RealGunner
Wilson37
EL Patron
AnJl
Jay29
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Arsenal 3 - 1 Olympiakos: Not the best display, but a good win in the end  Empty Arsenal 3 - 1 Olympiakos: Not the best display, but a good win in the end

Post by Jay29 Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:41 pm

Discuss away. Actually can't be arsed to type anything tonight. Laughing

Last edited by GoonerJay29 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Arsenal 3 - 1 Olympiakos: Not the best display, but a good win in the end  Empty Re: Arsenal 3 - 1 Olympiakos: Not the best display, but a good win in the end

Post by AnJl Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:42 pm

So, now who is going to die?
AnJl
AnJl
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Arsenal 3 - 1 Olympiakos: Not the best display, but a good win in the end  Empty Re: Arsenal 3 - 1 Olympiakos: Not the best display, but a good win in the end

Post by EL Patron Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:44 pm

Average performance but 3 points are important.
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:45 pm

Got the job done.. but not in a convincing way..
just focusing a more on the negatives..
Wenger played the fulll first team.. and inspite of dominating possession Arsenal struggled to create any chances in the first half... We could not play through the centre and was forced to play wide and tried to cross.. the sad thing is we never do this when Giroud comes.. And they had the better chances.. our defence i mean the centre-backs looked shaky.. some questionable tackling and decision making.. In the second half we saw a better Arsenal creating more chances.. especially after the 2nd goal which made the game more open... Cazorla was set free and chances came on..

Mannone - 6 good positioning and clean catching.. shaky in the air.. came out for an unchallenged take and caught it at his knee height only to fumble.. Laughing.. this guy is a professional...
Jenkinson - 7 solid.. keeping the consistency.. nee more of his crosses when Giroud plays upfront..
Koscielny - 6 not convincing enough... some questionable positioning and challenges..
Vermaelen - 6 he is not in good form atm.. i have never seen him being below par except for some offdays.. he used to bounce back the next game.. and charging forward at 2-1 in the 84th min should be answerable...
Gibbs - 7 great game at both ends.. but even at good positions he never cuts in or tries to shoot.. he reaches there and puts a cross without looking around..
Arteta - 6 kept things simple..
Coquelin - 6 i thought he was not upto the level.. we could have been better served if he played the deep role and sending Arteta more forward.. or we could have started Ramessi...
Ox - 6 tried hard.. decent crossing.. better player on the wings..
Podolski -6 anonymous except for the goal..
Cazorla - 6 marked out of the game in the first half. later he came deep and took the ball.. and great second half..
Gervinho - 7 good game.. didnt see the frustrating side of him today as he didnt have much of the ball.. seems to have more options when played at centre rather than at the wings..
Walcott 6 put in some decent crosses...
Giroud - 7 some good efforts.. he is so unlucky.. looked good.. i'm sure that he would have been in the score sheet if he started..
RAMESSI - 7 classy finish... :bow: CL suits him better.. should start next game instead of Coquelin..

Last edited by Wilson37 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:48 pm

2nd half was brilliant. 1st half was really shit

Gervinho was fantastic. Tried really hard and got the reward. Poor game by Ox. Podolski worked all night, great finish.

but our Fullbacks Shocked

Gibbs n Jenkinson take a bow :bow:

Less said about our CBs the better
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:14 pm

Mannone - Ok
Jenkinson - Great
Koscielny/Vermaelen - Average
Gibbs - Great
Coquelin - Ok
Arteta - Average
Oxlade - Horrible
Cazorla - Average
Podolski - Average
Gervinho - Great

Overrall: Average performance, but happy with the result. We don't create as much as we used to create, that makes me sad Sad but aslong as we get results I wont complain much even if it's frustrating.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:59 pm

Good game, I think the rain effected the game and the result that's matter. Diaby is missed very much and I hope Wenger stops with no striker bullshit and starts Giroud from now on.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:01 pm

Raptorgunner wrote:Good game, I think the rain effected the game and the result that's matter. Diaby is missed very much and I hope Wenger stops with no striker bullshit and starts Giroud from now on.

nice touch of Wengeritis, raptor Laughing
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:08 pm

gunnerlistick wrote:
Raptorgunner wrote:Good game, I think the rain effected the game and the result that's matter. Diaby is missed very much and I hope Wenger stops with no striker bullshit and starts Giroud from now on.

nice touch of Wengeritis, raptor Laughing
Embarassed
:bow:
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:14 pm

I don't see how Gervinho can be left out of the starting XI now. He's been on point all season. I'd take a few frustrating moments a game for his goals and assists.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:21 pm

MJGunner wrote:I don't see how Gervinho can be left out of the starting XI now. He's been on point all season. I'd take a few frustrating moments a game for his goals and assists.

I dont think anyone wants Gervinho out, I just want us to have a proper striker.

Theo and Giroud. cheers
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:26 pm

Olivier Giroud is currently leading the way in assists for us, with 3 to his name.

Giroud the playmaker. :bow:

Jokes aside, he did look impressive in the time he was on the pitch. I think he and Gervinho should start on Saturday for numerous reasons.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:27 pm

Theo made some good crosses we should start Theo also.

Theo and Giroud are made for each other. :bow:
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:04 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2212571/Steve-Bould-compares-Gervinho-Thierry-Henry-Arsenal-win.html

Bould, talk about pressure Laughing
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:13 am

Once I've finished uploading pictures/videos, I'll talk about the game Very Happy
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:20 am

Mannone 6 - I'm told he rolled the ball straight to an Olympiakos player early on, but I missed it as I was in the toilet Razz but from what I actually saw did ok. Made one good save early on and did ok in the air (an unnecessary punch aside). Really want Szczesny and Fabianski back fit though.

Jenkinson 7 - Nothing spectacular tonight, but his rapid development continues. Notice the cheeky back-heels in defence now. This guy actually has all the attributes a top-class full back needs - Pace, crossing, tackling, heading, determination. Huge fan of CJ now, what a difference 12 months makes.

Koscielny 6.5 - Improved performance tonight, albeit against much weaker opposition. However, made one crunching tackle which was fortunate the ref only gave a yellow for and was partly at fault for Olympiakos' goal - lack of communication with Vermaelen was horrid. Needs to up his game overall to last season's level.

Vermaelen 5.5 - Captain? Not on this evidence. Unlike Koscielny, Vermaelen could see Mitroglou infront of him, and decided to do nothing but let the striker get ahead of him and head past Mannone. No speaking with Koscielny on the goal at all it seems. Another poor incident was when Vermaelen strode out from the back four and passed straight to an Olympiacos player. Also, Walcott late on a counter attack crossed for....Vermaelen! What was he doing there? 2-1 up in Champions League dying minutes and he is up the other end. Madness. He is turning into the defender version of Alex Song - can't defend and loves going forward. Per, please come back.

Gibbs 7.5 - Excellent. Stamina is amazing. Over-lapping great. Defensively, like CJ, improving. Must stay fit. Thought Santos might have got a start tonight though.

Arteta and Coquelin 6.5 - Thought both were off the pace in the first half, lots of misplaced passes, especially from the latter, but improved in the second half to dominate midfield by and large. Arteta's lack of training, injury and need for a fitness test on Wednesday morning was probably evident at times. Will be back to his best for West Ham I imagine (and hope). Coquelin is a player I like a lot, but failed to take real advantage of a chance tonight with Diaby, Wilshere, Ramsey and Frimpong left out or injured.

Chamberlain 5 - Poor. Seems like his career is stagnating. Good goal against Coventry aside, has he done much this season? Can't really remember anything!

Cazorla 7 - Not at his ultra-best, but what he did do, he did with brilliance. Technically on another level to his team-mates. Unlucky with early free-kick effort.

Podolski 6.5 - Quiet night, but put in so much effort, particularly defensively helping out Gibbs. Scored the second goal - his 4th goal in 8 games for the club, very impressive figures.

Gervinho 7.5 - Our best player tonight. A goal and an assist, and lots of movement, passing and chance-creating. His goal was probably average goalkeeping too, but he did what he had to do, a nice hit. The assist was sweet too, a nice pull-back. Quickly turning into an important player for Arsenal - 5 goals in 7 appearances this season.

Last edited by Samuelj29060 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:32 am; edited 3 times in total
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:25 am

That was the first game ive seen cazorla live, great player.

Anyway, the first half was a bit of a struggle. Oly were very compact and made it very dificult to play through them. The only player that was comfortable at playing in the tight spaces between their defensive lines was cazorla and he wasnt really making himself available much for the ball, so we tended to pass the ball out wide where the space was and tried to play down the channels which wasnt very productive for us. Eventually when we got the goal it was due to cazorlas close control in a tight space opening more space for podolski who centred the ball and gerv struck him with the goalkeepers help. For their goal i thought it was kos' fault, hes in a funk atm and he needs to get out of it or we will have to bench him.
Second half was more open, we played better, passed the ball better, cazorla got on the ball more and did his thing, albeit he missed a sitter. When pod got his chance it never seemed in doubt, hes the only player we have that when he gets in a goalscoring position your confident hes going to bang it into the net. 3 points, top of the group Thumbs up

A number of people have started to say arteta isnt great when opponents press high up. I noticed this a long time ago and it was evident again today, his problem imo, is that he makes it obvious what hes going to do and he cant then quickly change direction and play a different direction, he seems to lack the mobility, or awareness, or both even, to disguise his game and play around intsense pressure. That makes it easier for opponents to press him, if they can tell what hes going to try and dont have to worry about getting outfoxed

ps jenkinson has improved a lot, but he overcommits a bit at times
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:48 am

Chamberlain 5 - Poor. Seems like his career is stagnating. Good goal against Coventry aside, has he done much this season? Can't really remember anything!

I agree with you here. The actual good things Chamberlain has produced in his Arsenal career thus far has been sporadic. He has the ability to do very good things and it does show - be it a dribble, a good shot, pass, cross, etc. He can do all that, but he fades out of games too often, hardly has any effect on others and often times tries to do much when on the ball.

For now, at least, he shouldn't be starting games. I think he still has a lot to learn and improve on before he can be a regular starter in the side.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:54 am

I was sat right next to the away fans Shocked

Arsenal 3 - 1 Olympiakos: Not the best display, but a good win in the end  Scaled.php?server=440&filename=imag0027gt

Cazorla :bow:

Arsenal 3 - 1 Olympiakos: Not the best display, but a good win in the end  Scaled.php?server=191&filename=imag0043kv

This wanker steward wouldn't let me film with my HD camera (but allowed everyone else to film with their phones scratch)

Arsenal 3 - 1 Olympiakos: Not the best display, but a good win in the end  Scaled.php?server=3&filename=imag0058lr

Poor Francis Sad

Arsenal 3 - 1 Olympiakos: Not the best display, but a good win in the end  Scaled.php?server=7&filename=imag0093tl
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:20 am

GoonerJay29 wrote:

I agree with you here. The actual good things Chamberlain has produced in his Arsenal career thus far has been sporadic. He has the ability to do very good things and it does show - be it a dribble, a good shot, pass, cross, etc. He can do all that, but he fades out of games too often, hardly has any effect on others and often times tries to do much when on the ball.

For now, at least, he shouldn't be starting games. I think he still has a lot to learn and improve on before he can be a regular starter in the side.

Thumbs up
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:06 am

as the lol.com artcle said.. lots of empty seats..
we sold out 60,000 tickets for our League cup match against Coventry when we are sure that we will play the kids and win..
but few viewers for a CL home tie which we were almost sure to win with a first team..
so Gooners prefer to the watch the youngsters more than the first team.. scratch
Arsenal ways... :bow:
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:17 am

Wilson37 wrote:as the lol.com artcle said.. lots of empty seats..
we sold out 60,000 tickets for our League cup match against Coventry when we are sure that we will play the kids and win..
but few viewers for a CL home tie which we were almost sure to win with a first team..
so Gooners prefer to the watch the youngsters more than the first team.. scratch
Arsenal ways... :bow:

selling tickets and number of people watching is not the same.

Alot of tickets are bought by third party sites who sell them
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:04 am

it's the only place here where I can post this, so here it goes.
Olympiakos did a great job defensively, dispite conceding 3. If you guys saw our games from the begining of the season till now you would have expected a 5-0 or something. We put up a good fight and Mitroglou's goal was just awesome.
As for Arsenal, I was particulary impressed with Jenkinson. I've seen the guys in some games last year and he seemed nothing special. In this game though he was great. A true fighter. Zervinho did whatever he wanted in our box and Cazorla is a maestro
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:01 am

First 15 minutes and second half in general was not Extraordinary but enough to win us the game.

A couple points in tactics...

Our full backs still cross the ball to nowhere.... Stop it!

When our central midfielders are overcrowded, our wingers only watch... This leads to losing possession and probably losing the game as well. I wish they had more freedom to operate in final third.

A couple points on individuals...

In Chamberlain's defense, he seemed to not understand instructions from the coach... I dont know what the hell he was told but he looked Lost and out of the game... Atm, Gervinho is the main man and wingers are just protecting.

Coquelin not tracking back when the greek player almost scored. Dont remember which minute. His overall game is good but not outstanding. He played better in 2nd half.

Happy with the result.

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:55 pm

This is what I had to put up with for 90 minutes Shocked Shocked

Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next