The Verminator
Jay29
TalkingReckless
lenear1030
DuringTheWar
28 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Can arsenal win the league title next season?

Can arsenal win the league next season? Vote_lcap87%Can arsenal win the league next season? Vote_rcap 87% 
[ 13 ]
Can arsenal win the league next season? Vote_lcap13%Can arsenal win the league next season? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 15

Can arsenal win the league next season? Empty Can arsenal win the league next season?

Post by DuringTheWar Sat 24 Mar 2012, 04:20

Arguments in favour:

a) wilshere
b) chamberlain
c) podolski
d) starting with a settled team (if we survive the euros AND olympics)
e) santos, gerv, and mert all settled into english football
f) coquelin and miyaichi should be ready to step up
g) ramsey can improve

Arguments against:

a) van persie could leave
b) the annual injury crisis
c) man city can spend spend spend

potential line up (first and second choices)

.............................. szczesny/fab

sagna/jenkinson kos/mert verm/djourou santos/gibbs

................................song/coquelin

...................arteta/ramsey wilshere/rosicky

walcott/miyaichi .......................................chamberlain/gevinho

...........................van persie/podolski

a lot of them can play in different positions so im not even sure what the strongest line up is hmm

It does look a pretty strong prospect to me but i think it needs one more world class player (preferably midfield) to become a major force again

DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Can arsenal win the league next season? Empty Re: Can arsenal win the league next season?

Post by lenear1030 Sat 24 Mar 2012, 04:27

on the arguments against, the only that should really matter is b) the annual injury crisis.

there's no other place for RvP to go if he wanted to leave and we'd still have enough talent to win the league even if he did imo (i know no one else will agree)

but we know that we will get hit with the injury crisis so we'll pray for the best as usual.
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Can arsenal win the league next season? Empty Re: Can arsenal win the league next season?

Post by TalkingReckless Sat 24 Mar 2012, 04:46

if we don't have injures we can mount a serious challenge next year, not sure about winning but we could go far in CL and Cups
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat 24 Mar 2012, 04:56

Amazing how ending the season well can effect fan mentallity. Of course, if we happen to flop hard in the remaining nine games, I'm sure this positive vibe will evaporate completely...

Anyway, we need to look beyond personnel if we are to consider a title challenge next season. Arsenal's first concern should be to retain van Persie because losing him would have more of an adverse effect than people might realise. Not only is he main source of goals, but also the team's leader on and off the pitch. He's a proper captain and someone we must hold onto.

Every summer we seem to lose important members of the first team so it's very important to have a summer without too much disruption, so we can have a solid platform to build from. One of the major reasons why this season started off so badly was because the summer was disrupted by players leaving and injuries to key personnel. Avoiding that will be a good start.

The Euro's are at the end of the season and I worry that this will harm our players, especially van Persie, as he may not get adequate rest after a long season.

With a fully fit squad with key players retained, as well as one or two quality players, we can challenge because there's little doubt that our first team can beat United and City, as well put together consistent runs but I do worry about the annual injury crisis and squad depth.

Perhaps it would be better to say that next season will go a lot better than this season if the above (keeping hold of van Persie, keeping players fit, etc.) happens, but I won't be sure about challenging the title until a few games into the season.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by The Verminator Sat 24 Mar 2012, 09:35

I believe we can definetely do it. We will be stronger next season. If no major player leaves then the chemistry in the first team will grow. We will have podolski. I'm sure we can mount a serious challenge...
The Verminator
The Verminator
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat 24 Mar 2012, 11:06

This is only determinable at the end of August really. Injuries and transfers have to be taken into account and after what could prove to be a completely hectic summer with Euros and important contracts and transfers to seal, we won't know how strong our starting XI could be until then, our rival's moves should be taken into account as well.

If everything goes to plan then, yes. Yes we can.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Sat 24 Mar 2012, 12:36

Stupid to do this poll in March.

Why not do in the summer when we know our squad?
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by KMD Sat 24 Mar 2012, 19:09

every year we can

but Jay is on point, rvp is a capitain, we need him to stay, if he leaves we will need more games to find form without him
KMD
KMD
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat 24 Mar 2012, 19:22

If we win every game for the rest of the season we could win it this year.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Sun 25 Mar 2012, 22:54

PLAYER GOALS
Robin Van Persie 26
Theo Walcott 6
Mikel Arteta 5
Thomas Vermaelen 5
Gervinho 4
Thierry Henry 2
PLAYER ASSISTS
Robin Van Persie 9
Theo Walcott 8
Alex Song 8
Gervinho 6
Aaron Ramsey 4
Andrei Arshavin 3

Without RVP leading the team in goals and assists this year we would be fighting relegation. If we were to loose him for next year I think we would find it hard to get anyone that can replace him and we would be fighting relegation then. We still need to keep RVP and bring in another 2 or 3 players.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Sun 25 Mar 2012, 23:06

6unner wrote:PLAYER GOALS
Robin Van Persie 26
Theo Walcott 6
Mikel Arteta 5
Thomas Vermaelen 5
Gervinho 4
Thierry Henry 2
PLAYER ASSISTS
Robin Van Persie 9
Theo Walcott 8
Alex Song 8
Gervinho 6
Aaron Ramsey 4
Andrei Arshavin 3

Without RVP leading the team in goals and assists this year we would be fighting relegation. If we were to loose him for next year I think we would find it hard to get anyone that can replace him and we would be fighting relegation then. We still need to keep RVP and bring in another 2 or 3 players.

LMAO, yeahhhhhh we would be fighting relegation if we played with 10 men for the season.... :facepalm: if rvp wasn't there than chamakh or park would have chipped in and scored goals as well as they would be the focal points of the attack. id expect chamakh or park (depending on whoever is the starter) to have at least 10-15 goals. we wouldn't be in the position we are now without rvp, but we would not be fighting relegation either, we'd still be in the top 6.

facepalm to you sir :facepalm:
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun 25 Mar 2012, 23:42

Also you have to look at the reasons why van Persie has scored so many goals. How many times has he had goals laid on a plate for him? Van Persie's excellent goalscoring is as much to do with the excellent service he gets from the others than his own individual ability.

Hence why the claims of us being a one man team are far from the mark. If you took Messi out of Barcelona, or Mario Gomez out of Bayern or even Demba Ba out of Newcastle, would all those teams be fighting relegation too?

Now look at our most recent game. We won 3-0 and van Persie was hardly involved. Even games before that, even if van Persie scored goals the contribution from the other players have been invaluable.

Are we third place because of van Persie? No. We're third place because the whole team is playing well and contributing.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Sun 25 Mar 2012, 23:44

Again, lets revisit this thread in summer.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by djoe26 Sun 25 Mar 2012, 23:52

GoonerJay29 wrote:Also you have to look at the reasons why van Persie has scored so many goals. How many times has he had goals laid on a plate for him? Van Persie's excellent goalscoring is as much to do with the excellent service he gets from the others than his own individual ability.

Hence why the claims of us being a one man team are far from the mark. If you took Messi out of Barcelona, or Mario Gomez out of Bayern or even Demba Ba out of Newcastle, would all those teams be fighting relegation too?

Now look at our most recent game. We won 3-0 and van Persie was hardly involved. Even games before that, even if van Persie scored goals the contribution from the other players have been invaluable.

Are we third place because of van Persie? No. We're third place because the whole team is playing well and contributing.

Well said Jay.
Samuelj29060 wrote:Again, lets revisit this thread in summer.

Thumbs up
djoe26
djoe26
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Mon 26 Mar 2012, 02:04

Its difficult to say where we would be without van persie. I get the impression sometimes he scores so much partly because the team is set up for him to do so. In recent seasons we never really had an outstanding goal scorer (adebayor goes closest), instead we used to share the goals around the team. Having said that we had some very rocky times this season due to different factors (losing key players, unsettled team, many players out of form, injuries) where he was very very important. There were some moments where the team could really have fell apart without him. Now though we dont have many injuries, our team has gelled well, and players that were terribly out of form are playing well now. Having said that we are still very weak in the striker department, and its very important we sign another striker such as podolski

Anyway you cant really play the "arsenal would be nowhere without van persie" card, since we been without wilshere for every game so far. You dont see many critics asking where arsenal would be if wilshere was fit all season, probably challenging for the title i'd say
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon 26 Mar 2012, 02:29

Interesting statistic here:

Since October 3rd, Arsenal have accumulated the same number of points as Man City and Man Utd - 51.

To rephrase that, Arsenal, City and United have picked up the same number of points since they played the first seven games. Arsenal's results in the first seven games were:

Newcastle 0 - 0 Arsenal
Arsenal 0 - 2 Liverpool
Arsenal 2 - 8 Man Utd
Arsenal 1 - 0 Swansea
Blackburn 3 - 4 Arsenal
Arsenal 3 - 0 Bolton
Tottenham 2 - 1 Arsenal

We only won picked up 7 points out of 21. If we look at why we lost those games; a combination of injuries, an unsettled side, low morale and a side still blending, it further emphasises how important having a good pre-season is.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Mon 26 Mar 2012, 05:25

guys I know this sound off, but I have been getting some LOLS from spurs forums lately

my favorite

Its embarrassing that in the space of four games arsenal are once again above us as usual. A season where arsenal are supposedly a club in turmoil with their best players in nasri and fabregas leaving the club. Yet somehow they are a better team than spurs still according to the table. One of the worst arsenal teams in years, and yet they are sitting in 3rd above us. It is a joke. I don't care, whatever. This is suppose to be the best spurs team in years yet STILL arsenal are above us. Could you imagine spurs' season with bale and modric gone? I admire arsenal at the moment as much as I dislike them. We have been touted as the hottest thing going yet they are sitting above us and made us look like mugs. Remember how four weeks ago arsenal were a complete joke and just so laughable?

Sorry but spurs are far from perfect and if we finish behind them after the season they have had that would just be a massive facepalm fail.

Just my opinion
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Mon 26 Mar 2012, 05:29

they still have their deluded idiots

After seeing the way we played, I'm confident we will. Woolwich's "luck" will eventually run out and knowing the kind of bottlers that they are around this time, I can seeing them dropping points at Stoke and at home against the Duckies and Chavs. As much annoyed I am that we didn't win this game like we should have as we were clearly the better team. I'm confident we are going to turn the corner after this result. We're too good of a team to go on such a hideous slump. This isn't 2008 anymore.

some spurs fans never stop amazing me

There are no easy games in the EPL

...except playing the scum without RVP
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon 26 Mar 2012, 05:49

aleumdance wrote:they still have their deluded idiots

After seeing the way we played, I'm confident we will. Woolwich's "luck" will eventually run out and knowing the kind of bottlers that they are around this time, I can seeing them dropping points at Stoke and at home against the Duckies and Chavs. As much annoyed I am that we didn't win this game like we should have as we were clearly the better team. I'm confident we are going to turn the corner after this result. We're too good of a team to go on such a hideous slump. This isn't 2008 anymore.

LOL, they are shitting themselves, Chelsea will take 4th place from them.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Mon 26 Mar 2012, 05:54

they truly are a pathetic bunch on the internet,,

sometime you wonder what makes them so delusional
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by mani88 Mon 26 Mar 2012, 13:22

GoonerJay29 wrote:Interesting statistic here:

Since October 3rd, Arsenal have accumulated the same number of points as Man City and Man Utd - 51.

To rephrase that, Arsenal, City and United have picked up the same number of points since they played the first seven games. Arsenal's results in the first seven games were:

Newcastle 0 - 0 Arsenal
Arsenal 0 - 2 Liverpool
Arsenal 2 - 8 Man Utd
Arsenal 1 - 0 Swansea
Blackburn 3 - 4 Arsenal No
Arsenal 3 - 0 Bolton
Tottenham 2 - 1 Arsenal

We only won picked up 7 points out of 21. If we look at why we lost those games; a combination of injuries, an unsettled side, low morale and a side still blending, it further emphasises how important having a good pre-season is.

smoking
mani88
mani88
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Mon 26 Mar 2012, 13:24

mani88 wrote:
GoonerJay29 wrote:Interesting statistic here:

Newcastle 0 - 0 Arsenal
Arsenal 0 - 2 Liverpool
Arsenal 2 - 8 Man Utd
Arsenal 1 - 0 Swansea
Blackburn 3 - 4 Arsenal No
Arsenal 3 - 0 Bolton
Tottenham 2 - 1 Arsenal

smoking
Their goal was offside Sad.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon 26 Mar 2012, 13:25

Typo. :coffee:

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Mon 26 Mar 2012, 15:13

17 players have scored for #Arsenal in the #epl now this season, the most of any club. One man team.

:coffee:
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon 26 Mar 2012, 15:15

Raptorgunner wrote:
aleumdance wrote:they still have their deluded idiots

LOL, they are shitting themselves, Chelsea will take 4th place from them.

How is that possible when Chelsea will finish 6th? scratch hmm
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next