flameas
narbeZ
Patrick Bateman
ErPupone
McLewis
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A look at the goalkeeper situation. Empty A look at the goalkeeper situation.

Post by McLewis Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:09 pm

So Doni's definitely leaving. This much is 100% confirmed.

Is he going to Liverpool? I really have my doubts about that honestly.

Julio Sergio's been linked with a host of clubs, primarily in Italy and I think he's about 75% poised to leave as well.

So that leaves, Lobont, who will probably play 2nd or 3rd fiddle behind whoever gets brought in.

Here are some of the mentioned candidates in the past month

Rafael Santos

Highly touted for his displays in the Copa Libertadores against CA America, the 22-year old Brazilian has been linked with us for sometime, but his arrival looks unlikely thus far.

Stefano Sorrentino

Only a matter of time before links with the Chievo keeper showed up. We were heavily linked with him last summer, but nothing happened. With Pioli gone and Chievo's fortune's on the wane, perhaps he may be a surprise option.

Asmir Begovic

Canadian-born Bosnian Begovic is a bit of a journeyman in England, having played for 7 clubs in the last 5 seasons, with 32 caps for Stoke City being his latest accomplishment. Strong on crosses and possessing good handling on shots, the 23-year old would make a studious addition to the squad.

Emiliano Viviano

Considered our top option right now. He owes gradual rise to the rank of Gigi's understudy to his excellent displays for Bologna. He's at the right age where he needs to prove to everyone that he's capable of putting in those same exact displays for more illustrious clubs such as ours.

Gianluigi Buffon

Easily the least likely of the bunch to make the trip south. A new Conte-led Juve would be nuts to let him go when he's still among the best keepers in Europe on his day.

Samir Handanovic

With Giampaolo Pozzo practically dismantling Udinese's well oiled machine with the impending exits of Alexis Sanchez, Kwadwo Asamoah and Cristian Zapata. Slovenian Handanovic has also been subject to a host of transfer rumors and we've been right in the thick of group of suitors for the 26-year old. One of the best penalty-stoppers in Europe and would be very much welcome in Rome.

Federico Marchetti

Had a tumultuous season with Cagliari this season as his antics in the the summer saw him lose his spot to Michael Agazzi, who to his credit, did admirably for the Sardinians. Marchetti has been subject to an understated bidding war between us and Lazio, with our Curva Nord rivals currently having the upperhand as we begin to turn our heads towards more dependable options.

Stephane Ruffier

The least heralded of our targets this summer. Having seen his beloved Monaco relegated to Ligue 2, 24-year old captain Ruffier is reportedly ready to jump ship, with Italy as his choice destination. One of France's lesser known keepers as he's continually in the shadow of Hugo Lloris and Steve Mandanda. He will be seen through skeptic eyes as a bit of an unknown quantity despite being Monaco's first choice shot-stopper.

Gianluca Curci

Would make for a fairytale signing. Roman-born and bred, he was our great hope when he emerged from the Primavera as our 3rd choice keeper, but wasn't given enough time and sought greener pastures and found them with Siena and then Sampdoria. He's a proven keeper now and I believe he's ready to step up and be keeper he's beginning to show glimpses of being.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

A look at the goalkeeper situation. Empty Re: A look at the goalkeeper situation.

Post by ErPupone Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:55 pm

Salvatore Sirigu is always an option as well, while Storari seems to be edging closer to Lazio.
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

A look at the goalkeeper situation. Empty Re: A look at the goalkeeper situation.

Post by McLewis Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:18 pm

I was bound to forget someone lol....Sirigu was also heavily linked, as was Storari....but with Muslera about to leave, I think Lazio will move far quicker than us to wrap up a deal for him.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Bateman Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:16 pm

Yeah i like Sirigu as well but i don't want us to go paying a ridiculous amount of money to get him...

Curci I'm not so sure about him,the last 2 clubs he has played for have both been relegated ....
Best keep away from him me thinks...
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:54 pm

Sirigu or Curci for me. :coffee:

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Bateman Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:57 pm

sciacca wrote:Sirigu or Curci for me. :coffee:

Curci isn't good enough... :coffee:
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:02 pm

The Fonz wrote:
sciacca wrote:Sirigu or Curci for me. :coffee:

Curci isn't good enough... :coffee:

He's Romanista, so I don't mind. :coffee:

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:03 pm

I would love to see Curci in a Roma shirt again, but I have my doubts over him, I don't think he's good enough. But of course, he would be the most determined out of all of those and deserves a shot at making the big jump.

Handanovic would be a safe pick. He saved an astonishing 9 penalties last season if I'm not mistaken. Sirigu and Viviano are the other likely candidates.

Edit: Whoah I just noticed that Begovic is Canadian! Screw Curci, let's get this guy!
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:06 pm

ErPupone wrote:I would love to see Curci in a Roma shirt again, but I have my doubts over him, I don't think he's good enough. But of course, he would be the most determined out of all of those and deserves a shot at making the big jump.

Handanovic would be a safe pick. He saved an astonishing 9 penalties last season if I'm not mistaken. Sirigu and Viviano are the other likely candidates.

Edit: Whoah I just noticed that Begovic is Canadian! Screw Curci, let's get this guy!

Handanovic is a great pick. I rate him one of the best current keepers right now in Serie A. Ofcourse there's always in my opinion underrated guys like Gilete from Bari.

No screw the Canadian guy! hehe !
CANADIANS DON'T FIT IN SERIE A ! Evil or Very Mad Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:19 pm

sciacca wrote:
ErPupone wrote:I would love to see Curci in a Roma shirt again, but I have my doubts over him, I don't think he's good enough. But of course, he would be the most determined out of all of those and deserves a shot at making the big jump.

Handanovic is a great pick. I rate him one of the best current keepers right now in Serie A. Ofcourse there's always in my opinion underrated guys like Gilete from Bari.

Challenge Accepted...

http://www.ontariosoccer.ca/OSABlog/?p=452
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:21 pm

ErPupone wrote:
sciacca wrote:

Challenge Accepted...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Evil or Very Mad

I'm just kidding with you.

By the way, if he's actually good in Serie A? Why don't they use him as goalie for the Canadian National team?

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:29 pm

sciacca wrote:
ErPupone wrote:
sciacca wrote:

Challenge Accepted...

By the way, if he's actually good in Serie A? Why don't they use him as goalie for the Canadian National team?

Because he chose to play for Bosnia and Herzegovina instead.
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:31 pm

ErPupone wrote:
sciacca wrote:
ErPupone wrote:
sciacca wrote:

Challenge Accepted...

Because he chose to play for Bosnia and Herzegovina instead.

Ah good choice for him then Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:32 pm

Big time
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by narbeZ Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:37 pm

Yeah I'm thinking we need some Canadian in the squad to truly maximize our potential. Even if just as a backup. Lets get Begovic!

All kidding aside, I hope J.Sergio doesn't leave. I wouldn't mind seeing the "Situation" from Chievo join us, he is a good keeper.

Viviano is out of the realm of possibility, Curci may or may not be good enough, probably too big of a gamble, and I actually think Udinese will hold on to Handanovic.

I'm worried about our back end as a whole though with Enrique coming in. I don't really think it will matter on 80% of the goals we concede who's in net this year. I expect a lot of head shaking and sighs from us Romanistas in the early going at least.

Burdisso might lose his sh*t though...

A look at the goalkeeper situation. Nicolas+Burdisso+CEQz0CcK0_cm
narbeZ
narbeZ
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:24 am

narbeZ wrote:Yeah I'm thinking we need some Canadian in the squad to truly maximize our potential. Even if just as a backup. Lets get Begovic!

All kidding aside, I hope J.Sergio doesn't leave. I wouldn't mind seeing the "Situation" from Chievo join us, he is a good keeper.

Viviano is out of the realm of possibility, Curci may or may not be good enough, probably too big of a gamble, and I actually think Udinese will hold on to Handanovic.

I'm worried about our back end as a whole though with Enrique coming in. I don't really think it will matter on 80% of the goals we concede who's in net this year. I expect a lot of head shaking and sighs from us Romanistas in the early going at least.

Burdisso might lose his sh*t though...

A look at the goalkeeper situation. Nicolas+Burdisso+CEQz0CcK0_cm

Yea that's really my only worry with Enrique coming in, but it's a pretty big worry. That's why despite any big signings we make this summer, I'm not going to let myself get carried away and set high expectations. It's going to take a lot of patience on our part. Good point in saying it won't matter who is in goal on 80% of the goals conceded, but we're going to need a solid keeper who could save our ass often enough, like Julio Sergio last year.
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Bateman Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:01 am

Another name no one has mentioned is Boruc..I like him i think he could do well at Roma ..Plus he wouldn't cost much...
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by flameas Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:31 am

Curci or Handanovic. Not that expensive, but good options.
flameas
flameas
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by JAY-Z Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:48 am

Fonz bro, what is the "love" that you keep giving for Boruc? He aint nothing trust me, i've watched Fiorentina this season, he isnt nothing special.And he is old.Curci for me.
JAY-Z
JAY-Z
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:48 am

Boruc was boss for Celtic a few years back...He's done rather well for Fio in Frey's absence honestly. Makes himself big when he needs to be, commands his area well, but is guilty of flapping at crosses and bad distribution. He'd be a less attractive option for us, but we could do much, much worse.

Gillet is indeed one of the underrated keepers in Italy and it'll be a shame if no one snatches him up from Bari. He's got great all-around skill: good handling, good decision making, commands and organizes well, leads from the back...
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Bateman Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:36 pm

metinsk wrote:Fonz bro, what is the "love" that you keep giving for Boruc? He aint nothing trust me, i've watched Fiorentina this season, he isnt nothing special.And he is old.Curci for me.

Well he's better than Doni ... Very Happy
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Bateman Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:41 pm

McLewis wrote:Boruc was boss for Celtic a few years back...He's done rather well for Fio in Frey's absence honestly. Makes himself big when he needs to be, commands his area well, but is guilty of flapping at crosses and bad distribution. He'd be a less attractive option for us, but we could do much, much worse.

Gillet is indeed one of the underrated keepers in Italy and it'll be a shame if no one snatches him up from Bari. He's got great all-around skill: good handling, good decision making, commands and organizes well, leads from the back...

Another keeper that i have mentioned in the past...Gillet would be a good buy imho i know he's getting on but still i think he has a good 3 or 4 season left in him maybe more he's only 31..But sadly i can't see him leaving Bari he's been there since 2000 very loyal to Bari,he really seems to love that club and you have to respect him for that...
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sukrut23 Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:19 am

before we look for a replacement we should get rid of doni :p
sukrut23
sukrut23
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by JAY-Z Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:39 am

sukrut23 wrote:before we look for a replacement we should get rid of doni :p

Supposedly, there is an agreement with Liverpool.He is going in the next week or two.Thank GOD Very Happy
JAY-Z
JAY-Z
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick Bateman Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:09 pm

Sunday 12 June, 2011
Roma look to Stekelenburg

Roma continue their search for a goalkeeper and, after Sergio Romero, turn their attention to Maarten Stekelenburg.

It is well known that Alexander Doni is on his way out of the Stadio Olimpico, most likely towards Liverpool, while Julio Sergio is wanted by Genoa.

New Coach Luis Enrique wants a strong shot-stopper to be guarding the sticks and several names have already been mentioned.

The favourite had been AZ Alkmaar’s Argentina international Sergio Romero.

According to the Corriere dello Sport this morning, Stekelenburg is the new prime suspect.

He brings international experience at Ajax and Holland, while his contract expires in June 2012, so he’ll be available for just €8m.

Stekelenburg is considered to be one of the best goalkeepers in the world and had also been linked with Manchester United.

The same newspaper suggests John Arne Riise will return to the Premier League for Newcastle United.

His replacement at left-back could well be Arsenal’s Gael Clichy, who is also of interest to Juventus

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a steal that would be...
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum