Onyx
DidierDrogba11
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Adit
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Premier League's top shot stoppers from last season - Page 2 Empty Re: Premier League's top shot stoppers from last season

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:05 pm

RED 80s. wrote:We had the 2nd best defense in the league....yet DDG made the most saves because of our weak defense.... hmm

Not your weak defense as such, the cover given to the defence.....

It gave team's lots of space in the final third for much of the season and forced DDG to make lots of saves.

Like i said these stats are not representative of a GK's quality, not to say DDG isn't quality because he is it's just not an argument not be used to say why one GK is better than another.

It doesn't really show anything tbh, if it did then Henessay and others wouldn't be anywhere near this list.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Premier League's top shot stoppers from last season - Page 2 Empty Re: Premier League's top shot stoppers from last season

Post by NiallQuinnsdiscoPants Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:23 pm

I thought the point of a goal keeper was to make saves and stop shots, If you cant judge a keepers quality on the shots he saves what are you meant to judge him on.

In fact whats the point in having a goal keeper, he might as well be chopping up oranges and cutting the grass.
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:24 pm

NiallQuinnsdiscoPants wrote:I thought the point of a goal keeper was to make saves and stop shots, If you cant judge a keepers quality on the shots he saves what are you meant to judge him on.

In fact whats the point in having a goal keeper, he might as well be chopping up oranges and cutting the grass.

Do you consider Henessey better than Cech, Reina, Chesney etc etc?

Point is the whole thing is very misleading. I think we can all agree that Hart is by some distance the best keeper in the league.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:29 pm

NiallQuinnsdiscoPants wrote:I thought the point of a goal keeper was to make saves and stop shots, If you cant judge a keepers quality on the shots he saves what are you meant to judge him on.

:bow: :bow: :bow:
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:31 pm

So Henessay is the 10th best GK in the league because he made more saves?

I give up Laughing

There's much more to Goalkeeping than mere shot stopping.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:40 pm

Lower teams are going to concede more shots than top teams due to their teams. Those GK's aren't really going to concede all those shots.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by NiallQuinnsdiscoPants Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:20 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
Do you consider Henessey better than Cech, Reina, Chesney etc etc?

Point is the whole thing is very misleading. I think we can all agree that Hart is by some distance the best keeper in the league.

Define better.

Depends if your looking at the statistics over the season, or jumping on the name band wagon assuming names are better because they play for certain clubs and the hype they receive from fan boys.

I think its more a case of if your keeper is in the top 10 get the tissues and lube out, if not lets discredit it.

You say Newcastle would be higher had krul not conceded 5 in one game, Hennesey did it on multiple occasions ie against Fulham & Man Utd etc etc.

You could also use the excuse Wolves defended higher up the park so had more shots against them, its swings and round abouts.

But ultimately Hennesey stopped a greater percentage of shots put too him.

To me a goal keeper is there to make saves and stop shots and this is what should define him. Yes distribution can be brought into it but other players in the team can kick the ball up the park. Only the Keeper can stand between the posts and use his hands.
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:21 pm

Ok then so RVP is better than both Rooney and Aguero. Because i know a lot of people in this thread disagree, BUT he scored the most goals in the PL last season AND if you can't judge strikers on the amount of goals they score, what can you judge them on........
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:22 pm

Misleading stat tbh.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:29 pm

Lex wrote:Ok then so RVP is better than both Rooney and Aguero. Because i know a lot of people in this thread disagree, BUT he scored the most goals in the PL last season AND if you can't judge strikers on the amount of goals they score, what can you judge them on........

You're combining two areas though. I think Rooney and Aguero are better than RVP, but I wouldn't argue that they were better than him last season :coffee:

Just because Player X > Player Y doesn't mean Player Y can't out-perform player X in one season hmm
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:34 pm

We conceded more than 5 on many occasions, our whole team went to the shitter when we conceded a goal on the game.

No clue why.

Of course Henessay (sp?) will make more saves as he plays for a poor team so more shot's are fired towards his goal.

As i said when Given was at Newcastle he tops these lists every season....

Does that make him better than any other goalkeeper at the time? no it doesn't it just means he had more to do.

There's so many different variables to consider when comparing goalkeepers, just like there is with midfielders, defenders and strikers.

Of course a goalkeeper is there to make saves, but it's almost impossible to get a proper analysis through this as teams play differently, teams defend better than others etc etc.

There's a reason most of the goalkeepers in this list play for teams in the bottom half, it's because they have more to do.

I'm not discrediting the list btw, i just feel it's very misleading.

Let's put it this way if you did a similar list for across europe i would be very surprised if the list is dominated by the best GK's.

You just have less to do, because your team is in possession the majority of the time.

Take from this list what you will but i don't consider this to define what the best goalkeeper's in the league are.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NiallQuinnsdiscoPants Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:40 pm

Personally I think Given was one of the top 3 keepers in the league in previous seasons but his game as declined dramatically of late.

So how would you determine who and why were the best shot stoppers/keepers in the league last season if not considering shots stopped.
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:47 pm

I personally define from what i saw.

And personally the top 5 were Hart, Krul, Vorm, De Gea and Friedel.

They were the one's that i think when you go back and look won the most amount of points for their team, through making match winning or saving saves.

The rest of the top 10 would probably be Ruddy, Howard, Scezezney, Mignolet and Howard.

As far actual consistent performances go anyway, i would usually have Cech and Reina in the top 5 somewhere but i thought they had poor seasons.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NiallQuinnsdiscoPants Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:55 pm

Ok il put it a different way.

What makes Krul so much better than other keepers, especially if he isnt a shot stopper.
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by justdoit_ Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:00 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:I personally define from what i saw.

And personally the top 5 were Hart, Krul, Vorm, De Gea and Friedel.

They were the one's that i think when you go back and look won the most amount of points for their team, through making match winning or saving saves.

The rest of the top 10 would probably be Ruddy, Howard, Scezezney, Mignolet and Howard.

As far actual consistent performances go anyway, i would usually have Cech and Reina in the top 5 somewhere but i thought they had poor seasons.
Goalscoring Howard and goalkeeping Howard, I'm guessing? hmm Interesting choices...
justdoit_
justdoit_
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Tottenham HotSpurs

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:07 pm

NiallQuinnsdiscoPants wrote:Ok il put it a different way.

What makes Krul so much better than other keepers, especially if he isnt a shot stopped.

Because of how many times he saved our backsides and basically won us games with his saves by himself....

Hart aside i doubt many others won his team more points with important saves.

I don't have the stats to prove this, but he won so many point's with his saves.

He really was the difference between a fantastic season and what would have been an average one.

Well that and we had strikers who could score goals.

My list was more based on consistency and what goalkeeper's i considered won their teams points.

Plus i just looked at the OP and Krul's stats and Krul made 114 saves which is more than quite alot of people on people in the list.....

I could also use the fact only Hart kept more clean sheets and considering we had Simpson, Williamson and Ryan Taylor in the defence for the majority of the season you cant exactly say it's because our defence is the 2nd best...

The other thing is, although it doesnt matter a great deal i just found it interesting.

Krul caught more crosses than any other GK in the league.

Also i dont think he's so much better than anyone else, i think he's better but not by huge margins.

Apart from Hart who was the best IMO.

LOL Justdoit, i made an error there.... put Cech in there instead of goalscoring Howard Razz
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2