Sri
Sina
RealGunner
MJ
Jay29
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Arsenal 1 - 0 Swansea City: Really should have been a thrashing Empty Arsenal 1 - 0 Swansea City: Really should have been a thrashing

Post by Jay29 Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:29 pm

Going into the game, there was one interesting tactical change, probably forced thanks to having certain key midfielders all fit at the same time for the first time this season. With Abou Diaby back and having a guaranteed starting spot in the side, one of Jack Wilshere or Santi Cazorla had to make way from a central position. Tonight, Cazorla played on the left hand side, while Wilshere played as our further forward midfielder.

First Half

Like in the initial game with these two, the first half was something a drab affair. Arsenal started brightly and had some good moments in the final third, but were let down several times by their decision making as they often opted to play that extra pass or take on that extra man when they didn't need to. "Shot shy" would probably best describe our attack in the first half.

Swansea threatened a couple of times, but weren't much of a force to be reckoned with. They had some good periods of possession, but only because our pressure was, again, very lacking. A couple of players would press but the rest of the team wouldn't follow.

They had a great chance to score with Bartley hitting the crossbar (again) with a header. Our marking from the set-piece was not good there at all.

We had a couple of great chances, too. Walcott had a shot blocked which he should have done better with, while Vermaelen missed a sitter on the stroke of half-time.

It wasn't a bad first half, but more was certainly needed from Arsenal to win it.

Second Half

Only one team was in it in the second half.

Swansea made little effort to take the game to us and seemed to try and sit back and soak up pressure. Unfortunately for them, Arsenal were actually in the mood for once and created chance after chance.

The first real great chance fell to Walcott. Played in beautifully by Diaby, he managed to dink the ball over Vorm but miss the target. Okay, not the easiest chance, but one you would have expected him to put that away, given his form this season.

Walcott would go on to miss a couple more very good chances - one which he tried to volley in from close range, but really should have just let it drop and then smash it and one which he put way wide after getting in behind Swansea's back line.

Walcott wasn't the only one to be lacking end product tonight. Giroud, industrious all game, didn't have much luck in front of goal, putting a header wide and often not being able to get on the end of chances, either because he lacked the pace or because of a loose touch. Cazorla blazed a couple of shots over the bar, while Wilshere, brilliant at creating the space, couldn't quite get enough shots way on goal.

Wastefulness in front of goal aside, this was the most fluid and energetic I've seen Arsenal in a while. Diaby played a very disciplined role in midfield, allowing Coquelin to venture forward and Wilshere to focus entirely on attacking. Cazorla drifted in and out of the game, but still proved important in keeping Arsenal's passing fluid. On a whole, we weren't so predictable going forward.

The only goal of the game came from the best player of the night. Cazorla played a good pass into Giroud, who touched into Wilshere's path. Wilshere proceeded to then belt it in from outside the area. It was the most decisive bit of a play from an Arsenal tonight and not surprisingly it resulted in a goal.

Is this the best set-up?

Recently, it seems that Arsenal's best games have been the games that Wilshere has proved the most influential. When Wilshere is allowed to get forward, get into advanced positions and run at defences, it opens up more spaces for other players to exploit. Playing in a deeper position doesn't allow him to do this.

The role Diaby played tonight shouldn't be overlooked. He was disciplined all night and was a very solid base that Arsenal could work from.

Cazorla has struggled when given constant attention and has been marked out of games a lot this season, which is why a free role on either flank may suit him best. With the attention largely on Wilshere in the centre, Cazorla could find some space on the pitch.

Of course, with Cazorla on the flank, you may lose a bit of balance and work rate, which is something Podolski provides. We were hardly tested defensively tonight, so it'll be interesting to see if this proves a problem in the future.

Consistency is needed

The performance was great but we've seen many times this season that we can't sustain these types of performances over a period of games. The win and performance should give us confidence, but it's absolutely vital we do it again. We need to be more clinical, and we need to improve our set-piece defending. And we do still need a couple of new players.

So overall, a good night, but still important to not get carried away and put in similar performances from here on in.

Last edited by GoonerJay29 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Arsenal 1 - 0 Swansea City: Really should have been a thrashing Empty Re: Arsenal 1 - 0 Swansea City: Really should have been a thrashing

Post by MJ Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Jacky Boy Heart

And Giroud the assist machine :bow:
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Arsenal 1 - 0 Swansea City: Really should have been a thrashing Empty Re: Arsenal 1 - 0 Swansea City: Really should have been a thrashing

Post by RealGunner Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Wilshere. Back to his best. He is now in Beast mode.

Was absolutely immense as the No 10.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:32 pm

Arsenal 1 - 0 Swansea City: Really should have been a thrashing IbeBz2FSGlsUus
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:32 pm

Szcesney to Swansea strikers: I didn't really Michu today trololol

jack the lad Heart :bow:

cant believe he could do this after playing that way vs city

cant get jaded Razz

it was the destiny

to get swans in cup
and show we can dominate them

27 shots to 7
10 on target to 0!!!
that sczc save of ki was going out anyway

13 corners mainly wasted though

Last edited by Sina on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:34 pm

Jack.

Wish we had more like him.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:35 pm

Arsenal need a lead player on the attacking side. We have a bunch of pretty good players and an off form cazorla. There is no difference maker on the team. Please Wenger lol.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:37 pm

sportsczy wrote:Arsenal need a lead player on the attacking side. We have a bunch of pretty good players and an off form cazorla. There is no difference maker on the team. Please Wenger lol.

Cazorla needs a breather. Atleast after Chelsea this weekend.

I expect a youthful line-up against Brighton, but thats for another day.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:00 pm

Any transfer will do, any transfer will do drinking

lol, someone more clinical? (walcott and Giroud could use some assistance)
Arsenal 1 - 0 Swansea City: Really should have been a thrashing 6ea3c830a219c09a4c4152c26d43a80cArsenal 1 - 0 Swansea City: Really should have been a thrashing EdinsonCavani-celebrates110912G300

or someone technical and creative (Cazorla needs a breather and Rosicky can't be his backup if he's this unfit)
Arsenal 1 - 0 Swansea City: Really should have been a thrashing 6ea3c830a219c09a4c4152c26d43a80cArsenal 1 - 0 Swansea City: Really should have been a thrashing Adrian-lopez
or someone to play the midfield anchor role (Diaby has been good but obviously we're better off relying on wet tissues and Arteta being injured is a sobering reality that he can't do it alone.
Arsenal 1 - 0 Swansea City: Really should have been a thrashing 6ea3c830a219c09a4c4152c26d43a80cArsenal 1 - 0 Swansea City: Really should have been a thrashing MohamedDiame-celebrates121201R300

Take your pic Mr. Wenger. :coffee:
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by hetro Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:02 pm

Jack was brilliant for second match in a row. Man of the Match even without the goal for me.

Anyone else wondering why Walcott is taking all of these set pieces though? It seems as though Cazorla should be serving those from pretty much any angle (i.e. both corners and most free kicks).

hetro
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:22 pm

Few months ( seems like years ) ago Walcott delivered few fantastic crosses and freekicks. Since then he has been taking them with the failure rate of 90% Laughing
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:44 pm

Arsenal 1 - 0 Swansea City: Really should have been a thrashing BAxK_9YCIAA9BT5
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:45 pm

RealGunner wrote:Few months ( seems like years ) ago Walcott delivered few fantastic crosses and freekicks. Since then he has been taking them with the failure rate of 90% Laughing

Sell him while we can? eco smile
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by djoe26 Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:01 am

Wilshere, Gibbs & Diaby :bow: Coquelin played really well too. Walcott and Giroud played so-so today.
djoe26
djoe26
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:07 am

Wilshere with a masterclass performance. If anyone else was playing like him it would have been at least 3-0. He needs to play in the attacking midfield role like that every time.

Cazorla and Jack partners in attack >>>>>> Arteta and Jack playing towards the back
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:10 am

Szczesny - N/A: I could have gone in goal tonight Razz
Sagna - 7
Mertesacker - 7
Vermaelen - 7.5
Gibbs - 7.5

Diaby - 7
Coquelin - 7
Wilshere - 8.5

Walcott - 6
Giroud - 6.5
Cazorla - 6.5

Good win. Now to Chelsea.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by getdarker Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:36 am

Thanks you Arsenal and Wenger for putting players in the box banana
getdarker
getdarker
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:42 am

Well I was out in the city, couldn't watch it ):

I'm curious as to how we lined up with Cazorla on the wing, so if someone could tell me the formation..

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:55 am

Match was not telecasted due to United and Chelsea matches.. I am happy to see us making use of Wilsheres offensive abilities.. Cazorla has been ineffective for many matches as CAM.. And Diaby adding balance to our midfield..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:19 am

beatrixasdfghjk. wrote:Well I was out in the city, couldn't watch it ):

I'm curious as to how we lined up with Cazorla on the wing, so if someone could tell me the formation..

There is no taking away anything from his quality. But he has been clearly overused and is 'jaded' or 'tired' or 'needs a breather'. Hopefully, he can dig in a bit against chavs. But he deserves a break, and soon.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by halamadrid2 Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:16 am

wilshere had one hell of a game didnt put a foot wrong 10/10 performance from him, vorm was another great game by the keeper.

I have to say tho theo was a little nonchalant with his shooting, I couldn't help but think that especially when he wss free on goal on the left hand side and tried to curve it really half heartedly missing the target completely. Another thing I noticed is that girourd is a strong man and decent passer but he is nowhere to be seen inside the box. so unless arsene fields two strikers with girourd playing off the shoulder this guy will turn out to be just another chamack sadly imho
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by BeArsenal Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:45 am

I've seen the recap. Great match, we should have scored more.

I'm a bit dissapointed by walcott, he should have scored far more!

Great match by wilshere, and we need someone like diaby all of the time. Someone who controls the midfield and recognise his defensive duties.

I really think this is a great setup, altough I would put podolski up front.
I never got it why we leave such a talented and great player on the bench, okay he hasn't been at his 'best' but he scores goals and gives assists and I feel he can do more than giroud.

BeArsenal
BeArsenal
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by evian Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:59 pm

missed the match Crying or Very sad

May I ask if it was a 4-4-2 formation??????? affraid Thumbs up

Wenger :bow:

evian
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:50 pm

Wilson37 wrote:Match was not telecasted due to United and Chelsea matches.. I am happy to see us making use of Wilsheres offensive abilities.. Cazorla has been ineffective for many matches as CAM.. And Diaby adding balance to our midfield..

Move to Canada, they show all the games. :bow:

I have been lucky so far, every Arsenal game has been on TV and many more other EPL games. All CL games on TV.

Last edited by Raptorgunner on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:01 pm

evian wrote:missed the match Crying or Very sad

May I ask if it was a 4-4-2 formation??????? affraid Thumbs up

Wenger :bow:

Nah it was 4-2-1-2-1 kinda formation.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next