+3
Helmer
El Gunner
BarcaLearning
7 posters

Go down

Xavi vs Xabi Empty Xavi vs Xabi

Post by BarcaLearning Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:44 pm

Just watching Xabi's Lever beat Bayern very convincingly, actually humiliating them pretty much which I dont remember seeing Bayern like this ever (might be Tuchels effect also lol), but as everyone knows by now, Xabi is legit n surely will continue to another top club next season? The future looks bright for him.

On the other hand, Xavi has resigned n 'failed' at Barca, while doing very well last season to win the league, havent impressed apart from that, n having Barca regressed this season. I might be biased obviously, but I do think Xavi have had it hard managing Barca in a bad time not having done that badly n will see how he does going forward.

I just so vividly remember back in their playing days, I always thought Xavi were much better than Xabi as a player, as it was Barca > Real back then, n also for Spain Xavi ran the games n Xabi was just his assistant kind of Razz So never would imagine the contrast today.

Of cos its still early days in both their managerial careers, will be interesting to see, but what do u think?
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Xavi vs Xabi Empty Re: Xavi vs Xabi

Post by El Gunner Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:50 pm

come on man you should know this by now... just because he was the better player doesn't mean he would have been the better coach
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:05 pm

So Xavi did win the La Liga as a coach, when was it, ohhh wait just last season I think. I wouldnt judge Xavi so early. I am looking forward to what he could do at a club like ManCity. I have a feeling he will repeat what Pep did in recent times, that is win titles.

On the other hand, Xabi is obviously looking great so far. He has completely transformed the club and their playing style so fast. Actually substantiated the approach with proper success on the pitch. Still a long way to go in the season. But I would say he is capable of winning titles in the right set up in any league.

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:28 pm

BarcaLearning wrote:Just watching Xabi's Lever beat Bayern very convincingly, actually humiliating them pretty much which I dont remember seeing Bayern like this ever (might be Tuchels effect also lol), but as everyone knows by now, Xabi is legit n surely will continue to another top club next season? The future looks bright for him.

On the other hand, Xavi has resigned n 'failed' at Barca, while doing very well last season to win the league, havent impressed apart from that, n having Barca regressed this season. I might be biased obviously, but I do think Xavi have had it hard managing Barca in a bad time not having done that badly n will see how he does going forward.

I just so vividly remember back in their playing days, I always thought Xavi were much better than Xabi as a player, as it was Barca > Real back then, n also for Spain Xavi ran the games n Xabi was just his assistant kind of Razz So never would imagine the contrast today.

Of cos its still early days in both their managerial careers, will be interesting to see, but what do u think?

As players you are trying to compare apples and oranges. They were completely different styles. For sure Xavi was considered the better midfielder, as was Iniesta. Xabi was known for his ability to thread the needle in making key passes and Xavi more of a quarterback. However Xabi was in command of team, almost like an on field assistant coach directing play. It is with this latter trait that Xabi was predicted to be the better coach in that coaching class. That class had Xabi, Xavi, Raul, Guti, Arbeloa and 2 or 3 others that were on seleccion.

Xavi has made two critical mistakes in his coaching career. The first being not getting the necessary experience prior to coaching a big team. Coaching is something that you need experience before attempting to coach a big team. Even Zidane and Guardiola had better prior experiences with the #2 teams in RMad and Barca than Xavi with his Saudi grooming.

And his second mistake was trying to impose a set style of play on team, rather than, as Capello pointed out in recent Marca interview, adapting to players capability.

As EG pointed out, top players seldom make it as a great coach.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:29 pm

Xabi was amazing as a player too tbh. granted we only had him for a few seasons, he was always a class act and pure elegance on the pitch.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:37 pm

Yes he was a B2B, with amazing passing skill with a command presence directing the other players on where to go or where to pass. The issue with RMad and on seleccion was, coaches trying to direct him to be a DM.

Btw, Bellingham, despite his young age, is also directing, on field on where pass should go.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:44 pm

oh yea Xabi was immaculate at Liverpool... respected his style, intelligence and confidence as a player

don't read too much in him being a Spanish NT backup player... there were so many great Spanish midfielders during that time lol... a midfield of Xabi Alonso - Santi Cazorla - Juan Mata could compete and win against any of the international midfields we have today
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:32 am

Xabi was never a backup on seleccion. It was Iniesta, Xavi, Xabi and Busquets with mostly Torres and Villa up front.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:44 am

please you know what i mean; Xavi, Iniesta, Busi was the main midfield, don't be difficult, old man
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:08 pm

Xabi was great at Sociedad too. Worked well and fluid in any system....my unpopular opinion, he's Spain's second best midfielder ever...(and David Villa's the greatest Spanish player I've ever seen).
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:29 pm

let's be reasonable in this thread please... Iniesta and Xavi exist
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:46 pm

i give Xavi his credit, he's Spain's greatest ever midfielder. But i maintain my stance on David Villa
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:48 pm

David Villa isn't the greatest Spanish player ever but for La Roja he is easily our best ever. I cannot stress how good and clutch this man was in big moments and games. Miss him.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:50 pm

Arquitecto wrote:David Villa isn't the greatest Spanish player ever but for La Roja he is easily our best ever. I cannot stress how good and clutch this man was in big moments and games. Miss him.

It must hurt Arq to know he is Asturiano!
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:53 pm

If you're from the north be it Asturias Cantabria or Aragon it won't. Anything below that then absolutely.

Ive only love for Asturias anyway Proud

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:44 pm

Thanks for the love of us Asturianos!
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:03 pm

bill, what coaching class were u referring to, n seleccion? So all the players mentioned went to a class to get their coaching license or something?

David Villa was definitely the best striker in the world back then for a while... feel so nostalgic, Spain dominated football for those yrs... they were untouchable.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:01 pm

Yes in Spain, you have to take a course or class to get a coaching license. The one I was referring to was about 5 years ago and was mostly filled with notable ex seleccion players. There were somewhere between 15 and 20 in that class.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down