REWB
Fo'Shizzle_My_Nizzle~
Sri
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Deeper Midfield Role Empty Deeper Midfield Role

Post by Sri Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:47 am

I spent some time trying to find where the thread was where the discussion moved to DMs and Song in vain. I think we can have a separate thread for this? <Since we are already discussing the attackers situations in a Gervinho poll and the defense situation in another thread>

For long, we have been playing with one genuine DM in Song. We have tried to play Denilson and Diaby in that role with no avail. We have also moved Wilshere, who was more of a AM in the youth, into a defensive CM between Song and Fabregas. Same goes for Ramsey, prior to his injury. The both of them do enjoy the occasional advance roles when Fabregas and Nasri and Rosicky don't play ahead of them.

We have been linked time and again with Melo and of late, M'villa. However, there has never been any indication from AW regarding a DM signing. He says on occasion that he wants to bolster his attack, that we have defensive frailities, or the likes, but doesn't comment on single positions that need to be filled. In the forums, however, we target backup CBs, backup DM and supporting striker as the roles we need personnel in.

Another likely issue is the rotating midfield we employed successfully in some games this season, wherein the attacking midfielders drop deeper, taking their markers with them, and leaving enough space for our defensive midfielders bomb into space. This is suited to someone like Diaby, who likes to get forward and dribble around. Song also started getting forward this season. The problem is Fabregas can't defend if his life depended on it and with Song in front, we leave our backline exposed.

So the problem is really multi-pronged. We need a DM, who is a lot more than just sitting back and protecting the back line. But are we going to buy anyone?

Personally I do not think so. Last season, Frimpong was supposed to step up to the task but he fell to injury and we had Wilshere filling in. Now with Wilshere, Ramsey, Song, Diaby, Frimpong and maybe Coquelin and Lansubry in the two deeper midfield roles, and Nasri, Fabregas, Rosicky, Arshavin and maybe RvP rotating in the attacking midfield/hole, does AW really fancy buying? [I hope I haven't missed any names here, quite an exhaustive squad we have!!]

EDIT :- Kyle Bartley played a bit on the defensive mid role while on loan. Maybe AW has him in mind for that very role? Then thats one more player who I have forgotten in this list.

What do you guys think? :coffee:

Last edited by srigooner on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Deeper Midfield Role Empty Re: Deeper Midfield Role

Post by Fo'Shizzle_My_Nizzle~ Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:53 am

Melo or M'Villa would be great, but we could get Parker instead, without spending much. But Wenger with his French players philosophy :p
Fo'Shizzle_My_Nizzle~
Fo'Shizzle_My_Nizzle~
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:54 am

^^ So you definitely think AW will spend? Interesting.. M'Villa is french right?

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:56 am

after seeing parker vs the swiss, i can comfirm he is shit, we can do better
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by A Gunner Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:03 pm

I would go for Melo, AW was interested in him and he isn't doing well at Juventus plus he would relish the chance to feature in CL.
A Gunner
A Gunner
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamin Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:10 pm

what about Inler?
Jamin
Jamin
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

http://twitter.com/#!/J_Amin94

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:24 pm

Yeah, Inler is a bit of everything, we don't link with him though, the price Udinese asks is quite high as well. Wenger probably just wants to sign back up for Song so high profile names like Melo, M'Villa might be unlikely.

Like Redeyes said, Parker was below average for England, he was mostly b2b for Westham, plus AW said he doesn't want him either.

This is one position where I just have no idea in term of transfer
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by drakefyre Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:15 pm

I do think we wont probably find a high profile backup DM signing .

As noted in the OP , we have enough options for the other midfield role and the AM , so a high profile midfielder who can fill in as DM isnt much likely either .

If i was AW , I'd be looking for CB's who could fill in as DM's or the other way around , so the new signing would be guaranteed reasonable playing time.
drakefyre
drakefyre
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:22 pm

The problem this season is while our defense was good, Song generally went nuts and started going forward too much. Yeah, he improved his game a lot and actually scored some vital goals, but I'd much rather he stick back since he's the only midfielder we have who can defend a damn. Jack can do it, but he doesn't have the physique for it and still is a little too hard on the tackle.

While all those kids we have are decent, I want some experience because you can't rely on such inexperienced players in moments of crisis, or great pressure. Melo if Juve don't want him would be good, or M'Vila if he can be gotten for cheap. No English players, please. There's no one good.

Fellaini from Everton would be my dream signing, but he'd probably cost a testicle.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by drakefyre Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:39 pm

Sushi Master wrote: No English players, please. There's no one good.

I wouldn't mind Phil Jones , who has impressed as DM last season.
drakefyre
drakefyre
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:44 pm

drakefyre wrote:
Sushi Master wrote: No English players, please. There's no one good.

I wouldn't mind Phil Jones , who has impressed as DM last season.
He'd have to be not too expensive and have the potential required to get Wenger to look at him, though. Didn't Wenger say he didn't want him, already? I'm not sure but it does not seem like a Wenger signing. Just for being English he'd be like 20m.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:15 pm

... I wonder if RM would sell Lassana back to us? Razz
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:32 pm

ali8775 wrote:... I wonder if RM would sell Lassana back to us? Razz
If Arsenal wanted him and he wanted Arsenal, sure. He is being sold out, definitely. Only problems I see would be wages.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by drakefyre Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:51 pm

Sushi Master wrote:
ali8775 wrote:... I wonder if RM would sell Lassana back to us? Razz
If Arsenal wanted him and he wanted Arsenal, sure. He is being sold out, definitely. Only problems I see would be wages.
the reason lass originally left was that he wasnt first choice ... I dont see how that'd change if he were to join again .
drakefyre
drakefyre
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by bloodless Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:54 pm

we need a strong DM asap

bloodless
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:54 pm

He's not exactly first choice material, but I'm sure Wenger could rotate him with Song at the very least.

He's French, after all.

Or, for those tough games, play a Song+Lass double pivot.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by A Gunner Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:01 pm

Melo apparently just took a shot at his team-mates calling them not good enough to be featuring at Turin.

Go for him??
A Gunner
A Gunner
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:07 pm

Definitely, I'd go for it.

The problem is Wenger going for him.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:08 pm

AW has been a long term "admirer" of Melo.. Unfortunately, I still don't see him sign any out and out defensive midfielders.. He seems to want more utility midfielders who are good at going front as well as tracking back to defend..

However, if he is looking at such utility midfielders, then he would do good to go and get another one like Song, who can also deputise when the usual CB crisis comes around..

Kyle Bartley played DM on loan right? Seems like I forgot him in the OP.. Add him to that list of players..

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:16 pm

If your thinking of a backup DM for Song theres no point in talking about these names or what not because you know Wenger will sign some unknown kid if its for a backup position.

On the other hand I do think Song is replaceable, I read names like Melo and Fel those players > Song in the DM role for me.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:26 pm

Thats just the thing.. AW will not spend on a back-up when we have so many kids (refer OP fr names) to play in that role! Frimpong was touted to be the next in line on the DM front.. Arsenal.com claimed this was going to be a break through season for him.. Then he got injured.. Here is what arsenal.com says on his season review :

Emmanuel seemed destined to make his mark on the Arsenal side in 2010/11 before a serious knee injury cruelly ended his season before he got his chance.

He looked a shoo-in for first-team opportunities after a pre-season that saw him feature heavily but suffered knee ligament damage on the eve of the Premier League campaign.

The injury put Emmanuel’s rise on hold for another year.

After a gruelling rehabilitation that saw him miss virtually the whole of the season he returned for the Reserves in April after eight months on the sidelines.

Having seen fellow academy graduate Jack Wilshere emerge as one of the finest talents in the game during 2010/11 you wouldn’t bet against Emmanuel following in his footsteps next season.

Frimpong: “It’s been hard over the last [eight] months because I was doing well. You want to be out on the pitch and showing what you can do. I was going to go on loan [last summer] but then the boss said he wanted me to stay and be part of the team. It was just unfortunate that I got injured. I think being injured for so long can only make me stronger.”

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:28 pm

If Wenger said that last season, I don't see why he'd back track now..

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:12 pm

Yeah, that's true... I'm not completely sold selling such a vital position to a youngster like him, though. Specially not after tearing your ACL to bits. But hopefully he's the next Djourou.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:37 pm

Wenger doesn't want Scott Parker from what I understand. I expect a random French player, or nobody at all.
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:52 pm

Chances are either Frimpong will be used or Coquelin will be blooded into the team.

Which, I must say, is not ideal. I would prefer a much more experienced player as backup for Song, but at least Coquelin looks very capable after that loan at Lorient.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum