How to get better at defending in FIFA 12?

+5
LeSwagg James
Giggslegend
Seth
The Madrid One
BarrileteCosmico
9 posters

Go down

How to get better at defending in FIFA 12? Empty How to get better at defending in FIFA 12?

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:15 am

I asked this question before but it just got lost in the dozens of pages in the FIFA 12 thread, so now that we have our own section for it I can actually start a thread about it. I particularly struggle with timing my tackles, which makes me not tackle, but sometimes this is not the best strategy (especially in the box). So how do you improve your timing? what methods have you guys found that work?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

How to get better at defending in FIFA 12? Empty Re: How to get better at defending in FIFA 12?

Post by The Madrid One Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:34 am

i rarely use the b (tackle) button.

its better to jockey using a and use rb to bring in as however many defenders you need to help you out.

its called tactical defending for a reason, you have to know how to defend so that you dont end up conceding, 1 on 1 if you cant take the ball off of them by either pressuring them and then tackling them then you will lose, but if you begin to push the rb button and your defenders come in and leave gaps, the opponents will just turn around and pass through the gaps.

overall you need 3 basic things.

you need to learn how to defend as a unit, and keep your shape.
you got to learn what the controls are and when to use them.
ansd you have the be decisive.

against legendary i cant count the times i have am winnin 2-0, 3-0, or even at 0-0, the enemies cant get through the defense, but if i become to passive and just pressure them instead of actually using the b button, they will cross and score so much that its unbelievable.

only use the tackle button when you know you will actually get the ball.
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

How to get better at defending in FIFA 12? Empty Re: How to get better at defending in FIFA 12?

Post by Seth Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:03 am

I think the timing of pressing the tackle button is very vital. If you pressed them too early or too late, it will not do anything, unlike in 11 where you may still tackle correctly even though you timed your challenge wrongly.

That and the use of walking defense.

Seth
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Giggslegend Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:47 am

go on controller settings and switch to legacy defending (the same place you choose assisted or manaul passing, through balls, crossing etc)

Then you have the defending of the old fifas back
Giggslegend
Giggslegend
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Simple almost never use the standing tackle button lol.....

Tactical defending completely eliminated pressing, there's nothing I hate more than having to wait to get the ball back... I don't care about the 'homing missile system' of FIFA 11, I just want to be able to press ffs
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:07 pm

Swagg_Johnson wrote:Simple almost never use the standing tackle button lol.....

Tactical defending completely eliminated pressing, there's nothing I hate more than having to wait to get the ball back... I don't care about the 'homing missile system' of FIFA 11, I just want to be able to press ffs

That's not true, i know people that press very effectively i even myself press very well at times, the key is to press as a team in groups of 2s and 3s like Barca lol.....

Also if you time it well the standing tackle button is very good, some of my best games have come where i timed my standing tackles very well.....

Usually this usually coincides with expert finishing lol but still.....

Anyway the overall key to get good at defending is learning how to press as a team and time your tackles well, i myself normally try to win the ball back as quick as possible and usually do so in midfield or higher up the pitch seeing as iam a very direct-passing on the ground counter attack style of player.....

I have been told iam very unpredictable lol aswell which i believe if iam honest Laughing
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:51 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:
Swagg_Johnson wrote:Simple almost never use the standing tackle button lol.....

That's not true, i know people that press very effectively i even myself press very well at times, the key is to press as a team in groups of 2s and 3s like Barca lol.....

Also if you time it well the standing tackle button is very good, some of my best games have come where i timed my standing tackles very well.....

Usually this usually coincides with expert finishing lol but still.....

Anyway the overall key to get good at defending is learning how to press as a team and time your tackles well, i myself normally try to win the ball back as quick as possible and usually do so in midfield or higher up the pitch seeing as iam a very direct-passing on the ground counter attack style of player.....

I have been told iam very unpredictable lol aswell which i believe if iam honest Laughing

When you press with a team mate they run up to the player with the ball and just stop like a bunch of females... And one mistimed standing tackle and the player is gone... I have yet to play 1 player that has pressed me effectively, I have been beaten and defended well against sure... But not pressed ever

How to get better at defending in FIFA 12? Drogba
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:54 pm

Does anyone actually even use the tackle button? The CPU should automatically tackle for you.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by punkfusion1992 Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:54 pm

dont pressure too much
dont leave space for pacy wingers
dont commit too early(that is suicide)
and when a player gets ready to shoot, just slide near him and it will put him off
punkfusion1992
punkfusion1992
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:47 pm

Not to different from real football.

Dont dive into any tackles unless you are in an advantageous position, i.e numerical suporioirty in a tight area, or have no other option. Especially on the wings and arond the box.

Let the CPU control the player closest to the ball (press the jockey press button if its an ideal position) while you cut of passing angles with other players.

Pressing is pretty hard, you need to keep great possession to get all your players in the opponant half so when you lose it you can charge quickly and have support around you. Pressing by yourself with our teammates sitting deep is a waste of your time and will only frustrate you.

Basically, stand off and try and clog up space rather then tackle. Dont get frustrated without possession and charge around trying to win it, as hard as that can be.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down