RealGunner
Wilson37
EL Patron
AnJl
Jay29
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Arsenal 3 - 1 Olympiakos: Not the best display, but a good win in the end  - Page 2 Empty Re: Arsenal 3 - 1 Olympiakos: Not the best display, but a good win in the end

Post by Lex Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:55 pm

This is what I had to put up with for 90 minutes Shocked Shocked

Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Arsenal 3 - 1 Olympiakos: Not the best display, but a good win in the end  - Page 2 Empty Re: Arsenal 3 - 1 Olympiakos: Not the best display, but a good win in the end

Post by evian Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:59 pm

Kos + Vermae this combination is just not secure enough...
We really need Mertesacker's height and excellent positioning to defense crossing.

It is just not acceptable to me to see they two defensing one attacker but still get scored... :facepalm: :facepalm:

evian
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:12 pm

Raptorgunner wrote:
MJGunner wrote:I don't see how Gervinho can be left out of the starting XI now. He's been on point all season. I'd take a few frustrating moments a game for his goals and assists.

I dont think anyone wants Gervinho out, I just want us to have a proper striker.

Theo and Giroud. cheers

I agree. To get the best out of our front line and forward midfield I think that we need a striker that can hold the ball up with his back to the goal. Then make a decision to pass to someone making a run or turn and shoot. Kind of like rvp last year only with the huge upgrades of Podolski and Cazorla. Giroud is really the only option when anyone else plays the defense compresses the center of the field and if he is in there they tend to be a little less compressed. Probably because they see him as a threat when the wingers go down the side and cross the ball. Have not seen one team yet scared of us crossing when he is out.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:22 pm

Lex nice pics and video. :bow:
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:56 pm

Arsenal 3 - 1 Olympiakos: Not the best display, but a good win in the end  - Page 2 8053142476_83073344b6

King of Arsenal :bow:
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:13 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:Arsenal 3 - 1 Olympiakos: Not the best display, but a good win in the end  - Page 2 8053142476_83073344b6

King of Arsenal :bow:

In the Country of the blind, the one eyed man is a king!
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Raptorgunner wrote:

We have Podolski and Cazorla and we're in the land of the cyclops's? -_____-
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:29 pm

MJGunner wrote:
Raptorgunner wrote:

Well said.

Btw where is Sri? miss his posts.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Raptorgunner wrote:
MJGunner wrote:
Raptorgunner wrote:

Well said.

lol, nice sig quote.

Last I heard he had gone back to Germany and I'd assume he'd need a few days to readjust or something but that was more than a week ago.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:15 pm

MJGunner wrote:
Raptorgunner wrote:
MJGunner wrote:
Raptorgunner wrote:

Well said.

lol, nice sig quote.

Last I heard he had gone back to Germany and I'd assume he'd need a few days to readjust or something but that was more than a week ago.

I hope he is doing well and comes back soon to GL.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:29 pm

I'll pass that along to him! cheers
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rev Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:10 pm

Partyed the whole week so obviously didn't have time to watch this game, but half my consciousness was with Arsenal all the time.

By watching the highlights, I can only presume the first half was anything but a walk in the park. Olympiakos had their fair share of chances, and if they were a team with a bit more experience, let's say like Schalke, we might have not nicked the 3 points yesterday.

Here's hoping Giroud starts the game vs West Ham, he brings something different to this team, even though Gervinho's on fire atm.

We should pick up some momentum before the Schalke game by destroying some scrubs in the league. Twisted Evil
Rev
Rev
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:17 pm

I don't really mind who starts: Giroud or Gervinho... aslong as they don't both start.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:09 am

I still think Giroud is the better answer long term for Striker, with Gervinho coming off the bench for him.

I know Gervinho has been playing well and has been scoring goals... But his decision making.. I can't get over it and it is unforgivably bad at times. I feel like he kills chances for other players on our team because too frequently he doesn't know what to do with the ball. He just charges at brick walls of defenders instead of laying off and giving it to someone else who might have a shot at breaking through.

For me, Giroud while he hasn't been scoring, has been doing the right things, just not executing. He makes good decisions but just chokes because of the pressure and the adjustment of playing in a totally different league on a different stage. He is great in the air, is strong, defends well, and can win balls off of set pieces. He offers a lot of what this team desperately needs. He just needs actual starts to get going. 10-20 minute appearances isnt going to help him develop
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:16 pm

Wenger: "Olympiacos' goal against us? They have been champions in 14 of the last 16 years, but we're not happy with the goal. People underrate performances in Europe. Last year we took 4 points off Dortmund, people acted as if it was normal."
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Samuelj29060 wrote:Wenger: "Olympiacos' goal against us? They have been champions in 14 of the last 16 years, but we're not happy with the goal. People underrate performances in Europe. Last year we took 4 points off Dortmund, people acted as if it was normal."

Wenger. :bow: Thumbs up
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:52 pm

VendettaRed07 wrote:I still think Giroud is the better answer long term for Striker, with Gervinho coming off the bench for him.

I know Gervinho has been playing well and has been scoring goals... But his decision making.. I can't get over it and it is unforgivably bad at times. I feel like he kills chances for other players on our team because too frequently he doesn't know what to do with the ball. He just charges at brick walls of defenders instead of laying off and giving it to someone else who might have a shot at breaking through.

For me, Giroud while he hasn't been scoring, has been doing the right things, just not executing. He makes good decisions but just chokes because of the pressure and the adjustment of playing in a totally different league on a different stage. He is great in the air, is strong, defends well, and can win balls off of set pieces. He offers a lot of what this team desperately needs. He just needs actual starts to get going. 10-20 minute appearances isnt going to help him develop

While I think Giroud needs to be starting to actually find form and consistency, Gervinho's form in front of goals makes him undroppable at the moment. You can't just tell a player who has five goals in his last five games that he's going to sit on the bench.

Sure, you might boost Giroud's confidence by starting him, but you'd run a huge risk of damaging Gervinho's.

For now, as unfortunate for Giroud as this is, Gervinho needs to continue starting games. Not only is he scoring goals, but he's being clinical - 3 goals from 3 shots on target, I think the stat was.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:02 pm

This wont be a problem lol. Sooner or later, probably sooner, no one will be arguing to keep gervinho in the team.
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Rev Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Even if there's a small chance I would try playing a kind of 4-4-2 :
GK
Jenkinson Verma Merte Gibbs
Cazorla Arteta Coquelin Podolski
Gervinho Giroud

Of course it wouldn't be a flat 4 ala Tottenham but a formation which compliments our off the ball movement and interchanging between positions.

Cazorla a wide midfielder helping Arteta and co. out while Poldi providing some width and maybe changing with Gervinho from time to time to confuse defenses.

I'm not implying this could 100% work but trying this against some of our up coming games against smaller teams could be a way to break down sturdier defenses.
Rev
Rev
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2