Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Maths- Gym for Brainiacs  - Page 17 Empty Re: Maths- Gym for Brainiacs

Post by kiranr Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:13 pm

Is the distance traveled by Alaba an inverse exponential function?
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:28 pm

kiranr wrote:
Is the distance traveled by Alaba an inverse exponential function?
I don't know. I haven't solved the question, yet. The question is just an idea how it should work but I'm sure it's solvable, theoretically eco smile
It's up to you how to solve this eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:42 pm

How the hell do you come up with these questions?

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:27 pm

beatrixasdfghjk. wrote:How the hell do you come up with these questions?
Exercise books or some theoretical background where I fit a question frame around it. Alaba question is one from theoretical backgorund. Basically, a curve meets a straight line eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:45 pm

Okay, what I'm trying at the moment: you let theta be a tiny, tiny angle, such that tan theta = x/35, where x is the distance the dog travelled?
Then tan (theta+phi) = (x+h-vert guy has travelled since)/(35-horiz guy has travelled since). Where every pronumeral is just a tiny, tiny amount.

I can't be bothered writing out exactly what I got, it's too complicated for here .__.
DOES THAT SOUND GOOD? *has no idea*

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:56 pm

If x and h are both tiny amounts, can I just use like 2x instead of x+h?

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:37 pm

Oh, it's getting far too complex for me Sad.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:30 pm

beatrixasdfghjk. wrote:Okay, what I'm trying at the moment: you let theta be a tiny, tiny angle, such that tan theta = x/35, where x is the distance the dog travelled?
Then tan (theta+phi) = (x+h-vert guy has travelled since)/(35-horiz guy has travelled since). Where every pronumeral is just a tiny, tiny amount.

I can't be bothered writing out exactly what I got, it's too complicated for here .__.
DOES THAT SOUND GOOD? *has no idea*
I seriously don't get what you were doing eco smile If you chose an angle, which one? What is phi?
Also, I solved this one without the use of trigonometry. Spanky and kiranr, you guys alive? eco smile

Last edited by Immortal Babun on Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:40 pm

Immortal Babun wrote:
I seriously don't get what you were doing eco smile If you chose an angle, which one? What is phi?
Aslo, I solved this one without the use of trigonometry. Spanky and kiranr, you guys alive? eco smile

Well, i got started and i figured the path followed by Alaba should be a function of x which is the path followed by Shtuppid. And at x = 0, f(x) = 35.

And i thought it should be an inverse curve of the second order, so the second derivative should be a constant...

f''(x) = a.

But stopped here, because dont know if i am going in the right direction..
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:49 pm

kiranr wrote:
Immortal Babun wrote:
Aslo, I solved this one without the use of trigonometry. Spanky and kiranr, you guys alive? eco smile

Well, i got started and i figured the path followed by Alaba should be a function of x which is the path followed by Shtuppid. And at x = 0, f(x) = 35.

And i thought it should be an inverse curve of the second order, so the second derivative should be a constant...

f''(x) = a.

I used isomery towards polygonal line to solve this question which is quite similar to your approach. It might work eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:13 am

Immortal Babun wrote:
kiranr wrote:
Immortal Babun wrote:

f''(x) = a.

I used isomery towards polygonal line to solve this question which is quite similar to your approach. It might work eco smile
Shocked.
I have no idea what you're talking about Sad.
Really, middle school? Razz.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Thu May 03, 2012 7:55 am

i feel bad doing this again but im stuck with stats again and i cant find anything on the net, sorry

So im doing hypothisis testing for a sample of 200 scores, ive got mu=$260 from null hypoth, n=200 and ive set alpha to 5% although i havent got population varriance because the data im given is a sample

Although am i right in thinking thinking that by the Central Limit Theory i should be able to substitiute the sample varriance in place of the population varriance because its an unbiased estimator of the pop. varriance? because i cant see a way i can find an exact value of the pop. varriance

although because ive already evoked the CLT once because the data im testing is non-normally distributed would it change my overall forumla to use it twice or would i still use

P(Z<(X-mu)/(sigma/sq root of n))=alpha

to find the Z-score that marks the "cut off region" in a standardised set

and then my second question is because i have 200 scores to test, would i just say how many of the 200 scores would lead to accepting the null and how many would lead ot rejecting the null and thne go with the majority or could i just find the average of the scores and test that single score against the null?

thanks Smile
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Fri May 04, 2012 3:30 am

fatman123 wrote:i feel bad doing this again but im stuck with stats again and i cant find anything on the net, sorry

So im doing hypothisis testing for a sample of 200 scores, ive got mu=$260 from null hypoth, n=200 and ive set alpha to 5% although i havent got population varriance because the data im given is a sample

Although am i right in thinking thinking that by the Central Limit Theory i should be able to substitiute the sample varriance in place of the population varriance because its an unbiased estimator of the pop. varriance? because i cant see a way i can find an exact value of the pop. varriance

although because ive already evoked the CLT once because the data im testing is non-normally distributed would it change my overall forumla to use it twice or would i still use

and then my second question is because i have 200 scores to test, would i just say how many of the 200 scores would lead to accepting the null and how many would lead ot rejecting the null and thne go with the majority or could i just find the average of the scores and test that single score against the null?

thanks Smile

What do mean by you got mu = 260 from null hypothesis? Did you calculate the mu from the sample and then tested the null hypothesis?
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Fri May 04, 2012 11:02 am

fatman123 wrote:i feel bad doing this again but im stuck with stats again and i cant find anything on the net, sorry

thanks Smile
Either my English deceived me or you wrote something incoherently :vagi:
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Sat May 05, 2012 5:06 am

my understanding of stats isnt great and because i dont have the assumed knowledge for the course my fondations arent great so i just sort of wrote it in a way i understand

anyway it doesnt really matter now because ive got to do that population proportion thing from a binomial distribution (dont worry i dont know what it is either) so ill just follow the slides and it should be ok, thanks for trying to help anyway babun and kiranr
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Sat May 12, 2012 5:55 am

if im doing a hypothesis test and i set my confidence intervals to a Z-score of 1.96 and the standardised value of the sample mean is -6.85 then my P-value would be the probability of a score being more extreme then -6.85 which would be 0, right?
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Sat May 12, 2012 11:35 am

fatman123 wrote:if im doing a hypothesis test and i set my confidence intervals to a Z-score of 1.96 and the standardised value of the sample mean is -6.85 then my P-value would be the probability of a score being more extreme then -6.85 which would be 0, right?
Write the formula and everything related to your question eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Sat May 12, 2012 12:30 pm

Babun, ever going to explain that dog question?
In simple terms for someone who's never heard of isometrics before Razz.

Thread turning into a 'fatman homework thread' :bow:.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Sat May 12, 2012 3:08 pm

Immortal Babun wrote:
fatman123 wrote:if im doing a hypothesis test and i set my confidence intervals to a Z-score of 1.96 and the standardised value of the sample mean is -6.85 then my P-value would be the probability of a score being more extreme then -6.85 which would be 0, right?
Write the formula and everything related to your question eco smile

H0: µ=$260
H1: µ<$260
alpha=5%
µ=$260
sigma≈S=49.90718
n=200
X̅=$235.81

X̅~N(260,49.90718^2/200)

P(Z< (x-μ) on s over sqrt of n)

P(Z<(x-260) on 49.90718/sqrt of 200)

Z<-1.96

The rejection region can be defined with a Z-score of ±1.96

Z=(X̅-μ) over sigma on sqrt of n

Z=(235.81-260)/(49.90718/sqrt 200)

Z=-6.85

Reject the null hypothesis in favour of the alternative

p-value=P(Z<-6.85)
=0.5 (my tables are for values 0<Z<infinity so i get 0.5 for -6.85 by symmetry)
=0.5-0.5
p-value=0

So pretty much thats my hypothesis testsorry that ive had to se things like "over" and "sqrt" but i dont know how to write fractions etc here, although since ive asked that question im pretty sure finding the p-value is inapporpriate to this situation anyway because i think its only worth finding of you accept the null, but i dunno

thanks Babun
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Sat May 12, 2012 3:10 pm

beatrixasdfghjk. wrote:Babun, ever going to explain that dog question?
In simple terms for someone who's never heard of isometrics before Razz.

Thread turning into a 'fatman homework thread' :bow:.

thank god this is for an assignment not homework, if i struggld this much with homework id be in big trouble. sorry for asking for so much help but im mathematically illiterate and this business stats course is really tough and i guess it doent help that i dont have the assumed knowledge for the class (i did the lowest level of math in high school)

still the assignment is due thursday, so once thats done i just need to pass the final and ill never have to do stats again!!! (i hope)

and to be fair, ive lurked this thread for a while before i posted in it, its just that i dont know the answer to anything here so ive had nothing to say untill i started asking for help :S

Last edited by fatman123 on Sun May 13, 2012 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Sun May 13, 2012 3:19 am

forget that other question, im pretty sure thats all right as it agrees with all my descriptive statistics but ive just no idea how to do population proportion, and it doesnt help that the lecture slides are purposley brief to force people to go to lectures and yet i go to all of them and i still dont get it Mad
anyway the question that all this comes from is of the businesses key performance indicators that reads "more then 50% of customers stay for a full week (ie 7 nights)

Maths- Gym for Brainiacs  - Page 17 110

EDIT:0.28 is between -1.96 and 1.96 so im accepting the null :facepalm: thats actually terrible by me, sorry

so my reasoning to accept the null was that when i was forming the confidence interval of 0.44,0.58 i found a z-score of 1.96 and then in the next formula (i think) i found the Z-score of the population proportion, P hat (0.28). But i dont know if thats right, could i use this formula instead (would have sub in different numbers) to find the Z-score fo P hat that way to accept/reject the null? or is that only for hypothesis testing? but then this is a hypothesis test but then its a poplation proportion thing too :S

Maths- Gym for Brainiacs  - Page 17 210

or should i just conclude that in 95% of samples (from alpha=0.05) between 44% and .58% of customers will spend 7 nights at the resort and thus the business acheives is key performance indicator in most cases?

thanks for the help Babun and everyone, i really appreciate it <3

fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Thu May 17, 2012 9:00 am

fatman123 wrote:forget that other question, im pretty sure thats all right as it agrees with all my descriptive statistics but ive just no idea how to do population proportion, and it doesnt help that the lecture slides are purposley brief to force people to go to lectures and yet i go to all of them and i still dont get it Mad
anyway the question that all this comes from is of the businesses key performance indicators that reads "more then 50% of customers stay for a full week (ie 7 nights)

Maths- Gym for Brainiacs  - Page 17 110

EDIT:0.28 is between -1.96 and 1.96 so im accepting the null :facepalm: thats actually terrible by me, sorry

so my reasoning to accept the null was that when i was forming the confidence interval of 0.44,0.58 i found a z-score of 1.96 and then in the next formula (i think) i found the Z-score of the population proportion, P hat (0.28). But i dont know if thats right, could i use this formula instead (would have sub in different numbers) to find the Z-score fo P hat that way to accept/reject the null? or is that only for hypothesis testing? but then this is a hypothesis test but then its a poplation proportion thing too :S

Maths- Gym for Brainiacs  - Page 17 210

or should i just conclude that in 95% of samples (from alpha=0.05) between 44% and .58% of customers will spend 7 nights at the resort and thus the business acheives is key performance indicator in most cases?

thanks for the help Babun and everyone, i really appreciate it <3

Sorry for late response, I'm really busy eco smile
Interestingly enough, I pmed you about confidence intervals earlier but you thought you wouldn't need it :lol!:

About the the questions ( red part marked) :

1. It's alright.
2. You define yourself how accurate your confidence interval should be. For a tourismus resort, 95% is more than enough. You could never be 100% sure though. That's why it's called hypothesis testing eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Thu May 17, 2012 9:29 am

Immortal Babun wrote:Sorry for late response, I'm really busy eco smile
Interestingly enough, I pmed you about confidence intervals earlier but you thought you wouldn't need it :lol!:

About the the questions ( red part marked) :

1. It's alright.
2. You define yourself how accurate your confidence interval should be. For a tourismus resort, 95% is more than enough. You could never be 100% sure though. That's why it's called hypothesis testing eco smile

yeah i remember that now that you mention, at the time i ddint realise how hard this course was going to be :S
im going to have another look at it now actually

i ended up having a few words spare when i finished my report so i put both the bits you put in red because it sounds nice and i just wanted to cover all bases

anyway im just printing it off now and im handing it in tomorrow, so thanks for all the help everyone, i really do appreciate it
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Thu May 17, 2012 9:43 am

lol the wiki article you linked me was the one i used to supplement the lecture slides, i guess you really did know what was coming up
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 27 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum: