Hapless_Hans
Clutch
CBarca
Myesyats
sportsczy
BarcaLearning
14 posters

Go down

Dest = Dani Alves 2.0? Empty Dest = Dani Alves 2.0?

Post by BarcaLearning Sun 21 Mar 2021, 23:08

After what feels like forever to find a proper replacement for Alves, I think we've finally found it. Dest has had some injuries issues and took a bit of time to settle and find his form and chemistry with teammates, but has already improved a lot lately, finally providing what we have been missing on the right attacking. Together with his obvious attributes - amazing technical skills, pace, competitiveness, stamina, finishing, final ball, general all round play, together with his young age, it looks like he really can become Alves 2.0 for us Very Happy

His weakness it seems is probably physically needs to be stronger (although Alves is just similar built I think), decision making, and the most important is defending (again Alves were great at but definitely good enough, whereas in the few occasions where Dest was tested so far - vs Mbappe, could have been better). Apart from that I dont see much wrong and so many strengths already for such a new player for us.

Oh and finally just a thought, probably not major but he plays for the USA I think? Not sure but perhaps this could hinder his growth as a player compared to say a players who plays for a top NT team can consistently competes us the best.

What do u think?
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Dest = Dani Alves 2.0? Empty Re: Dest = Dani Alves 2.0?

Post by sportsczy Sun 21 Mar 2021, 23:15

Alves was actually a very good defender too. I remember that for a few years, CR couldn't get past him. I want to see if Dest can get there defensively too. He got skinned by Mbappe in CL... that should act as a learning experience.

Next time Barca play a team where there's a big attacking presence on his side, it will be interesting to see if he's adjusted.

Very good talent. At 20 years only, I could see him becoming one the elite right backs in the not too distant future. The next two years are key...

US has some talent in footy. The next WC should be interesting. They have a legit team for the first time.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sun 21 Mar 2021, 23:17

Awful defenisvely, amazing in the attack. Too early to judge
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun 21 Mar 2021, 23:19

We finally got to the point where talents went overseas and started learning footy in better environments than trying to do it homegrown.

We need to accept that just like the NBA reigns supreme and the best Euro talents come here, MLS is never gonna be on the stage as European footy, and we need to send our talent over there
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Clutch Mon 22 Mar 2021, 00:16

CBarca wrote:We finally got to the point where talents went overseas and started learning footy in better environments than trying to do it homegrown.

We need to accept that just like the NBA reigns supreme and the best Euro talents come here, MLS is never gonna be on the stage as European footy, and we need to send our talent over there
I genuinely dont think Americans understand the sport. They cant develop players because I honestly dont think they know what even makes a great player. A xavi, iniesta, or even messi would never had survived if they were American

Clutch
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon 22 Mar 2021, 01:16

I believe the proper American expression is

Calm your tits
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon 22 Mar 2021, 02:28

Nah.

I refuse to believe the next Dani Alves is a yank.

But also why compare him to the best RB in the last 15 years? Who needs that kind of pressure?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Mon 22 Mar 2021, 04:02

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Nah.

I refuse to believe the next Dani Alves is a yank.

But also why compare him to the best RB in the last 15 years? Who needs that kind of pressure?

That would be Philipp Lahm.  Alves is 2nd though. Alves had too many disastrous games with NT (along with Marcelo at LB) to have an argument.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Mon 22 Mar 2021, 10:03

Yep Alves was just amazing, so good in everything and even had the engine to get back and defending pretty well. The way we let him leave was one of the first signs of our poor management.

Still remember how despite how amazing he was, he was actually behind Maicon for the NT who was also amazing at his best for quite a few years.

Forgot to mention one thing, apart from the physical side of things, tactical awareness obviously also important, so he will need to improve that in order to help him in games. One thing Alves good at was also he didnt always have to bomb up and down non stop, his partnership with Messi and awareness also meant he could build up slow and position himself nicely in whatever situation, including vs Ronaldo, etc.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Mon 22 Mar 2021, 10:23

CBarca wrote:We finally got to the point where talents went overseas and started learning footy in better environments than trying to do it homegrown.

Playing the long game sending Dest's father to The Netherlands 20 years ago :bow:
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Mon 22 Mar 2021, 14:41

This is spot on. When mckennie played in our youth set up he was good and clearly talented.. but not THAT good. There were more talented players, some of these guys were just ridiculously good in the FC Dallas set up. Forget the FC Dallas set up, there were some just unbelievably talented guys playing on the streets but they couldn’t afford or didn’t get the opportunity to play. The difference? Simple. Coaching and footballing culture. Coaches never actually tried to improve youth players with talent, it was just “go out and do your thing and we won’t tell you shit”.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Mon 22 Mar 2021, 14:46

Very different players. Dani Alves was a beast physically. He had more stamina at age 30 than Dest has at 20. His professionalism was second to none at Barça. Of course he was heavily influenced by Guardiola, but that in turn made him into a very versatile player who could add in midfield (Pep is doing the same with Cancelo). If you ever watched Alves at Sevilla, you'd know he was very raw and just a powerful fullback who would put a lot of good crosses in. At Barça he hardly ever crossed the ball.

But most importantly Dani Alves was very intelligent. He got better and better as he aged and his combination play with his surrounding players was telepathic. Dest I don't see as an inherently intelligent player. More eye candy and skilful he may be than the Brazilian, but he isn't just as good at reading the game. With some good guidance he can and will learn to read some situations. After all he's only 20.

And finally like others have mentioned, his defensive side of the game really lacks. I feel like people overrate fullbacks with attacking/winger-like qualities (prime example is Hans and Davies, a total eye candy numpty who can't defend for shit). You can put a winger at fullback too, the trouble is: 1-they don't have the same work rate as wingbacks 2-they suck defensively. Something I see with Dest too.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon 22 Mar 2021, 15:59

Let's not compare Dest to Dani Alves, the guy was a different level and expecting someone to reach that level is cruel punishment.

Dest is a 20 year old non La Masia player who plays, starts and excels at Barca. That in itself is extremely rare.

I just hope games like this put that nail in any Sergi Roberto talk.

I understood Dest was a great talent when he said he was disappointed with his performances meanwhile far surpassing anything we have had since Dani Alves.

I wonder how good Max Aarons is considering it was such a difficult decision to choose between the two.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon 22 Mar 2021, 17:37

I'm not 100% sold on him yet in the same way I am with the other top talent in the US pool. He's just gotten fit enough to go on a run of games so I think I need to see him perform more consistently over a larger amount of games.

I think comparing him to Dani Alves is fine if we're looking at what kind of player he could eventually become. Beyond that, it's all a bit premature.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by adun101 Tue 23 Mar 2021, 02:30

Who gives a shit, tell me who's the next Messi
adun101
adun101
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Tue 23 Mar 2021, 07:22

Dest has all the tools. I feel that the key here will be molding him into a good defender first and foremost. He clearly can defend and tackle but with fullbacks especially and really playing defense in general it’s about positional awareness. Do I make the run forward if the forward is likely to rampage down my side with pace, etc, and that is something dest is still understanding. Dani Alves could restrain himself when needed like when he marked CR for instance.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Tue 23 Mar 2021, 09:36

Nowhere near.

Calma.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue 23 Mar 2021, 10:35

Alves was unique. Dest is at least already better than Semedo, but he's hardly played 5 games man
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum