FC Köln 1 - 2 Arsenal: Attack good, defence shaky. Where have we heard that before?

+11
Sri
Gil
Emaharg
ArsenalWenger
Spider
Raptorgunner
REWB
RealGunner
usman111
Iceman
Jay29
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

FC Köln 1 - 2 Arsenal: Attack good, defence shaky. Where have we heard that before? Empty FC Köln 1 - 2 Arsenal: Attack good, defence shaky. Where have we heard that before?

Post by Jay29 Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 17:29

This afternoon Arsenal entered the last stage of their fitness phase of pre-season with a challenging friendly against FC Köln in Germany. FC Köln were at a more advanced stage with their pre-season preparation and were a good, physical side. It certainly proved to be a good test for Arsenal.

Gervinho makes his mark but defence unimpressive

Arsenal lined-up with a near enough a full strength starting eleven in the first half. Szczesny started in goal while Vermaelen, captain again, partnered Koscielny at the back with Kieran Gibbs and Carl Jenkinson as the full backs. Ahead of them was the midfield trio of Alex Song, Jack Wilshere and Aaron Ramsey. The frontline was spear-headed by Marouane Chamakh and he was flanked by Theo Walcott and new boy Gervinho, making his first appearance in the red and white.

The half started with both teams evenly matched. Arsenal were finding their rhythm while Köln looked threatening with the strike partnership of Novackovic and Podolski. Köln had the better of the opening twenty minutes or so, but it was Arsenal who took the lead.

Jack Wilshere received ball just inside the Köln half and played the ball over the top of their defence. Running in behind from his position on the left was the new boy Gervinho who, with little hesitation, lobbed the ball over the opposing goalkeeper. An excellent finish after an excellent pass.

Gervinho would soon be on the scoresheet again. The ball found its way out to Walcott just inside the right side of the penalty area and the forward's cross-shot was tapped in by Gervinho.

In two moments we've perhaps seen what is to come from the Ivory Coast international. His movement throughout the time he was on the pitch was excellent and he frequently found himself in good positions to either take a shot at goal or set-up a team mate. In fact, he probably should have had a hat-trick when he found himself bearing down on goal from the left, but he opted to pass it across goal instead of opening up his body and taking a shot at goal. We didn't get to see much of his dribbling ability, but otherwise it was an impresisve half hour from him.

Arsenal's defence, though, wasn't anywhere near as impressive. Köln created a few opportunities that they've should have taken.
The intelligent movement and interplay of Novackovic and Podolski was difficult for Arsenal to cope with. They frequently exploited the space in front and to the sides of the centre backs, culminating in Vermaelen having to make one too many last-ditch tackles. This is mainly because of Alex Song being too far up the pitch and not protecting the defence like he should be, while Kieran Gibbs abandoned defending entirely in favour of attack. This lead to too many 2v2 situations and the defence being sucked out of position frequently.

Which leads me nicely onto the midfield. Whenever Song, Wilshere and Ramsey have played together Arsenal's formation has resembled a 4-3-3 more than a 4-2-3-1. Neither Wilshere or Ramsey played in that advanced midfield role, and took turns in getting forward. It was actually Wilshere who got forward more of the two, as opposed to the last couple of games when it was Ramsey. Wilshere was very effective in doing so; he's speed and dribbling creating problems for Köln.

It's a good partnership in the making, but the problem was Alex Song behind them. Song was too far up the pitch and seemed too eager to join in the attack. When you've got Ramsey and Wilshere already there, Song doesn't need to be as high up as he was. It's something that needs to be looked at.

Despite Arsenal's defensive problems, Köln only scored through an own goal... a rather unfortunate yet hilarious own goal at the expense of Carl Jenkinson. He moved to deal with a long ball but ended up slicing his clearance completely and ended up lobbing his own goalkeeper. Fantastic finish but, you know, in the wrong goal. This isn't to criticise Jenkinson, who otherwise had a very solid half, but we all must admit that goal was funny as heck.

Second half slow and rather meh

Arsenal made a lot of changes for the second half. Mannone, Sagna, Squillaci, Djourou, Frimpong, Rosicky, Nasri, Vela, Arshavin and van Persie all came on and as a result, Arsenal's play was slow and disjointed. Arsenal did still create opportunites but didn't take any of them. Meanwhile the defence was still far from convincing and Köln managed to get in behind numerous times.

The problem this time was that Arsenal's left hand side was still way too vunerable. The introduction of the agressive and dynamic Frimpong had solved the problem of there being too much space in front of the centre backs, but Gibbs' positioning was still awful. Köln again exploited this. It wasn't made any better when a midfielder, Connor Henderson, came on to play left back for the last few minutes of the game.

Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come. Arsenal have been vunerable down that left hand side for a number of years now and it's going to hurt Arsenal in the long run if we don't do something about it.

Fortunately we didn't concede a goal but we didn't score, either. The attack look very disjointed. Nasri proved once again he just isn't the creative player that can play in that no. 10 role, while Vela and van Persie appeared lazy and not very threatening. Arshavin was our most threatening attacker in the second half, but he lack accuracy with his shots.

The game ended 2-1 to the Gunners.

Player Ratings

Wojceich Szczesny - 7. Made some good stops in the first hald and looked good during set-pieces.

Thomas Vermaelen - 7. Arsenal's best defender. He made a number of good last-ditch challenges after some poor defending.

Laurent Koscielny - 6. Not much to say about him, really.

Kieran Gibbs - 5. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but he's got to learn that he can't attack non-stop during a game. His positoning was bad and it was him vacaing that position frequently that resulted in too many problems.

Carl Jenksinon - 6. Comical own goal but otherwise solid.

Alex Song - 4. Annonymous in just about every aspect. Didn't do anything offensively despite being high up the pitch, and was no where defensively. If Gibbs is going to go forward frequently then Song needs to drop back and cover the position like a defenisve midfielder should do.

Jack Wilshere - 7. Really good performance from Wilshere. Set-up the first goal and looked threatening going forward.

Aaron Ramsey - 6.
Good, but nothing more. Seemed to give the ball away a couple of times in bad positions.

Gervinho - 8.
Scored both the goals and as I said earlier, his movement was excellent and his finishing very good. Perfect start for him.

Theo Walcott - 7. Set-up the second goal and also displayed good movement. Was a bit wasteful on the counter, however.

Marouance Chamakh - 5. Was he even playing? Third time now Chamakh has put in a poor, lathargic display. Quite concerning.

----------------------------------------------

Vito Mannone - N/A. Didn't have anythng to do.

Luckasz Fabiasnki - N/A. Had less to do than Mannone.

Sebastien Squillaci - 6.
Actually did okay.

Johan Djourou - 6. Had a solid outing, though tackle for the yellow card was poor.

Conner Henderson - N/A. Looked pretty shaky at left back, which is to be expected since he isn't a left back. Hope his injury isn't bad.

Bacary Sagna - 6. Barely had anything to do.

Emmanuel Frimpong - 7.
Was really impressive. Agressive in his closing down and tackling and was everywhere on the pitch.

Tomas Rosicky - 6. Had a good game in central midfield.

Samir Nasri - 5. Disappointing again in the AMC role. It's just not his best position and I really hope Wenger sees this.

Ryo Miyaichi - N/A. Looked good in the short time he played.

Carlos Vela - 5.
Just isn't a winger. Always annonymous whenever he plays out wide.

Andrey Arshavin - 7.
Showed good skill and willingness to shoot, even if they weren't the best of shots.

Robin van Persie - 6.
Pretty lathargic bar a couple of good flicks.

Benik Afobe - N/A.

Last edited by GoonerJay29 on Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 18:30; edited 4 times in total

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

FC Köln 1 - 2 Arsenal: Attack good, defence shaky. Where have we heard that before? Empty Re: FC Köln 1 - 2 Arsenal: Attack good, defence shaky. Where have we heard that before?

Post by Iceman Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 17:35

Players who impressed me today:

Miyaichi
Gervinho
Jenkinson
Frimpong
Rosicky

Players who shocked me, in a bad way:

Nasri
Song
Gibbs

Players who were virtually non-existent:

Chamakh
Vela
RVP
Iceman
Iceman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

FC Köln 1 - 2 Arsenal: Attack good, defence shaky. Where have we heard that before? Empty Re: FC Köln 1 - 2 Arsenal: Attack good, defence shaky. Where have we heard that before?

Post by usman111 Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 17:43

Vela lost the ball too many times. he was not good at all.

in 2nd half arsenal had a very slow tempo and we all know what happens when arsenal dont play fast.
usman111
usman111
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 18:11

the 1st half was looking like a start of something new

2nd half was just like watching Arsenal from the last 10 games.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 18:15

RealGunner wrote:the 1st half was looking like a start of something new

2nd half was just like watching Arsenal from the last 10 games.

that first half team will start the season imo. with the addition of nasri, rvp and sagna.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 18:40

We staterd the second so well but, we statrd to relax and let them do what they want. Defence needs work a lot of work.

Jay I agree with all your rating, but I think Jack got a high rating, he was a workhorse but lost the ball too often, I give him 6.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 18:48

Wilshere was playing really well, but he lost the ball a lot too. He got caught in possession way too many times. He needs to let go of the ball a bit more readily than he does now.

I was very impressed with Miyaichi. In his 15 minutes, he managed to do a lot of things. He created a couple of chances that should have been converted, beat his man readily and used his pace far more effectively than Walcott does.
Jenkinson was playing very defensively. Only put in one cross and usually held back. He needs to start linking up with the winger in front of him, as all he did was pass the ball to the midfield which was sometimes too congested.

Rosicky was very good today. His passing technique never ceases to amaze me, but today he didn't take as much time on the ball as he usually does, which made him more effective. If only Nasri actually tried linking up with Rosicky instead of completely bypassing him. There is definitely a problem there, because Nasri just wouldn't pass the ball to Rozza.

Excellent review as always Jay
Iceman
Iceman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 18:52

Also, a few words on Frimpong:

He was very good. His passing range, I feel, is superior to Song's. His positioning is also better, for he knows when to hold back and when to go forward. He pressed tirelessly for the whole 45 minutes, made some key passes and protected the CBs, which is his main job. Arsenal were rarely ever cut through the middle during the second half, unlike the first one.
Iceman
Iceman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Spider Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 18:53

Great review jay

But i gotta say that Rosicky's rating should be at least 7.5
Spider
Spider
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/#!/ma7moud_21

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 18:55

Sagna is awesome we all know that but it must be said that Pudolski gave him far more trouble then he gave jenkinson. Jenkinson doesnt get bullied by defenders. Pudolski is a bull, think Sagna got dominated at times.

@icemand, Nah dont think his passing is as good as songs atm but can improve. Thing with frimpong is that hes a real out n out DM. will rarely go forward. Song on the other hand has created a new whole position for himself

CADM lol
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spider Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 18:59

On Conor Henderson’s injury…
The only sad thing today is the injury to Conor Henderson, it looks quite bad but let us hope that we have good news tomorrow morning. He twisted his knee, I don’t know how big the damage is but the first signs don’t look too encouraging.

on any other knocks…
Samir got a kick to his ankle, Gervinho got a kick on his knee but both have minor damage.
Spider
Spider
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/#!/ma7moud_21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 19:28

Jenkinson was playing very defensively. Only put in one cross and usually held back. He needs to start linking up with the winger in front of him, as all he did was pass the ball to the midfield which was sometimes too congested.

I don't see much of a problem with this, personally. I think full backs should be good defenensively first and foremost and then develop their attacking game later on, like Sagna did.

Or he could just remain as a defensive full back. Since it looks like we're going to using a very offensive left back, having a defensive full back might help balance things out a bit.

If only Nasri actually tried linking up with Rosicky instead of completely bypassing him. There is definitely a problem there, because Nasri just wouldn't pass the ball to Rozza.

The only type of pass Nasri seemed to do was the expansive cross-field pass to the full backs. I feel that Nasri is a little too selfish in his play to be effective in the middle; seems too intent on playing the blockbuster passes or trying to take people on. I'd rather use Rosicky there than Nasri. He uses the ball better, in my opinion.

I'm thinking about changing my review style slightly. Might not recap the match like I usually do and just focus on the key moments of the game and the tactics used throughout.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by ArsenalWenger Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 19:45

Excellent work Jay, I missed the match but after this match, what problems do you see and how could they be resolved? I know it's only one match but just something to discuss.
ArsenalWenger
ArsenalWenger
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 19:48

I'm not saying there's a problem. I think Jenkinson just wanted to put in a solid display, and so he didn't go forward as much as I would have liked to see. I do agree that defensive responsibilities outweigh the offensive ones, but he seemed to have the defense covered. Would have been nice to see him link up with Walcott, but that didn't happen. I also do believe that he has a good cross on him.
Plus, lets not mention Sagna....do I need to remind you how many times his crosses go nowhere? Not to say that they are never effective, but he could definitely improve upon them.

I also agree with you 100% on Nasri, and changing your review style by adding in your thoughts, and who did what wrong would be a good idea
Iceman
Iceman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by usman111 Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 20:15

Iceman wrote:Also, a few words on Frimpong:

He was very good. His passing range, I feel, is superior to Song's. His positioning is also better, for he knows when to hold back and when to go forward. He pressed tirelessly for the whole 45 minutes, made some key passes and protected the CBs, which is his main job. Arsenal were rarely ever cut through the middle during the second half, unlike the first one.

i agree with you as it is exactly what i think. there is however one problem frimpong imo made some really hard challenges and they could have easily been bookings. now arsenal need physical players but too much hard tackles may result in a sending off which is not good. he needs to learn when to make a dirty and intelligent fouls. this is a very important component of defensive midfielder and he needs to improve this area.
frimpong is more physical as compared to song and reminds me of tiote of newcastle.
usman111
usman111
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 20:26

ArsenalWenger wrote:Excellent work Jay, I missed the match but after this match, what problems do you see and how could they be resolved? I know it's only one match but just something to discuss.

Same problems as last year, unfortunately.

The two centre backs are being exposed too often by Song, the supposed defensive midfielder, and Gibbs being too far up the pitch. This leaves a big hole between defence and midfield, which intelligent strikers will exploit.

When that space is exploited, it creates confusion in the defence because they don't know whether to press or stand off, especially when it's a 2v2 situation. If you got more bodies back one defender can press while the others track runners in behind.

Another problem is that Arsenal commit men forward but don't press the ball as much as they should do. We had seven players in the opposition half quite often but rarely did they press the ball. Starving the strikers of service is an effective way of defending, especially when you have a defence like ours. If we don't press we become vunerable on the counter.

If we aren't going to press the ball then we need more men back in our half protecting the back four. I've seen Arsenal defend very well when they get bodies back and defend with with a bank of four and a bank of five. So it's not like we're incapable of doing so.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by usman111 Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 20:30

the long ball problem is still not sorted out Rolling Eyes

they have started taking long range shots that is new

Last edited by usman111 on Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 20:36; edited 1 time in total
usman111
usman111
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Emaharg Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 20:35

The commentators I were listening to were 100% correct in regards to our defence.
We don't press in the right place to play a high line which is why we get exposed so often, I mean some of the balls they were playing were poor and our defence was making them look world class. Frimpong over Song for me from the match today, he knows the DM position better he breaks up play properly, Song seems to be play like a CM now.
Emaharg
Emaharg
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 22:58

Hopefully Wenger bottles it and plays Nasri through the middle this season rather than a Wilshere - Ramsey CM duo with a decent DM behind them.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 23:18

surely wenger has seen what half the world have seen as well. Rosicky played some excellent forward passes. Nasri on the other hand was too static
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 23:24

Okay. Sorry I took a while but I went out after the match.. Only just got home Smile

Firstly, watching a match LIVE is NOTHING like watching on a television/stream. Its absolutely brilliant and a lot more insightful. Seems like you guys have covered most of what I had to say about it, but I will try and put things in my perspective as well. Here goes..

PART 1

The stadium was absolutely buzzing. Barely resembled a friendly atmosphere. The fans, 41500 in number (including those in the 2 away stands) were up for it. Being a german club, there was enough and more beer and cigarettes being sold in the stands to keep the atmosphere alive. Smile I was in a stand surrounded by the home fans and it was a bit hostile for me to sit there in my shining Red & White Arsenal jersey. Almost got into a brawl when Arshavin went down in the penalty area - that was a clear penalty from where I saw it. Oh I was in the North Stand, right behind the goal Smile

The match has been discussed a bit by you lot. I will only point out some key things now:

Firstly, Jenkinsson is very very impressive. Defensively solid. By the time Sagna leaves, we'd still be well stocked in that area. I can almost say that he had Podolski in his pocket. However, the real man was Tommy V. WHAT A DEFENDER! Appeared from nowhere for some of those tackles and blocks. And won many of the headers too. He deserves the Captain armband after Cesc.

Gervinho - don't know how much you saw of him on screen, but his movement, on and off the ball, is beautiful! There was this period of play between our goals when he and Walcott effectively switched wings and their defense was bamboozled for a few minutes. The early goals, coupled with the Rensing injury, put the home fans in a frenzy. Gervinho was at the receiving end of quite a few abuses when he was substituted. Razz

Miyachi came on to replace him and that kid is nothing short of brilliant. Although I have my doubt over his physical strength, he showed some quick feet, great movement and good composure on the ball. Saw enough of him in 15 minutes to feel really really eager to see him at the Emirates.

Walcott, apart from the assist (which looked like a fluke though) had an okay half. I was not too impressed with his movement. He has to improve a LOT more technically if he wants to start playing centrally.

Chamakh - I have been supportive of this lad since his poor form started in 2011. But no more. He was absolutely woeful. Worst player in the first half. He looked like a bad hybrid of Denilson and Bendy in his headless chicken mode. Nor did he showcase his aerial abilities in the chances he got. The man is in a rut. And he needs to dig himself out of it, fast. The highlight was when he lost the ball but ran all the way back with the chap who tackled him and ended with just a foul on him. Woeful. Not the time to show your work rate. However, our defense was short and it was good he ran back to help. The rest were still lounging in the other half.

Koscielny - Nothing much to report.

Song - I am feeling more and more convinced that he is trying to add those chips and long balls to his game. He tried it a few times.

Wilshere - Man of the Match for the first half. What driving runs, what creativity and what vision! Enough said!

Ramsey - Played well but needs to work on his corners; were poor. Also, had a few lapses while defending when he gave the ball away needlessly. Gibbs was also to blame for those though.

Sczcesny - Absolutely wonderful lad! And was really good in goal too. However, I noticed that he tends to wander almost till the half line when we are attacking! He should NOT be doing that! I got a few pics of this. However, given that our CBs were themselves somewhere in the other half, Szczesny was the only player left in the entire half of our side. And halfway down to boot. We were DEAD and ROASTED if Cologne had a better counter attack.

Worth mentioning is the training before and between the halves. Some of the ball control and one touch passing brought a tear to my eye. I love this club and the football they play. Smile

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by ArsenalWenger Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 23:32

GoonerJay29 wrote:
ArsenalWenger wrote:Excellent work Jay, I missed the match but after this match, what problems do you see and how could they be resolved? I know it's only one match but just something to discuss.

Same problems as last year, unfortunately.

The two centre backs are being exposed too often by Song, the supposed defensive midfielder, and Gibbs being too far up the pitch. This leaves a big hole between defence and midfield, which intelligent strikers will exploit.

When that space is exploited, it creates confusion in the defence because they don't know whether to press or stand off, especially when it's a 2v2 situation. If you got more bodies back one defender can press while the others track runners in behind.

Another problem is that Arsenal commit men forward but don't press the ball as much as they should do. We had seven players in the opposition half quite often but rarely did they press the ball. Starving the strikers of service is an effective way of defending, especially when you have a defence like ours. If we don't press we become vunerable on the counter.

If we aren't going to press the ball then we need more men back in our half protecting the back four. I've seen Arsenal defend very well when they get bodies back and defend with with a bank of four and a bank of five. So it's not like we're incapable of doing so.

Sure does sound like last year, maybe if we didn't play such a high line against teams then we wouldn't be caught out like that. We need more players pressing as you say, and to keep it at a high standard throughout the match/season and not to drop it.

Everton last year at the start of the season (it was last season wasn't it?) is a good example because we were pressing Everton as much as we could and came out with a 6-1 victory, and the potential we have to create more big scoring matches like that in our favour is huge, we just need to starve the opposition.

We can defend when we want to yes, Barca away showed it last year, we just need to do it to every team we play against and I'd like to see more rotation this year so players become less fatigued like Rozza against Wigan things like that because the EPL is a faster and harder (imo) league to play in compared to La Liga where Barca can save some energy by knocking the ball about a lot and keeping possession whereas the faster tempo we play leads to us tiring quicker, thus pressing less.
ArsenalWenger
ArsenalWenger
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 23:37

Going to see the game in person is definitely a different experience. You get to see the whole pitch and every player; how they move, how much they move, etc. You get to enjoy the atmosphere as well. I'm sure you had a great time. Smile

I'm going to the Arsenal/Boca Juniors game next Saturday. It will be the first time I've been to the Emirates since Emirates Cup 2008, I think. Arsenal vs Real Madrid. Anyway, the trip is part of my future brother-in-law's stag party thing, so it'll be just the guys (my sister and my dad's partner went last time). Should be a good day out.

As a result of that, I won't be able to do a post-match thread. Unless you're prepared to wait about three hours after the end of the game, that is. It takes over an hour just to get out the stadium and onto the tube... apparently it's not going to be a full-house for the first day, so this might help with the crowd congestion a little. Unlikely, but one can hope.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 23:41

Wow this is lengthy and takes some effort! Here is the second half; PART 2:

The side was devoid of any motivation. The fact that we were leading played in their heads I guess, coupled with the fact that this was *just a friendly*. Too bad the fans were not thinking the same way.

We seemed to start brightly but that was about it.

Frimpong - The lad impressed me immensely in the half and came a close second in the player of the second half for me. He is an absolute beast, no nonsense DM that we have been crying out for all this while. He has the skill, the potential and the attributes. He is very effecting in breaking up play. As a DM< he is strong, moves intelligently, and was crucial in Squillaci not looking like a clown.

Squid - Why do we have this guy? Got into a needless headbutt with their forward which would be a straight red, if not for this being a friendly. Nor did it go down well with the home fans.

Djourou - Nothing much to say. He put in his shift but Frimp and to an extent, Sagna, stole the defensive show.

That brings me to the rest of the midfield of Rosicky and Nasri.

Rozza - Vintage! Class! Perfection! Player of the Half. Enough said. If he is going to be able to replicate this performance, I would happily play him in my midfield. The highlight was a pass from the outside of his foot, PEACHY!

Nasri - Although its a bit harsh to say he was selfish, either that or he doesn't have the vision to make a good pass. RvP would be missing Fabregas sooo much, cause there is absolutely no chemistry between him and Nasri. It was dismal. Also of note was how deep Nasri kept wandering back. Shocking to see a AM playing behind the DM! Wasn't impressed with his work rate either. I am not going to throw a tantrum if we sell him. He should be worrying about his starting position with the arrival of Gervinho, unless Fabregas leaves.

Vela - Wasted on the wing. Really is. Please let this guy play in him natural position! He isn't a frekking RW!

RvP - Showed some classy ball control and was a pleasure to watch. But the lack of service from Nasri affected his game. Rozza liked up very well with him though.

Conor Henderson - Shocking decision to play him as a LB. WTF! And we picked up a twisted ankle. Feel sorry for him.

Where the hell was Traore? I wanted to do a him vs. Gibbs bit. Too bad I couldn't watch him live to draw that comparison.

Finally brings me to Arshavin. The man is really funny Smile I like him Smile But what I like more, is his skill. Technique. He was in a different class! And if I wasn't prejudiced towards Rozza, I would have given Arshavin a few more points. Wink To all of you who think he is old, and should be sold, and blah blah blah - Please go watch him play LIVE instead of on TV. This man is quite something. And he was the only one showing attacking intent.

I hope I added a few more things for you guys, tried my best. Anyway, it was a wonderful experience for me to watch us live in action today and I hope I can see more of this sometime soon in the future. Gooner for life. Smile

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat 23 Jul 2011 - 23:59

Thanks for that Srigooner. Really appreciate the different viewpoint for someone actually at the game. Smile

One question though: did you take any pictures?

Anyway, at this point in time I'd say our best team is this:

Szczesny

Sagna --- Koscielny --- Vermaelen --- Gibbs

Song --- Wilshere

Walcott --- Fabregas --- Gervinho

van Persie

And if we need a bit more technical flair up front we'd have Nasri, Arshavin and Rosicky as options. Plus Ramsey and maybe even Miyaichi provided we can get a work permit. Not bad options at all.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum