar Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:29 am

Katy Pery :facepalm:
why you dont read comments

Also i dont know how Messi failed against Courtois when he has hat trick against him

adamdar
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:16 pm

^^ From what I understood he never scored against Courtois
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:41 pm

that video must be fake then, as well as all reports about the game
http://actas.rfef.es/actas/RFEF_CmpPartido?cod_primaria=1000144&CodActa=14803
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:43 pm

Aah the times before park the aeroplane, concentrate on Messi. Crying or Very sad
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:40 am

Whose second account is Katy Perry?
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:07 pm

fatman123 wrote:Whose second account is Katy Perry?

jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Katy Perry Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:45 pm

Lets not derail this thread, I'm no one's second account.
Katy Perry
Katy Perry
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2