How well will Arsenal do this upcoming season?

+17
Emaharg
DuringTheWar
gunnerme
Sina
RealGunner
Sri
Wilson37
mizG4Lyf
Eman
Rev
Raptorgunner
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Mudcat
AnJl
EL Patron
MJ
Jay29
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

How well will Arsenal do this upcoming season? - Page 2 Empty Re: How well will Arsenal do this upcoming season?

Post by Sina Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:22 am

look at this in positive way
many teams already knew they will concede possession against us
they tried to push us out wide and force us to cross hopelessly
now we can scare them with Giroud Twisted Evil

Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

How well will Arsenal do this upcoming season? - Page 2 Empty Re: How well will Arsenal do this upcoming season?

Post by MJ Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:51 am

Sina wrote:look at this in positive way

My United mate is trying to convince me that Chicarito would bench Giroud if he came and that Bendtner is our best striker, even better than Prince Poldi and the White Drogba Laughing
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:18 pm

MJGunner wrote:
Sina wrote:look at this in positive way

My United mate is trying to convince me that Chicarito would bench Giroud if he came and that Bendtner is our best striker, even better than Prince Poldi and the White Drogba Laughing

You need more knowledgeable company, of fans not relying on comic characters. :coffee:

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by gunnerme Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:23 pm

I see us competing on all fronts even after RVP's departure... we ARE that good!
gunnerme
gunnerme
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:59 pm

I expect us to do better than last season despite van persie leaving for two reasons:

1. We lost a lot of points last season at the start because we had a terrible tranfer season. This year losing rvp is bad even though some want to spin it as otherwise, but overall the team is in much better shape than last year
2. We have player (cazorla) who is actually world class/near world class at keeping the ball under pressure, with intelligence and accurate passing, we desperately missed that last year. Van persie for all his quality was a striker and therefore couldnt raise the level of the teams performance, cazorla can do that. And also, there is wilshere, if he hadnt been injured for a year im absolutely convinced he would be our best player now, if he comes back strong this year it would be a massive boost to the team
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:46 pm

Hey guys, I'm a bit bored at the moment, so I thought I'd go in a bit more depth about our tactics.

How well will Arsenal do this upcoming season? - Page 2 AbDceNMacO

You may recall last season that there were times where Ramsey was being played on the left, such as Everton away. During that game, Arsenal played some really nice and fluid football where players were moving everywhere and Everton's defence was being carved open a lot. We attempted the same thing away to AC Milan, except that time it was Rosicky instead of Ramsey, and pretty much played this way with Yossi Benayoun towards the end of the season.

This ploy isn't something new. Wenger has always liked to have a creative midfielder playing on the left hand side (Pires, Rosicky, Nasri and Arshavin). During the 10/11 season, this ideology was proving to be a good once since Cesc and Nasri combined every week to produce some exceptional football. Since those two have left, though, it hasn't been the same.

Since then, we've tried Gervinho in that role and, later on, Chamberlain, but neither seemed wholly suited to it. When Benayoun started playing there consistently, and when Rosicky found his form, our football improved.

When we signed Podolski, my first impression was that he'd play as a left inside forward; pretty much the same as Walcott's role in the team. However, if the Cologne game is anything to go by, this won't be the case. In that game, Podolski seldom went to the byline and played closer to the centre. Looking at his second goal, for example, he starts the move from an inside-left position while Gibbs occupies the left flank.

This has been the case in other pre-season games, too. Andre Santos came inside a lot, likewise Gervinho and Walcott whenever they play on that side.

This is where having fullbacks like Gibbs and Santos is very important. Both players are good going forward and they're required to hold the width on the left hand side whilst also providing a threat.

On the other side it's slightly different. Walcott holds the width while Sagna provides support behind him. When Walcott ducks inside, Sagna moves into the space left behind. Similar to the left hand side, but not something that happens as often since Walcott likes dribble down the outside of defenders, too.

A obvious consequence to all this is the gaps left behind the two full-backs. This is where having good holding players becomes vital, as they will need to cover the vacated spaces. As you can see in the diagram, though, we don't really have that player since Song will go forward and Arteta doesn't sit that deep.

So there's two things to look out for: 1) the movement of the fullbacks and widemen and how they combine and 2) the spaces left behind in defence which may result in goals conceded.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:52 pm

Good bit of analysis there Jay.

Our back four would benefit a lot from signing a deeper sitting DM like Capoue or M'vila if Song goes. Also, I wonder how the right hand side will function with Sagna out. Too many factors to consider atm Mad
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:56 pm

i m quite excited about seeing santi cazorla...

problem with arsenal have always been defense.... so hope wenger has fixed that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Emaharg Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:50 am

Anyone know where we conceded most of our goals last season?
Set pieces? Counter attacks? Crosses?
Emaharg
Emaharg
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by GenBlizkin Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:10 am

I think we all forgetting Ramsey aswell, he played his best football with Cesc here, so if Cazorla fits that roll, then with a form turn around we should be 110% fine
GenBlizkin
GenBlizkin
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:32 am

GenBlizkin wrote:I think we all forgetting Ramsey aswell, he played his best football with Cesc here, so if Cazorla fits that roll, then with a form turn around we should be 110% fine
yeah.. True.. No one talks about his role this season or what position he should play..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by GenBlizkin Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:21 am

I think he could be our trump card, could look like the dumbest thing said this year
GenBlizkin
GenBlizkin
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:26 am

Raptorgunner wrote:
srigooner wrote:
Wilson37 wrote:
Raptorgunner wrote:The last time Manchester United faced Everton on the opening day, Arsenal won the title. :bow:
Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up

Was it also the last time we sold our best player and captain to them? :coffee:
With out Song and Walcott he is only half the player.

Whats the excuse when Song leaves? Without Arteta hes only half the player?
silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:27 am

silver wrote:
Raptorgunner wrote:
srigooner wrote:
Wilson37 wrote:
Raptorgunner wrote:The last time Manchester United faced Everton on the opening day, Arsenal won the title. :bow:

Whats the excuse when Song leaves? Without Arteta hes only half the player?

Do you have anything positive to say? Jesus, you're a morbid 'fan'.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rev Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:27 am

silver wrote:
Raptorgunner wrote:
srigooner wrote:
Wilson37 wrote:

Whats the excuse when Song leaves? Without Arteta and Ramsey hes only half the player?

Fixed it for ya. :coffee:

Rev
Rev
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:54 pm

Arsène Wenger is considering adopting a new three at the back system to solve Arsenal's defensive problems ( mirror )

What do you guys think about this ? Can it work or not ?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:02 pm

3-5-2 please.

Wenger is back :bow: :bow: :bow:

Szczesny
Koscielny Mertesacker Vermaelen
Sagna -------- Arteta Wilshere/Diaby -------- Gibbs
Cazorla
Giroud Podolski/Walcott

Need to sign another centre back though Laughing

Maybe even some attacking fullbacks aswell.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:36 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:3-5-2 please.

Szczesny
Cazorla
Giroud Podolski/Walcott

I like the line up but the only reason Wenger is changing so Ramsey can play more on the wings and not buy any more players. eco smile

Cheap way out if you tell me. :bow:

I dont believe Wenger will ever change his system, the papers are just running out of ideas, since they saw Arsenal cheif scout at Napoli game they started the guess games.

First we were after Cavani which will cost us over 30m, and we all know Arsenal will not pay 30m for Messi, so the papers changed their story to Arsenal formation. cheers rofl
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:10 am

Arsene started his career at Arsenal with a 3 line back: Remember Adams, Keown and Bould. Plus he played 10 minutes with 3 centre backs against West Ham this season, it's not totally impossible... but I doubt he'll change for the NLD though.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:12 am

Raptorgunner wrote:

urbaNRoots wrote:3-5-2 please.

Szczesny
Cazorla
Giroud Podolski/Walcott

I like the line up but the only reason Wenger is changing so Ramsey can play more on the wings and not buy any more players. eco smile

Cheap way out if you tell me. :bow:

I dont believe Wenger will ever change his system, the papers are just running out of ideas, since they saw Arsenal cheif scout at Napoli game they started the guess games.

First we were after Cavani which will cost us over 30m, and we all know Arsenal will not pay 30m for Messi, so the papers changed their story to Arsenal formation. cheers rofl
Thumbs up
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:16 am

Just reading the first post and having a laugh.. How things can change ?
Song was sold out easily.. The centre backs are giving nightmares.. And we were talking about depth..
Diaby and Rosicky never made it.. More than half of the squad is in the bed and who would have thought we would struggle to create chances..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:32 pm

Wilson37 wrote:Just reading the first post and having a laugh.. How things can change ?
Song was sold out easily.. The centre backs are giving nightmares.. And we were talking about depth..
Diaby and Rosicky never made it.. More than half of the squad is in the bed and who would have thought we would struggle to create chances..

I dont get Wenger, he gives Diaby a 4 year contract and sells Song the first chance he gets. Wenger gives up too easy, any big team comes in for our players he will give them up, he does not want to hurt their feelings. scratch

Wenger got so excited for the money he was getting for Song and sold him with out thinking. Imo Wenger thought he can turn, Ramsey to next Cesc and Coq to next Song.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:59 pm

I don't see the problem with selling Song, he is nothing special.... he is not a Cesc or a van Persie, just get over it.

The only problem is that Wenger didn't replace him, he thought Diaby would finally get over his injuries and he made a mistake by not buying a replacement, if he did get a replacement no one would even discuss Song's departure. Wenger can fix this by getting Moussa Sissoko this January, who can do much better than Song and can play when Diaby is injured (which is all the *bleep* time).
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:12 pm

Why not go for Capoue. He would tick every box, and can play anywhere at the back
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:12 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:I don't see the problem with selling Song, he is nothing special.... he is not a Cesc or a van Persie, just get over it.

The only problem is that Wenger didn't replace him, he thought Diaby would finally get over his injuries and he made a mistake by not buying a replacement, if he did get a replacement no one would even discuss Song's departure. Wenger can fix this by getting Moussa Sissoko this January, who can do much better than Song and can play when Diaby is injured (which is all the *bleep* time).

I trusted Wenger when he sold Song and was hoping we land Sahin but that did not work out, which I understand.

My problem is why give Diaby a long contract and sell Song? or at least give coquelin more games. Last year when Song and Arteta were playing I dont remember losing a game, why change that?

Song was making better passes than Cesc and if it was not for him RIP would not have had that many goals and we would not have been in top 4.

I am over Song, and Diaby, I have no faith in Diaby and we are in a position because of him. He is getting 60k a week for nothing.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:32 pm

I think he gave Diaby a new contract because Diaby is a massive talent and had faith in him like he did with van Persie, while Song was just a player who you can replace quite easily... besides Song wanted to move as soon as Barcelona knocked on the door.

Raptorgunner wrote:Last year when Song and Arteta were playing I dont remember losing a game, why change that?
Are you serious? Both played together all season and Song was proved to be a liability defensively, just look how much better we were when Diaby and Arteta were playing in the beginning of this season and compare it with Song last season.

Song can be replaced... my only problem is giving Diaby too much faith but I don't mind keeping him as long as we get someone else who can play there instead of him, and that's not Wilshere IMO. Arsenalfaithful gave another example who we can get Thumbs up there's Wanyama aswell, but I'm not completely sold on him yet.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next