Who do you think is/was the best central midfielder in the English Premier League era?

+14
aleumdance
Lord Hades
pewpew
jibers
Sushi Master
Arsenalfaithfull
McAgger
DuringTheWar
fatman123
Valkyrja
Zealous
RealGunner
The Franchise
Vlad the Impaler
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Who do you think is/was the best central midfielder in the English Premier League era?

Who do you think is/was the best central midfielder in the English Premier League era? - Page 2 Vote_lcap18%Who do you think is/was the best central midfielder in the English Premier League era? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 7 ]
Who do you think is/was the best central midfielder in the English Premier League era? - Page 2 Vote_lcap16%Who do you think is/was the best central midfielder in the English Premier League era? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 6 ]
Who do you think is/was the best central midfielder in the English Premier League era? - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Who do you think is/was the best central midfielder in the English Premier League era? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]
Who do you think is/was the best central midfielder in the English Premier League era? - Page 2 Vote_lcap42%Who do you think is/was the best central midfielder in the English Premier League era? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 42% 
[ 16 ]
Who do you think is/was the best central midfielder in the English Premier League era? - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Who do you think is/was the best central midfielder in the English Premier League era? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Who do you think is/was the best central midfielder in the English Premier League era? - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Who do you think is/was the best central midfielder in the English Premier League era? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]
Who do you think is/was the best central midfielder in the English Premier League era? - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Who do you think is/was the best central midfielder in the English Premier League era? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 38

Who do you think is/was the best central midfielder in the English Premier League era? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who do you think is/was the best central midfielder in the English Premier League era?

Post by Sushi Master Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:38 am

Vieira, but Scholes is also great.

Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Who do you think is/was the best central midfielder in the English Premier League era? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who do you think is/was the best central midfielder in the English Premier League era?

Post by jibers Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:07 am

Why Steven Gerrard is on there is behind me. The guy was never an outstanding CM. His best position was behinf the #9. Well I can't say, they all did different things. Best dictator was easily scholes, he was the only one of his level really. Keane and Viera are pretty even. Well I guess I'd pick scholes out of your list but not because he is 'better', just that his kind of player to find in the EPL is rare.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by pewpew Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:06 am

lampard, scholes, viera I'd say. But Essien at his peak is very underrated.

pewpew
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:02 pm

Lampard deserves more votes imo. In terms of attacking he smokes all the other guys on the list.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:16 pm

personally ithink lampard is more of an am than a cm , would go for scholes in this one , absolutely brilliant in his prime and still very good.
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:51 am

I voted for Cesc,\\if only Barcelone knew how to use him

if only
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Carlo Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:04 pm

I voted for Roy Keane but really its 50/50 between him & Viera.

Gerrard is close to them also, maybe even level with them.
Don Carlo
Don Carlo
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:37 am

The Franchise wrote:Vieira.

Had it all. Hugely technical, physical and all importantly tactical. Throw in his leadership and ability to always impact gameA very rich mans Yaya Toure..and I love Yaya Toure.

I know you are a huge Viera fan but I think Keane got the better of him a bit too much for me to rate Viera higher than Keane.
Ability wise Viera was better but Keane had that supreme and unshakeable will to win.Viera just didnt have that.
I pick Keane and Scholes.Cant separate them.Probably Scholes if i was pushed to pick one.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:36 am

I think Man Utd got the better of Arsenal, more than Keane the better of Vieira but fair enough.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:09 am

alexjanosik wrote:
The Franchise wrote:Vieira.

Had it all. Hugely technical, physical and all importantly tactical. Throw in his leadership and ability to always impact gameA very rich mans Yaya Toure..and I love Yaya Toure.

I know you are a huge Viera fan but I think Keane got the better of him a bit too much for me to rate Viera higher than Keane.
Ability wise Viera was better but Keane had that supreme and unshakeable will to win.Viera just didnt have that.
I pick Keane and Scholes.Cant separate them.Probably Scholes if i was pushed to pick one.

:bow:
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:09 am

Scholes easily for me. Of the midfielders of his generation in the EPL, he was the most complete from my point of view. Viera rivals him in technical ability, but not his unerring accuracy in the shot and that sets Scholes above him.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:30 am

The Franchise wrote:I think Man Utd got the better of Arsenal, more than Keane the better of Vieira but fair enough.

To an extent yes.But Arsenal back then had a very good team.Midfield was also quite good.United certainly didnt have a team that could be called head and shoulders better.
I dont remember all the games very well,but from what I can remember Keane did get the better of Viera on more than a few occasions.
Out of curiosity where do you rank Keane out of PL midfielders?

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:43 am

My preferred player is definitely Scholes... I just think he is that little bit above the other great players like Keane, Viera, Gerrard and Lampard... etc. (didn't see Robson).

I've got to ask though...

aleumdance wrote:I voted for Cesc,\\if only Barcelone knew how to use him

if only

Can you explain? Barca don't know how? How about you explain to us how Barca should use him then... I'd be very curious to hear an answer.

Completely changing our style of play and dropping superior players is obviously out of the question. So how would you 'Oh wise one' tell Tito to fit Cesc in?
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:44 pm

alexjanosik wrote:
The Franchise wrote:I think Man Utd got the better of Arsenal, more than Keane the better of Vieira but fair enough.

To an extent yes.But Arsenal back then had a very good team.Midfield was also quite good.United certainly didnt have a team that could be called head and shoulders better.
I dont remember all the games very well,but from what I can remember Keane did get the better of Viera on more than a few occasions.

I wont lie, I dislike Keane. The way he ruined another players career will always leave a black mark on him in my eyes and I cant help but think it plays a factor in me judging him. I think he is 3rd, after Scholes. Thats if we are excluding Robsen.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:18 pm

The Franchise wrote:
alexjanosik wrote:

I wont lie, I dislike Keane. The way he ruined another players career will always leave a black mark on him in my eyes and I cant help but think it plays a factor in me judging him. I think he is 3rd, after Scholes. Thats if we are excluding Robsen.

I agree Dani. Robson is our greatest player by a mile. Whenever he got injured out team fell apart. Most complete CM I have ever seen. His leadership and all out playing style is somethng we are lacking.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:08 am

There is constant problems with the term centre midfielder when comparing players. How can we say vieira was a better CM than scholes or vice versa? they are completely different and play a different role for their team.
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:16 am

Well I wouldnt say completely.

They are very different types of players without doubt, but they actually played similar roles for their teams. They just have a different way of doing it.

Both played with holding midfielders (Petit and Keane respectively) in a 2 man midfield and had the job of making the first progressive pass from the midfield, circulating the ball and having many touches or directly driving at goal, with and without the ball. They did all these things differently, but they both had those responsibilities while playing in somewhat similar set ups and had some level of defensive responsibilty.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2