donttreadonred
RedOranje
Nishankly
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Aquilani or Sigurdsson - Page 2 Empty Re: Aquilani or Sigurdsson

Post by Emaharg Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:33 am

Aquilani, Lucas and Gerrard would be such a boss midfield, all three quite complete midfielders. Just need another Wide player, Back up DM and possibly a defender and could make a push for top 4.

Emaharg
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:17 pm

Alberto Aquilani wants to prove himself at Liverpool
By Chris Bevan
BBC Sport Liverpool midfielder Alberto Aquilani says he is puzzled by his past treatment at Anfield but is hopeful of proving himself to Brendan Rodgers.

Aquilani, 28, is back with the Reds after two seasons in Italy on loan.

"How can you pay £20m for a player and this player is never taken into consideration?" he told BBC Sport.

"I never asked to leave but I was always pushed by the club. I am here and I would like to play for Liverpool but it doesn't depend only on me."

Aquilani played the first half of Liverpool's friendly defeat by his former club Roma in Boston on Wednesday, and new manager Rodgers said afterwards that he is still considering whether he has a future at the club.

But the Italian international playmaker, who has two years left on his contract and is keen to commit his future to the club, says his initial meetings with Rodgers have been encouraging.

Brendan Rodgers on Aquilani's future at Anfield
"Will he stay at Liverpool? That remains to be seen. I need to have a close look at Alberto. It's been difficult for him during his time in England, and this is probably the first period where he's felt happy, according to him, and he's working. I need to assess, and that's what I'm doing at the moment."

"I had a very good talk with Brendan where we were able to share our thoughts and it was a very positive chat," Aquilani explained. "I like his footballing philosophy and I like the mentality he has because it matches my own skills."

Aquilani was signed by Rafa Benitez but has not played a competitive game for the club since Benitez's departure in the summer of 2010.

Under Roy Hodgson and Kenny Dalglish, he was sent on season-long loans to Juventus and AC Milan, and says it has been frustrating not to be able to prove to Liverpool fans he can make an impact in England.

"The situation changed after Benitez left," Aquliani added. "In past years, I felt forced out. I never asked to go on loan but they made it clear it was better for me to go.

"I think Liverpool people have to know that I have never said I wanted to leave the city because my family and I were not happy here. This is not true.

"I cannot say I have unfinished business in English football because I really never played but, the little I did, I believe I was able to show to Liverpool fans that I have quality and that I could have helped the team."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18995512
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:17 pm

Oh, and Shelvey look's like the player Rodgers wanted in Gylfi... Razz
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:37 pm

ynwa wrote:Oh, and Shelvey look's like the player Rodgers wanted in Gylfi... Razz

Just needs to add some more goals to his game and he'll be a real quality squad player... That run and shot yesterday was Gerrard-esque.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:05 am

RedOranje wrote:
Just needs to add some more goals to his game and he'll be a real quality squad player... That run and shot yesterday was Gerrard-esque.
He showed his potential while at Blackpool last season. He's only now starting to really show it for us. Sure it wasn't necessarily the Roma squad that Zeman will trot out in Serie A, but it was darned close. Certainly far closer to a finished product than our squad was against Roma.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:21 am

Shelvey certainly found the goal a lot at Blackpool, but there he was playing almost as a SS rather than a CM or CAM. He's got a bit more developing to do before he's a real goal threat from midfield, but he definitely has the potential in him.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:48 am

RedOranje wrote:Shelvey certainly found the goal a lot at Blackpool, but there he was playing almost as a SS rather than a CM or CAM. He's got a bit more developing to do before he's a real goal threat from midfield, but he definitely has the potential in him.
From what I understand (didn't watch to many Championship games live), Holloway played him in a very similar way as Benitez played Gerrard: in the hole behind the striker as an out-and-out attacking midfielder. He's not going to have that role with Rodgers, as it doesn't exist in the current system, but he at least got a chance to develop his goal scoring. Against Roma, he certainly showed glimpses of those Gerrard-esque qualities and certainly validated the claims that he could be the next Stevie G.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:03 am

I don't believe we should be looking for a "new Gerrard." Gerrard is a one-of-a-kind player and it's a bit unfair to Gerrard to say he can be duplicated, as well as to the youngsters we're suggesting, by placing them in a predetermined role and burden of expectation rather than just letting them develop into their own players. Shelvey looks like he can and hopefully will go on to be an immense player for us, but he'll be the first Jonjo Shelvey, rather than the next Steven Gerrard.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:55 pm

[quote="RedOranje"][quote="ynwa"]Oh, and Shelvey look's like the player Rodgers wanted in Gylfi... :P[/quote]

Just needs to add some more goals to his game and he'll be a real quality squad player... That run and shot yesterday was Gerrard-esque.[/quote]

He looks class! Had the freedom to roam around, with Aquilani in that "defensive" side CM... and Shelvey really impressed me. He's actually becoming physically bigger, and when he scores his confidence will be sky high - and will turn into a Lampard than a Gerrard imo. He'll play Gerrard's "second striker" role, but won't have THAT influence Gerrard possesses. More that goalscoring creative player instead of taking the responsibility for every attack and lift the team.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2