AC Milan 4 - 0 Arsenal: That was pretty abysmal, wasn't it?

+32
BarcaLearning
urbaNRoots
TonyDaBeast
Raptorgunner
Sina
Ganso
djoe26
beatrixasdfghjk.
Sushi Master
sbaggio
Kwame2u
lenear1030
tsgooner1
Amar
dmize
The Franchise
DuringTheWar
Emaharg
SamuelJayC
Lord Hades
Lex
dostoevsky
Sri
Zealous
MJ
Spider
RealGunner
Wilson37
REWB
aleumdance
EL Patron
Jay29
36 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

AC Milan 4 - 0 Arsenal: That was pretty abysmal, wasn't it? Empty AC Milan 4 - 0 Arsenal: That was pretty abysmal, wasn't it?

Post by Jay29 Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:48 pm

So, where do I begin?

It's difficult to find the right words when you've just been on the arse end of an arse kicking, and very easy to launch into a massive triade about our failings. I'll try to be as construtive as possible.

How this game would play out and what our gameplan should be was discussed in great detail before this game but I don't think any of us got it right. What we saw out there wasn't a disciplined team, scrapping to keep Milan at bay whilst looking for opportunities on the counter. Neither was it a team who looked good on the ball and threatening to Milan's perceived aged and slow midfield and defence.

What we did see was a very passive Arsenal, with no defensive shape, no threat going forward, no heart or desire and absolutely zero gameplan. It looked as if we turned up at Milan, not knowing what to expect from them and how we should play against them. And just how any team could go into a big European game like that is baffling.

It wasn't even the usual suspects that let us down tonight. The experienced players, who have been so good and consistent for us this season, all had poor games. Vermaelen, Sagna, Song and Arteta are the last names you'd expect to see on the list of poor performers but there's no excusing their performances tonight. When those players are having a torrid time of it you know you're playing a bad game.

Milan's front three of Ibrahimovic, Robinho and Boateng gave us a rough time of it. Robinho difted all over the place, pulling defenders with him and leaving gaps for Boateng to run into and Ibrahimovic to exploit from deeper positions. Our defence had absolutely no clue how to deal with it and constantly left these players with space to strut their stuff.

To make matters worse, the midfield didn't do nearly enough to help out the backline. Rosicky and Walcott had to track Milan's fullbacks but seldom did, while Song and Arteta were completely lost, not knowing where to be defensively and being harried out of possession by Milan's midfield.

Basically, there was no defensive shape, which lead to too many holes at the back and Milan exploited them. The high amount of turnovers from Arsenal just made it worse.

Going forward it was the same old story. Lots of the ball, but no purpose about the play. Where were we going? What were we trying to accomplish when we went forward? Evidently, not a lot. It just further highlights the lack of quality in the midfield and forward line.

All of this just adds up to a pretty crappy night of football where there are very few, if any, positives. The tie is lost, and all the team can really do now is get their heads down and focus on getting a good result against Sunderland in the FA Cup. The team cannot allow this result to destroy their whole season. I am genuinely concerned that that is what will happen, because we've seen it many times before. So the team has to regain its focus and put all its efforts in progressing in the FA Cup and consilidating 4th spot. Oh, and giving a damn good performance in the second leg, jus to regain some of that lost pride.

Last edited by GoonerJay29 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

AC Milan 4 - 0 Arsenal: That was pretty abysmal, wasn't it? Empty Re: AC Milan 4 - 0 Arsenal: That was pretty abysmal, wasn't it?

Post by EL Patron Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:49 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing we imploded
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

AC Milan 4 - 0 Arsenal: That was pretty abysmal, wasn't it? Empty Re: AC Milan 4 - 0 Arsenal: That was pretty abysmal, wasn't it?

Post by aleumdance Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:55 pm

This Game would shut up anyone that attacks any Wenger Criticizer
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:55 pm

aleumdance wrote:This Game would shut up anyone that attacks any Wenger Criticizer

Aleumdance, fighting against Wengerism Laughing
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:57 pm

gunnerlistick wrote:
aleumdance wrote:This Game would shut up anyone that attacks any Wenger Criticizer

Honestly, and I won't Stop.. Wenger is Tactically Inept..I ahev said it before and been attacked

but now I can say it with so much damn pride
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:58 pm

very poor but imo the tie is not over loool, lol i know i may sound like an idiot, but arsenal are really going to go full pelt at the emirates. just watch this space lol, im not saying nothing. untill the match
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:59 pm

It's done imo, i can't see us keeping a clean sheet in the return leg, if we score they will oviously score

Last edited by gunnerlistick on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:59 pm

So thats the end ? Right..
Everyone expected that our pace will trouble Milan..
Is the pitch at San Siro like this always ?
I think it cancelled our advantage to a great extent.. We couldnt move the ball and fast flowing football was out of the question.. May be why we started both Rosicky and Ramsey inorder to maintain more possession and try something..
I dont think we could have done much today other than defend well and escape with a 1-0 or 2-0 defeat and hope we can turn it in the 2nd leg...
now the problems.. we made too many mispasses and wasted possession and defending was terrible.. Sagna, Vermelen and Kos too found it difficult..
And Djurou..? Pathetic.. And Gibbs was nowhere near to defend anything..
And Ramsey and Walcott frustrating as usual..
Rosicky was the only better player in the 1st half putting some through balls.. He hit new depths in 2nd half..
Except for some nice passes from Henry and some attempts by RVP we looked pathetic ..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:00 pm

aleumdance wrote:
gunnerlistick wrote:

Honestly, and I won't Stop.. Wenger is Tactically Inept..I ahev said it before and been attacked

but now I can say it with so much damn pride

if we are going to get a knew manager it has to be klopp imo. when we face dortmund they were the closet thing to barca in terms of pressing we have faced imo. has to be him, great manager.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:00 pm

Horrible performance

What really dissapointed me was that the most experienced, and our best players let us down.

Vermaelen was probably the flop of the match, Arteta was blown away. Song was utter crap. Ramsey is a joke.

Our wing play was useless once the pitch was destroyed by milan, going through the middle was pointless because we couldnt pass.

When ibra dropped deep, the game was lost then. Destroyed us single handedly

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:01 pm

REWB wrote:very poor but imo the tie is not over loool, lol i know i may sound like an idiot, but arsenal are really going to go full pelt at the emirates. just watch this space lol, im not saying nothing. untill the match

man I love ur optimism

but Wenger would find a tactical way to screw it
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:02 pm

Mertesacker was missed. You dont realise how important a thing is till its gone. His partnership with Koscielny was getting better with each game. Wouldnt have let Ibra dominate the game.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spider Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:07 pm

Believing in them self's was the key .

they thought that they were playing an EBL team , so when milan hit us hard they started to FREAK the hill out and then fade away

and what about Kosc is he out for the season too ?
Spider
Spider
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/#!/ma7moud_21

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:12 pm

Time to focus on finishing in the top 4.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:13 pm

the midfield that destroyed milan few years ago....

helb flamini cesc rosicky (pre injury) all energetic fast fantastic quick passers of the ball that could press aswell.

now look at our midfield...

song is just not mobile and energetic enough to be an arsenal midfielder, he suits a team more like chelsea. flamini was an average player OVERALL, but he was a great tackler and VERY energetic for a team like arsenal and thats what we need.

artata is a decent passer, but is average and not special, if you want to win a title you have to have players in midfield that do more.

and ramsey is a younster, probably a late bloomer that just had a year off with an injury, yet we are relying on him?

pathetic no were near our 07/08 team, we have declined soo much. im not going back to the invincible because that team won trophies, retired and fulfilled what they were meant to fulfil. but that 07/08 team was the time when i thought we could get our glory days back, we got our good passing reputation from THAT team, but wenger didnt add to it and every season after that we have been dropping in quality. and now as this season has shown it has nearly all gone imo. we have to now result in spending wads of cash if we want to compete, whilst before we just needed one or two good depth players to become a great challenging team. now we need 2 or 3 WORLD CLASS players. declined.

Last edited by REWB on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:37 pm; edited 4 times in total
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:15 pm

Rosicky ruined every play which he was involved in. Not one through ball made it. Absolutely highlights our lack of quality in midfield and his being past it.

Maybe we can look at this as a blessing in disguise. Something is gonna have to change. The fans and maybe even the board won't tolerate no CL football and no trophy without either a change in staff or players.

The only two who deserved to be wearing Arsenal colors were RVP and the King.

Absolutely disgusted. Great way to go into my birthday.

MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:16 pm

REWB wrote:
, but wener didnt add to it every season after that we have been dropping in quality. and now as this season has shown its all gone imo. we have to now result in spending wads of cash if we want to compete, while before we just needed one or two good depth players to become a great challenging team. now we need 2 or 3 WORLD CLASS players. declined.

you said it all mate
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:17 pm

MJGunner wrote:Rosicky ruined every play which he was involved in. Not one through ball made it. Absolutely highlights our lack of quality in midfield and his being past it.

Maybe we can look at this as a blessing in disguise. Something is gonna have to change. The fans and maybe even the board won't tolerate no CL football and no trophy without either a change in staff or players.

The only two who deserved to be wearing Arsenal colors were RVP and the King.

Absolutely disgusted. Great way to go into my birthday.

Happy Birthday MJ
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:29 pm

Chin up gunners, as someone who has experienced some pretty radical lows with my team I can safely say it never lasts that long.

Basically what I'm trying to say is I know that feel bro. I know that feel.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:40 pm

I'm going to keep this short. Tactics.

Oh, and well played Milan.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:54 pm

I've pretty much just dropped by to emphasise Zealous' point. Each great team experiences this at some point and often on the big stages. We blew a 4-1 lead to Deportivo because of complacency, we lost a final from 3-0 up, we lost 4-0 to United with Leonardo playing Huntelaar on the wing.

In the end managers will make huge mistakes at big times, however if you can trust them to continue, it's always best to maintain the stability of the club. Regardless of what happens in the second leg - redemption, miracle or disappointment - this is February and the league now seems even more important and the league is also the promise that Wenger has never failed to keep. You move on with a clear plan to go forward, not with anger.

Chin up and if this is the end of your campaign this year, I look forward to seeing you next year. Beat dem Spurs. Cool
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:57 pm

Arsenal fans; instead of getting behind the team and rallying the troops, all they can do is call for Wenger's head on a spike Rolling Eyes

This is why i can respect United fans. High or low, they're always behind their manager 90% of the time (they have idiots amongst their ranks as well)

Next week, we'll win a game and these same posters calling for Wenger to be executed won't be seen
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:58 pm

every cloud has a silver lining..sure 4-0 looks bad but you can still beat milan at the emirates to salvage some pride if anything.. as it is i think top 4 was more of a priority than really winning the cl

playing against a team full of experienced players will give a lot of the gunners players experience and theyll be back to their best in europe soon

bad form wont last that long. trust me, i have been in the same position in 09 Smile
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:07 pm

Just wanted to add, that tonights result is not just Wenger's fault, but the players as well. No one could come out of that game with their head held high.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:09 pm

Not going to say anything on this thread tonight - need to cool off, and reflect back on the performance and the current scenario tomorrow.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next