Did Alex Ferguson introduce new football concepts/tactics?

+18
B-Mac
Tifoso Romanista
Nishankly
Forza
Jonathan28
Lord Hades
urbaNRoots
che
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Onyx
The Messiah
Vibe
Abramovich
Dante
RebaƱo Sagrado
kiranr
Yeezus
BarcaLearning
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Did Alex Ferguson introduce new football concepts/tactics? - Page 2 Empty Re: Did Alex Ferguson introduce new football concepts/tactics?

Post by Vibe Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:33 am

He did introduce a unique rotation system.

I remember when his run of games with different lineup went over 150 I think...Not sure if it still lasts.

Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Did Alex Ferguson introduce new football concepts/tactics? - Page 2 Empty Re: Did Alex Ferguson introduce new football concepts/tactics?

Post by Forza Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:37 am

kiranr wrote:Well actually, to be serious, i don't think he introduced any new concepts. He took the successful concepts and executed it very well.

Fergie deserves credit for execution which includes choosing tactics and selecting the players suitable for those tactics. And he has rinsed and repeated this for over 20 years.
Over 25 years now I think. Anyway, this is the best description of his career on this thread.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:37 pm

Thx for the good points everyone....

With the rotation, its interesting cos I always remember though he prefers the same back 4 if available, and said that first and foremost defense....

Reading everyones points has really answered my question, hes certainly brought a lot of new things during his time, which is different from say the big ideals of Cryuff or Sacchi or Pep etc. probably, but still big in his own right.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:46 am

4-5-2 Laughing Laughing
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Tifoso Romanista Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:18 am

Well SAF used different tactics and formations probably more than any other manager 4-3-3, 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1, 4-4-1-1and etc ,The main advantage that he has to likes of Mourinho is his ability to work with youngsters and turn them into espectacular players and the fact that he managed to maintain good performance within his team despite losing several key players (Some to his direct Rival) and of coarse he never been involved golden whistle scandal like mourinho and other than all jokes around Howard Webb the referees never got paid as much as they Mourinho time in Chelsea , Mourinho managed to get away from the two scandals till now , cant wait till he officially get caught
Tifoso Romanista
Tifoso Romanista
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:10 am

Tifoso Romanista wrote:Well SAF used different tactics and formations probably more than any other manager 4-3-3, 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1, 4-4-1-1and etc ,The main advantage that he has to likes of Mourinho is his ability to work with youngsters and turn them into espectacular players and the fact that he managed to maintain good performance within his team despite losing several key players (Some to his direct Rival) and of coarse he never been involved golden whistle scandal like mourinho and other than all jokes around Howard Webb the referees never got paid as much as they Mourinho time in Chelsea , Mourinho managed to get away from the two scandals till now , cant wait till he officially get caught

What 2 scandals?
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Tifoso Romanista Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:32 am

BarcaLearning wrote:
Tifoso Romanista wrote:Well SAF used different tactics and formations probably more than any other manager 4-3-3, 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1, 4-4-1-1and etc ,The main advantage that he has to likes of Mourinho is his ability to work with youngsters and turn them into espectacular players and the fact that he managed to maintain good performance within his team despite losing several key players (Some to his direct Rival) and of coarse he never been involved golden whistle scandal like mourinho and other than all jokes around Howard Webb the referees never got paid as much as they Mourinho time in Chelsea , Mourinho managed to get away from the two scandals till now , cant wait till he officially get caught

What 2 scandals?
Tifoso Romanista
Tifoso Romanista
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Tifoso Romanista Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:34 am

http://www.column10.com/2011/05/portuguese-match-fixing-controversy-prostitutes-paid-holidays-and-porto/
Tifoso Romanista
Tifoso Romanista
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:51 am

Fergie's ability to reinvent manchester united is his biggest achievement he has completely rebuilt this team about 5-6 times now, his squad selection picking the right players for the opposition is legendary, and squad rotation for the long haul of a premier league and champions league season, his trust in youth (sometimes it bites him in the arse). I dunno if these are all great things that he brought to football, but what he brings to a single club is immense. if you started a football club tomorrow you would want sir alex ferguson running it, i think that says enough about the man right there, and i don't think many can argue that
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:25 pm

B-Mac MUFC wrote:Fergie's ability to reinvent manchester united is his biggest achievement he has completely rebuilt this team about 5-6 times now, his squad selection picking the right players for the opposition is legendary, and squad rotation for the long haul of a premier league and champions league season, his trust in youth (sometimes it bites him in the arse). I dunno if these are all great things that he brought to football, but what he brings to a single club is immense. if you started a football club tomorrow you would want sir alex ferguson running it, i think that says enough about the man right there, and i don't think many can argue that

I agree especially about the last bit...hes best for a club long term development and stability and able to chop and change along the way to achieve it.

Although with the countering opposition, I guess MAn U is so famous teams study how to counter him and so often hes been well countered in Europe though...
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:30 pm

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed a proposed switch to a diamond formation would be revolutionary as well as contradict much of the history at the Old Trafford club.

The 19-time Premier League champions have forever been associated with the traditional method of using wingers, with some of the club's greats plying their trade out wide, however the veteran coach has admitted the club may have to experiment with the unfamiliar narrow formation to become more unpredictable to opposition teams.

The change in style could be implemented during the Red Devils' Champions League encounter with Braga, and with the recent acquisition of Japan international Shinji Kagawa and Robin Van Persie, paired with the emergence of Tom Cleverly and Danny Welbeck, the long-serving manager is aware that the club may need to change tactics to give the squad more options.

"If it turns out we play the diamond consistently it would be revolutionary because it is going against our history," said Ferguson.

"But the level of the game in England and Europe now is so high that making yourself unpredictable is going to be a strength.

"Teams will have to think if we are going to use two out wide or the diamond because we have players capable of doing both things.

"Kagawa and Cleverley can play really well in the type of game that a diamond offers, whilst in Nani, Ashley Young and Antonio Valencia we have very good wide players."

The Manchester United manager is confident his team will be able to adapt to any change in formation, but admitted some players, such as the Japanese playmaker, may have to play a different role to the one they favour.

"The initial reason for taking him was his ability to play behind the strikers," said Ferguson. "In the last couple of games he has played middle to right.

"It is not a problem for him because he is still in a forward position and still has the ability to create as he does from the central part.

Shocked

No wingers confused No
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyBoy Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:07 am

Good we have relied too much on wingers, now it is time we strengthen our central pitch.
Oh and lol at the poster saying Fergie is overrated. The most important reason why we are at top even with a injury prone squad, with quite inferior squad compared to other big teams, is because we have this man. I know someone will poke my post by saying refs are our best player.

CrazyBoy
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by chinomaster182 Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:56 am

I didn't watch Ferguson back in the day like you, my earliest United memories are from the 90s and the Beckham era. Back then he played the basic 4-4-2 as he does so many times now, in fact there's a great article in the Blizzard Issue one magazine that argues that a big European loss against Vicente del Bosque Madrid team in the 90s was the first time Fergie had second thoughts on switching it up for Europe.

Xavi said what he said because theres the obvious big fight against Mourinhos team, but also because he grew up in revolutionary times for Barcelona and world football, he's one of the first and best La Masia graduates and he of course lives and dies under that philosophy.

However i disagree with Xavi, innovators are of course celabrated and remembered, but record setters like SAF and Mourinho will also go down in history as some of the all time greatest.

SAF is special in many ways, if i could boil it down to one big strength it would be his work ethic and passion he implants on his team. The way United can heavily rotate, take out world class players, bring in new blood, change formations, and the same hard winning mentality will remain. SAFs United go out to win no matter the circumstances.
chinomaster182
chinomaster182
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:47 am

Didnt United use to play a diamond with Beckham, Keane, Scholes and Giggs? At least thats what they played in fifa 01!
silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2