Gender Wage Gap in Football - Do "women ride on the coattails of men" in sport?

+6
Lucifer
Art Morte
dostoevsky
rwo power
BarrileteCosmico
Peccadillo
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Are women paid fairly in football?

Gender Wage Gap in Football - Do "women ride on the coattails of men" in sport? - Page 2 Vote_lcap67%Gender Wage Gap in Football - Do "women ride on the coattails of men" in sport? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 67% 
[ 8 ]
Gender Wage Gap in Football - Do "women ride on the coattails of men" in sport? - Page 2 Vote_lcap25%Gender Wage Gap in Football - Do "women ride on the coattails of men" in sport? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 3 ]
Gender Wage Gap in Football - Do "women ride on the coattails of men" in sport? - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%Gender Wage Gap in Football - Do "women ride on the coattails of men" in sport? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 12

Gender Wage Gap in Football - Do "women ride on the coattails of men" in sport? - Page 2 Empty Re: Gender Wage Gap in Football - Do "women ride on the coattails of men" in sport?

Post by CBarca Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:15 am

Art Morte wrote:What is this moderator war using the same avatars?

I haven't a clue of what you're talking about, Art.

CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Gender Wage Gap in Football - Do "women ride on the coattails of men" in sport? - Page 2 Empty Re: Gender Wage Gap in Football - Do "women ride on the coattails of men" in sport?

Post by Art Morte Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:49 am

You should ban yourself for being too funny.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:28 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:I'm talking about leagues, as for the NT I'm not sure how exactly they go about getting paid or what the contract there is, but if it is true that the women's team generated 20m more than the men's team then they should be paid a higher share. It was always my stance that it should be linked to their revenue generating capacity: "If the women's league and the men's league made equivalent sums then they should get paid the same", from here it clearly follows that if they out earn the men then they should make more.

I personally think it sends the wrong message if national associations do this, but I understand where you're coming from. It would be a perfectly reasonable principle to apply to leagues, but without the introduction of a salary cap it's difficult to actually envisage what this means when the links between league associations are fairly tenuous in many countries. In Australia, each A League side has a women's team but in many countries this isn't the case. It doesn't do much to talk about equal pay without any coherent vision of what this means in practice. At least on a national level though, base pay agreements can reflect that both sides are worthy of equal esteem.

Talking about club pay is just a way to distract attention away from what can be done. Obviously no one's going to be able to demand the same pay and individual like Ibrahimovic can, but that's only come up as an issue in this thread because the OP and the quotes in it drew up a ridiculous comparison between football and tennis.

dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by BORUSSIA!! Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:42 am

wow i was really hoping the day such a topic would not exist in football. the answer is obvious, you should get how much you make. that goes for all industries.

if the women in the US team are not getting paid fairly considering how much they make, then they have case. they should not compare themselves. they should not associate themselves with men's football which brings in a million times for revenue. women's and men's football aren't in the same pciture. it would be like a supermarket worker complaining they don't get paid as much as a doctor.

i hope football's governors never turn stupid and fail to understand the simply rules of supply and demand. we don't need the people who run football to turn into wimps like the ones who run tennis with all their silly gender equality crap.

BORUSSIA!!
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:49 am

dostoevsky wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:I'm talking about leagues, as for the NT I'm not sure how exactly they go about getting paid or what the contract there is, but if it is true that the women's team generated 20m more than the men's team then they should be paid a higher share. It was always my stance that it should be linked to their revenue generating capacity: "If the women's league and the men's league made equivalent sums then they should get paid the same", from here it clearly follows that if they out earn the men then they should make more.

I personally think it sends the wrong message if national associations do this, but I understand where you're coming from. It would be a perfectly reasonable principle to apply to leagues, but without the introduction of a salary cap it's difficult to actually envisage what this means when the links between league associations are fairly tenuous in many countries. In Australia, each A League side has a women's team but in many countries this isn't the case. It doesn't do much to talk about equal pay without any coherent vision of what this means in practice. At least on a national level though, base pay agreements can reflect that both sides are worthy of equal esteem.

Talking about club pay is just a way to distract attention away from what can be done. Obviously no one's going to be able to demand the same pay and individual like Ibrahimovic can, but that's only come up as an issue in this thread because the OP and the quotes in it drew up a ridiculous comparison between football and tennis.

Very naive to think revenue has nothing to do with NT football. Its not about the individual players.

NT federations get money from FIFA. FIFA get money from revenue generated from sponsorship and television deals and the like. Television deals and sponsorship deals are negotiated based on the market the stations or companies are able to reach through the sport. Do you think FIFA makes more money from the US womens world cup or the mens? Therefore, do you think the US soccer federation makes more money from the mens team or the womens team?

Is that unfair on the women? Maybe. But thats life. Its also why male models on average probably earn a lot less than their female counterparts. Its life, its capitalism. But if you want to argue the moral high ground by the same token the men could argue there should be a wage gap because:

1) The competitions they play in generate all that money that they rightly want a fair cut of
2) They play in a far more competitive competition
3) They probably had work harder to get there because they had to fight for their place in a far more competitive environment

I wouldn't say I am outraged but its this sort of PC rubbish that gets through and can negatively impact the sport. If women in the NT get paid more - you know who gets paid less? The men. Then what incentive do they have to play well for their NT when they are taking home a tonne more for their club.

I have no issue with women asking for a pay rise. If they are proportionality getting less than the men based on the revenue being generated because someone else is taking a bigger piece of the pie than they should be - I will be outraged by that for men or for women. But don't say "I should get paid more because this other person gets paid X and its because of his gender" - because that's a rubbish argument unless you can back it up and I really doubt they can.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2