donttreadonred
RedOranje
Nishankly
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Aquilani or Sigurdsson Empty Aquilani or Sigurdsson

Post by Nishankly Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:50 pm

Before posting, Please clear your head about Aquilani's antics and Sigurdsson's deception.

Post with a clear mind, Meditation helps.

http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/mindbody/a/Meditation.htm

Imo, Aquilani, Has got a better reputation, Hasnt got injured injured in a while now, And made 25 appearances for Milan, could have made more probably but Milan probably want him cheaper next year or maybe free, his contract ends within 2 years. Also he was really good in the last few games he played for us, No idea why we loaned him in the first place.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Aquilani or Sigurdsson Empty Re: Aquilani or Sigurdsson

Post by Guest Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:57 pm

Siggy...Younger, more potential, less wages, more re-sale value in future, equally as good , no injury issues, and not a c*nt

I hate Aquilani.

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:03 pm

Schweini wrote:Siggy...Younger, more potential, less wages, more re-sale value in future, equally as good , no injury issues, and not a c*nt

I hate Aquilani.
Get over yourself and reread OP.

That said, the other points are legitimate.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:00 pm

As Sepi demonstrated, and Red so clearly pointed out, the intention of this thread seems only to highlight the inability of supporters to view things with anything resembling a modicum of objectivity. That said, I will do my best.

The first thing that comes to mind is, of course, the age factor. The advantage here must go to Sigurdsson, as he is younger and has the potential to improve and be a great player. To be honest, I believe he’s the closest thing to a direct replacement for Steven Gerrard that we’ve seen recently. (Shelvey is comparable, but younger and less developed in his game.) That said, we’ve seen how performances by young players at newly promoted sides working within tailored systems can have difficulty translating that to a larger stage with higher expectations. I’m obviously talking about Hendo and Charlie “Hollywood-Ball” Adam here. Granted, Hendo was played out of position, and never given a fair shake, but Adam had everything set up for him and simply failed to transfer his masterful performances in an orange shirt to a red one. He never really transferred his now infamous spot kick ability. (Does anyone remember the penalty shootout against Cardiff?)

Now, Sigurdsson’s situation is a bit different in that he would be coming over with his former manager, within whose system he excelled. That doesn’t change the step up in exposure and expectation, however. He would still have far more weight on his shoulders at Anfield (or White Hart Lane) than he did at the Liberty.

(Here, I have to mention that these expectations will only be enhanced by his lengthy and dramatic transfer saga. He’s not quite to the level of Fabregas or Hazard, but it has certainly not been under the radar.)

Position/Style of Play:
Of course, they are both CMs. However, their tendencies as CMs are very different. In Aquilani’s entire career, his best goal haul was in 2007-2008 at Roma when he scored 3 in 21 appearances. Sigurdsson scored 7 in 18 appearances for Swansea last season. I know some of us will be tempted to look at these stats and jump to a conclusion similar to this: “We didn’t score enough last season. Therefore, we need to sign Sigurdsson to score goals.” I’ll admit, it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. And, if Sigurdsson does come to LFC, I hope he continues that habit of scoring goals. However, looking at the squad in place and Rodgers’s intended system, it might not actually be the best idea to add another attacking midfielder.

Which type of player we need depends on how Rodgers intendsl deploy Steven Gerrard. To fill out his zone-occupying 4-3-3, Rodgers typically employs a staggered midfield with a DM who can distribute; a B2B midfielder who contributes to attack, but does not neglect his defensive duties; and a more advanced CM with a more attacking bent. Therefore, the question is, will Gerrard be the deep-lying playmaker (B2B midfielder) we saw for parts of last season under Daglish and at the Euros under Hodgson, or will he be the English trequartista behind Torres under Rafa Benitez?

One could make the argument that Gerrard and Sigurddson would be too attacking together. They would both push forward too quickly/often, abandoning their conceptual zones and subsequently Rodgers strategic foundation. Then again, one could also argue that Aquilani and Gerrard could do the same. (I would tend to disagree based on Aqua’s performances at Juventus two seasons ago and Milan last season. In both sides, he was very much a B2b, orchestrator in the midfield.)

In this aspect, I would actually take Aquilani’s passing ability and knack for combination play combined with Gerrard having more license to attack. While not a quality comparison, Aquilani could be our Pirlo, orchestrating attacks from deeper with Gerrard freed to create in the final third.

Verdict:
I’m going to say Aquilani. He has the potential to fill a much needed hole in the midfield for Rodgers’s system. We have an AM in Gerrard and a DM in Lucas. The CM is much more open for debate. Adam, Hendo and even Spearing could all fill in there. However, the quality of Adam and Spearing is questionable, and Hendo has yet to truly prove himself. In addition, I would argue that Aqua’s age (28 by the season opener) is actually beneficial here. He’s not replacing our young prospects; he’s allowing them to develop further. With Aquilani in the side, there is a more clear delineation between roles and successors. Shelvey will learn from/fill in for Gerrard/Cole. Henderson will do the same from Aquilani/Adam. If Sigurdsson comes, it could effectively kill Henderson or Shelvey’s chances at getting into the team. That’s fine if we loan one of them out, but if they sit in our reserves and rot, we will have just wasted another great youth prospect.

Therefore, in a vacuum, I would choose Aquilani. However, back in reality, Aqua may be unlikely to want to stay in Liverpool after we’ve essentially pimped him over in the past few season and never given him a good chance at making the squad. He also has yet to truly show his ability at Liverpool, and has had a knack for acquiring lengthy injuries. All of those are real world concerns that have not been taken into account. On the other hand, if the rumors are to be believed, Sigurdsson is at best trying to play Liverpool off of Tottenham’s deal and at worse he’s a bit of a Hazard-esque diva. These are not qualities that we want in our team. In reality, we’re deciding between two individuals looking to prove themselves at LFC (should they be at LFC come the season): one because of injuries and a lack of chances, the other because of his age. It’s an imperfect choice, but getting Xabi Alonso back is not an option.

As it appears, the most likely solution is for Henderson to retain his starting position as the B2B midfielder, allowing Gerrard to take the more advanced role. This would likely see Aquilani off to Go-knows-where, and Sigurdsson to replace Modric (Sigurdsson and Van der Vaart in the same midfield doesn’t sound like the best idea to me, though). If that happens, I’m okay with it. In the past, I’ve argued that our efforts would be better spent looking for a wide forward to replace Kuyt and eventually Bellamy, and I’m sticking to that conviction.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:21 pm

Could easily fit them both into the squad.

Aquilani has said he wants to talk to Rodgers so don't jump to conclusions that he wants to leave. He clearly wants to play. Both Roy and Kenny said he wouldn't be first-team so he left on loan.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:36 pm

ynwa wrote:Could easily fit them both into the squad.

Aquilani has said he wants to talk to Rodgers so don't jump to conclusions that he wants to leave. He clearly wants to play. Both Roy and Kenny said he wouldn't be first-team so he left on loan.
Don't think anyone would deny him if he truly wanted to play for LFC and contribute. The worry is that he's been treated so poorly in the past, it would be understandable if he just wanted to leave. That combined with his positive comments about staying in Italy after two mildly successful loan spells imply that he might not be enthusiastic to stay in England, much less Liverpool.

That said, as I stated in my post, I think he could be a real addition to the team if he is properly incorporated into the squad and manages to stay fit.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by vizkosity Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:59 am

I think siggy is an attacking mid, although he can also play CM but he's a SS/AMC
vizkosity
vizkosity
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:22 am

vizkosity wrote:I think siggy is an attacking mid, although he can also play CM but he's a SS/AMC
I believe we all recognise that. It's been taken into consideration.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Two and you're in Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:37 pm

Spend 8 million on a similar player or take a chance on a player that we already have who never really got his chance at Liverpool. Sorry no brainer for me.

Two and you're in
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 pm

It's a "no-brainer" for everyone now. Gylfi's a Spud, and it is looking more likely that Aquaman will be a red come next season.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:13 pm

Ouch, looks like you guys missed out Razz

Sigurdsson making the right choice.

I have my faith Aquaman can still do well with Liverpool...the mans got talent, and if he can channel that into performances I think Liverpool will have no problem with him.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:56 pm

CBarca wrote:

Only if Modric and VDV leave, which is going to happen i guess.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:02 am

Meh, I didn't want a money whore playing for us anyways. He'll be sad when we finish above Spurs Very Happy
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:00 pm

CBarca wrote:Ouch, looks like you guys missed out Razz

I have my faith Aquaman can still do well with Liverpool...the mans got talent, and if he can channel that into performances I think Liverpool will have no problem with him.
So, you're happy Modric and VDV are leaving?

Seriously, though... He doesn't fit into AVB's system WITH Modric and VDV. there's really only one place for an out-and-out attacking mid. If VDV stays that would almost assuredly be his spot, with Modric playing the deeper b2b midfielder. (Also, how do you feel about Sandro anchoring the midfield? Confident about that?) With THFC's current squad their likely to lineup like this:
--------------------ST (Adebayor?Remy?)
Bale--------------------------------------------------Lennon
--------Modric(replacement?)-VDV(Sigurdson)
------------------------Sandro

In the event that VDV and Modric leave, you would at least need another midfielder, likely one to handle the distribution and control the tempo of the game (the Modric role); a main striker, as you have yet to sign Adebayor on a permanent deal; and maybe even a DM if Sandro fails to live up to his potential.

Will be as interesting a summer for Tottenham as it will be for us.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:42 pm

It will be an interesting summer indeed. I'm very happy about the Andre Villas Boas acquisition and now we need the necessary signings to make it work. I enjoyed your response, thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed response.

For Modric and VDV, I am convinced that Modric will leave. I'm not happy about it, because as everyone should know by now, I'm the biggest Modric fan in this place, but it's going to happen. VDV I'm not too sure about but I think he will leave as well. And with Sigurdsson coming in, I don't think that he will be a significant loss. As Sigurdsson is much more a VdV 'replacement' than a Modric 'replacement'.

This does leave a gap in the midfield for a Modric type player. In an ideal world-especially with AVB as manager, that is Moutinho- who is a fantastic player, just 25, who is as dynamic as Modric is. Being able to play both the role of a CM, AM, and a holding mid, although he would most certainly be a CM playing the role Modric loved to play. Whether or not Spurs can get him is a question I don't know the answer to yet, and it will be interesting. There have been some links to him, but that would always be there given AVB and Modric's imminent exit. Another option is a very cheap one because he costs no money, that is Huddlestone. Whether or not he can operate the Modric role is debatable, but he does have the physicality, the passing range, and the technical skill to play the role to some extent.

As for Sandro anchoring, I'm personally OK with it. He is just 23 and has a lot of time to blossom into a fantastic player. He's already quite physically intimidating and doesn't have a problem holding the ball against anyone, he is not the most technically gifted Brazilian, but for a DM, he has enough, he's not the least technically gifted DM I've seen at all. In the future he will get better with that though, but we will see when the season starts. I have full confidence in Sandro.

The striker situation is definitely the weak spot in the squad. I have no idea what will happen on that front, but I would be surprised to see Tottenham not go for De Jong at all- since he is (22?) and that is the new future at Tottenham, as well as being a fantastic player. Any of Damiao, Remy, and Adebayor are in the running as far as I know, at the moment.

But that's enough about Spurs, what about Liverpool?

Where does Aquilani fit in at Liverpool, and what will his role be? I don't actually know much about Liverpool and the way your squad is shaping up as I hardly watch the EPL unless it's Tottenham playing.

Do you expect success with Aquilani?

And finally, what's the opinion of Liverpool fans now that Sigurdsson is no longer an option? Is he a player you guys are going to regret missing out on, or did he not have much of a place in the squad anyway?

Last edited by CBarca on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Alquilani lol)
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:37 pm

Who is Alquilani?
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:54 pm

Oops, thanks Red Embarassed
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:25 pm

CBarca wrote:
... But that's enough about Spurs, what about Liverpool?

Where does Aquilani fit in at Liverpool, and what will his role be? I don't actually know much about Liverpool and the way your squad is shaping up as I hardly watch the EPL unless it's Tottenham playing.

Do you expect success with Aquilani?

And finally, what's the opinion of Liverpool fans now that Sigurdsson is no longer an option? Is he a player you guys are going to regret missing out on, or did he not have much of a place in the squad anyway?

Sorry about the delayed response. I've been distracted by other things...

Here’s the problem; Aquilani’s been loaned and linked away so many times it betrays the player’s ultimate intention to leave. Honestly, I have real difficulty seeing him staying at this point. There are only a few things that may change this. One is Brendan Rodgers. If he comes in and installs Aquilani as a fixture in the starting 11 or at least an important player in the squad, Aqua might consider a fresh start with Liverpool. There is also the fact that there isn’t exactly a queue of clubs lining up for his services. Tbh, it’s hard to guess what might happen between now and September, regarding Aquaman. He might be here, or he may be in Italy. There’s a lot of transfer window yet to get through.

If he stays, I see him filling the more positionally disciplined B2B midfielder in Rodgers system. (That’s the middle of the 3 CMs, if you’re familiar with his zonal concepts.) This would allow Gerrard to take the more attacking role with Lucas covering as the DM. Aquilani has the passing ability and movement to fill this role very well. In his stint at Juventus, he acted as the focal point for much of their possession, controlling the tempo and starting attacks. He would take a similar role in Rodger’s system, perhaps sharing some of that responsibility with Lucas.

With the current players, there are several permutations of lineups that could be likely. Depending on who you talk to, you will get different answers on how you think the players will fit into Rodgers’s system. Including Aquilani, I believe the lineup could look something like this:
---------Carroll
Bellamy-----------Suarez
--------------Gerrard
-----Aquilani
----------Lucas

Other lineups could include Cole instead of Gerrard, Henderson instead of Aquilani, Adam instead of Aquilani, and even Shelvey instead of Gerrard. (Did you notice the decided lack of DM cover for Lucas… Yeah, some of us are rather worried about that one.)

If Aquilani stays, I hope he is able to become settled enough to put his heart into his play. I don’t want us to keep him solely because we can’t find a buyer. If he stays, I hope it’s because he wants to. If that is the case, he has the skills to fill a very important role in the new system/style. In that case, yes. I would expect success with Aquilani. Unfortunately, I can see him being “stuck” at Liverpool and subsequently putting in poor performances as he truly wants to leave. Hopefully, that is not the case come the season.

As for Sigurdsson, it was a blow to the club, but not for the reasons many believe. The symbolic loss is the worst thing from it. The perception of LFC losing out to Tottenham on Rodgers’s first foray into the market is what is bad about it. Sigurdsson would’ve been a good player, and he might’ve become important to Liverpool in the next few years. However, the CAM position isn’t the one we’re hurting for. We have Cole, Gerrard, Shelvey, and several youth prospects coming up that can take that role. Just as we have since Xabi Alonso left, we are lacking a B2B distributor of the ball. That’s not Sigurdsson. Last year, many thought that player was Adam… Here’s hoping the answer was actually at the club all along, and merely an outcast under previous managers. We’ll have to wait and see.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:47 am

Aquilani will play 100% if on the pitch. He's a lot like Tevez in that sense.

Not as melodramatic as Tevez off the pitch though.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:14 pm

ynwa wrote:Aquilani will play 100% if on the pitch. He's a lot like Tevez in that sense.

Not as melodramatic as Tevez off the pitch though.
I hope you're right. However, I'm not sure that it's true.

Bear in mind, I'm not saying he's going to put in half and effort intentionally. I'm saying that his heart may not be in playing for Liverpool Football Club, and I couldn't blame him. We haven't treated him well in his time here. You could see a change in his play as soon as it became apparent he wouldn't feature under Kenny. His first few preseason matches had us all excited about him coming into the squad last season. Then, he began to drag and disappear in games. If he gets "stuck" at LFC another season, that could very well be the case again. We won't really know until we see Rodgers's selection for the first few matches or Aquilani is actually moved on whether Rodgers was able to convince him to enjoy playing for the club or not.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:36 am

donttreadonred wrote:I hope you're right. However, I'm not sure that it's true.

Bear in mind, I'm not saying he's going to put in half and effort intentionally. I'm saying that his heart may not be in playing for Liverpool Football Club, and I couldn't blame him. We haven't treated him well in his time here. You could see a change in his play as soon as it became apparent he wouldn't feature under Kenny. His first few preseason matches had us all excited about him coming into the squad last season. Then, he began to drag and disappear in games. If he gets "stuck" at LFC another season, that could very well be the case again. We won't really know until we see Rodgers's selection for the first few matches or Aquilani is actually moved on whether Rodgers was able to convince him to enjoy playing for the club or not.

If he stays at Liverpool he'll play for the shirt regardless if he wants to move to Italy. He's a professional in that sense. His agent makes Alberto look like a twat.

Not sure if Rodgers will keep him but I'm hoping he stays. He's better than every midfielder we've been linked to (including Gylfi who went to Spurs). He would work well with Suarez as they both very creative in the final third.

He could help Gerrard's performance also. A midfield trio of Aquilani, Lucas and Gerrard would take that burden off Stevie to create and will go back to playing the game naturally. When he was rushed back from injury, it was only him and Spearing - as Leiva and Adam were out. That resulted in a chain of poor performances for him.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:41 pm

Thanks for the fantastic replies Donred, you never disappoint.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:41 pm

CBarca wrote:Thanks for the fantastic replies Donred, you never disappoint.
Thumbs up

It's nice to be appreciated. Always happy to be of service.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:00 am

donttreadonred wrote:
CBarca wrote:Thanks Donred, you never disappoint.
Thumbs up

It's nice to be appreciated. Always happy to be of service.

Lol, sexual innuendo.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Emaharg Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:33 am

Aquilani, Lucas and Gerrard would be such a boss midfield, all three quite complete midfielders. Just need another Wide player, Back up DM and possibly a defender and could make a push for top 4.
Emaharg
Emaharg
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next