Gemini
Le Samourai
REWB
Blue Barrett
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Abramovich
13 posters

Go down

Way back when a good few years ago Vincent Kompany Empty Way back when a good few years ago Vincent Kompany

Post by Abramovich Mon May 14, 2012 1:07 am

Wasn't he heavily linked with Arsenal during his Anderlecht days? Then he went to Hamburg etc etc :vagi:

What ever happened to that? & where would Arsenal be if they had signed him could they have gotten some silverware by now if he was the rock of the defense?
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Way back when a good few years ago Vincent Kompany Empty Re: Way back when a good few years ago Vincent Kompany

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon May 14, 2012 1:14 am

tbf Kompany was linked with half of europe back then Laughing you put that scenario to almost any team in europe as practically everyone wanted him.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Way back when a good few years ago Vincent Kompany Empty Re: Way back when a good few years ago Vincent Kompany

Post by Blue Barrett Mon May 14, 2012 1:14 am

The Wengerbot does not compute. Smile
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Mon May 14, 2012 1:14 am

no idea why we didnt sign him, every summer he was linked with us.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon May 14, 2012 1:16 am

He was linked with us as well.

Everyone wanted him.....
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Mon May 14, 2012 1:16 am

I remember like this was when I was a kid talking about him with mates about how sick he is on FM and we all thought he was going to go to Arsenal :vagi:.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Mon May 14, 2012 1:17 am

If he joined Arsenal - eventually his destination would be no different...

As for the question I could see them winning something with kompany playing as he is now if they kept clichy fab and nasri etc but with this current squad not one player in the world would probably make them win a worthy trophy.

However it's astounding the link Arsenal has with City players.

Gemini
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon May 14, 2012 1:40 am

Everyone wanted him.... but he went to Hamburg? :vagi:
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Mon May 14, 2012 2:02 am

We were also linked with Cronaldo, Ibra etc etc

Ifs and buts
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon May 14, 2012 2:14 am

That Ibra to Arsenal scenario is one of the greatest ever IMO.

He says he just sensed Wenger did not want him enough, despite the shirt.

Ibrahimovic added: “Arsene gave me the famous red and white jersey — the No 9 shirt with Ibrahimovic on it and I was so pleased I even posed for a picture wearing it.

“It was a fantastic moment for me. Arsenal had a great team then and here was an Arsenal shirt made just for me.

“So then I waited for him to convince me that I should join Arsenal. But he didn’t even try.

“He never actually made me a serious offer, it was more ‘I want to see how good you are, what kind of player you are. Have a trial’.

I couldn’t believe it. I was like ‘No way, Zlatan doesn’t do auditions’.

:bow:

Seriously...United could have less titles than Liverpool right now if Wenger didn't insult him by asking for a trial Sad
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon May 14, 2012 2:19 am

Zlatan doesn't do auditions lmao what a legend :bow:
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Mon May 14, 2012 2:27 am

He never said that Laughing
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Be/\/ceCALI Mon May 14, 2012 3:46 am

Posted this in the Arsenal forum a while back, here's that article from the book

Damn you, Hasse Borg!!! Mad Mad

Way back when a good few years ago Vincent Kompany Zlatan10

Last edited by Be//ceCALI on Mon May 14, 2012 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Be/\/ceCALI
Be/\/ceCALI
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Be/\/ceCALI Mon May 14, 2012 3:50 am

As for Kompany - He's a great defender but I don't think we really need him anyways. I don't see him replacing our CBs

Not to mention the success he's having at City being captain and all. Was nice to see him get roasted by Traore on the left for QPR's equalizer Cool
Be/\/ceCALI
Be/\/ceCALI
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Mon May 14, 2012 4:03 am

Kompany, Yaya, De Jong, Barry, Lescott, Silva, and Given (although no longer there) were all linked to Arsenal quite strongly at one point or another before joining City. Johnson and Dzeko were also linked to a lesser extent. Also, Hart and Richards were both tipped to jump ship to us before the money came into the club, and of course they bought Clichy, Nasri, Adebayor and Kolo off of us. Kolo was probably the worst of that last bunch for me simply because he only left because of his beef with Gallas, who ended up leaving to Spurs soon after anyway, and Yaya mainly went to City because Kolo was there. Slightly different circumstances and both might currently be Gunners Sad

It's painful to say but the current Man City team strongly resembles the dream team many Arsenal fans have wanted Wenger to assemble over the past few years. I actually like most of the players there, I just hate the way the club has gone about its business (i.e. fecking up my club in the process).
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon May 14, 2012 4:20 am

Speaking of what if transfers, I just found out only now that Cruyff had tied up Zidane back when he was playing in France. But then Cruyff got sacked and the transfer didn't go through, as it was Cruyff's idea. What a world that would have been hmm
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Mon May 14, 2012 8:42 am

so if Kompany was linked to RM, Arsenal and every other big club in Europe, how did he end up at Hamburg?
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon May 14, 2012 9:24 am

fatman123 wrote:so if Kompany was linked to RM, Arsenal and every other big club in Europe, how did he end up at Hamburg?

He's an intelligent guy.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Mon May 14, 2012 9:26 am

Le Samourai wrote:
fatman123 wrote:so if Kompany was linked to RM, Arsenal and every other big club in Europe, how did he end up at Hamburg?

He's an intelligent guy.

and Andelect were alright with that? im sure the bigger clubs were offering more money
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon May 14, 2012 9:37 am

fatman123 wrote:
Le Samourai wrote:

He's an intelligent guy.

and Andelect were alright with that? im sure the bigger clubs were offering more money

HSV paid 10 million for a 19 year old from the Belgian league.......I'd make a guess no one else was going over that.

Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Mon May 14, 2012 5:56 pm

So does all this mean Arsenal miss out on many players for whatever reasons? Razz

Anyway I remember at first Kompany struggled in the DM role at Man C....it was after he switched to CB he really started to excel. Not sure what position he played b4 Man C though...
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down