Djourou: 6
Traore: 7
Frimpong: 7.5
Wilshere: 6.5
Gervinho: 7.5
Nasri: 5.5
Arshavin: 7
RVP:7

ramsey: 6.5 ( he scored, but it was his mistake which led to their 1st goal)
chamakh: 5
Vela: 6
Eboue: N/A
Squillaci: ...

RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Emirates Cup 2011 Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Emirates Cup 2011 Thread

Post by Sri Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:24 pm

My ratings :

Fabianski: 7
jenkinson: 7.5
Koscielny: 7.5
Djourou: 5
Traore: 6.5
Frimpong: 7
Gervinho: 8
Nasri: 5
Arshavin: 6
RVP:7.5

ramsey: 6
chamakh: 5.5
Vela: 6.5
Eboue: 6
Squillaci: -1
Mannone: 6

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:25 pm

From the reviews... Should Traore be preferred over Gibbs...?
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:25 pm

@Wilson: I'm tending to that opinion.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:29 pm

lets see how gibbs does tomorrow.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:59 pm

i missed the 2 second goals for both teams..... if anyone finds some vids please post them here....i would look for them my internet is going on and off atm...
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:58 pm

imalegend wrote:i missed the 2 second goals for both teams..... if anyone finds some vids please post them here....i would look for them my internet is going on and off atm...
Here you go.

I agree that the midfield left too large of a gap between themselves and the defence. There were a few times when our defence had the ball and wanted to distribute it without hoofing it up the pitch, but there was nobody to pass to.
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:05 pm

Right then.

It took me about an hour and a half to get up to the stadium on the train. I really do dislike the London Underground but I had to suck it up today. Typically it was hot, stuffy, cramped, etc. Fortunately we weren't down there for long.

We got into the stadium about twenty minutes before the New York/PSG game after a quick lunch. The game was okay, though the crowd was quite flat since Thierry Henry wasn't playing (more on him later). Nonetheless, New York played well and deserved the win. Their goal was quite well-worked, as well. The crowd appreciated it. The American fans were also very good, making as much noise as they could despite being scattered around the stadium.

I kept my eye on two players in particular. Sakho I thought looked very assured and composed in pretty much everything he did, and put in some very brave clearances as well. He was, though, beaten in the air fairly often.

The other I took a close look at was Menez. Overall I wasn't too impressed with him. He did some nice stuff with the ball at his feet but lacked end product and work rate. Glad we didn't have any real interest in him.

So that covers the first game.

I'll break our game up into segments:

First Half
First half we were very good. It took a few minutes for us to find a good tempo but when we did we looked threatening going forward. Watching our passing in the stadium was a joy, since you could see up close just how fast these guys control and move the ball on. Furthermore, with a full perspective of the pitch you get to see where all the players position themselves. The addition of Gervinho to the side really effects this. I'll discuss this more later.

Defensively we were a bit suspect. I was sitting behind Fabiasnki's goal, so I got a very good view of the defensive line. As you might expect, it was very high up the pitch which is about right for teams that try to play football in the opposition half. The problem was though was the gaps between them and how that, combined with the line being so high up, resulted in the Boca forwards being able to get in behind a bit too easily - especially with Riquelme pulling the strings.

Second Half
Changes at half time disrupted the rhythm a bit, although we scored early on. Vela's skill was excellent and Ramsey's shot was well struck. But that was pretty much the extent of what we did good in that half.

Boca shouldn't have been let to get back into the game but they did through an error from Ramsey, who dwelled on the ball a little too long and lost it, which then put our defence under pressure. The positioning was all over the place, since Djourou had to come across to cover which opened up a gap between him and Traore - who should have tucked in - allowing their player the space to score with a good finish.

The second goal stemmed from a similar problem. We failed to keep the ball and a mistake from Djourou ended up in a goal.

There was one constant in all our defensive problems: there was no one protecting the back four.

You may not have noticed watching it on the TV or computer but we had a back four, playing high up, with wide gaps between each player, with both full backs pushing on and no midfield sitting in front of them for added protection. This meant that Riquelme would have a field day, and it put the defence under unnecessary pressure which results in more work than they should be doing which, in turn, forces errors.

As my dad said: they could've plowed three tractors through our defence today.

Later on, when Eboue came on I said to my brother: "watch as our attack becomes blunt". And I was proved right. There was nothing from Vela, Nasri, Eboue and Chamakh that was remotely threatening. I don't think those four created even one shot on target.

Overall, the second half was very disappointing.

The Players
Luckasz Fabiasnki - Really didn't have anything to do in the first half, such was our dominance. One thing I noticed was how close the opposition players actually get when they close the keeper down. Heart in mouth stuff, at times.

Vito Mannone - I was at the other end of the ground when he was on but it seemed like he didn't cover himself in glory out there. Fun fact: he can kick with both feet. Saw him do it during the warm up.

Laurent Koscielny - Was excellent. Sometimes he got a bit too tight to people, but otherwise the way he positioning himself for interceptions and the way he wins aerial challenges and tackles was very good and actually very interesting to watch.

Johan Djourou - Was okay in the first half and I couldn't get a good view of his error in the second half, unfortunately.

Sebastien Squillaci - Less said the better.

Carl Jenkinson - This kid works incredibly hard. One moment he's forward and joining in the attack, the next he's back at right back defending. He was up and down the flank the whole match and he put in some good crosses. Very impressed with him.

Armand Traore - Actually did well. His positioning wasn't bad, though there were moments in the second half when he lost sight of who he was marking. Otherwise, he was pretty decent.

Emmanuel Frimpong - The whole stadium was impressed with him. His energy and work rate certainly brings something extra to the midfield. He's not afraid to put his foot in and is actually pretty decent on the ball. Sometimes though even he went forward - at one point he was in the AMC position while Nasri was behind him! - and although his performance was excellent all round, I don't think he protected the back four enough. Might just be a Wenger thing, though.

Jack Wilshere - The fans love this kid. He got one of the loudest cheers when he was name was read out. One thing I noticed is how often he gets battered on the pitch, simply because he moves the ball so quickly. The best part is how he just gets back up and plays like he was before that.

Aaron Ramsey - His goal was well taken but if there's one thing I noticed about him it was that he teneded to dwell on the ball for too long. On one occassion it lead to a goal, on others it lead to attacks breaking down or us having to play back to the keeper. He's done this in other games during pre-season.

Samir Nasri - To sum up his performance: he was a passenger. Why oh why Wenger wants to use him centrally I've not idea. Nasri lacks the tactical naunce to play that position. This was one thing I looked closely at. He rarely asked for the ball. He drifted around as Arsenal passed it and seldom actually looked to take the ball and get things going. Sometimes he'd drop deep and spray a pass from flank to flank, but he mostly made forward runs. Shockingly, he was the furthest player forward at times: Chamakh was on the left flank for goodness sake, while Nasri strolled about up front. So much for being a playmaker. Work rate was poor, as well.

All Nasri had to do was take a look at his opposite number: Riquelme. Riquelme played as a trequartista and was very good. He rarely dropped back behind the half way line and stuck exclusively to a central area where they was plentiful amounts of space. He didn't go beyond the strikers, not did he drop in behind the double pivot.

Overall, Riquelme showed just how you play as an AMC; Nasri showed he should stay far away from that position.

Gervinho - Onto something much more positive. Gervinho is a guy who is perpetually moving. He started off on the right, but drifted across the front line, sometimes appearing centrally and other times on the left. He was probably our best attacker in the game, showing good skill to beat players and set-up the goal on the counter. Passing was a bit wayward, though, as it was against Köln.

In 65 minutes, Gervinho has been extremely impressive. The best part is that you can easily spot him because of that massive forehead of his.

Andrey Arshavin - Was Arshavin, pretty much. Didn't exert much effort, though he did track back one time much to the delight of the fans.

Carlos Vela - Did one thing good before drifting out the game completely. His work rate is actually as bad as Arshavin's, which is to be expected since he's not a wide player. Full stop. He was easily shaken off the ball and was invisible on that right hand side.

Emmanuel Eboue - Did nothing of real note in the game. The reception he got when he came on was great though, with chants of "Ebouuuueeeeeeeee" going round the stadium. This may have been his last ever appearance for us, as well. Glad I was there to see it, even if it wasn't particularly memorable.

Robin van Persie - It's not hard to see he's an intelligent player. Very happy he scored.

Marouane Chamakh - Some of his hold up and link-up play was pretty good; reminiscent of the Chamakh of the first half of last seasons. He doesn't attack the box that agressively though. At one time, Jenkinson had the ball out right and was about to cross it in and Chamakh actually dropped deep to offen himself as a passing option, when he should have been in the box. The cross had to be played to Arshavin, instead. Something not quite right there.

Other Things

1) The most anticipated moment of the day was Thierry Henry coming out and saying hello to the crowd. Much to my extreme disappointment, that didn't happen. Henry appeared once in the tunnel, but he didn't play for New York, nor did he come out onto the pitch during the intervals between matches or at half time. He didn't give an interview, either, as far I know. Probably the biggest downer of the day.

2) The Emirates pitch is magnificent.

3) The Boca Junior fans were brilliant. Very noisy and were bouncing up and down in the away section with umbrellas, of all things. I'd never seen that before.

4) I sat in front of the biggest bunch of idiots I've ever heard, and they all smelt like crack. One of the downsides of being in the stadium.

5) A hot dog costs £8.50. Yeah. We paid £11 for three quarter-pounder meals from McDonalds.

Last edited by GoonerJay29 on Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:47 pm

Excellent post man! Sums up the game perfectly!

Agree with everything, and they have increased the price of the hot dog. used to be £7 last year lol

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:59 pm

Here are some pictures I took while I was over there (just click on the text):

Walking towards the stadium, just out of Arsenal Station, you can see the West End of Highbury behind the houses.

After walking up a flight of stairs, you come to the Ken Friar Bridge. This is just before the entrace. There're flags of ex-players aligning the sides.

Once you cross the bridge, you see this mural on the side of the stadium.

And there's more than one.

The front of The Armoury. Sort of.

The view from the club section of the stadium. This is pretty much what greets you when you go up the stairs.

The view from where I was sitting in the North End. Not bad at all, in my opinion. Finger is mine, by the way.

The famous clock, once on the South End of Highbury.

Gunnersaurus entertaining the fans.

Ball blatantly not in the quadrant for this PSG corner.

Boca Junior Players 1 | 2

Pat Rice.

The Starting XI.

Nasri, Wilshere, Rice and Gervinho.

Subs playing keepy-uppy.

Sprinklers on just before kick-off.

The Boca Junior fans and their umbrellas.

Arsenal defending a set piece 1 | 2 | 3

Last edited by GoonerJay29 on Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by KMD Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:10 pm

good summary, i agree with you on nasri, i thought it was his natural position, but no more!! may be mata can replace him...
KMD
KMD
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:15 pm

brilliant pics, should have taken urs as well btw Razz
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:23 pm

For anyone who watched the NYRB and PSG game can you let me know how Erding played.

Thanks ( yes iam so desperate for a striker that i will except PSG's scrappings)
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:27 pm

was quite good, but psg manager at the end said he is staying at psg.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:29 pm

RealGunner wrote:was quite good, but psg manager at the end said he is staying at psg.

Sad

That's that then, Mike Ashley is a bastard and we will battling with Blackburn for 19th place

goodnight.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:31 pm

Trust in Ba ,best and Ameobi Razz
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jayp Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:07 am

RealGunner wrote:ill give out quick ratings

Fabianski: 7
jenkinson: 7
Koscielny: 7.5
Djourou: 6
Traore: 7
Frimpong: 7.5
Gervinho: 7.5
Nasri: 5.5
Arshavin: 7
RVP:7

ramsey: 6.5 ( he scored, but it was his mistake which led to their 1st goal)
chamakh: 5
Vela: 6
Eboue: N/A
Squillaci: ...

Wasn't it squillaci that lost the ball that led to the first goal?
jayp
jayp
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

http://twitter.com/#!/Jay_Peezzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamin Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:15 am

same shit different day huh?
Jamin
Jamin
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

http://twitter.com/#!/J_Amin94

Back to top Go down

Post by awalezelin Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:18 am

[quote="GoonerJay29"]

Defensively we were a bit suspect. I was sitting behind Fabiasnki's goal, so I got a very good view of the defensive line. As you might expect, it was very high up the pitch which is about right for teams that try to play football in the opposition half. The problem was though was the gaps between them and how that, combined with the line being so high up, resulted in the Boca forwards being able to get in behind a bit too easily - especially with Riquelme pulling the strings.

Samir Nasri - To sum up his performance: he was a passenger. Why oh why Wenger wants to use him centrally I've not idea. Nasri lacks the tactical naunce to play that position. This was one thing I looked closely at. He rarely asked for the ball. He drifted around as Arsenal passed it and seldom actually looked to take the ball and get things going. Sometimes he'd drop deep and spray a pass from flank to flank, but he mostly made forward runs. Shockingly, he was the furthest player forward at times: Chamakh was on the left flank for goodness sake, while Nasri strolled about up front. So much for being a playmaker. Work rate was poor, as well.

All Nasri had to do was take a look at his opposite number: Riquelme. Riquelme played as a trequartista and was very good. He rarely dropped back behind the half way line and stuck exclusively to a central area where they was plentiful amounts of space. He didn't go beyond the strikers, not did he drop in behind the double pivot.

Overall, Riquelme showed just how you play as an AMC; Nasri showed he should stay far away from that position.

i'm glad to hear that Very Happy
awalezelin
awalezelin
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:42 am

Riquelme was quietly efficient. He didn't do any extra-ordinary but he performed the role that he's so famous for and to be honest if I wasn't watching him live in the stadium I probably wouldn't have noticed.

He's the last of a dying breed of playmaker. It was nice to watch.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by awalezelin Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:07 am

GoonerJay29 wrote:Riquelme was quietly efficient. He didn't do any extra-ordinary but he performed the role that he's so famous for and to be honest if I wasn't watching him live in the stadium I probably wouldn't have noticed.

He's the last of a dying breed of playmaker. It was nice to watch.

thats why many of us underate him because his play are not too obvious compare to zidane or ronaldinho

yes, he always quietly efficient as playmaker
awalezelin
awalezelin
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:14 am

Nice review and amazing pics mate! Smile

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by ganso09 Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:31 am

get a new defender, djourou is a natural DM, he's even said that's his favored position

ganso09
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:51 am

Aaron Ramsey has revealed his frustration with his Arsenal team-mates as defensive mistakes saw the Gunners lose a two-goal lead to draw 2-2 with Boca Juniors in the Emirates Cup.

Errors from Sebastien Squillaci and Johan Djourou allowed the visitors back into the game after goal from Robin van Persie and Ramsey had given the Gunners the advantage early in the second half.

The Welsh captain told ESPN: “We got a 2-0 lead then we conceded two sloppy goals from our point of view.

"We’re still in pre-season so it was a good workout for us all but we just have to stop conceding sloppy goals like we did today.”

However, the midfielder believes the time he has spent on the pitch in pre-season and towards the end of the campaign will help him and the team for the coming Premier League season.

Ramsey added: “I’ve played a lot of games for the first team and so has Jack [Wilshere]. So we do have a lot of experience between us but there’s a lot more to learn, not just for us but for the whole team as well. Hopefully we can do that and take it into the season.”

The Gunners will look to bounce back this year after a disappointing end to the last campaign which saw them go without a trophy, making it six years without silverware.

However Ramsey feels Arsene Wenger’s side will be as potent as ever and not just when there are lower expectations of the team.

He explained: "We just go about the game the same every time and play the way that we play.

"I think we’re dangerous from a lot of players on the pitch, so I don’t think that’s the only time when we’re dangerous.”

The midfielder also outlined his wish to force his way into the Arsenal first team as he looks to get his career back on track after missing a lot of playing time due to a broken leg, concluding: “Obviously [I want] to get into the starting 11 again and play in a lot more games and hopefully put in a lot of good performances as well."

goal.com

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:34 am

Thierry Henry rumoured to be playing 1 half for NYRB and 1 half for Arsenal today!

SICK
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:29 pm

Samuelj29060 wrote:Thierry Henry rumoured to be playing 1 half for NYRB and 1 half for Arsenal today!

SICK

You gotta be kidding me!

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next