+3
BarrileteCosmico
lenear1030
Mr Nick09
7 posters

Go down

the oprah apology thing Empty the oprah apology thing

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:52 pm

an article posted on Grantland (american blog for american sports mostly). since Armstrong is about to come out of the closet they posted a blog about the sports apology that should happen, and two footballer were in there. it was pretty funny so i thought i would share.

4. Diego Maradona ("I owe you one, England.")

The Setting: Maradona's Patagonian mountain retreat. Maradona, whose face is suffused with a kind of tragic dignity, is wearing an eye patch and a rayon bowling jacket that reads "Daddy-O." In one window, a spectacular mountain vista stretches on and on. Oprah is reserved, respectful of cultural differences but slightly nonplussed by the way the parrot on Maradona's shoulder keeps croaking Nietzsche quotes.

The Apology: "I handled the ball. It was not God. I have said before that it was God, but in fact it was I, Diego. After a certain point one can only look back on one's deeds with the sadness that comes from distance. However often I relive the scene in my memory, I cannot reinhabit the body of the man who scored the goal with his hand. I am cut off from him, yet in some way responsible for his actions. Miss Winfrey, does anyone truly comprehend time? I know very little about theology, and yet I confess that my thoughts do wander. I think to myself: If my hand moved to touch the ball into the net … well, who moved my hand? If the referee did not see … well, who averted his eyes? Who made Steve Hodge unable to play a simple clearance, who designed Peter Shilton to be so improbably slow? Can we not say, Miss Winfrey, that the hand of God moves everything, in time? That we are carried away from ourselves by a current we cannot comprehend, toward an end we cannot see? I apologize for whatever part I share in this, to me, impenetrable mystery. Now if we still have a moment I will fetch my acoustic guitar and play 'Call Me Phoebe,' a delightful song parody I have written from the perspective of my favorite Friends character. Chocolate sunbeam tangoberry."

Oprah's Verdict: "Sometimes the hardest thing is to learn to forgive yourself. The message today is, It's never too late."

Six Months Later: Maradona replaces Arsene Wenger as the coach of Arsenal, wins 18 consecutive Premier League championships.

2. Cristiano Ronaldo ("I apologize for … what am I apologizing for again?")

The Setting: Oprah's studio. Cristiano's Ed Hardy x True Religion stonewashed jeans define a complex space in which the cool and the uncool swallow each other's conceptual underpinnings. His face radiates with a strange, faint shine, like the waterproof membrane of a raincoat. Oprah is wearing a pantsuit. The pantsuit is navy. The mood in the studio is uncertain.

The Apology: "Hello, Oprah. Thank you for having me. I want to say I'm sorry for … well, whatever it is that I have to be sorry for. It's something, right? I mean, it's not clear to me, but it definitely seems like I ought to apologize. I work hard, I play well, I'm a pretty responsible person. You don't see me in a lot of embarrassing nightclub incidents. I like flashy clothes and I date beautiful women, but come on. You wouldn't, if you were a 27-year-old multimillionaire celebrity? So maybe it kind of seems like I don't have anything to apologize for. Hahahahaha! I know! It seems funny to me, too! There's an apology that needs to come out of this mouth, for sure. So for … that thing that makes you feel … that way you feel about me for … those reasons that you have, I am truly … something. Sorry! I'm truly sorry. Oprah, I thank you for this opportunity to speak."

Oprah's Verdict: "I think there's hope for you, Cristiano. But it's going to take more than words. It's going to take actions. Vague, undefined actions that you will perform for a long time."

Six Months Later: Ronaldo scores 57 goals in 52 games. Messi wins his ninth straight Ballon d'Or.

Laughing

the rest here
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8834874/lance-armstrong-oprah-10-sports-apologies
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

the oprah apology thing Empty Re: the oprah apology thing

Post by lenear1030 Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:16 pm

Maradonna as Arsenal's manager? lol this is a neat thread though
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:02 am

I think to myself: If my hand moved to touch the ball into the net … well, who moved my hand? If the referee did not see … well, who averted his eyes? Who made Steve Hodge unable to play a simple clearance, who designed Peter Shilton to be so improbably slow? Can we not say, Miss Winfrey, that the hand of God moves everything, in time?
My abdominal sides rofl
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:04 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
I think to myself: If my hand moved to touch the ball into the net … well, who moved my hand? If the referee did not see … well, who averted his eyes? Who made Steve Hodge unable to play a simple clearance, who designed Peter Shilton to be so improbably slow? Can we not say, Miss Winfrey, that the hand of God moves everything, in time?
My abdominal sides rofl

Best part of it, it made feel the slowness of Shilton right here at the couch.

Dat writing :bow:
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:07 am

Laughing
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:30 am

that just brilliant writing, keep reading it, doesnt get old
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by justdoit_ Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:37 am

Grantland <<<<333333
Bill Simmons (best writer in sport) <<<<<3333

Brilliant site.
justdoit_
justdoit_
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Tottenham HotSpurs

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:02 am

Oprah is reserved, respectful of cultural differences but slightly nonplussed by the way the parrot on Maradona's shoulder keeps croaking Nietzsche quotes.

My abdominal sides rofl

Btw Nietzche wasn't a nazi but whatever
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:22 am

i dare you to read the ronaldo apology and not use his voice in your head.

impossible.

haha i can hear him saying that. though i dont really remember that, why was he (fake) apologizing?

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:51 am

vanDEEZ wrote:i dare you to read the ronaldo apology and not use his voice in your head.

impossible.

haha i can hear him saying that. though i dont really remember that, why was he (fake) apologizing?

Laughing

rofl
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down