che
Sushi Master
The Madrid One
BiasedMilanFan3
Albiceleste
45 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Most overrated game ever? - Page 4 Empty Re: Most overrated game ever?

Post by Twoism Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:24 pm

zizzle wrote:
Sushi Master wrote:
zizzle wrote:
Twoism wrote:Fable series, listen to Molyneux, you would think its 2nd coming of Jesus. Turn out just big mess, everything was there as he promise just 100 times worse. Fable 2 last boss was voted by lots of ppls as the most dissapointing boss fight ever.

Fable 1 was awesome ! but somehow the game took a huge dip in the 2nd and 3rd editions. Boss fight in the 3rd game is even worse ! the game is very disappointing except for the twist in the final chapter
I agree, Fable 1 was amazing.

Babun recommended I play this game called Overlord. I only found the 2nd, but it has the same "feel" as the Fable games, while being completely fun and awesome. I recommend you try it out if you liked Fable.

i just looked at some videos and it looks like the type of game id enjoy, but will these annoying minions be there for a long time ?

Sorry quote wrongly before, stupid phone

Some but not many, if u like to try out, play fable 1 then stop, you would appreciate it a lots more. Number 2 & 3 are dumbed down versions of it. You will become GOD very early in game, the combat is too simple, the challege is nice but since u are god rewards become useless.

Last edited by Twoism on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:57 pm

im no longer misquated banana

Last edited by zizzle on Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:19 am

RealGunner wrote:
RedOranje wrote:FFVII - cliched writing, 1-dimensional characters, slow plot progression, and cut and dry turn-based gameplay.

Hardly anything to set it apart from other JRPGs and yet it's talked about as though it's some genre-defining body of work shat out by the gods of gaming themselves. Overrated in the extreme.

have you actually played the whole game lol ?
We've discussed this before. You know I have.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Seppuku Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:29 am

FFVII is most certainly a genre defining game, and frankly anyone who say's otherwise doesn't know much about JRPG's.

Actually, scrap that. Final Fantasy 7 redefined the whole industry.
Seppuku
Seppuku
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:05 am

Seppuku wrote:FFVII is most certainly a genre defining game, and frankly anyone who say's otherwise doesn't know much about JRPG's.

It's always nice to see someone attempt to pass off their opinion as fact.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:48 am

Seppuku wrote:FFVII is most certainly a genre defining game, and frankly anyone who say's otherwise doesn't know much about JRPG's.

Good joke, good joke.

At least I hope you're not serious.

RedOranje wrote:
Hardly anything to set it apart from other JRPGs and yet it's talked about as though it's some genre-defining body of work shat out by the gods of gaming themselves. Overrated in the extreme.

Because it was the first FF for the Playstation generation who sympathised with the incessant emo-ness of Cloud & Sepiroth and mourned and cut themselves for two weeks when Aerith died. I'm willing to bet that 70% of those who played FF7 before FF6/III was ported to PS stopped after 3 minutes because of ZOMGNOT3D & because there was no Tifa to fap to.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:10 am

And that's why it's the best game ever
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Seppuku Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:38 am

Joke?

Pretty much every gaming magazine puts FFVII as one of the most influential and ground breaking games ever made. Most certainty in the RPG category.

Anyways, I would've been okay with calling the game over-rated (hey the Godfather is overrated to some). But saying it's not "genre defining" and making it out to be just some standard run of the mill JRPG, well that's just silly.

Seppuku
Seppuku
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:23 am

che wrote:
Lord Spencer wrote:

So the greatness of a game is due to the complexity and number of buttons it uses, not the fun it generates. It's understandable that its not your cup of tea, but to dismiss everyone who liked and enjoyed Mario games as hipsters is a bit moronic.

yes, complexity is the difference between great games and games that you play on your phone when you're taking a shit

i didn't dismiss everyone who liked mario, i dismissed people who were treating galaxy like the second coming of jesus, which if you look at reviews was A LOT, because the sole gameplay element is, as i already mentioned, jumping over stuff... if you're entertained by that good for you, i've got different standards and that's why i think it's an overrated game

@ zizzle - i played mario the first time when i was like 9, nothing to do with graphics...

That is completely ridiculous, games are supposed to be fun. If they generate fun regardless of control scheme's, story, graphics, or anything. Then they are rated. Many complex games are inferior to simpler games.

And while some complexity adds tons of fun to some games, the simplicity of other games inherently makes them fun. Not to mention that some games are more complex than what they seem. Mario Galaxy is an engineering masterclass and is being taught in graphic schools all over the U.S. Jumping over stuff was and is fun for a number of people. And I agree than anyone who treats any game as the GOAT is just being moronic, as is anyone being biased against any game or genre from the outset. They are the one missing out on the fun to be had.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:38 am

Twoism wrote:
zizzle wrote:
Sushi Master wrote:
zizzle wrote:
Twoism wrote:Fable series, listen to Molyneux, you would think its 2nd coming of Jesus. Turn out just big mess, everything was there as he promise just 100 times worse. Fable 2 last boss was voted by lots of ppls as the most dissapointing boss fight ever.

Fable 1 was awesome ! but somehow the game took a huge dip in the 2nd and 3rd editions. Boss fight in the 3rd game is even worse ! the game is very disappointing except for the twist in the final chapter
I agree, Fable 1 was amazing.

Babun recommended I play this game called Overlord. I only found the 2nd, but it has the same "feel" as the Fable games, while being completely fun and awesome. I recommend you try it out if you liked Fable.

i just looked at some videos and it looks like the type of game id enjoy, but will these annoying minions be there for a long time ?

Sorry quote wrongly before, stupid phone

Some but not many, if u like to try out, play fable 1 then stop, you would appreciate it a lots more. Number 2 & 3 are dumbed down versions of it. You will become GOD very early in game, the combat is too simple, the challege is nice but since u are god rewards become useless.

i did actually play fable 1, it was magical to say the least, thats why i repeated it 5 times and still want to play it once i have more time. And other than becoming godly pretty fast, the emotional aspect of the game in Fable 1, that atmosphere and engagement, and the feelings you develope towards other characters in the game, that aspect was gone ! add to that the the story lines were never as good as the first one and the whole thing was just predictable.
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by che Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:10 pm

Lord Spencer wrote:

That is completely ridiculous, games are supposed to be fun. If they generate fun regardless of control scheme's, story, graphics, or anything. Then they are rated. Many complex games are inferior to simpler games.

And while some complexity adds tons of fun to some games, the simplicity of other games inherently makes them fun. Not to mention that some games are more complex than what they seem. Mario Galaxy is an engineering masterclass and is being taught in graphic schools all over the U.S. Jumping over stuff was and is fun for a number of people. And I agree than anyone who treats any game as the GOAT is just being moronic, as is anyone being biased against any game or genre from the outset. They are the one missing out on the fun to be had.

yes, simplicity is fun in games like angry birds or tetris, i like doing stuff other than left/right/jump when i'm playing games

as i sad before, it's MY OPINION that mario is a massively overrated game and though i hate playing the opinion card, in this case there's no basis for disproving it so you can keep enjoying jumping over gaps between platforms, noone's taking that away from you
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:24 pm

che wrote:
Lord Spencer wrote:

yes, simplicity is fun in games like angry birds or tetris, i like doing stuff other than left/right/jump when i'm playing games

as i sad before, it's MY OPINION that mario is a massively overrated game and though i hate playing the opinion card, in this case there's no basis for disproving it so you can keep enjoying jumping over gaps between platforms, noone's taking that away from you

I am not discussing your opinion about Mario here, I am just using at as an example, so you don't enjoy jumping, that is your preference. I am discussing your notion of complexity = fun, ratings. Which makes no sense, a Rupe Goldberg Machine is a very complex machine that does a very basic task, its not suddenly more useful than another machine that does the same task but is less complex.

You can have good music with a minimal amount of notes, just as you can have a good game with a minimal amount of complexity in the game play. The reason football is highly rated all over is its simplicity, it can't get more simple than kicking a ball into a net, all other rules are common sense. Hell, if football was more complex, it wouldn't be as popular today.

Again, you are entitled to your opinion, and you are right that gaming is inherently subjective. In fact, most people if they stick with a game for 3 hours would then proceed to try and complete it, just like people would like listing to a song if they are bombarded by it 100 times. Complexity is necessary for some games, as is graphics to others, and story to some. However, none are as integral to a game as game-play, immersion, and fun.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Nature Boy Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:25 pm

MASS EFFECT
The Nature Boy
The Nature Boy
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Nature Boy Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:29 pm

and as a side note...

some games are ony complex if you choose to play them in a complex manner. As che said, its all opinion and it sucks to have to play that card, but consider this example.

If you are just nasty/filthy/god at Super Mario, you can play it as fast as possible, learning all the intricacies of when and where to jump, wehn to run, which enemies to ignore, etc... to the point where the game becomes incredibly complex. Another example is Marble Blast Ultra (simplest game of all time: u play as a marble that just rolls, and u can bounce it with the a button)... the game is simple as hell if u just roll from start to finish but when u start getting good and want to finish levels waaaaay under target times, the game gets incredibly intricate/complex and really pushes the simple control scheme and setuup to the limit

again, just an opinion, but i feel that simple games can be made complex if u want them to be
The Nature Boy
The Nature Boy
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Nature Boy Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:33 pm

Phritz wrote:

Good joke, good joke.

At least I hope you're not serious.

RedOranje wrote:

Because it was the first FF for the Playstation generation who sympathised with the incessant emo-ness of Cloud & Sepiroth and mourned and cut themselves for two weeks when Aerith died. I'm willing to bet that 70% of those who played FF7 before FF6/III was ported to PS stopped after 3 minutes because of ZOMGNOT3D & because there was no Tifa to fap to.

ur probably right about FFVII. I love the game, also a genre defining game I agree with Seppuku, but TBF its not even the best game in the FF series...

FF 4 or FF 6 are the best when it comes to all encompassing gameplay, story, music, graphocs at the time, etc. 7 was a new era mega success because of all the buzz about the PS1, and all the groundbreaking shit it included. But, when it comes down to it, there are better games in the series than 7. Most overrated game ever? not IMO, but certainly not the best ever either IMO.
The Nature Boy
The Nature Boy
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Nature Boy Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:34 pm

Fable is also horribly overrated... poormans ES/FO
The Nature Boy
The Nature Boy
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:43 pm

RedOranje wrote:FFVII

We have a winner.

Not that I didn't like it. The game's good but I don't why there's so mush fanboyism.

Mabye it's Tifa?
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:50 pm

RedOranje wrote:FFVII -slow plot progression.

Just this. The beginning was sort of.........bland. Struggled my way towards Temple Of The Ancients.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:55 pm

One more thing I'd like to throw here.

I haven't like the new Mario games much, tbh. The only games Mario based I even play now are the Paper Mario Series.

Strikers Series too. Laughing
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:48 pm

Last Mario game I played was on N64.

And it was pretty awesome.

I personally am intrigued by Galaxy 1 and 2.

Would be the only reason I could be persuaded to waste money on a Wii at this point.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:05 pm

No Zelda? Shocked
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:49 pm

Lord Hispano wrote:No Zelda? Shocked

Well I never got into Zelda honestly. Never played one game of the series sadly.

I'm a chronological guy. Can't just jump into the series. I'd have to start all the way back at NES with the very first game, which I may actually consider doing.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:52 pm

Stay away from the CDI series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-i_games_from_The_Legend_of_Zelda_series
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:57 pm

I think the Tom Clancy games are pretty over rated as well.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:29 pm

RealGunner wrote:I think the Tom Clancy games are pretty over rated as well.
They've been shit ever since Raven Shield, IMO.

The original Ghost Recon was class.

Sadly, it's all twitch shooters nowadays Sad
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:29 pm

Ghost Recon, yes, didnt like any I played.

COD, i played WW2 series and MW1, after no, but sounds like its just a scripted movie again and again.

Contra on Gameboy -_-

Gothic 3 and Corsairs 3 most hyped in their series, failed completely

Mafia 2 (a step back)

Fifa series (most overrated sports simulator)

Punisher (poor mans Max Payne)

NFS ofc
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next