djoe26
Jamin
Sri
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Newcastle away Pre-Match Thread Empty Newcastle away Pre-Match Thread

Post by Sri Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:19 am

Newcastle away Pre-Match Thread 7096aXLECtM8ycyNewcastle away Pre-Match Thread VsNewcastle away Pre-Match Thread Arsenal-Logo

Saturday, 13th August 2011, 17:30 hours (UK Time)

St. James' Park

Newcastle away Pre-Match Thread Arsenal-newcastle

Arsenal Kit: Red/White, Green (GK)

TOUGH START

The 2011/12 season kicks off for Arsenal with a list of tough fixtures. The first match is away to Newcastle United, which will be followed by a mid-week encounter against Udinese at home (16th August), Liverpool at home the following weekend (20th August), and then two successive away games to Udinese (24 August) and Manchester United (28 Ausust). We have done poorly immediately after an away game in Europe, but that is a story for another day. The focus right now, is firmly on Newcastle United.

Newcastle away Pre-Match Thread Wenger-a-415x275

Wenger, clearly, has a lot to think about right from the word go.

PRESEASON ROUND UP

Arsenal have come off a mediocre preseason. While some of the youngsters etched their names in the hearts of the fans, some continued where they left off last season, and some just proved abysmal.

A lot has been made of the results of preseason games, which included 2 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss. However, fact remains, that these are just preseason games and not an indicator of how the season would be.

The loss to Benfica was only the fifth preseason defeat in ten years, and the first since a 2-0 loss to Valencia 2 years ago. The statistics don't seem so bad, but the manner of leading the game and then making defensive errors leading to drawn or lost games, is a horrible reminder of what transpired last season. That, more than the results themselves, has frustrated the fans, who booed the team after the draw against the NYRB.

In conclusion, the defensive frailities continue from last season and nothing has been done, except promoting Frimpong and shipping out Denilson, to remedy the situation. Nothing yet, at least. On the contrary, Clichy has left, leaving big question marks over the ability of Gibbs and Traore to fill the void in defense. Almunia and Squillachi still remain in the club. The only defensive signing has been Carl Jenkinson, who has been impressive in preseason. Eboue conitnues to be linked away.

The manager, however, felt that this was "medically the best preseason" we have had, and we were "more disturbed by transfer noise than injuries" this summer.

BLAST FROM THE PAST

Arsenal has a half-decent record against Newcastle. While the toons are no pushovers themselves, we have managed 57 wins, 35 draws and lost 62 games out of 154 against NUFC, scoring 214 goals and giving away 223 in the process. While our biggest win was 0-3 in 1928 and 1949, our biggest loss was 7-0 in 1925 in this fixture.

However, in the last two meetings, Arsenal lost a 4-0 advantage in the corresponding fixture last season to end in a 4-4 draw, while earlier, NUFC snatched a 0-1 win at the Emirates.

Newcastle away Pre-Match Thread Newcastle-VS-Arsenal-05-Feb-2011-sss

This is a game which can, by no means, be taken lightly. It is a tough fixture historically, and so will it be this time.

There is a stat which does seem positive, however. Arsenal have not lost the opening game of the season since a 1-0 loss at the Stadium of Light eleven years ago. NUFC, on the other hand, have not won their opening fixture since beating Bolton at the Reebok Stadium in 2007.

TALKING TACTICS & TEAM NEWS

Nasri and Fabregas remain conspicuous omissions from the travelling squad, while Wilshere's injury has a shroud of mystery around it. Diaby is injured, as always. Almunia, Bendtner and Eboue and linked with moves away. The rest of the squad, including Ramsey and Arshavin, seems fit and ready.

Arsenal's strength will be to play as a team unit which keeps possession and look to press higher up the pitch, which can also leave us open to counters. NUFC will look to stay compact, since 5 of the 8 goals at St. James' Park last season, came from quick counters after winning the ball in midfield. Three of these five showcased pace in beating an offside trap. With Walcott and Gervinho (Miyachi will not feature), we'll look to exploit this yet again. We have averaged 10 through balls per game last season.

From NUFC's perspective, they will look to have three CMs sitting behind the ball and direct their attacks through the flanks. The defense sitting back and being compact would mean that our wide players will be forced wide and have to cross the ball in, which would play into the hands of NUFC's aerial strength in defending.

Squads:

Newcastle away Pre-Match Thread 120811110200 Newcastle away Pre-Match Thread 120811105657

More than tactics however, team mentality and aggression wil have a telling influence on the game. NUFC will look to the corresponding fixture last season as a guideline.

PREDICTION

It will be a tight game, but we should walk away with a tight win, even though we might not keep a clean sheet.

Last edited by srigooner on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:35 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : [Opening Post changed to preview from AW's conference digest])

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Newcastle away Pre-Match Thread Empty Re: Newcastle away Pre-Match Thread

Post by Sri Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:21 am

And ofcourse, the team news from arsenal.com (just to put things into one place) :

On Thursday afternoon, Arsène Wenger gave Arsenal.com the following team news:

on Walcott...
“Theo is back in the squad, this is much quicker than I thought.”

on Van Persie, Vermaelen, Gibbs - all went off against Benfica...
“From the players who played in the last game, everyone should be available.”

on Wilshere...
“Jack Wilshere has been put in a boot. He has an inflamed ankle and it is difficult to set any specific date on his return, but we hope he will be back soon.”

on rumours around Ramsey and Arshavin getting injured on international duty...
“From the internationals, everyone is alright. I am positive on all of them, so they should be able to travel tomorrow. Many of them have played 45 minutes to an hour.”

on Diaby...
“Abou Diaby is slowly improving. As well, it is difficult to say when he will be back, but we know he will not play before the end of September.”

on the condition of the squad at this stage of season...
“During pre-season we were more disturbed by transfer noise than injuries. We already knew that Diaby would not start the season, but he is improving steadily. We did not know that Wilshere would not start the season, that is our only bad surprise. But it is not a threatening injury, it is an inflamed ankle and we hope he will be back with us soon. Overall, this has been the best pre-season medically for a long time.”

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:56 am

I'll try writing the preview this time, if you guys are okay with it Smile

EDIT: My first ever preview, do let me know what you think! Smile

Last edited by srigooner on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamin Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:42 am

so what was the surprise?
Jamin
Jamin
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Arsenal

http://twitter.com/#!/J_Amin94

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:03 am

From AW's press conference:

* Fabregas and Nasri not in the squad for Saturday’s game against Newcastle.

* Wenger on signing players: "It's not as easy as people think it is."

* Wenger: "I have not been disappointed by attitude of Cesc or Nasri. They have been professional."

* Wenger: "I expect nobody to leave the club. At the moment there is no news."

* Wenger: "The message we want to give is to have a fully committed team on the pitch. The players not on the pitch cannot give that."

* Wenger: "Cesc is not injured, he's not match fit. I don't want to go any deeper than that. Cesc is not on strike."

* Robin van Persie will lead the side out tomorrow.

* Wenger: "We are all replaceable...you do not want to lose big players..you fight to keep them."

* Wenger: "At the moment we have too big a squad. We are not in a position where we are short of players"

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by djoe26 Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:48 am

Nice preview sri Smile
djoe26
djoe26
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:11 pm

A few changes to the NUFC team, one thing Ba will definitely start over Best and it's quite possible Barton will start and Ferguson will start instead of R.Taylor( Even though this is less likely to happen) even Williamson could start ahead of Taylor but due to his lack of a pre-season i doubt that.

What id like to see.....

Krul
Simpson Taylor Coloccini Ferguson
Barton Cabaye Tiote Marveaux
Gosling/Vuckic
Ba

Anyway nice preview i enjoyed it as a NUFC fan, good luck on Saturday but too much obviously Twisted Evil
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:22 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:A few changes to the NUFC team, one thing Ba will definitely start over Best and it's quite possible Barton will start and Ferguson will start instead of R.Taylor( Even though this is less likely to happen)

What id like to see.....

Krul
Gosling/Vuckic
Ba

Anyway nice preview i enjoyed it as a NUFC fan, good luck on Saturday but too much obviously Twisted Evil

I read that Barton is less likely to start.. And its going to be a big step up for Vuckic.. Thats why I went with the team I did.. Thanks for the heads up though Smile

Yes, I am aware that there are a few NUFC fans here, tried to not make things too biased Wink

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:24 pm

srigooner wrote:
Immaculate_Mole wrote:A few changes to the NUFC team, one thing Ba will definitely start over Best and it's quite possible Barton will start and Ferguson will start instead of R.Taylor( Even though this is less likely to happen)

What id like to see.....

Krul
Gosling/Vuckic
Ba

I read that Barton is less likely to start.. And its going to be a big step up for Vuckic.. Thats why I went with the team I did.. Thanks for the heads up though Smile

Yes, I am aware that there are a few NUFC fans here, tried to not make things too biased Wink

I dont think Vuckic will start personally, id just like him too Very Happy

As for Barton, it's touch and go really, but i think we will start him tbh but anyway you did a good job Very Happy
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ArsenalWenger Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:25 pm

Well done Sri, very good preview especially if it's your first one Smile!

On the match tomorrow, I think it'll be tough if course but we should be able to see it through this one. Gervinho and Walcott should be too much for the Newcastle FB's tomorrow and I hope we hit the ground running this year.

Btw is there going to be a prediction thread this season?
ArsenalWenger
ArsenalWenger
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:29 pm

Thanks again guys Smile

Yeah I remember RG mentioning the prediction thread a couple of times...

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:32 pm

Great preview bro!

I expect a good start of the season so we'll proceed with confidence other games.

Van Persie to score a hattrick! Cool
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:43 pm

this is live on espn tommorow ??...can't wait
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:19 pm

Nice Preview.. Expecting a tough start.. Cant wait for the game to start..
Having my last theory exam tomorrow.. What a way to celebrate in the evening !!
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:24 pm

Nice preview, I will be looking forward first real game, might go in to work late one hour but I will log in from my cellphone and still get pay for it. Very Happy
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:25 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:Great preview bro!

I expect a good start of the season so we'll proceed with confidence other games.

Van Persie to score a hattrick! Cool

Welcome Urbanroots, lol there is another Albanian guy here his name is Boss you will love him Very Happy.
He confused us for a month for forgetting Albanian Independence day. Smile
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:35 pm

Boss is a goallegacy forum legend. Smile

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:38 pm

srigooner wrote:Boss is a goallegacy forum legend. Smile

Most the times, I have no idea what he is talking about, I love the guy.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:39 pm

Raptorgunner wrote:
srigooner wrote:Boss is a goallegacy forum legend. Smile

Most the times, I have no idea what he is talking about, I love the guy.

Easily the funniest guy on the forum. Whether you get what he is trying to say or not, hard to think of the forums without him. bounce

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:41 pm

So any prediction guys? I am going with a 6-1 win just a random number came to my head, mole dont kill me Very Happy.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:53 pm

I think we'll score two or three, but will probably concede as well. Going to be a real interesting game considering both sides are hardly in great shape; us without Fabregas and them without Nolan and Barton.

I reckon we can get some joy down their flanks if we play Gervinho and Walcott. Walcott has three goals and an assist (might be two) in his last two games against Newcaslte as St. James' Park and Gervinho's movement is likely to cause a problem.

The centre of their midfield looks pretty good though with Cabaye and Tiote. Song and Ramsey are going to have to be in the top of their games.

They haven't got a lot up front but I can still see us conceding given our bad habit of making poor errors at the back. Hopefully our attack will be on form to cancel this out.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:11 pm

Correct me if im wrong but will enrique play this match with his transfer on the verge? If he doesnt, Theo can do some serious damage there. What i like to see is some flashy pace down the flanks.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:17 pm

Twoism wrote:Correct me if im wrong but will enrique play this match with his transfer on the verge? If he doesnt, Theo can do some serious damage there. What i like to see is some flashy pace down the flanks.

He probably won't. If I were to take a guess at their starting line-up:

Harper

R. Taylor --- Coloccini --- Williamson --- Simpson

Ben Arfa --- Tiote --- Cabaye --- Guitierrez

Ameobi --- Ba

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:24 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:
Twoism wrote:Correct me if im wrong but will enrique play this match with his transfer on the verge? If he doesnt, Theo can do some serious damage there. What i like to see is some flashy pace down the flanks.

He probably won't. If I were to take a guess at their starting line-up:

Harper

R. Taylor --- Coloccini --- Williamson --- Simpson

Ben Arfa --- Tiote --- Cabaye --- Guitierrez

Ameobi --- Ba

Ben Arfa is injured and Williamson has'nt had a second of pre-season and we planned to play 4-4-1-1 this year so i think its more likely you will see this.....

Krul
Simpson Taylor Coloccini R.Taylor*
Obertan** Cabaye Tiote Gutierrez***
Gosling****
Ba

* Or Shane Ferguson
**Or Barton
*** Or Marveaux
**** Or Haris Vuckic
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:26 pm

Guess I wasn't too far off. I was complete guessing for some positions. Laughing

Obertan vs Traore: Epic battle in the making right there.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next