RealGunner
Raptorgunner
Ali
boss
Fo'Shizzle_My_Nizzle~
Sri
10 posters

Go down

Our possible Champions League opponents Empty Our possible Champions League opponents

Post by Sri Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:51 am

I know we did this bit in the old forums but thought we could bring it up again, since arsenal.com did a cover on it and also, we have new members here (who'll get bored of the transfer rumours soon enough Razz ).. Here is the piece :
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Arsenal's fourth-place finish in the 2010/11 Premier League means they will enter this season's Champions League in the Play-Off Round.

Arsène Wenger's side must win a two-legged tie to take their place in the Group Stage.

The draw for the Play-Off Round is on August 5 and the matches will be played either side of the second weekend of the Premier League campaign - the first leg is scheduled for August 16 or 17 with the second leg on August 23 or 24.

It's also worth noting that the draw is 'open' so Arsenal could be home or away in the first leg.

Possible opponents
So who could Arsenal face in the Champions League Play-Off? This is where it gets more complicated.

There will be 20 teams in the Play-Off Round but they are split into two sections - champions and non-champions. As non-champions, Arsenal cannot face a side that won its domestic title in 2010/11. That list includes Dinamo Zagreb and Rangers, assuming they are still in the competition at that stage.

Arsenal's section of ten teams will feature:

The five winners from the non-champion section of the Third Qualifying Round:

Standard Liege (Belgium) v FC Zürich (Switzerland)
Benfica (Portugal) v Trabzonspor (Turkey)
Dynamo Kyiv (Ukraine) v Rubin Kazan (Russia)
Twente (Holland) v FC Timisoara (Romania)
Odense (Denmark) v Panathinaikos (Greece)

The remaining four teams in Arsenal's section come from:

The fourth placed team from Spain (Villarreal)
The fourth placed team from Italy (Udinese)
The third placed team from Germany (Bayern Munich)
The third placed team from France (Lyon)

Once the ten clubs are confirmed, the five with the highest UEFA coefficients are seeded and will be drawn to play one of the five clubs with the lowest UEFA coefficients.

Arsenal's coefficient is bettered only by Bayern Munich in the list of potential teams in the Play-Off Round so Wenger’s side would definitely be seeded.

As it stands, if all the seeded teams from the Third Qualifying Round advance to the Play-Off Round, Bayern, Arsenal, Lyon, Benfica and Villarreal would be seeded.

In that scenario, Arsenal’s potential Play-Off opponents would be Dynamo Kyiv, Udinese, Panathinaikos, Twente or Standard Liege.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Our possible Champions League opponents Empty Re: Our possible Champions League opponents

Post by Fo'Shizzle_My_Nizzle~ Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:54 am

Hope it will be Udinese.
Fo'Shizzle_My_Nizzle~
Fo'Shizzle_My_Nizzle~
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Our possible Champions League opponents Empty Re: Our possible Champions League opponents

Post by boss Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:00 am

I'd love to see ASN vs B.Munich ..it' would be very interesting i guess...!

boss
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:36 pm

well...we can draw against all of them ( potentially )

but we will DEFINITELY THRASH them at home. 4-1s
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:51 pm

I am not even worried about this, I just want new singing lol.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:04 pm

hope we get 2nd leg at home. Plus some team who is ranked 200000 in uefa ranking
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:07 pm

Yeah.. will need that before travelling to OT..

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:14 pm

need to avoid kiev
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:30 pm

need to avoid EVERY eastern european team

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KMD Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:05 am

boss wrote:I'd love to see ASN vs B.Munich ..it' would be very interesting i guess...!

that would be crazy, but fifa won't allow that!
KMD
KMD
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:45 am

That is too good a game for this stage.. Maybe in Quater Finals.. Smile

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by usman111 Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:10 am

i am really tired of facing barcelona for the past two season.. i would like arsenal to face milan, inter, bayern type teams \\
usman111
usman111
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:56 pm

Ild love to face Inter Milan. Its hilarious how criminally underrated ars....nay overrated Italian teams are in these forums in general. So any one of Inter, or Milan would do
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum