De Laurentiis wants 16-team Serie A

3 posters

Go down

De Laurentiis wants 16-team Serie A Empty De Laurentiis wants 16-team Serie A

Post by Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:33 am

Napoli President Aurelio De Laurentiis has revolutionary ideas. “I’d make Serie A 16 teams without relegation and form a European League.”

The Hollywood mogul took ownership of the club when it was bankrupt and in Serie C, taking them all the way to the Champions League.

“We have told the FIGC thousands of times that we can’t keep going like this. Why don’t we reduce Serie A to 18 and then become 16?” he told Sky Sport Italia.

“Even the fact there are relegations is madness, in my view. I’d make Serie A 16 teams, trying out a system where nobody gets relegated, but rather they pay penalties."

It would not be an entirely new situation, as Serie A had 16 teams from 1934-43 and 1967-88. The League only expanded to 20 teams in 2004.

“Then I’d form a European Super League with 40 clubs, including the top eight from Spain, Germany, Italy, England and France.

“I’d abolish the Europa League, which brings no money or interest. I’d also abolish the Champions League, as it is run by UEFA and provides only a tenth of the income we’d have with this genuine European Super League.”

De Laurentiis also took time to comment on the troubles of Inter Coach Gian Piero Gasperini, who had been the hot favourite to replace Walter Mazzarri during a contract dispute this summer.

“I am fond of Gasperini. He’s a great Coach and has his own style of football. I considered him because Napoli already had a three-man defence.

“I knew full well that if I’d stopped working with Mazzarri and started with Gasperini, I’d wait to judge until the second year, not the second game.”
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Camurrìa.Sto.Stronzo
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

De Laurentiis wants 16-team Serie A Empty Re: De Laurentiis wants 16-team Serie A

Post by Swanhends Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:36 am

De Laurentiis is more sane than Moratti

Were doomed :facepalm:
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

De Laurentiis wants 16-team Serie A Empty Re: De Laurentiis wants 16-team Serie A

Post by Guest Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:22 am

I don't see the point in the no relegation league. What would happen to clubs that go under or fall into financial difficulty and "liquidate" all their players? They would finish last each season.

As for the European Super League, this is no revolution. Galliani, that Bayern dude and many others have spoken about it countless times. It could happen...

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:01 pm

So he wants a closed society now that Napoli is in the 1st division again so that they can't fall down again? Very Happy

IMO a no relegation league is totally stupid - how will you get new blood in then?
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum