Firenze
Arquitecto
El Gunner
32 posters

Page 10 of 27 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18 ... 27  Next

Go down

23/24 UCL Knockout Stage - Page 10 Empty Re: 23/24 UCL Knockout Stage

Post by The Demon of Carthage Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:01 pm

Can't really see Madrid winning this tie. Last season, we also drew at home but then got completely outplayed in Manchester.

Of course it's a little different this year, but City is the clear favorite now.

I would love to be proven wrong next week though.

The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:45 pm

I still think we can win. I've watched all of Man City's matches, and they're not in particularly impressive form this season. Haaland has scored 1 goal in the last month and a half or so. A lot of teams mark him tightly, but he's utilized as a ghost decoy in this setup, so the marking effort is largely wasted on him. He doesn't see the ball a lot regardless of whether or not he's marked, and marking him allows Foden, Grealish and Silva a lot of space in the final third. That said, I do think we defended against them quite well.

It never ceases to amaze me this season how Foden keeps scoring those outside the box shots. His long shot to goal ratio seems quite underwhelming to me in general, but you have to give credit where it's due. He reminds me of Jadon Sancho with how he either gets it very right or very wrong with those shots, and this time it was against an actual big team. Even Gvardiol scored his first goal for City against us, and it was another screamer. There's not much you can do to prevent goals of that type, but I like to believe that they won't repeat it in the away game. My biggest concern is that KDB may be back, and he can create all kinds of trouble for us.

Last edited by Thimmy on Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:46 pm

If we are getting eliminated i hope we at least put up a fight, last year was embarrassing with players effectively walking on the pitch. like i know they just won the CL the year before and weren't as hungry but that kind of performance is unacceptable for Madrid no matter the circumstances.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:48 pm

Pedram wrote:If we are getting eliminated i hope we at least put up a fight, last year was embarrassing with players effectively walking on the pitch. like i know they just won the CL the year before and weren't as hungry but that kind of performance is unacceptable for Madrid no matter the circumstances.

That might be related to fatigue. Rodri also complained recently that he was feeling tired, which might explain why he hasn't been quite up to his usual standards this season. Competing on all fronts takes it's toll eventually.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:05 pm

Pedram wrote:If we are getting eliminated i hope we at least put up a fight, last year was embarrassing with players effectively walking on the pitch. like i know they just won the CL the year before and weren't as hungry but that kind of performance is unacceptable for Madrid no matter the circumstances.

Bernardo Silva and City's full press just put it on you last year, nothing you could do about that
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:12 pm

El Gunner wrote:

Bernardo Silva and City's full press just put it on you last year, nothing you could do about that
That's not why we conceded 4 goals. We conceded those goals because our left side was an empty road where City could just waltz through. We haven't been able to replace Casemiro who was amazing at reading cutbacks and getting up quickly to block long shots. Onc3 Kroos tired City found a window to get shots off unopposed.

We have to force them wide next week because we lack a player like Casemiro in the middle.
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:29 pm

El Gunner wrote:

Meh it could have gone better if Carlo wasn't so stubborn on Kroos-Modric pairing, Kroos was too slow to keep up with City midfielders and Modric was simply tired and showing his age.

The difference maker for us this season is Camavinga being actually utilized in his actual position, he's an incredible CM for his age and he was being wasted at LB for much of last season.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:42 pm

halamadrid2 wrote:
El Gunner wrote:

That's not why we conceded 4 goals. We conceded those goals because our left side was an empty road where City could just waltz through. We haven't been able to replace Casemiro who was amazing at reading cutbacks and getting up quickly to block long shots. Onc3 Kroos tired City found a window to get shots off unopposed.

We have to force them wide next week because we lack a player like Casemiro in the middle.

didn't Bernardo score two goals within 20 minutes... Kroos must've tired pretty quickly then 23/24 UCL Knockout Stage - Page 10 1f480

point being the better team won, it's not City's fault you fielded old players
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:51 pm

Thimmy wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me this season how Foden keeps scoring those outside the box shots. His long shot to goal ratio seems quite underwhelming to me in general, but you have to give credit where it's due.

He will put another screamer past lunin next week to finally convince you :coffee:

most of the time even if those shots don't end up in goals they always cause difficulty and test the keeper. Having someone who is a constant threat from distance is very valuable.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:04 pm

El Gunner wrote:
halamadrid2 wrote:
El Gunner wrote:

didn't Bernardo score two goals within 20 minutes... Kroos must've tired pretty quickly then  23/24 UCL Knockout Stage - Page 10 1f480

point being the better team won, it's not City's fault you fielded old players

Yep they were just the better team, no question about that. also keep in mind that we are comparing last year City form vs this season. while they are more or less the same team, they haven't been as solid as last year. their defensive shape is more exposed and vulnerable with Rodri not in top form and possibly tired, plus they don't have Gundogan anymore.

Overall i'd say we've got a better chance this year simply because we have a stronger team but a lot of it depends on Carlo getting his tactics right and every players being at their best shape. *looking at you Jude* Razz
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:07 pm

Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:53 pm

@Pedram agreed

funny how Rodri says he isn't in top form, statistically his scores are still high and the best out of all DMs on all databases such as WhoScored
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:02 pm

Thoughts on Dembélé's celebrations after Barca defended him time and again?

23/24 UCL Knockout Stage - Page 10 Q5x3lf7levtc1
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:05 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Thoughts on Dembélé's celebrations after Barca defended him time and again?

23/24 UCL Knockout Stage - Page 10 Q5x3lf7levtc1

Awful character, should've known already when he trashed his room back at BVB.

Its like getting into a relationship with a cheater and acting surprised when they cheat on you.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:06 pm

Myesyats wrote:
Thimmy wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me this season how Foden keeps scoring those outside the box shots. His long shot to goal ratio seems quite underwhelming to me in general, but you have to give credit where it's due.

He will put another screamer past lunin next week to finally convince you :coffee:

most of the time even if those shots don't end up in goals they always cause difficulty and test the keeper. Having someone who is a constant threat from distance is very valuable.

It’s not like with KDB, where you know that you’re in trouble if he shoots. With Foden, he either blasts a bunch of shots into the stands/into opposing players, or it goes straight into the corner. There’s definitely more of a spray and pray approach to how he shoots, and that might not be so obvious if you only watch them occasionally, like Man United did when they decided to acquire Sancho.

Like with Jadon Sancho, it’s difficult to view them both as reliable distance shooters, but when they do get it right, they do it perfectly. With KDB, every shot is a threat. As the opposing team, you just have to hope that his accuracy is a bit off when he takes a shot.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:03 pm

The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:31 pm

If they hadn’t won it last season, people would still be calling them chokers, similarly to how PSG are called chokers. Granted, there’s a bit more substance to that association when it comes to PSG.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:01 pm

Still think we will get knocked out Very Happy Surely Enrique wont mess up again n just put out a straight best team thats gonna go for the goals n that should be enough to kill us Razz N Mbappe surely has to perform n wont keep flopping. We wont get lucky again... otherwise we would be favs to actually reach the final, something I cannot fathom with what we got this season...

Hope Man C spanks Real, but doubt it will be that, should be tight game. Bayern prolly save their all to spank Arsenal to make up for their domestic embarrassments Very Happy
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:53 pm

Mes que un club indeed
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:07 pm

Barca n PSG both with proper best lineups. Think they will edge us through with Mbappe scoring Razz
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:23 pm

When I look at the lineups, I say to myself that Barca lineup isn't bad and competitive with PSG other than Mbappe's presence. However, when I look at the benches, it's a completely different story. Barca has literally nothing on the bench while there are several good options on PSG's bench.

That really is the story of Barca these days with their financial limitations.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:27 pm

For Mbappe to play well as a central striker, Barcola and Dembele need to have really good games. Otherwise, Mbappe gets isolated.

Other issue with Mbappe as a central striker is that he's non-existent in the air. So crossing the ball is useless.

In short, I don't like it. I would have put Goncalo Ramos as the CF and kept Mbappe on the left. Barcola is too hit or miss given his young age... hopefully it's hit this time.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:30 pm

Thimmy wrote:If they hadn’t won it last season, people would still be calling them chokers, similarly to how PSG are called chokers. Granted, there’s a bit more substance to that association when it comes to PSG.
True. PSG changes managers every 1-2 years, which is the big issue. It's not a choking issue... more that they have to rely on individual talent due to lack of cohesion. That always gets exposed.

Man City have stuck with Pep and they finally got a team together. So even when they don't play well, they can rely on team cohesion to get a result.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:40 pm

It will take a really solid defensive performance for us to advance. I'm most worried about Cancelo and his proneness to have brainfarts in that department.

Really depends which Barca and which PSG show up, could absolutely go either way.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:06 pm

How are you folks? Watchi football after ages.

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:19 pm

sup Lucy... bring Hans back with you
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down