ChollaVille
Senor Penguin
zarola
Lex
izzy
Guiltybystander
20 posters

Go down

Should CL drafts be completely random? Empty Should CL drafts be completely random?

Post by Guiltybystander Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:53 pm

Wouldn't it be fairer for smaller clubs + more exciting for football, to get rid of the different pots used for the draft in the group phase?

Yes, that might mean we could get killer pools with Barcelona, Real Madrid, ManU and Bayern, and would thus make the the later rounds of the tournament somewhat less competitive. But it would also ensure we wouldn't get basically the same last 16/8 EVERY SINGLE SEASON (which is unfair to smaller teams, who will get less and less and less revenue + a bit "same old, same old").

You could use the argument that smaller teams need to beat all those other teams to win the whole thing anyway, but a team that might get knocked out straight by Barcelona or Chelsea, might find a way to make it past Porto, Valencia or Lyon and then make it to the semi-finals. The winner will have (indirectly) beaten all the others anyway, so you can't say the final outcome is less competitive.

I am a bit peeved that Real Madrid ends up playing Lyon AGAIN and that we can already predict that all the teams in the first pot will make it to the second round. Makes group-stages tedious.

Discuss,
Guiltybystander
Guiltybystander
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : wisla krakow

Back to top Go down

Should CL drafts be completely random? Empty Re: Should CL drafts be completely random?

Post by izzy Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:54 pm

What's the point?

Madrid will still get Lyon somehow and Utd will get a cake walk group.
izzy
izzy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Should CL drafts be completely random? Empty Re: Should CL drafts be completely random?

Post by Lex Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:55 pm

It would be good for the sport, but bad for business. And UEFA can't have that
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by zarola Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:56 pm

Are you kidding me? We already have villareal napoli and bayern munich in one group with other groups with bad teams and you want to make it even worse?
zarola
zarola
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:56 pm

This must really be easy for the journalists. They can just pick out last year's coverage on Champs League when we met Ajax and Lyon and just rehash it for this year's competition. It's not like much has changed anyway ...

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by ChollaVille Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:58 pm

So you wanna see some shity club in semi finals?
ChollaVille
ChollaVille
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Guiltybystander Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:02 pm

ChollaVille wrote:So you wanna see some shity club in semi finals?

So you rather see the same matches every single year?

Plus, in the long run, these "shitty clubs" will stay shitty clubs, as they can't ever compete with the teams that get the revenues and massive exposure every single year of playing in the outrounds, and will hence never be able to keep up. It is decreasing the overall competitiveness of football, as you will end up with some sort of major league.

Also, I don't see how this would make the overall tournament boring, as we would have the more interesting fixtures on paper during the group phase.
Guiltybystander
Guiltybystander
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : wisla krakow

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat_Hadder Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:03 pm

No, they should not be random

However, they shouldn't be fixed either Mad
Mat_Hadder
Mat_Hadder
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:05 pm

Yep. It would kill TV money and that's like sacred and cures cancer and shit. Also, compare the ammount of fans in the big clubs to the smaller ones.

Not happening, sadly.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:09 pm

I don't really agree with this idea.

You might get Manchester United, Barcelona, Milan, and Bayern all in the same group, and on the other hand you get a bunch of nobodies in the same group. It'll make the group stage exciting, but later on, you might find teams like matches are always a bit boring in the group stages, then they gradually become more exciting until they reach climax at the final.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by The BoyWonder Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:12 pm

it would be bad because there would be 2 groups containing: Madrid, Manu, Inter, Bayern. other group: Barca, Chelsea, Milan, Arsenal. This would mean that 4 great teams already out and much more easier for teams who progress from such groups to win 5-0 4-0 in the latter stages. not funny....last season quarterfinals were the most boring onesided and predictable ones in champions league history. no more of that please. i am actually feeling bad for group a, because there is 4 big clubs and 2 of them already out before round of 16, while teams like shaktar, marseille, benfica, zenith, lyon, porto etc gets easier progress. not good for competition -. my 2 cents

The BoyWonder
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:16 pm

I'll will support this if it mean Manchested United, Arsenal and Barcelon don't get easy group every time.
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

http://pose-grpp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:23 pm

Guiltybystander wrote:Yes, that might mean we could get killer pools with Barcelona, Real Madrid, ManU and Bayern, and would thus make the the later rounds of the tournament somewhat less competitive. But it would also ensure we wouldn't get basically the same last 16/8 EVERY SINGLE SEASON (which is unfair to smaller teams, who will get less and less and less revenue + a bit "same old, same old").

You are suggesting this because Real Madrid drew Lyon again this season ?

So you would rather have a Real Madrid vs United for instance in the group stage than in some point of the knockout rounds ?

Excitement should be reserved for the business end of the competition..Yes we would have a competitive and exciting group stage but kills all the excitement of having more number of glamorous encounters in the knockout rounds where the build-up and the hype is unparalleled really..

Smaller teams dont benefit a lot ,i agree with this..But purely from a viewership point of view where Uefa always looking to expand the ever-increasing popularity of the competition ,it could perhaps prove to be a disadvantage for them..So its better if it stays as it is..
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by The BoyWonder Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:25 pm

group a is imo very balanced, although with city as the slightly safest bet of the 4 to progress. i think this group will be determinded on how each teams fare at front of their own fans. I think Napoli can win their 3 home games, so can Bayern, Man City and Villareal, but I doubt any of these teams can win each other away.

The BoyWonder
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by spanky Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:43 pm

looking at the CL teams this year it seems that the competition is finally heading back to its old ways in which there were only top teams, all we need is for juve roma to step it up and get italy that 4th spot back.
spanky
spanky
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:44 pm

The BoyWonder wrote:group a is imo very balanced, although with city as the slightly safest bet of the 4 to progress. i think this group will be determinded on how each teams fare at front of their own fans. I think Napoli can win their 3 home games, so can Bayern, Man City and Villareal, but I doubt any of these teams can win each other away.

Why do you guys keep under-estimating Bayern...?

The only thing that might stop Bayern from not progressing easily will be injuries to key players otherwise we should handle this teams easily
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

http://pose-grpp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:45 pm

Nah I prefer the pots because that usually leaves the best teams for the knockouts.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat_Hadder Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:26 pm

The BoyWonder wrote:it would be bad because there would be 2 groups containing: Madrid, Manu, Inter, Bayern. other group: Barca, Chelsea, Milan, Arsenal. This would mean that 4 great teams already out and much more easier for teams who progress from such groups to win 5-0 4-0 in the latter stages. not funny....last season quarterfinals were the most boring onesided and predictable ones in champions league history. no more of that please. i am actually feeling bad for group a, because there is 4 big clubs and 2 of them already out before round of 16, while teams like shaktar, marseille, benfica, zenith, lyon, porto etc gets easier progress. not good for competition -. my 2 cents

Trust me with BvB and Arsenal we do not have it easy by any means
Mat_Hadder
Mat_Hadder
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:40 pm

First of all GBS <3

Secondly, the solution to all this would be to reintroduce the second group phase.

It'll solve all these problems IMO. The small teams Platini wants to compete will still get to enjoy the first group stage and we'll still get the glamour games in the second group stage.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by PinePHresh Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:52 pm

I will answer your question with another question: Are you gonna watch BATE play Plezn?
PinePHresh
PinePHresh
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by che Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:05 pm

bs... if the small clubs are any good they should be able to pull off upsets, it's ridiculous to give them a free pass... imho even the current model with the "champions" and "non champions" route to cl is stupid, i'd much rather see udinese in the group stage than otelulz or whatever they're called...
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:12 pm

I would like to watch Real Madrid vs Manchester United a million times rather than watch Arsenal vs Porto.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by HscouserZ Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:37 pm

there shold be some fixed variables u know like they should rank clubs which are the strongest , for example rank one : arsenal, man utd, barca, real madrd etc...
rank two: dortmound , fc port etc...
rank three: shakhtar etc..
rank four: Bate
u know so that in the final stages we can see some exciting football and u wouldn't see teams like schalke in the semis ( eventhough they were really good last year ) anyway its just an opinion
HscouserZ
HscouserZ
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Daniels Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:54 am

Reintroduce the 2nd group stage phase. Problem solved.
Jack Daniels
Jack Daniels
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down