The Messiah
Grande_Milano
Ali
Adit
lenear1030
Raptorgunner
16 posters

Go down

Ibrahimovic says Onyewu broke his rib in brawl Empty Ibrahimovic says Onyewu broke his rib in brawl

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:46 pm

STOCKHOLM - AC Milan striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic says he broke a rib in a brawl with United States defender Oguchi Onyewu that could have "ended badly" had they not been separated by team mates.

In an autobiography sent to The Associated Press on Wednesday, Ibrahimovic says the two players "wanted to destroy each other" in the fight which started after the hot-tempered Swede launched a dangerous tackle on Onyewu in a Nov. 5, 2010, training session with Milan.

"I'm not talking about a small row," Ibrahimovic writes. "It was like life and death."
ADVERTISEMENT

Once things cooled down the players shook hands and it was only later that Ibrahimovic found out that he had a broken rib.

Staying true to his bad-boy image in the book, Ibrahimovic also describes a series of rows with other players and coaches during his career, including an expletive-ridden outburst at Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola.

Ibrahimovic joined Barcelona in 2009 in a $66 million deal that sent striker Samuel Eto'o to Inter. He scored 16 goals in the Spanish league but often struggled to fit into Barcelona's intricate passing schemes.

The Swede blamed Guardiola for his failure, saying his game suffered when the coach met Lionel Messi's request to play in a more prominent role in the centre instead of on the flank.

"It's like you bought a Ferrari and drive it like a Fiat," Ibrahimovic said of his role in the shadow of Messi, whom he praised as a great player.

Ibrahimovic is full of praise for Fabio Capello, the current England manager who was his coach at Juventus, and Jose Mourinho, the former Inter Milan coach who is now at Real Madrid.

"If Mourinho lights up a room, Guardiola pulls down the curtains," Ibrahimovic says in the book, co-written with Swedish author David Lagercrantz.

Ibrahimovic says he felt like an outcast among the clean cut "school boys" on the Barcelona squad and even thought about quitting football. Instead he joined AC Milan in 2010, choosing the Italian club over Manchester City.

"City could surely become a great club in a few years. But I was about to turn 29. I didn't have time for long-term plans, and money was never the key thing," he says. "I wanted to go to a team that could be good now and no club in Europe had a history like Milan."

The 30-year-old forward says his personality was shaped by his Balkan roots and upbringing in a rough-and-tumble immigrant neighbourhood of Malmo, in southern Sweden.

Ibrahimovic says his parents split when he was two and the family struggled with alcohol and drug abuse. He got involved in petty crimes including bicycle theft and shoplifting and says he would probably have ended up a career criminal had he not focused on football.

"I was a savage, a lunatic, and I couldn't control my temper," Ibrahimovic says. That remained an issue — on and off the field — as he moved from local club Malmo FF to Ajax, and then to Juventus and Inter Milan.

He says he threatened to break Rafael van der Vaart's legs at Ajax and punched Frenchman Jonathan Zebina in the face after a "brutal" tackle during training with Juventus.

He also a shows a rare soft spot, describing the emotion that came over him when Inter's hardcore fans celebrated the birth of his first son, with a banner saying "Welcome Maximilian" in Italian.

"It was so beautiful that I wanted to cry," Ibrahimovic says. "Those fans don't play around. They are tough guys and I would have hard fights with them. But now, what can I say? It was Italy at its best."

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/soccer
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Ibrahimovic says Onyewu broke his rib in brawl Empty Re: Ibrahimovic says Onyewu broke his rib in brawl

Post by lenear1030 Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:09 pm

the more stories i keep hearing from the book the better. i almost want to go buy it now
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Ibrahimovic says Onyewu broke his rib in brawl Empty Re: Ibrahimovic says Onyewu broke his rib in brawl

Post by Adit Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:22 pm

I want a copy too lol
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:26 pm

This book keeps getting better and better, I want one now for sure. Very Happy
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:27 pm

"Those fans don't play around. They are tough guys and I would have hard fights with them. But now, what can I say? It was Italy at its best."

he is obsessed with fights lol
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:02 pm

Bestseller, Ibra is Dostoevsky's reincarnation))
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by The Messiah Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:17 pm

Did he talk about how Van Bommel nearly destroyed him
The Messiah
The Messiah
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Chelsea

http://pose-grpp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:17 pm

Ibra. :bow:

So humble.
So respectful. eco smile

I want this book as soon as I can get it.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by JAY-Z Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:41 pm

Im looking for this book, any copy on the internet?
JAY-Z
JAY-Z
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:42 pm

Good luck unless you speak Swedish...
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:47 pm

Google translate FTW.

This should be a movie :bow:
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by izzy Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:49 pm

Considering learning Swedish. Must read this book.
izzy
izzy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:50 pm

heard the book is very unpopular in italy
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zees Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:49 pm

lucky i can swedish Laughing
Zees
Zees
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by uzonero Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:56 pm

never a dull moment with ibra
uzonero
uzonero
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Eivindo Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:36 pm

luckily I can read swedish too, gotta get this one
Eivindo
Eivindo
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:05 pm

Ibra vs Onyewu, what an epic fight that would be...

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down