+3
Myesyats
Kaladin
McLewis
7 posters

Go down

Rings of Power || Amazon Prime Video Empty Rings of Power || Amazon Prime Video

Post by McLewis Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:35 pm

My re-reading of the Silmarillion has been timely.

I know there's trepidation about this show (and particularly Galadriel), yet I'm optimistic.

It's going to get review bombed from the jump. That's unavoidable. Amazon has invested enough money into this show for it to run at least 5 seasons. So even if that 1st season isn't great, the subsequent ones may end up being better.

For me, it'll be interesting to see a Middle Earth joint with the Tolkien estate actually on board with it vs the Peter Jackson films (as great as they are).
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Rings of Power || Amazon Prime Video Empty Re: Rings of Power || Amazon Prime Video

Post by Kaladin Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:10 pm

I'm an avid LoTR fan and have read the books alongside the Silmarillon along while back.

I'm also a huge WoT fan and what they did in the show has disbanded the fanbase and ruined the source material. It was my all time favorite book series and even fans don't recognize the show as canon as it has changed so much Laughing

I don't have much hopes for this either.
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Rings of Power || Amazon Prime Video Empty Re: Rings of Power || Amazon Prime Video

Post by McLewis Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:01 pm

Let's hope JD Payne and Patrick McKay are better showrunners than Rafe Lee Judkins has been for WoT. Many saw that one as a test run for what Amazon could do with this show, but I'm not so sure that's fair in hindsight. WoT spans 14 books. RoP covers just part of 1 book. The narrative scale is massively different.

Like Judkins, Payne and McKay are very inexperienced. Unlike Judkins, I think their vision for this show is far more compelling than what Judkins has done so far.

Beyond that, I'm going to try to stop comparing the shows. The IPs are just very different.

McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:01 am

“Can you tell us about the character and what can fans expect from her?”
“Well…she’s THE FIRST woman dwarf AND she’s a dwarf of color!”

Laughing
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:29 pm

I'm not huge on LOTR but the trailers look good, will be watching
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:16 pm

Very muted expectations for this. Do think Amazon spent way too much on the IP for them to blow it with risky takes. So I expect it to be bang average.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:06 pm

So first 2 episodes dropped last night.

It's a gorgeous show. Very easy to see where that billion in investment went from Amazon.

It's a little clunky plotwise and some the acting is a little wooden as it's introducing all of the main characters, but I do see myself growing invested in them already, particularly the Dwarves. I'm glad I did do a re-read of the Silmarillion as it's allowed me to better divest myself from the Peter Jackson films and immerse myself in this show, particularly where Galadriel and Elrond are concerned.

I think this show will come good once it truly gets to where it's trying to go. It's getting there, but that may not be fast enough for some.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:38 am

Its terribly written, what the heck are these plot devices the writers are using? Galadriel just somehow knows that the orcs are using magic? And some of the exposition dump is just downright insulting to viewers

The show is ass like i suspected it would be, cinematography is good but i don't watch for the cinematography solely, not like fantasy cinematography hasn't been done before at a grand scale.

And the virtue signalling and the agenda being purported is just tasteless, i don't care about diversity, i don't watch a show to see boxes in a checklist ticked. Every male is a coward/weak, the characters are wooden and Galadriel - the less said the better.

Just downright terrible
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:15 pm

Where are you seeing virtue signaling in this show? Because there are people of color playing Elves, Dwarves and Numenoreans?

I'm not going to fully judge the show on 2 episodes.

What needs to be remembered (something I forgot in my post above) is that this is NOT based on the Silmarillion. It's based (loosely, I'm assuming) on the appendices at the end of ROTK. The Tolkien estate would not allow Amazon the rights to the Silmarillion and I suspect this is what gives Amazon some freedom to do what they're doing here. I think it certainly accounts for why Galadriel is written the way she is.

I'm looking to be immersed. I didn't look at my phone once during those first 2 episodes so that's a good sign, to me at least.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:43 pm

Kaladin wrote:Every male is a coward/weak
ahh the new world agenda is tainted on this one i see
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:34 am

Episode 3
Spoiler:

The plot is obviously moving a lot slower than people want, but I think it's about done introducing new characters so it should be able to focus more on better fleshing out each storyline. The $1 billion Amazon have invested in this show is over 5 seasons, not just this season, so if it takes it a bit longer to get going, the gamble that people will still be invested by the time it hits its stride will be a toss up. I lean towards the affirmative.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:18 pm

So that's Season 1 in the books.

Overall, I enjoyed it. Could it be better? Obviously. Will it be? I really don't know.

I think my biggest problem with this show is its unexpected campiness for such an ambitious and expensive project.

Probably the biggest example of this:

Spoiler:

What did I like most about it? Finally getting to see Numenor and its people. That's undoubtedly the high point for me. I love everything about the aesthetic that was chosen to represent it. Bear McCreary's score is also another high point as well. I've added so many tracks from it to my regular stable of playlists that I feel pretty set for season 2 whenever that happens.

The show has a lot of promise. I'm not convinced this season was a waste of my time. It just didn't live up to extremely stratospheric expectations. Establishing such a vast expanse of world and lore was always going to be tough. It's the downside of trying to tell the Silmarillion without actually having the rights to tell that story. The ROTK Appendices are just too thin for something like this, but the foundation has been laid so I think the really hard part has been done. Now it's about giving everything more substance. I think that type of focus from the writing staff should eliminate the campiness this season had.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:11 am

Lasted 6 out of the 8 episodes. Couldn't even get myself to finish. It's just not very good.

The beginning I liked a bit because it took me back to middle earth and nostalgia and fantasies of LOTR really carried me through the 6 episodes. I was just glad to have LOTR back on screen again. But honestly, once that wore off, the realization sets in that it's not a very good show.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:23 pm

Rumor has it that Amazon are overhauling the show for its 2nd season, replacing the showrunners and such.

Will be interesting to see if that happens. Would love to see someone like Miguel Sapochnik take over since he's no longer running House of the Dragon. That man knows how to handle fantasy shows.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum