Raptorgunner
SamuelJayC
Jay29
The Franchise
9 posters

Go down

Dont flip out Empty Dont flip out

Post by The Franchise Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:22 pm

As a former Londoner, as you can imagine I have a hoard of Arsenal friends as fans. In conversation about the Milan game, one of them said to me, Arteta was a waste of money.

Of course, I was quite stunned. Arsenal fans here seem very happy with him and when I watch Arsenal he seems to do a good job which confirms those comments.

However, he did pose some questions I really could not answer.

Things which was said.

He passes at 90 something %, but didnt Denilson do that very same thing?

Much like Denilson he cant really defend well, he doesnt have the legs to press high up the pitch, he doesnt get into the final third and create much and he sits deeper than Song does which invites Song to get forward and in turn leaves him out of position for transitions coming back.

What do you think?
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Dont flip out Empty Re: Dont flip out

Post by Jay29 Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:37 pm

Arteta also has a high percentage of forward passes. At one point I think he was playing the most forward passes in the whole division. So at least that pass completion rate isn't exclusively backwards and sideways passing, which is what Denilson did.

I do think he could do more. He once talked about how he was happy to curb his attacking instincts for the benefit of the team but I think every now and then he should push forward more.

Apart from that though I'm happy with him. I don't think of him as Cesc's replacement, as he's clearly playing a different role, and the only player capable of controlling the tempo of our passing like he can is currently injured. On the odd ocassion we've been without Arteta, we've really struggled. That says enough about him for me.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:41 pm

I'm a fan of Arteta, he keeps the ball well, but if you compare him to Wilshere in this position last season, there is only one winner, and that's Jack.

However, I understand Arteta is a different type of player.

What I would like to see us do in summer in midfield:

M'Vila Wilshere

Belhanda

^
We have the money (with 4th place) to do something like this.

ps. Song can't defend, but we should keep both him and Arteta. It's called a squad.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:01 am

Is there any stats for forward passes, for both he and Denilson?

Not that I personally think there is anything wrong with sideways passing, its better than giving the ball away.

But yeah, if they have the same % are Arteta is making more difficult passes, which forward ones usually are then of course thats an advantage.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:10 am

I think Arteta has done the job and he is one of the main reasons why we are fighting for the 4th place.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:46 am

Arteta's job is to keep the ball flowing and keep possession, which he has done brilliantly
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:48 am

The Franchise wrote:Is there any stats for forward passes, for both he and Denilson?

Top PL central midfielders for forward passes per game: Arteta 41.2, Barry 40.8, Carrick 38.3, Song 38.1,Toure 37.2 [via whoscored]

Arteta has flopped hard at Milan, but so did our whole team. He's nothing like Cesc, we still haven't replaced Cesc, another reason why Ramsey and Walcott have been so poor this season.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:04 am

he is decent, but nothing special.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:58 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:
The Franchise wrote:Is there any stats for forward passes, for both he and Denilson?

Top PL central midfielders for forward passes per game: Arteta 41.2, Barry 40.8, Carrick 38.3, Song 38.1,Toure 37.2 [via whoscored]

Arteta has flopped hard at Milan, but so did our whole team. He's nothing like Cesc, we still haven't replaced Cesc, another reason why Ramsey and Walcott have been so poor this season.

Where did you get these? Is there anything on Denilson?
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:15 pm

Hes just got poor footwork, so he always need to take an extra second to sort his feet out before passing, and often misses the chance to make really incisive action. Other than that he is intelligent and accurate
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:56 pm

They are both average players and it is hard to compare stats on them since we do not play the same way now that we have in the past. Nor do I actually think that Denilson was a Arsenal quality player. Comparing stats tho 2 years ago Denilson played 23 games and had 5 goals and 1 assist. This year Artetta has played in 28 games with 4 goals and 1 assist. If we actually had a CAM I don't think that Artetta would be anything special and would not make the pitch on a regular basis. Our midfield this year probably would have been Song, Ramsey and CAM.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:37 pm

The Franchise wrote:
urbaNRoots wrote:

Where did you get these? Is there anything on Denilson?

Arteta: https://twitter.com/#!/WhoScored/status/163985533356347392

Denilson: https://twitter.com/#!/OptaJoe/status/79838683452276736
31% - 200 of Denilson's passes were made forward, accounting for 31% of his total. Maligned.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down