Firenze
El Gunner
M99
Freeza
RealGunner
27 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Oscars 2018 | 90th Academy Awards - Page 5 Empty Re: The Oscars 2018 | 90th Academy Awards

Post by McLewis Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:39 pm

El Gunner wrote:
McLewis wrote: Denzel is the real hero for mediating and defusing this situation.
how so? from what i understand he just took Will to the side in the next break and lectured him a bit. But the situation was done, he didn't defuse or mediate anything, it wasn't as if Rock retaliated. Rock actually did well by not escalating the situation.

All of that is subjective. You have your view on it. I have mine. Denzel didn't have to do anything yet he did. The very fact that he made an effort is worth mention, in my book.

McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Oscars 2018 | 90th Academy Awards - Page 5 Empty Re: The Oscars 2018 | 90th Academy Awards

Post by FennecFox7 Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:51 pm

sportsczy wrote:Comedians make fun of everything and everyone, appropriately or not.  If you have a problem with it, you get up and leave.  That's what a civilized person in a civlized society does.

There is literally no excuse for violence unless violence is done to you... not only is that my moral take on it, it's also the law.  This is clear assault.

The Oscars are stupid anyhow.  Wouldn't surprise me if this wasn't some staged publicity stunt.  It's that outrageous and stupid that I almost feel that it has to be... But then again, Will Smith and his wife have given me the "mentally unstable" vibe for years now.  A shame.. because I used to like Will Smith a lot.

Pretty much my thoughts

People are so unbelievably sensitive these days. Take a joke and move on.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:43 pm

Will Smith apologies the next day to Chris Rock which is the right thing to do, hes lucky he wont get punishment... I guess everyone n the Academy can understand it was a mistake...

Moving on just wanna say happy that Jessica Chastin won, shes a great actress n done quite a few good roles. Definitely will watch more of her movies too Razz

Also not sure about the recent Korean trends where best picture n then best actress were won, now Japanese wins best foreign film, pretty good run, although cant help but feel they were bit overrated having seen these films... its definitely is a matter of taste n relative sense of exoticness to the Western if there is such a word. An example I always give is back with The Departed winning everything, when it was a pretty disappointing movie based on the Hong Kong movie Inferno Affair which was far better Razz

Last edited by BarcaLearning on Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:14 pm

Absolute nonsense the whole lot of it, from start to finish

Osccars are done and finished, some proper desperate covert black op scripted stuff like this won't be able to save them

meaningless and fundamentally unpleasant
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:43 pm

@BarcaLearning The Departed is wayyyyyyy better than Infernal Affairs
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:48 pm

Not seen the other one but The Departed was crazy and unpredictable. I did watch it at a young age though.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:54 pm

El Gunner wrote:@BarcaLearning The Departed is wayyyyyyy better than Infernal Affairs

comfortably
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:23 am

El Gunner wrote:@BarcaLearning The Departed is wayyyyyyy better than Infernal Affairs

Not seen Infernal Affairs but I heard it's supposed to be other way around.

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:50 am

Lucifer wrote:

Not seen Infernal Affairs but I heard it's supposed to be other way around.

Yes.

One the one hand, you have the eternal legend that is Tony Leung, on the other hand you have the dim-witted grinning pastyface that is Leonardo Di Caprio.
And so on.

Departed has got nothing on the original films.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:11 am

@Lucifer it's just a bunch of hipsters that think that way. For starters, it's not in English (sorry not sorry). I couldn't keep up with the fast pace action sequences and the subtitled dialogue, and the terrible editing all happening at the same time in Infernal Affairs.

Plus, the rating websites all have The Departed higher.
Letterboxd: 4.2/5 vs 3.9/5
IMDb: 8.5/10 vs 8/10
Vudu: 4.5/5 vs 4.1/5
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:09 pm

Infernal Affairs is definitely the better movie of the two, even without the original factor.

^ Also when you take into account modernistic and westernistic rating inflations, those scores actually are better for Infernal Affairs.

"subtitled dialogue" Very Happy you should've watched the dubbed version, like Hans.

Last edited by Harmonica on Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:14 pm

The Departed is a much better film imo. I don’t even think Infernal Affairs is any good.

Still can’t see the appeal of it over the remake aside from sounding more cultured from claiming the original is better as people often claim. Like saying a book is better at this point.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:17 pm

It's probably which ever movie you watched first. I saw the whole trilogy before Departed, and it was a huge let down then.

The Girl with Dragon Tattoo, now that's where the hollywood adaptation is definitely better.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:23 pm

Harmonica wrote:It's probably which ever movie you watched first. I saw the whole trilogy before Departed, and it was a huge let down then.

The Girl with Dragon Tattoo, now that's where the hollywood adaptation is definitely better.

The first part could be a reason for it, honestly. Thought it was much more messy and I really preferred the humour in Scorsese’s. Don’t think they were all that similar tbh.

And yeah. Fincher’s version is tons better.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:05 pm

Harmonica wrote:Also when you take into account modernistic and westernistic rating inflations, those scores actually are better for Infernal Affairs.
is this something that comes from the school of Messi statistics? Laughing
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:09 pm

Freeza wrote:
Harmonica wrote:It's probably which ever movie you watched first. I saw the whole trilogy before Departed, and it was a huge let down then.

The first part could be a reason for it, honestly. Thought it was much more messy and I really preferred the humour in Scorsese’s. Don’t think they were all that similar tbh.

exactly... Scorsese put his own imprint on it. So i really never got all the comparisons in the culture at all because it's not just an American remake, but rather it's a film of its own that took inspiration from the Japanese movie.

Also tired of The Departed disrespect in general, and people saying that Marty didn't deserve the Oscar for it, and that it's only a "make-up" recognition (not that we should care about the Oscars that much). My 2nd favourite Scorsese behind GoodFellas.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:11 pm

Interesting, definitely goes to show ones preference n cultural background etc. affects a lot on opinion obviously... seeing which one first n the timing are also factors as mentioned...

I like some Scorsese films, but not others, so really depends on personal choice n just luck of clicking with the particular movie I guess Razz Some things in Departed I just thought was almost too comical like, whereas Infernal Affairs was just so cool n much more serious.

Production value Hollywood is always gonna trump everyone, so thats that.

Reason I pointed this out was seeing the huge trend in Korean n Japanese stuff seemingly of late but personally cant help but feel they are a bit overrated, prolly we dont knwo the real good stuff like the locals do which is natural, but always good to keep an eye out for good ones to see and definitely provides some different things to see.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:24 am

RealGunner wrote:So who do people think is in the wrong in this incident? What's everyones take?

100% Will Smith, it is really simple there is no place for violence.

Furthermore how would Chris Rock know about Jada condition?who here honestly knew that?

Blue
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:12 pm

I know I've come in at the time where no one wants to hear opinions on something that has gotten way too much attention but.

I didn't find Chris Rock's joke funny given it was out of her control and just a bit lazy for the standards of who is a good comedian.

I did like Smith defending her honour as it does take quite the spine to go up there and do something like that.

What I didn't like is that he did not wait till after the Academy to confront him let alone verbally confront him front him seat when the action was directed to his wife.

How he was laughing heartily at the joke till he figured his wife did not like that.

How he suddenly decided to play white knight and make it all about himself.

Most of all his incredibly smug cringe inducing walk back from the slap.

Most of all, I understand defending the honour of your woman but this is a woman who has openly cheated on him with Tupac, another rapper half her age and what not and clearly has a hold on him.

Will Smith is a broken man as this for me was his ego lashing out indirectly and upon little Chris Rock. Would he have done it if it was The Rock? Absolutely fucking not Will Smith is in his 50s and remains a dancing clown who clearly is damaged and it would not surprise me if some morning we hear he has hung himself.

So of course the cuck had to do just this not to defend her honour but his own.

This now also leaves comedians in danger for such actions simply because they cant take a joke. Thank you Will you grown up rapping child. And of course did not apologise to Chris himself during the acceptance speech but likened it to "God told me to defend my family".

Oscars are a joke anyway and in serious decline so they should be thanking him.

But bro why slap cheeks when people be clapping your wife's ass cheeks.

Dumbass.

Last edited by Arquitecto on Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:14 pm

Lastly, the star of this for me is Chris Rock.

Who not only took it like a champ, holding his face out, barely shifted his balance from what was total bitchslap, and seconds after managed to make the crowd laugh.

And did not decide to press charges. 100 percent respect for him.

And not surprised what Denzel did after given he not only is Hollywood's finest black actor but amongst the finest period.

The quote about the devil getting to you etc was just legendary. Very very intelligent man.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:20 pm

Arquitecto wrote:as it does take quite the spine to go up there and do something like that

I dont think it takes a lot, all you need is a peanut-sized brain and in any other context this is assault
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:26 pm

Myesyats wrote:
Arquitecto wrote:as it does take quite the spine to go up there and do something like that

I dont think it takes a lot, all you need is a peanut-sized brain and in any other context this is assault

On a normal case I agree but when the world is watching and given your A-list status it is quite the thing to do.

Its nowhere near the highlight of my point but I still feel it takes something what ruined it for me was his sly grin after.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:40 pm

Neither looks good. It was a shitty joke and Smith was way out of line. I think Will looks worse coming out of it but it was just a mess all around

The memes and the drama surrounding it has been amazing though so I am glad this moment came to exist
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:24 pm

Will: i love you babe

Jada: big CL game coming up, i think we'll play Zinchenko as false 9

The Oscars 2018 | 90th Academy Awards - Page 5 Will_s10
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:28 pm

Arq wrote:and it would not surprise me if some morning we hear he has hung himself.
think this is a bit extreme conclusion to come to... but yea he seriously needs to leave his wife, and just have fun with supermodels a la Leo DiCaprio, for the remainder of his life.

the last time my guy was genuinely happy...

The Oscars 2018 | 90th Academy Awards - Page 5 Focus-will-smith-margot-robbie-slice.jpg?q=50&fit=contain&w=1500&h=&dpr=1
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:32 pm

The Oscars 2018 | 90th Academy Awards - Page 5 D8765a48ba34eaccef2e5fd2eca0eaf3de333d4d
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next