Cannavaro Laments Decline Of Serie A Defences

+3
Great Leader Sprucenuce
The Franchise
Onyx
7 posters

Go down

Cannavaro Laments Decline Of Serie A Defences Empty Cannavaro Laments Decline Of Serie A Defences

Post by Onyx Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:32 pm

Italy legend Fabio Cannavaro has said that the lack of quality in Serie A’s defenders is the reason to so many teams adopting the three-man defences.

The World Cup and Golden Ball winner was asked for his opinion on the tactical craze which has took over Italian defences all over the country.

During an interview with Sky Sport Italia, Cannavaro said: “The three-man defence has become fashionable because there are now fewer good defenders in one-on-one situations.

“As a result, coaches are looking to beef up that department.

“We, as a nation, must return to our origins because we have always been good at defending and we shouldn’t be ashamed of that” he concluded.

Cannavaro played for Juventus, Parma, Inter, Napoli and Real Madrid in his illustrious career.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Cannavaro Laments Decline Of Serie A Defences Empty Re: Cannavaro Laments Decline Of Serie A Defences

Post by The Franchise Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:34 pm

Another case of "back in my day, things were better."

I dont think teams play 3 at the bck because of bad 1 v 1 defence at all.

I think they play it for 1 of 2 reasons, sometimes both.

1. There arent so many dangerous flank players so why do you need fullbacks?

Teams are so centralized in Serie A historically that you can play 1 play down each flank to take care of the entire flank himself offensively and defensively without getting 2 v 1'ed.

2. When you have 3 at the back its easier to build under pressure. You can spread out further across the pitch and give yourself more time on the ball.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Cannavaro Laments Decline Of Serie A Defences Empty Re: Cannavaro Laments Decline Of Serie A Defences

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:40 pm

The Franchise wrote:Another case of "back in my day, things were better."

I dont think teams play 3 at the bck because of bad 1 v 1 defence at all.

I think they play it for 1 of 2 reasons, sometimes both.

1. There arent so many dangerous flank players so why do you need fullbacks?

Teams are so centralized in Serie A historically that you can play 1 play down each flank to take care of the entire flank himself offensively and defensively without getting 2 v 1'ed.

2. When you have 3 at the back its easier to build under pressure. You can spread out further across the pitch and give yourself more time on the ball.

Not to mention that Italian football is a lot more offense based than it was back in the day.

I don't care what anyone says but if you attack as a team rather than defend as a team then you will obviously see more goals no matter who is in the backline.

This decline bullocks is rubbish and quite frankly stinks of nostalgia.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:02 pm

If anything it speaks to the lack of proper fullbacks in my opinion

Not to mention that Juventus, under Ranieri, had a HORRIBLE back line and was still a top 3 team in Italy with a defence of something like:
Molinaro-Chiellini-Legrottaglie-Grygera

So, I can't say I'm upset to see three central defenders when they simply outclass their fullback competition

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:00 pm

For starters, there are barely any teams that play with 3 at the back but five. Fed up to point that out.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:16 pm

free_cat wrote:For starters, there are barely any teams that play with 3 at the back but five. Fed up to point that out.

WB =/= FB.

It might not agree with your opinions on football, but that is simply fact. WB have different duties than FB, and while when defending they will fall back to defend as well, they are generally more offensive than FBs.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:43 pm

Lord Spencer wrote:
free_cat wrote:For starters, there are barely any teams that play with 3 at the back but five. Fed up to point that out.

WB =/= FB.

It might not agree with your opinions on football, but that is simply fact. WB have different duties than FB, and while when defending they will fall back to defend as well, they are generally more offensive than FBs.

full BACK, center BACK, wing BACK.

Wing backs are defenders and that's a fact. I'm fed up with people who doesn't understand football saying that 5 men defences are 3 men defences. It's ridiculous.

If wing backs are not defenders, Barça plays with 2 defenders.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:03 pm

free_cat wrote:
Lord Spencer wrote:

WB =/= FB.

full BACK, center BACK, wing BACK.

Wing backs are defenders and that's a fact. I'm fed up with people who doesn't understand football saying that 5 men defences are 3 men defences. It's ridiculous.

If wing backs are not defenders, Barça plays with 2 defenders.

"The wingbacks are defenders with heavier emphasis on attack. The name is a portmanteau of "winger" and "full-back". They are usually employed in a 3–5–2 formation, and could therefore be considered part of the midfield. But they may also be used in a 5–3–2 formation and therefore have a more defensive role.

In the evolution of the modern game, wingbacks are the combination of wingers. As such it is one of the most physically demanding positions in modern football. Wingbacks are often more adventurous than right- and left-backs and are expected to provide width, especially in teams without wingers. A wingback needs to be of exceptional stamina, be able to provide crosses upfield and defend effectively against opponents' attacks down the flanks. A defensive midfielder is usually fielded to cover the advances of wingbacks."

It is therefore due the tactical set up the manager chooses where the WB are forming a 5 man defense, or a 5 man midfield. Of course, most who employ a 3-5-2 will make it a 5-3-2 if being pressed by their opponents. There is no rule in football that says that a WB must be by definition a part of defense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football_positions#Wingbacks_.28RWB.29_or_.28LWB.29
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:06 pm

Serie A is undergoing a transition that I think will evolve into a re-emergence with a new identity which will be the finished product of what we're beginning to see from younger sides like Roma, Napoli, Inter and Fiorentina. The hope is that this leads to a resurgence and while we're still a ways from that, the signs have been quite promising just from what I've seen this season.

So Cannavaro is wrong to say Serie A's in decline and his call for us to go back into the dark ages of catenaccio is just not the way to go.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:08 pm

Lord Spencer wrote:
"The wingbacks are defenders with heavier emphasis on attack.

You could have stopped there.
Wing backs are defenders. A defence with 3 CB and 2 WB is a 5 man defence.

Otherwise Barça plays with just 2 defenders.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:10 pm

I think it is more than 5 than 3 at the back too, I agree with free.

If the opponent played 2 wingers for example, the wingbacks would be the ones defending them, not the centerbacks.

Its all relative to how much of the ball you have of course.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down